Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Story Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 10-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
donaldelliott11
Experienced
 
donaldelliott11 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 52
Myneed wrote "You're Like a Little Boy at Times"

I'm enjoying this story, in the Fetish category. But the author has switched off both reader comments and profile contacts.
As an author myself, I find this incomprehensible. What my readers think is important to me. Even the negative feedback has sometimes been constructive.
Finally, whatever else Myneed needs, he or she needs a proofreader. I'd have offered to help, but have no way to make contact.
__________________
I particularly enjoy stories about "straight" men who get bent over and go gay. I'm double-hard if this is humiliating, and their sexual humiliation is witnessed by others - spouse, family, friends, coworkers.

You might enjoy one of my stories.
Donald
My stories:https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,576
Maybe Myneed writes for the sheer enjoyment of sharing stories and arousals and is more interested in readers focusing on the story content than the technical elements--and has been irritated enough by readers assuming the author is posting here for their reasons rather than the author's reasons that the comments/ratings have been turned off. Do you have some compelling need to impose yourself on the author despite being given this hint what is important to the author in posting to Literotica?
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2017, 11:08 PM   #3
donaldelliott11
Experienced
 
donaldelliott11 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 52
I've always assumed that the name "Literotica" was a portmanteau, and that the goal was to be literate and erotic. I can't imagine an author who derives pleasure from his or her inability to spell, or to read what he or she has written to correct gross errors.
Anyway, the purpose of my posting wasn't to psychoanalyze Myneed, or you. I hoped he or she would find it and respond, either publicly or, more likely, privately.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2017, 11:17 PM   #4
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,576
I don't even remotely agree that you can rightfully assume that everyone agrees with your assumption. I don't. I don't think you even have the justification to act on that assumption here without establishing that the author you are "educating" wants your tutorial. I wouldn't.

One way of signaling that they don't would be if they turned comments and ratings off. Seems a pretty direct message to your assumption.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
HisArpy
Loose canon extraordinair
 
HisArpy's Avatar
 
HisArpy is offline
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: On the sunset coast
Posts: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I don't even remotely agree that you can rightfully assume that everyone agrees with your assumption. I don't. I don't think you even have the justification to act on that assumption here without establishing that the author you are "educating" wants your tutorial. I wouldn't.

One way of signaling that they don't would be if they turned comments and ratings off. Seems a pretty direct message to your assumption.
Jesus, what a horrible thing to say to someone holding out an offering hand.
__________________
I don't particularly care if you don't like it.



My Literotica stories
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisArpy View Post
Jesus, what a horrible thing to say to someone holding out an offering hand.
What is horrible is the assumption that someone wants you to tell them how/what they should write and post to Literotica on the basis of no demonstrated expertise at all or a request to do so. I cannot fathom this assumption that someone is only posting stories here to have some other unvetted and unasked poster to "teach" them.

The selection editor here is Laurel; it isn't a vigilante poster like you or donaldelliott11.

The "teacher" here has posted four stories in the last eleven years, and they rate pretty low. I haven't read them. But how would that poster like me to vigilante post an edit of one of their stories here? I'm a degreed editor with experience of nearly 1,000 stories posted here across most of the categories here and I'm willing to bet that I could demonstrate that that "teacher" doesn't have the qualifications to tell someone else who hasn't asked for the help how and what they should write. I bet I could do that to you too, Arpy. You, for instance, just managed posting your first story here two days ago and yet you've already been posting critiques of the erotica writing of others here (who at least asked--for all I know you've been imposing your views on writers here who didn't ask for it as well).

But I don't, because I'm not making assumptions why anyone is posting stories here and I'm certainly not boorish and arrogant enough to impose my assumptions on others.
__________________
______________________

Last edited by sr71plt : 10-12-2017 at 03:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #7
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.
 
Bramblethorn's Avatar
 
Bramblethorn is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldelliott11 View Post
I'm enjoying this story, in the Fetish category. But the author has switched off both reader comments and profile contacts.
As an author myself, I find this incomprehensible. What my readers think is important to me. Even the negative feedback has sometimes been constructive.
Finally, whatever else Myneed needs, he or she needs a proofreader. I'd have offered to help, but have no way to make contact.
Bad news: Myneed clearly doesn't want reader comment. It doesn't matter whether you or I understand the reasons for that choice, it's a choice Myneed gets to make without owing us an explanation.

Good news: there are plenty of authors who DO want a proofreader and/or feedback. Rather than worrying about one who doesn't, can I suggest posting on the Editor's Forum offering your services?
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
donaldelliott11
Experienced
 
donaldelliott11 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 52
Mayday

Pilot, why are you so angry? You wrote: "What is horrible is the assumption that someone wants you to tell them how/what they should write and post to Literotica on the basis of no demonstrated expertise at all or a request to do so. I cannot fathom this assumption that someone is only posting stories here to have some other unvetted and unasked poster to "teach" them. The selection editor here is Laurel; it isn't a vigilante poster like you or donaldelliott11."

