Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 10-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #51
lillianaZ
Really Really Experienced
 
lillianaZ's Avatar
 
lillianaZ is offline
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 300
Actually that's not entirely true. I support Nano largely because of the awesome work they do at supporting literacy programs and student writing initiatives. That's really why I do it every year. Everything else is just a bonus!
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 12:12 AM   #52
RjThoughts
they call me The Rojodi!
 
RjThoughts's Avatar
 
RjThoughts is offline
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York state
Posts: 30,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillianaZ View Post
Actually that's not entirely true. I support Nano largely because of the awesome work they do at supporting literacy programs and student writing initiatives. That's really why I do it every year. Everything else is just a bonus!
Local group always encourages children to write and to join literacy programs.
__________________
Now proud **Playgrounder #333*

"It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well." Rene Descartes

Sleep well, but always, always dream better

  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 12:15 AM   #53
lillianaZ
Really Really Experienced
 
lillianaZ's Avatar
 
lillianaZ is offline
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 300
Yes, a lot of schools participate too. It really sends a positive message to students. I actually just signed in for the first time this year and discovered it's my 19th year...You'd think I would have something out of 900,000 words over 18 years! Maybe this year will be the ticket!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjThoughts View Post
Local group always encourages children to write and to join literacy programs.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 12:19 AM   #54
RjThoughts
they call me The Rojodi!
 
RjThoughts's Avatar
 
RjThoughts is offline
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York state
Posts: 30,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillianaZ View Post
Yes, a lot of schools participate too. It really sends a positive message to students. I actually just signed in for the first time this year and discovered it's my 19th year...You'd think I would have something out of 900,000 words over 18 years! Maybe this year will be the ticket!
My boss' wife is an English teacher at a small Catholic school. She's having her students write all November, twice a week in class and encouraging them to write at home. She's put some "coin" in it: For every student who writes 25k+ words receives gift cards to Barnes and Noble and Starbucks.

This year, I'm writing connected short stories and novellas, certain characters will appear across several of them or some locations will be the same. The last three years, work has pissed me off and made it impossible to write.
__________________
Now proud **Playgrounder #333*

"It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well." Rene Descartes

Sleep well, but always, always dream better

  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 12:33 AM   #55
lillianaZ
Really Really Experienced
 
lillianaZ's Avatar
 
lillianaZ is offline
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 300
That is awesome! I'm actually thinking about something similar. Sort of a series of vignettes featuring the some recurring characters that rotate through. I haven't done this before. I've always had one "big" novel I was working on. This is a new idea for me. I'm thinking along the lines of Kurt Vonnegut's short stories or maybe even Deadeye Dick. A novel, but not really a novel. I don't know. I'm not a Pantster or a Planner. I fall somewhere between the two. I usually begin with a general idea of what I'm writing and where I'm going and take it from there. This year my ideas are a lot less "formed" and a bit more flexible. Maybe that's a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjThoughts View Post
This year, I'm writing connected short stories and novellas, certain characters will appear across several of them or some locations will be the same. The last three years, work has pissed me off and made it impossible to write.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 12:41 AM   #56
RjThoughts
they call me The Rojodi!
 
RjThoughts's Avatar
 
RjThoughts is offline
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York state
Posts: 30,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillianaZ View Post
That is awesome! I'm actually thinking about something similar. Sort of a series of vignettes featuring the some recurring characters that rotate through. I haven't done this before. I've always had one "big" novel I was working on. This is a new idea for me. I'm thinking along the lines of Kurt Vonnegut's short stories or maybe even Deadeye Dick. A novel, but not really a novel. I don't know. I'm not a Pantster or a Planner. I fall somewhere between the two. I usually begin with a general idea of what I'm writing and where I'm going and take it from there. This year my ideas are a lot less "formed" and a bit more flexible. Maybe that's a good thing.
There's something called the Short Story Cycle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_story_cycle
__________________
Now proud **Playgrounder #333*

"It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well." Rene Descartes

Sleep well, but always, always dream better

  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 12:52 AM   #57
litfan10
owner of slave_
 
litfan10's Avatar
 
litfan10 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 10,550
lilli and RJ - just read through all this. Such a wonderful dialogue - thanks! I enjoyed it very much.

lilli have you ever participated in the summer camps?

I've developed a creative writing course at my college for Fall semesters that uses NaNoWriMo. We use Sept and Oct to learn plot, setting, characters - the basic story mechanics. For the month of November, we use class time to just write as all students are participating in NaNoWriMo. For the final month of class in December we learn about effective proofreading, editing and publishing.

