Writers Block ~ Muse Needed

cremebrulee

only hard on the outside
Joined
Dec 23, 2002
Posts
1,286
Somebody save me from this!!!
I am a songwriter who has suffered a few pretty nasty happnins
over the past few years, and the well has run dry. I have not been able to write for quite a while. In the past, songs came from sizzling encounters (hot) and unrequited love (those were sappy), but lately I have been just out of it. I start to write and can't get past the first line, which always sounds too contrived to even begin to be useful for anything but a fire starter.
Now, if I could find a MUSE... someone to create passion in me, desires and fantasies... that would be a start towards a cure.
I've found that if life is either too complicated or too mundane, I CAN"T WRITE ANYTHING. I don't claim to be great at writing, but something at this point to get things going again would be better than nothing.

HELP.

~Creme:kiss:
 
cremebrulee said:
Somebody save me from this!!!
I am a songwriter who has suffered a few pretty nasty happnins
over the past few years, and the well has run dry. I have not been able to write for quite a while. In the past, songs came from sizzling encounters (hot) and unrequited love (those were sappy), but lately I have been just out of it. I start to write and can't get past the first line, which always sounds too contrived to even begin to be useful for anything but a fire starter.
Now, if I could find a MUSE... someone to create passion in me, desires and fantasies... that would be a start towards a cure.
I've found that if life is either too complicated or too mundane, I CAN"T WRITE ANYTHING. I don't claim to be great at writing, but something at this point to get things going again would be better than nothing.

HELP.

~Creme:kiss:

The hardest part of block is that you begin to press. you start to push for it to come back, and that just makes the probability of getting something out even more remote.

I would suggest making time for an evening alone. Take a hot bath, just soak, relax. Lie down with a hot book or video or whatever moves you and just try to enjoy it. Sometimes, the biggest step you can take towards writing, is to take a big step back from it.

Best of luck

-Colly
 
Re: Re: Writers Block ~ Muse Needed

Colleen Thomas said:
Sometimes, the biggest step you can take towards writing, is to take a big step back from it.
I tried this. Didn't help. I'm still unable to write anything as curse has it's own way. Oh, Lord. What I'm doing? Look at me. What am I doing? For the love of God, look at me go! I'm writing! I'm writing! Oh, Jesus, Mary and Joann, I'm writiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.
 
Re: Re: Writers Block ~ Muse Needed

Originally posted by Colleen Thomas
The hardest part of block is that you begin to press. you start to push for it to come back, and that just makes the probability of getting something out even more remote.

I would suggest making time for an evening alone. Take a hot bath, just soak, relax. Lie down with a hot book or video or whatever moves you and just try to enjoy it. Sometimes, the biggest step you can take towards writing, is to take a big step back from it.

Best of luck

-Colly

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I have tried stepping back for a while now and it hasn't really helped. I think the motivation is what I need to work on. I just can't stay wiht it, Yes, before anyone asks, I am depressed as hell, but I have been before and still written LOADS of music.
The bath and the hot book sound good;) I'll try that and expect nothing but a hot bath and the book and take it from there.
Unless there is some young thing willing to say wonderful things to me as I lay there, adding rose petals and pouring my wine while he tell me stories if his travels and dreams. Must have a good naked chest for that, doncha think?
Seriously tho....
I do appreciate your post and I agree ~ I have pushed things too much in the past. Now I need to stop pushing AWAY frlom the whole thing.

Points well taken

~Creme:kiss:
 
Re: Re: Re: Writers Block ~ Muse Needed

Originally posted by ChilledVodka
I tried this. Didn't help. I'm still unable to write anything as curse has it's own way. Oh, Lord. What I'm doing? Look at me. What am I doing? For the love of God, look at me go! I'm writing! I'm writing! Oh, Jesus, Mary and Joann, I'm writiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

Har har har.
Maybe I should take some chilled vodka into that HOT BATH?

I can write, it's just all total CRAP and I quit before I torture my brain with it further.

