Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Poetry Feedback & Discussion

Old 11-29-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
Trixareforkids
Silly Rabbit

December challenge - Endings/New Beginnings

A lot of changes have happened for many of us this year. So rather than a holiday themed challenge I thought we could do with one about changes. Either the end of something, the beginning of something or both in one.

I know with the holidays things get hectic so this will be a non-voting challenge. Since it is themed around changes thoug, I'd like to propose a twist...

Send your piece to me, I will forward it to another participating poet who will play with it and send it back to me. Then I'll post both versions for y'all to contemplate and guess which came first and from whom.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
legerdemer
sailing on the seven seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixareforkids View Post
I'd like to propose a twist...

Send your piece to me, I will forward it to another participating poet who will play with it and send it back to me. Then I'll post both versions for y'all to contemplate and guess which came first and from whom.
Devilish!

I'll do my best.

My stories and poems

AH profile

Gone fishing...

Old 11-29-2015, 11:31 PM   #3
Angeline
Poet Chick

This sounds like fun and a good workshopping opportunity. I'll try it even as I shiver at the thought of handing off a poem to someone else to edit. It'll be good for my ocd.

Poems

Old 11-29-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
Trixareforkids
Silly Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline View Post
This sounds like fun and a good workshopping opportunity. I'll try it even as I shiver at the thought of handing off a poem to someone else to edit. It'll be good for my ocd.
My choice of the word "play" was deliberate. I'm hoping people will do more than simply edit. Rather taking the given piece and pulling from it what strikes them the most and expand upon that bit to create a new piece.

Quite often here I'll read a piece and a stanza or line(s) from it will grab me more than the piece as a whole. Lol, this happens to me with everyone's poetry, all of my poetry books are littered with underlines and circled passages. I don't get poetry books in e-format or from the library because of that habit.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:53 PM   #5
Trixareforkids
Silly Rabbit

If we don't get enough participants to do this as a blind challenge. We could always change it to a form of the telephone game. Start with one posted piece, hand it off to the next person, post that and hand it off again until we run out of participants.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:38 AM   #6
Angeline
Poet Chick

Quote:
My choice of the word "play" was deliberate. I'm hoping people will do more than simply edit. Rather taking the given piece and pulling from it what strikes them the most and expand upon that bit to create a new piece.

Quite often here I'll read a piece and a stanza or line(s) from it will grab me more than the piece as a whole. Lol, this happens to me with everyone's poetry, all of my poetry books are littered with underlines and circled passages. I don't get poetry books in e-format or from the library because of that habit.
Oh I get it now. That happens to me all the time here: I read someone's poem and it spirals me into one of my own. There are some people who've written here over the years whose poems I could all but guarantee would effect me that way. Tathagata was one who used to write here and I'd read him and just get ideas from it. I think we are interested in the same themes, which helps. And of course Eagleyez and I were often really writing to each other.

So you're saying be inspired by playing with the poem and see what happens, yes? And that could really take you anywhere. Heck, you could write a glosa! If a bunch of people wrote them, we could all submit them here on the same day and really piss off GP's anonymous angry comment person. Just sayin.

This sounds even better now. C'mon poets. You know you can do it!

You have ideas about dates? Extra time might be good--it's such a busy time of year for so many folks.

Poems

Old 11-30-2015, 12:54 AM   #7
Trixareforkids
Silly Rabbit

Quote:
Oh I get it now. That happens to me all the time here: I read someone's poem and it spirals me into one of my own. There are some people who've written here over the years whose poems I could all but guarantee would effect me that way. Tathagata was one who used to write here and I'd read him and just get ideas from it. I think we are interested in the same themes, which helps. And of course Eagleyez and I were often really writing to each other.

So you're saying be inspired by playing with the poem and see what happens, yes? And that could really take you anywhere. Heck, you could write a glosa! If a bunch of people wrote them, we could all submit them here on the same day and really piss off GP's anonymous angry comment person. Just sayin.

This sounds even better now. C'mon poets. You know you can do it!

You have ideas about dates? Extra time might be good--it's such a busy time of year for so many folks.

Yup that's the gist of what I was going for. As for a time frame I was thinking of two weeks for the original submit talks and then another two weeks for the secondary pieces. I'd post them as I got each secondary piece and when the last piece comes in I'd post the list of names. I was thinking this would be a double blind. So you wouldn't know who's piece you were playing with or who played with yours.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:59 AM   #8
Trixareforkids
Silly Rabbit

Ya know, I really like the idea of the telephone game. Taking the gist of a piece and possibly even a portion of the piece and retelling the tale. Maybe we should start a new thread for that idea. An original piece is posted then someone calls dibs and plays with it then reposts where upon someone else calls dibs. Not so much a challenge, more like the 5 Senses thread.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:14 AM   #9
Angeline
Poet Chick

Quote:
Ya know, I really like the idea of the telephone game. Taking the gist of a piece and possibly even a portion of the piece and retelling the tale. Maybe we should start a new thread for that idea. An original piece is posted then someone calls dibs and plays with it then reposts where upon someone else calls dibs. Not so much a challenge, more like the 5 Senses thread.
Would someone call dibs and then we wait for them to post their poem? Why not just have us write a poem that responds to the one above it? We wouldn't have to wait while someone wrote then. It wouldn't matter if more than one person responds because they'd likely go in different directions...or not. It really wouldn't matter.

