Old 04-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
passion_fruit
Really Experienced

Posting/emailing audio

This might have been a better place to post this.

If I wanted to create audio versions of any of the stories on the main lit site to be sent to other posters (some have expressed a liking for an English accent) what would I need to do? Obviously I'd credit the author and not claim the work as my own but should I ask the author's permission first? If I was reading out one of your stories what would you think?

Old 04-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #2
DreamCloud
Really Experienced

I would think permission would be needed. I wouldn't think many would turn you down as long as credit was given.

Yes, a British accent is very pleasant to an American's ear.

My Stories

Old 04-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
passion_fruit
Really Experienced

No problem, I haven't done any so it's not like I need to scramble for permission after the fact Thank you for your opinion.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
vibes
scarred wanderer

Stories are copyrighted so, yes, the author's permission is required

Old 04-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
bogusguy
Literotica Guru

Better safe than sorry. Some authors are...shall I say...temperamental! Ha!

Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
bogusguy
Literotica Guru

Lot of stories have been "stolen" so they have every right to be protective of their hard work

Old 04-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
passion_fruit
Really Experienced

I can understand that, just not sure if crediting the work would be enough but you're right. Better safe than sorry.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
toben3297
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by passion_fruit View Post
This might have been a better place to post this.

If I wanted to create audio versions of any of the stories on the main lit site to be sent to other posters (some have expressed a liking for an English accent) what would I need to do? Obviously I'd credit the author and not claim the work as my own but should I ask the author's permission first? If I was reading out one of your stories what would you think?
Count me in. I'd love to hear your voice. I'll PM me and I'll give you my info.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #9
NaokoSmith
Honourable Slut

I have written a blogpost about how to record audio stories. Not that I personally ... *cough cough* .

You can also find stories to be read aloud on the Gone Wild Audio site at reddit. I hope it won't be taken amiss my mentioning a rival site here, since people often read the story and upload the recording both to Gone Wild and to Literotica - in some cases very successfully, see my review of TheRavenFox's story Perfect.

Submission. I mean my submissions.

Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men -- the other nine hundred and ninety-nine follow women. - Groucho Marx.
You can follow me on my review blog: Feminist Erotica

Sweet dreams are made of this. Who am I to disagree? I travel the world and the seven seas.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #10
RejectReality
Literotica Guru

As far as sending it to other posters via email on here, everyone has it covered.

I'm not sure how Laurel would handle the posting of an audio created with the blessing of the author. It is a duplicate of an existing story, after all.

Something tells me she'd post it without a fuss, but if you do get permission and decide to post some on the story side of the site, you'll probably want to run it by Laurel in a PM first.

This is far out in the endgame, but keep in mind that you can link to other pages on Literotica in the text attached to the audio. Since the original story text already appears on the site, I would assume that all you would post for the text portion would be a quick intro and author credit.

So, you can provide a functioning link to the original text story on your submission. The html tags would be typed directly into the text when you submit. An example using one of my own stories:

This reading of <a href="https://www.literotica.com/s/taste-the-rainbow">Taste the Rainbow</a> is provided with the permission of the author.

Which would look like this when posted to the site.

This reading of Taste the Rainbow is provided with the permission of the author.

A direct link credit will benefit the original author more than a text acknowledgement.

Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Send in the Clone

08/26/14
Summer Lovin'
Dip in the Lake

09/05/14
One Incredible Costume

10/30/14
Taste the Rainbow

04/10/15

Old 04-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogusguy View Post
Better safe than sorry. Some authors are...shall I say...temperamental! Ha!
It's not a question of authors being temperamental. It's their property. By law in any country that's signed the Berne Convention, their written permission is required.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #12
Zeb_Carter
.-- - ..-.

There is...

Text With Audio - Erotica with aural accompaniment. (1872)

...category to which audio stories can be posted.

As for duplication, I don't think that would be a problem.

A better suggestion is to PM the Author, of course depending on how old the stories are you might not get a response, to get their permission. Then email them to the file for posting here at Lit. with the information that you are the lovely voice telling their story.

I wouldn't object if that was the way you did it.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #13
passion_fruit
Really Experienced

I was intending to email/pm the file to interested parties rather than post, unless demand is overwhelming of course I guess I will just PM the author of whichever story I choose and explain. To simplify things I'll start with my one and only published story and see how well it's received.

Thank you for your help.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #14
njguy1002
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by passion_fruit View Post
I was intending to email/pm the file to interested parties rather than post, unless demand is overwhelming of course I guess I will just PM the author of whichever story I choose and explain. To simplify things I'll start with my one and only published story and see how well it's received.

Thank you for your help.
Published story?

Old 04-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #15
passion_fruit
Really Experienced

Submitted to literotica, sorry, bad choice of word.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #16
Desiremakesmeweak
Literotica Guru

I doubt my stories are all that suitable to being read out loud, but, I wouldn't have a problem with someone doing that as long as they attributed the (my) writer's name.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #17
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

That's nice for you, but that doesn't have much to do with the wish of others to protect their ownership rights under the law or with the responsibility of those wanting to use the material to do so properly and within the law.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:21 PM   #18
Desiremakesmeweak
Literotica Guru

I'm pretty sure I made a lot of money sometime ago from licencing IP rights in the US, and from that particular experience, the concept of 'proper' and 'within the law' is vastly different in the US compare to say, the UK where patents and copyright were invented - I believe, around the time of King James.

Unless you or your agents and/or legal team actually control the process of distribution, there are no effective means to secure payments back to you in any of these matters in any quick duration of time, and without significant costs along the way that will never be recouped at any stage - in the event that you are going to have to sue someone, which you will almost always need to, ESPECIALLY in the US.

Which is why, around the rest of the world today, in regard to any potential usage in the American marketplace or by American-based exploiters, the phrase 'producer rights' is now the preferred way to look at this.

In other words, if YOU PRODUCE, you have commercial rights, whilst if you 'only' create, you might not have as many actual rights as you thought.

In all practicality, I doubt whether it is really true any longer that there are such things as 'copyrights' as such in the USA - although I admire your optimism and sense of strong purpose.

If I thought I personally would need to preserve rights to anything in particular that I wrote, then I certainly wouldn't just publicly stick the material up on the net - it's no different to private selfies loaded somewhere onto the net in reality other than an anachronistic belief in creator's 'rights' being enshrined in law and that these will be obeyed generally, and enforced by authorities.

As far as advising other writers goes, I think it is high time we all started to be practical about it and face the modern reality of things as they are.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 PM   #19
Desiremakesmeweak
Literotica Guru

The 'wish of others,' Pilot, as you know... 'If wishes were horses...'

Old 04-16-2015, 12:24 AM   #20
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Perhaps. But this is the Author's Hangout. Authors would be dumb to make light of the proprietary rights of other authors and artists here wouldn't they--well, unless they were totally self-centered schmucks.