It's a total effort grade. Students who complete the 50K words with elements clearly in place from what they learned get an "A." Grade goes down from there as word counts get lower or they don't really have coherency to their work.
__________________
Love is a portion of the soul itself, and it is of the same nature as the celestial breathing of the atmosphere of paradise. ~ Victor Hugo My soul; my paradise

She was never as simple as she led them to believe; She was the keeper of a secret flame, and she waited patiently for somebody to see it, and love it, as it burned.--Jose Chaves - Seen, Loved, and Cherished

"You sir, have a mucky mind" - Dianthus 7/26/10
"Yes, it's official. You are cute!" - slave_ 09/09/10
"Now, you are a cute smart ass" - slave_ 10/21/10
"You are so full of s**t your eyes are brown" (and they really are!) - TxRad 7/24/10



I'm a perverted, smut minded, slave owning, poly-amorous, bisexual Buddhist - been a Hell of a journey getting me here but I love the destination Me

product of my mucky mind
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 12:54 AM   #58
RjThoughts
they call me The Rojodi!
 
RjThoughts's Avatar
 
RjThoughts is offline
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York state
Posts: 30,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by litfan10 View Post
lilli and RJ - just read through all this. Such a wonderful dialogue - thanks! I enjoyed it very much.

lilli have you ever participated in the summer camps?

I've developed a creative writing course at my college for Fall semesters that uses NaNoWriMo. We use Sept and Oct to learn plot, setting, characters - the basic story mechanics. For the month of November, we use class time to just write as all students are participating in NaNoWriMo. For the final month of class in December we learn about effective proofreading, editing and publishing.

It's a total effort grade. Students who complete the 50K words with elements clearly in place from what they learned get an "A." Grade goes down from there as word counts get lower or they don't really have coherency to their work.
I wish either the community college or the 4-year school I attended had creative writing courses. No, I chose to be a Computer Science major...LOL
__________________
Now proud **Playgrounder #333*

"It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well." Rene Descartes

Sleep well, but always, always dream better

  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 01:16 AM   #59
lillianaZ
Really Really Experienced
 
lillianaZ's Avatar
 
lillianaZ is offline
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 300
litfan: I did one of the first summer camps, but not since. I'm still a bit baffled that I've been doing them as long as I have. I honestly had no idea it had been so many years! I think it's great to build a class around Nano. That sounds like a great way to teach all the basic elements of writing.

rj: Yes, the Short story cycle is what I had in mind. And don't feel bad, I never took any creative writing classes either. I've read a lot and learned on the fly. It's not a bad way to do things!

I do have to say since finding this thread, I am feeling a little more encouraged and excited about Nano.

lilli
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 01:19 AM   #60
SamScribble
Yeah, still just a guru
 
SamScribble's Avatar
 
SamScribble is online now
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out there
Posts: 25,810
I had an interesting chat with a writer who I vaguely know. She has had four NaNoWriMo attempts. One has been published; and one is under offer. And she hasn't really given up on one of the others either.

I told her that my two attempts had run out of days at about the 25k word stage.

'Ah, you're editing as you go, aren't you?' she said. 'You can't do that.'

But that's how I write, dammit.

__________________
‘Writing is the ultimate decision-making experience. Every paragraph, every sentence, every word, is a decision.’ – Michael Bremer
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 01:20 AM   #61
RjThoughts
they call me The Rojodi!
 
RjThoughts's Avatar
 
RjThoughts is offline
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York state
Posts: 30,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillianaZ View Post
litfan: I did one of the first summer camps, but not since. I'm still a bit baffled that I've been doing them as long as I have. I honestly had no idea it had been so many years! I think it's great to build a class around Nano. That sounds like a great way to teach all the basic elements of writing.

rj: Yes, the Short story cycle is what I had in mind. And don't feel bad, I never took any creative writing classes either. I've read a lot and learned on the fly. It's not a bad way to do things!

I do have to say since finding this thread, I am feeling a little more encouraged and excited about Nano.

lilli
I read a lot, too. It still would have helped me to take some fiction writing courses so I don't tell as much, show more, of the story.
__________________
Now proud **Playgrounder #333*

"It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well." Rene Descartes

Sleep well, but always, always dream better

  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 01:30 AM   #62
lillianaZ
Really Really Experienced
 
lillianaZ's Avatar
 
lillianaZ is offline
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 300
One of the wonderful things about the age we live in now, is that there is so much information available without having to take a class. I know I would have benefited from taking a writing class, but there are plenty of authors out there who have never taken classes. Simply writing is the most important thing you can do to improve the quality of your writing. The more you practice the better you get. Especially if you are really trying to write something good. A lot of the craft part can be perfected during the editing process. The creative parts can't be taught.

I was actually feeling a little blah about doing NaNoWriMo this year. Now I feel pretty excited about it.
lilli
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjThoughts View Post
I read a lot, too. It still would have helped me to take some fiction writing courses so I don't tell as much, show more, of the story.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 01:35 AM   #63
RjThoughts
they call me The Rojodi!
 
