Old 10-31-2004, 06:24 PM   #251
McKenna
wandering

Now that's what I call a nap. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

Old 10-31-2004, 08:41 PM   #252
lucky-E-leven
Aphrodisiaddict

I love Halloween and know that somehow, next year, I'll be running wild with all 4 of my favorite ghoul and goblin girls.

~~~~

Even though she's far away, I'm happy knowing that somewhere in New England tonight, there's a crazy robed woman running around spooking small children and she's all mine.

~lucky

Old 10-31-2004, 08:53 PM   #253
Edward Teach
Mellow

Quote:
Originally posted by lucky-E-leven
I love Halloween and know that somehow, next year, I'll be running wild with all 4 of my favorite ghoul and goblin girls.

~~~~

Even though she's far away, I'm happy knowing that somewhere in New England tonight, there's a crazy robed woman running around spooking small children and she's all mine.

~lucky
What are you dressed as, little girl?

Old 10-31-2004, 08:58 PM   #254
RebeccaLeah
Path

Quote:

~~~~

~lucky
Awwwwwww.

Old 10-31-2004, 09:03 PM   #255
lucky-E-leven
Aphrodisiaddict

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward Teach
What are you dressed as, little girl?
I don't know what you call it exactly, but the shirt must be a little too tight because at three of the houses we went to the guys manning the candy bowls emptied them into my daughter's pumpkin.

~lucky

Old 10-31-2004, 09:12 PM   #256
RebeccaLeah
Path

Quote:
I don't know what you call it exactly, but the shirt must be a little too tight because at three of the houses we went to the guys manning the candy bowls emptied them into my daughter's pumpkin.

~lucky
Good choice.....

Old 10-31-2004, 09:24 PM   #257
Edward Teach
Mellow

Quote:

~lucky
I can dig it. Ours was last night. I ain't gotten over the mama dressed in the Star Trek spandex body suit thingy yet. I don't know what she was, but she was a good 'un.

Ed

Old 10-31-2004, 10:49 PM   #258
McKenna
wandering

Is it "dike" or "dyke?" I'm not up to date on my lesbian vocabulary. In Dutch it would be "dijk," but then the story would be about structures built to prevent the sea from flooding the landscape, not lesbians.

My English spelling has gone to hell ever since I learned to read/speak/write Dutch.

Who am I kidding, I don't know how to write a lesbian story, and I wouldn't want to insult my lesbian friends by trying. I don't know any gay men. Maybe I should write a gay men story instead.

Gay for a Day?

Oy vey.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:52 PM   #259
carsonshepherd
comeback kid

McKenna, join the rest of the female gay authors. Some of them are very, very fine, SlickTony is one. You won't insult us. Promise.

It's "Dyke", my lesbian friends say.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:55 PM   #260
Colleen Thomas
Ultrafemme

Quote:
Originally posted by McKenna
Is it "dike" or "dyke?" I'm not up to date on my lesbian vocabulary. In Dutch it would be "dijk," but then the story would be about structures built to prevent the sea from flooding the landscape, not lesbians.

My English spelling has gone to hell ever since I learned to read/speak/write Dutch.

Who am I kidding, I don't know how to write a lesbian story, and I wouldn't want to insult my lesbian friends by trying. I don't know any gay men. Maybe I should write a gay men story instead.

Gay for a Day?

Oy vey.
It's Dyke. Dike is what you call a levee.

Personally, I think you can write whatever moves you. Lesbian isn't all that much different from any other scene you write, unless you make it out to be in your head. I don't think anyone would take offense to you trying the genre, I would personally bemore than happy to help with ideas, suggestions, an extra set of eyes, whatever you needed.

Vegetarian, thats like the indian word for poor hunter isn't it?

"Seriously Fuckable" according to one of lit's best looking ladies

Colleen's memberpage

Colly’s darker side

Old 10-31-2004, 11:16 PM   #261
cloudy
Alabama Slammer

Quote:
Originally posted by Colleen Thomas
It's Dyke. Dike is what you call a levee.

Personally, I think you can write whatever moves you. Lesbian isn't all that much different from any other scene you write, unless you make it out to be in your head. I don't think anyone would take offense to you trying the genre, I would personally bemore than happy to help with ideas, suggestions, an extra set of eyes, whatever you needed.

And Colly's very good at helping, I promise. My one lesbian story wouldn't exist if not for Colly and Lucky, and it hasn't gotten slammed too hard.

Dear politicians and/or assorted twats who are against immigration,

We would be glad to help you pack.

Sincerely, Native Americans

Old 11-01-2004, 12:06 AM   #262
McKenna
wandering

Quote:
I would personally bemore than happy to help with ideas, suggestions, an extra set of eyes, whatever you needed.
Thank you, dear.

Blurt:
HealthyChoice fudge-pops are the best.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:45 AM   #263
impressive
ennui

Quote:
It's Dyke.
What is the origin of this word? I've always wondered.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:49 AM   #264

Quote:

~~~~

~lucky
theres a light at the end of the tunnel and i can actually see it. fabulous!
had a blast but know it would have been much better if you had been there to fill out my robe (but ofcourse, while i was wearing it)

Old 11-01-2004, 05:53 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally posted by impressive
What is the origin of this word? I've always wondered.
im sure its not the final say but this is what i found:

This term for a lesbian is a clipped form of bulldyker, an American slang term that dates to at least 1906. The clipped form dyke doesn't appear until 1931. The origin is unknown, but the fact that bulldyker is the earliest known form by several decades limits the possibilities significantly.

Douglas Wilson, in Comments on Etymology, Vol. 31, No. 9, May 2002, outlines an interesting hypothesis. He speculates that it may be from Boadicea, the Celtic warrior queen who led the ancient Britons in battle against the Romans. Boadicea's name is also commonly spelled Boudicca or Boudica--forms which can be easily corrupted into bulldyker. The metaphor of an Amazon-like warrior queen for a man-like woman is clear. Boudicca's true sexual orientation is irrelevant (and impossible to determine after two millenia); what is important is the image and the metaphor. Wilson suggests the appearance of the term at the turn of the 20th century may coincide with a renewed interest in the story of Boudicca. A famous London statue of Boudicca in a chariot was dedicated in 1902 and Queen Victoria's death in 1901 invited many comparisons with past English queens, including Boudicca.

Wilson is not the first to make this leap. Judy Grahn suggested in her 1984 book Another Mother Tongue that Boudicca may be the inspiration for bulldyker. But Grahn suggests that that the term dates to Boudicca's days, which is completely untenable. The term is recent, even if the source of its inspiration is old. (Note that the Boudicca hypothesis is speculation. It's interesting, but speculation nonetheless.)

The word is apparently unrelated to dike, meaning an earthen bank used to hold back or control the flow of water, a dam. This sense of dike dates to the 13th century and probably comes from the Old Norse dik.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:13 AM   #266
impressive
ennui

Quote:
Originally posted by vella_ms
im sure its not the final say but this is what i found:
Thanks, Vella.

I was too lazy to Google myself

Old 11-01-2004, 06:16 AM   #267

Quote:
Originally posted by impressive
Thanks, Vella.

I was too lazy to Google myself
i figured as much. what are friends for if not to google when they dont wanna?!

back atcha

Old 11-01-2004, 07:27 AM   #268
lucky-E-leven
Aphrodisiaddict

Quote:
Originally posted by vella_ms
theres a light at the end of the tunnel and i can actually see it. fabulous!
had a blast but know it would have been much better if you had been there to fill out my robe (but ofcourse, while i was wearing it)
Thank goodness.
and
It'll happen.

~lucky

Old 11-01-2004, 09:31 AM   #269
McKenna
wandering

Flannel sheets, yummy.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:32 PM   #270
McKenna
wandering

The Author's Hangout is nothing more than a mini GB (General Board.)

Last edited by McKenna : 11-01-2004 at 01:38 PM.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #271

Are they writing novels there, too?

Old 11-01-2004, 01:50 PM   #272

Old 11-01-2004, 01:55 PM   #273
impressive
ennui

Quote:
Originally posted by rhinoguy
all the drama, and back stabbing and pettiness, flirting, and ignoring, and cybering and PMing in one condensed package..where everyone knows all the players.
BLURT: I am SO freakin' oblivious.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:57 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally posted by rhinoguy
AIN'T IT cozy!?

all the drama, and back stabbing and pettiness, flirting, and ignoring, and cybering and PMing in one condensed package..where everyone knows all the players.
It's nice to be appreciated.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:07 PM   #275

Closed Thread