:rolleyes:
 
Re: Re: Re: Writers Block ~ Muse Needed

cremebrulee said:
The bath and the hot book sound good;) I'll try that and expect nothing but a hot bath and the book and take it from there.
Unless there is some young thing willing to say wonderful things to me as I lay there, adding rose petals and pouring my wine while he tell me stories if his travels and dreams. Must have a good naked chest for that, doncha think?

~Creme:kiss:

See, now, I think that's a great start. Take that glass of wine into the bath and imagine that guy with the bare chest and imagine the things you'd like him to say to you...and later you can write them into a song.
 
I just read your Gratefully Tutored story. You never posted a promised sequel. If that story is true, perhaps the sequel is a warm memory that will be easy to write, and help unblock your jam.
 
Re: Re: Re: Re: Writers Block ~ Muse Needed

cremebrulee said:

I can write, it's just all total CRAP and I quit before I torture my brain with it further.
All total CRAP?

Relax. That means you can sell loads of your stuff for rip-off prices! :D

Seriously, take a look at the shit on TV, radio, etc. etc.

And Patricia Conwall still makes it to bestseller lists!
 
My pleasure creme...I remember reading it and thinking it contained some very good advice :)
 
I'm a songwriter, too. One thing that really hurt my productivity, as far as quantity, was that I was celibate for 11 years. I realized that the more sex I have the more I write songs. I still wrote during that 11 years, and some of my best stuff came out of that time, but the inspiration came sparingly.

One thing I do to kick any kind of block is to be creative in another way. Sometimes I might feel like writing a song and it's just not coming, so I'll write a poem, or work on my next book. Maybe I want to work on my book and the ideas aren't coming, I'll go play my guitar or draw. I learned not to worry when the ideas don't come unbidden. Just go where the ideas are and when I'm ready I'll get to that song or whatever it may be.
 
Re: Re: Re: Re: Writers Block ~ Muse Needed

cremebrulee said:
Har har har.
Maybe I should take some chilled vodka into that HOT BATH?

I can write, it's just all total CRAP and I quit before I torture my brain with it further.

:rolleyes:

First of all, what an absolutely marvelous handle: cremebrulee. Kudos for that.

Your post quoted reminded me very strongly of Zoot's post not even a month ago. He writes pretty much constantly now, but he said he did then, except that he was convinced that it all was pure crap, and that added to his despondence.

==insert rummage through the threads on the boards===>

Aha
from Zoot (dr_mabeuse):Yes, they are crutches if you want to look at it that way. So are heart medication and insulin and antibiotics, I suppose.

I only know that I was unable to write for over 20 years because of my depression, which told me that everything I wrote was crap, and I was unable to do most of the things I saw people around me doing, like taking any pleasure in accomplishments or finding satisfaction in work or relationships, and I always blamed myself. It was always my fault but I couldn't do anything about it. That's how depression works.

Personally, amphetamines work better for me and I self-medicated for many years, but they're illegal and anti-d's are the best I can do. They don't make me high, they don't make me especially happy. They do relieve me of the most crushing pain and despair and on the whole make life more worth living, and if that's a crutch then just call me a cripple.
Now that I look at it, though, I'm not altogether sure it's applicable or that it contains anything you can use.

Back later.
 
Creme (also love the name, and the dessert): I like what Boota says. I begged off a couple writing opportunities recently cos I knew it would be more effort than worth it (i.e., not pleasurable). So for an outlet I have been doing photography work for the past couple months. Another creative project recently was making an ornate costume for someone. I know I'll get back to writing but for now I am enjoying the photography.

Best to you, Perdita
 
Okay, I'll tell you what I did when I found the creative impulses evaporating (in part, PM me if you need more). I got a hat. It's gone now, but I find I can pretend I have it.

A song is like haiku or sonnet-- a very brief form, which cannot contain a long story without turning into a ballad. Even ballads hit just the high points, although sometimes very well (as Ewen MacColl's "Jesus Was A Working Man," for instance).