RjThoughts's Avatar
 
RjThoughts is offline
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York state
Posts: 30,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillianaZ View Post
One of the wonderful things about the age we live in now, is that there is so much information available without having to take a class. I know I would have benefited from taking a writing class, but there are plenty of authors out there who have never taken classes. Simply writing is the most important thing you can do to improve the quality of your writing. The more you practice the better you get. Especially if you are really trying to write something good. A lot of the craft part can be perfected during the editing process. The creative parts can't be taught.

I was actually feeling a little blah about doing NaNoWriMo this year. Now I feel pretty excited about it.
lilli
Many people on Lit are doing NaNo. One of these years, whether NaNo proper or a CampNaNo, I'll do a short story cycle of naughty tales
__________________
Now proud **Playgrounder #333*

"It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well." Rene Descartes

Sleep well, but always, always dream better

  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 04:30 AM   #64
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru
 
ChloeTzang's Avatar
 
ChloeTzang is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Nope, ain't telling..., USA
Posts: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillianaZ View Post
litfan: I did one of the first summer camps, but not since. I'm still a bit baffled that I've been doing them as long as I have. I honestly had no idea it had been so many years! I think it's great to build a class around Nano. That sounds like a great way to teach all the basic elements of writing.

rj: Yes, the Short story cycle is what I had in mind. And don't feel bad, I never took any creative writing classes either. I've read a lot and learned on the fly. It's not a bad way to do things!

I do have to say since finding this thread, I am feeling a little more encouraged and excited about Nano.

lilli
I'd never thought about doing NaNo but after this thread I am now. Seems like a real driver to write and I like the whole pound it out concept. I tend to start every writing session with a re-read and edit of what I'm working on and that really slows my output down. I've done 10k words in a day a few times just pounding the story out without stopping so I think I'm going to try this.
__________________
Chloe Tzang
Coming soon for the 2018 Literotica Valentine's Day competition,
- "Screw Your Roses, Asshole" (a girl, a band and a boyfriend ... what can possibly be screwed), and ...
- "Fields of Gold" (a romantic tearjerking tale of a guy, a girl and an AH64 Apache...)

Winner - 2017 Literotica April Fools Competition: "Fingerprints on my Heart"

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #65
oggbashan
Ancient writer
 
oggbashan's Avatar
 
oggbashan is online now
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Facing the sea.
Posts: 38,337
Please remember - November is for writing, not editing. Editing comes in December or later.

Editing can damage the flow of words necessary to complete the challenge.
__________________


My Valentine's Day entry:

https://www.literotica.com/s/broke-3

Oggbashan's long list of stories
Jeanne D'Artois' few


electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #66
RjThoughts
they call me The Rojodi!
 
RjThoughts's Avatar
 
RjThoughts is offline
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York state
Posts: 30,049
The best part of doing a short story cycle is that you don't need to write the chapters/stories in order.
__________________
Now proud **Playgrounder #333*

"It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well." Rene Descartes

Sleep well, but always, always dream better

  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #67
oggbashan
Ancient writer
 
oggbashan's Avatar
 
oggbashan is online now
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Facing the sea.
Posts: 38,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjThoughts View Post
The best part of doing a short story cycle is that you don't need to write the chapters/stories in order.
I did that in 2003 - 12 linked stories, in order, edited and posted to Literotica before the end of the NaNoWriMo month.

If today was part of NaNo, I'm ahead. I've already written 2,500 words on one story and 750 on another.
__________________


My Valentine's Day entry:

https://www.literotica.com/s/broke-3

Oggbashan's long list of stories
Jeanne D'Artois' few


electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.

Last edited by oggbashan : 10-25-2017 at 02:59 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #68
RjThoughts
they call me The Rojodi!
 
RjThoughts's Avatar
 
RjThoughts is offline
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York state
Posts: 30,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by oggbashan View Post
I did that in 2003 - 12 linked stories, in order, edited and posted to Literotica before the end of the NaNoWriMo months.

If today was part of NaNo, I'm ahead. I've already written 2,500 words on one story and 750 on another.
If I could count my intraoffice letters, it would take me a week to finish NaNo. LOL
__________________
Now proud **Playgrounder #333*

"It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well." Rene Descartes

Sleep well, but always, always dream better

  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #69
oggbashan
Ancient writer
 
oggbashan's Avatar
 
oggbashan is online now
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Facing the sea.
Posts: 38,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjThoughts View Post
If I could count my intraoffice letters, it would take me a week to finish NaNo. LOL
Me too - if not faster.

But NaNo doesn't have to be writing a story. If you have a project, an essay, a thesis? Any of those could be used towards the NaNo 50,000 words.