Of course that's quite different from what you originally proposed, and you would lose the mystery of who got whose poem. I think that would be a lot of fun. There's no reason you couldn't do both, especially if one thread is an ongoing challenge.

Just thinking out loud here.

Poems

Old 11-30-2015, 01:20 AM   #10
Trixareforkids
Silly Rabbit

Quote:
Would someone call dibs and then we wait for them to post their poem? Why not just have us write a poem that responds to the one above it? We wouldn't have to wait while someone wrote then. It wouldn't matter if more than one person responds because they'd likely go in different directions...or not. It really wouldn't matter.

Of course that's quite different from what you originally proposed, and you would lose the mystery of who got whose poem. I think that would be a lot of fun. There's no reason you couldn't do both, especially if one thread is an ongoing challenge.

Just thinking out loud here.
Assuming we have enough participants we'll stick with the blind round robin for this challenge. The telephone game would then be a different thread.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:13 AM   #11
todski28
Literotica Guru

Im in.

As a favour to Tsotha

Old 11-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #12
Magnetron
Deep Under Groundhog

The end is near - bring out your dead!

Old 11-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore

Lost already.

Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits

Old 11-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #14
Remec
Master Glomper

Sounds cool...I have to finish a couple short pieces for other threads first, but maybe by week's end I'll have something to pass along to you.

"I have set my life upon a cast, and I shall stand the hazard of the die." -- Richard III

"Watch out for this guy! He's slick! And dark... and mysterious... and maybe even a bit evil! But in a totally sexy way!" -- BooMerengue

Old 11-30-2015, 10:12 PM   #15
Tzara
Space Available

If I can think of something on a "change" theme, I'll try this.

Change in my life is trying to find out if we have the NFL Network channel once they stopped carrying it on CBS.

óLudwig Wittgenstein: Zettel

Old 12-01-2015, 04:23 AM   #16
Sinseria
Really Experienced

Quote:
Oh I get it now. That happens to me all the time here: I read someone's poem and it spirals me into one of my own.
I admit that happened to me to Ange ! think it was one of your poems :P ...cant find it now ...was going to say in the ode "drink of the mental composition in your head" ...I swear I heard it somewhere else ...from here from one of your poems ...so I changed it! duh!

I am up for the challenge if I can come up with something ...I will even try not to use taint or evil or sin or nothing :P

PS and pain to :P

I asked her if she
believed in love, and she
smiled and said it was her
most elaborate method
of self-harm.

Benedict Smith

Last edited by Sinseria : 12-01-2015 at 04:29 AM.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #17
Angeline
Poet Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinseria View Post
I admit that happened to me to Ange ! think it was one of your poems :P ...cant find it now ...was going to say in the ode "drink of the mental composition in your head" ...I swear I heard it somewhere else ...from here from one of your poems ...so I changed it! duh!

I am up for the challenge if I can come up with something ...I will even try not to use taint or evil or sin or nothing :P

PS and pain to :P
Hiya Sin.

That line didn't come from anything I wrote. I can barely handle the mental composition in my own head!

I think it's great that you are taking more chances with your poems and branching out. If one writes on different subjects than usual, it's hard at first but it will help one grow as a poet imho.

Poems

Old 12-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #18
Sinseria
Really Experienced

[quote=Angeline;73105740]Hiya Sin.

That line didn't come from anything I wrote. I can barely handle the mental composition in my own head!

[quote]

Yes I am very much learning a bit! I could have sworn it was yours :P maybe that's why I couldn't find it again when I went to go look at it to see ...someone wrote something along the lines and it was good :P

I am sure I will find it again ...something to do with being parched as a wastelands crusted bed ....its somewhere on this site hehe oh well! It was good!

I asked her if she
believed in love, and she
smiled and said it was her
most elaborate method
of self-harm.

Benedict Smith

Old 12-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #19
greenmountaineer
Literotica Guru

I'm in.(I think) When does it start, Trix?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #20
Trixareforkids
Silly Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmountaineer View Post
I'm in.(I think) When does it start, Trix?
Um, now, lol. I believe we have enough participants now.

So, y'all have until the evening of the 14th to get your piece to me. On the 15th I'll send everyone the piece they're to play with and the second piece will be due to me by the 28th.

I'll post the pieces on the 29th, sooner if everyone finishes early, as 1A & 1B and then everyone will have until New Years Day to guess who wrote what and which came first.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #21
greenmountaineer
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Um, now, lol. I believe we have enough participants now.

So, y'all have until the evening of the 14th to get your piece to me. On the 15th I'll send everyone the piece they're to play with and the second piece will be due to me by the 28th.

I'll post the pieces on the 29th, sooner if everyone finishes early, as 1A & 1B and then everyone will have until New Years Day to guess who wrote what and which came first.
I may have missed this. Is there a theme to the challenge?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #22
Trixareforkids
Silly Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmountaineer View Post
I may have missed this. Is there a theme to the challenge?
Endings/New Beginnings

Old 12-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #23
butters
straight from the fridge

hope i can come up with something for this one, trix... sounds fun

What strange machinery lies between her ears
HarryHill

'tender hearted...

Old 12-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #24
Piscator
Really Experienced

I too will give it a try

Old 12-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #25
Magnetron
Deep Under Groundhog

Unless I have a Blitzkrieg of inspiration, I'll be sitting out the current batch of challenges.

Life is too hectic at the moment.