The kernel of a song can be one line, overheard. Like "Eight Days A Week," genesis of, see references...:)

So I put on my hat, which was a big-game hunter hat, and hunted for kernels. Listening everywhere for the cool, evocative thing. A poster in the city, a trenchant word in a bar. Of course, you need to go to cities and bars for those, but that doesn't exhaust the list of possible venues.

Bars cost too much, so I have people over to the house for talk nights, and buy the bottles if I want that sort of thing, but the principle is the same.

That hat did the trick. Get a hat and hunt. Do not, as this whole idea implies, think about where the creative impulse comes from; rather, fuck that, it can take care of itself. I mean, it always used to. Just feed it. Hunt and feed it.

cantdog
 
WEEE! Going out for a hat tonight, I'll share a story on "HATS" soon, I have a great one. I think I feel a spark under my arse.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU


*bows before her many LIT muses then kisses each one on the nose*


~Creme:kiss:
 
Last edited:
Im told that one way to find Cant's hunted insipiration is to write and write and write and write and write and then write some more. It's probably based on the infinite monkeys thing. Do Not edit during the writing, but when you're written out, then re-read it. You should, with luck, have a few gems.

Personally I've written a few quite good poems, but I've never written any lyrics. When I try lyrics, I unconsciously tie my hands and put ridiculous limits on the writing. Meter, rhymes, rhythm etc.

A couple of poems came out of the poetic language I use but were written as simple two or three paragraph exercises, which contained no boundaries.

Gauche

Edited to add: Hats are good too.
 
writer's block- muse needed!

Hi,

I thought I'd give you my two cents. Worrying is a great mind block. You can't see anything when your head is full of worry. Exercise always helps me think of something, especially walking. I put my music on and go. :) My brain has never been one for not coming up with anything, my imagination is reallllly vivid. But sometimes, it blocks on what I am writing at that moment, and I have to get it back online. So, I listen to music, walk... oh, and reading helps alot too. One thing that helps with music writing music is think of any kind of beef you have.... then think of what about that beef needs repeating. Also, a really good orgasm:D helps too...lol. your mind goes blank, you feel pleasure and then after it's been quiet for awhile thinks start to flood back in! It's like a store that's been locked overnight.... when it opens in the morning...all the customers come flooding back in. But hey, hope some of those work.
Later,
El:rose:
 
Thanks for all the advice, some has proved helpful, some is stuff I had already tried, but all in all I appreciate what you're telling me.

I started just playing my guitar a bit tonight, some words came and left, wrote some down, no epiphanies yet, but at least the floodgates are dripping a bit. A few more drops of water and who knows, the dam might break and Mama will write again. It's got to happen eventually, the pressure is building.

I'm still open to suggestions and muses ;) preferably nude younger men and women at my feet. LOL


~Creme:kiss:
 
I smoke and drink coffee, whenever I'm blocked. Most of the time its for research papers or the like... and it works for me. I think I'd drive myself crazy if I just stepped away from it.

Not recommending that you take my route though, very stressful forcing it.
 
Agenda?

Who me? Agenda? Nah. I don't simply want to find a muse ~ I want it ALL!!! Bwah hwa hwa hwa hwaaaaaaaaa!:devil:

I think I'll use LIT screen names for inspiration next.
Oh the music.........


~Creme

(who unfortunately is asthmatic and can't use cigarettes for inspiration)
 
BUMPING

Started with poetry, wrote an email to an unrequited love (that was something!) and ended up with the most angry prose I have ever thought possible.
This isn't exactly a break through, although it was good to finally let the "cat out of the bag" to the unrequited love............

When I say MUSE, I don't actually mean I want a half naked slave. I truly do mean someone who can inspire me. I am not sure how. Something has to work.
One thing I DID do was to put a wanted ad out for a room to rent to "get away" in. The thought of having my own space is incredibly exciting to me, even if only for a couple months. The space would only be for writing or getting inspired. Nveer know.

Thanks for all the good advice so far, I didn't mean to make light of any of it.

~Creme:kiss:
 
Back
Top