NaNo is whatever you want it to be. The only person who really knows whether you wrote the 50,000 words in the NaNo month is you. If you cheat? You're only deluding yourself.

NaNo is a tool for you to use. What you make with that tool is up to you.
__________________


My Valentine's Day entry:

https://www.literotica.com/s/broke-3

Oggbashan's long list of stories
Jeanne D'Artois' few


electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #70
RjThoughts
they call me The Rojodi!
 
RjThoughts's Avatar
 
RjThoughts is offline
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York state
Posts: 30,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by oggbashan View Post
Me too - if not faster.

But NaNo doesn't have to be writing a story. If you have a project, an essay, a thesis? Any of those could be used towards the NaNo 50,000 words.

NaNo is whatever you want it to be. The only person who really knows whether you wrote the 50,000 words in the NaNo month is you. If you cheat? You're only deluding yourself.

NaNo is a tool for you to use. What you make with that tool is up to you.
I have so many stories ideas, so many already in note form, most of them non-eroticAs it stands, I have pencilled (outlined) just one erotic tale, but as I put on the bottom of my recent outline: *All subject to change if and when I find more caches of notes and stories.

If I'm allowed to write - work took up my free time the last two Novembers - I can see me hitting the 50K mark!
__________________
Now proud **Playgrounder #333*

"It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well." Rene Descartes

Sleep well, but always, always dream better

  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #71
lillianaZ
Really Really Experienced
 
lillianaZ's Avatar
 
lillianaZ is offline
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjThoughts View Post
I have so many stories ideas, so many already in note form, most of them non-eroticAs it stands, I have pencilled (outlined) just one erotic tale, but as I put on the bottom of my recent outline: *All subject to change if and when I find more caches of notes and stories.

If I'm allowed to write - work took up my free time the last two Novembers - I can see me hitting the 50K mark!
I have a bunch of ideas too. I guess that's why I was considering a short story cycle. This year, I don't have "big" novel idea. What I seem to have in abundance are "little" ideas that wouldn't lend themselves to expansion. I do agree that you can't edit in November! In fact, I find that I don't want to even look at it until at least January, if then! I think at least a few of my efforts never received another glance after I finished them. Maybe my next New Year's resolution should be to pull those up and see what the hell I wrote.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #72
RjThoughts
they call me The Rojodi!
 
RjThoughts's Avatar
 
RjThoughts is offline
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York state
Posts: 30,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillianaZ View Post
I have a bunch of ideas too. I guess that's why I was considering a short story cycle. This year, I don't have "big" novel idea. What I seem to have in abundance are "little" ideas that wouldn't lend themselves to expansion. I do agree that you can't edit in November! In fact, I find that I don't want to even look at it until at least January, if then! I think at least a few of my efforts never received another glance after I finished them. Maybe my next New Year's resolution should be to pull those up and see what the hell I wrote.
Writing the Cycle lends itself to easier editing, I would think.
__________________
Now proud **Playgrounder #333*

"It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well." Rene Descartes

Sleep well, but always, always dream better

  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #73
lillianaZ
Really Really Experienced
 
lillianaZ's Avatar
 
lillianaZ is offline
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjThoughts View Post
Writing the Cycle lends itself to easier editing, I would think.
I haven't ever tried it but, yes, it does seem like the editing process would be easier. Although, I suspect I will struggle with how to place them as a whole once I've finished! I'm a bit (read a lot) perfectionistic that's one major reason why I've never shared anything I've written with anyone until very recently. I'm trying to break out of it and start to share some of my writing efforts.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #74
RjThoughts
they call me The Rojodi!
 
RjThoughts's Avatar
 
RjThoughts is offline
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York state
Posts: 30,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillianaZ View Post
I haven't ever tried it but, yes, it does seem like the editing process would be easier. Although, I suspect I will struggle with how to place them as a whole once I've finished! I'm a bit (read a lot) perfectionistic that's one major reason why I've never shared anything I've written with anyone until very recently. I'm trying to break out of it and start to share some of my writing efforts.
Been there myself, but since the days of when AOL had writing contests, I've not cared about being so perfect. I don't sweat the small stuff any longer
__________________
Now proud **Playgrounder #333*

"It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well." Rene Descartes

Sleep well, but always, always dream better

  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #75
lillianaZ
Really Really Experienced
 
lillianaZ's Avatar
 
lillianaZ is offline
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjThoughts View Post
Been there myself, but since the days of when AOL had writing contests, I've not cared about being so perfect. I don't sweat the small stuff any longer
For me, I think it's the fear that I don't have anything of value to contribute. I think about all the great writers who have captured the human condition so brilliantly and I wonder if there is anything unique that I can contribute. But then I look at what is being published and I wonder why I'm not contributing! Not sure that makes sense, but there it is.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.