My use of the word "assume" was in a different context, but that assumption, and the imprecise one that a writer might value a proofreader, was at worst, incorrect. "Horrible"?
Neither did I use the word "teach".
Nor did I express any concerns about what writers choose to write about. How am I a "vigilante"?

I'm sure you'll find misspellings and grammatical stumbles in my few stories. Too late now, which just proves my point; I myself should have enlisted a proofreader, and maybe an editor, which is not the same thing.

Over and out.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldelliott11 View Post
Pilot, why are you so angry?
Most of my anger was to the post this was directly in response to. Beyond that, I simply cannot fathom the arrogance and self-importance of vigilante "teachers" here--most of whom are nearly clueless themselves about what they are "force teaching"--who assume that everyone is posting stories to Literotica to develop their writing and, unstated, must only be here to receive writing help from others--most often from those who have no more expertise than they do.

Take a look across the file. Most writers are actually here, it seems quite obvious, to share dirty stories. Most do not have high literacy and most don't seem to give a shit they don't--they just want to share dirty stories. Literotica is open to those writers with only very minimal posting requirements. If Literotica posts the story, they've accepted it as it is.

Those who are open to receive writing guidance willy-nilly from any stranger have several ways to signal that here. If they don't signal it, I think you and anyone else are absolutely off base to assume that they want it.

In the case of this thread, the author you wrote about has comments and ratings turned off. There couldn't be a clearer signal than that that they don't want to be told what and how to write. If they just want to share their arousal with others, they are welcome to do that on Literotica without being subjected to smug writing advice from others.

You have chosen just about the clearest case against unrequested vigilante critique to assert your privilege to be an uninvited vigilante "teacher." You might give a thought to why you feel the compulsion to do that. Does it have more to do with your need to be superior than the writer's need to be subjected to what they haven't asked for and that the Web site not only doesn't require that they accept but also gives them tools to avoid?

Also at the base of my "anger," such as it is, is that I'm a trained, professional editor and much of the advice I see given here (even worse when it's given unbidden than when, on this forum, it has been requested) is destructive to writing, not constructive to it, and is just the blind leading the blind. Thus, I particularly don't like the assumption being made that anyone posting a story here is doing so to get help in writing from some stranger--particularly one who hasn't demonstrated that they can take care of their own writing let alone anyone else's. Both you and HisArpy did that on this thread--and neither with evidence on this Web site of much of any writing skill of your own.
__________________
______________________

Last edited by sr71plt : 10-12-2017 at 07:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
KindofHere
Literotica Guru
 
KindofHere is offline
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Wherever Mistakes Are Made
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldelliott11 View Post
I'm enjoying this story, in the Fetish category. But the author has switched off both reader comments and profile contacts.
Appears the author wants to write and be left alone, but you can't stand that, so you come onto the forum and bring unwanted attention to the author. They probably don't even come to the forum. Are you trying to bully him/her into talking to you? This entire thread is selfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldelliott11 View Post
As an author myself, I find this incomprehensible. What my readers think is important to me. Even the negative feedback has sometimes been constructive.
That's how you feel. By posting about an author who is opposite to you, it feels like you're trying to force your will upon them. You want people to say 'the author is wrong' when there is no reason to. It reads like your picking a fight with someone who isn't even here and you've made them the poster child to your opposing view. It would have been less selfish to make a thread on Why Author's Need an Editor and then you could have made points on why first time authors need one, longtime authors, etc, without bringing up someone's name as if you're doing them some kind of favor. This thread is all about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldelliott11 View Post
Finally, whatever else Myneed needs, he or she needs a proofreader. I'd have offered to help, but have no way to make contact.
Now you're telling them what they need. Now you are trying to impose yourself on them. You might not have used the word 'teach' but now you are instructing them and you want them to take your advice/teaching. You hope they read this so they can see you saying, "Ha, doesn't matter that you want to be left alone, I'm not going to let that happen." (Are you an aspiring journalist?)


I want to know why you need this author's attention. Why can't you let them be. What compelled you to create a thread about someone you don't know and who doesn't want to be known so you can complain about their personal wants?


And, like Bramble said, if you want to help people and there are people who would appreciate your help, be a Volunteer Editor. I can't use an editor because I don't like waiting on someone else's timeline. It's easier to patient when both parties are getting paid and, the one time I did have someone look at my stuff they started rewriting things for me, but that's not what I asked them to do. They weren't bad, but that's not what I asked them to do and so after two pages, I went my own way.


Lastly, I don't know if you meant this thread to sound selfish, but it does to me. If you say, "I meant to offer help, that's all" I can see that, but it doesn't come off that way. It comes off as "I know better than this person and I'm going to let them know one way or the other."

Last edited by KindofHere : 10-12-2017 at 07:50 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #11
EquinoxRising
Bi slut
 
EquinoxRising's Avatar
 
EquinoxRising is offline
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: "Is this Heaven?" ... "No, it's Iowa."
Posts: 2,837
After this "publicity" I was curious and checked to see if Myneed had ever posted to Lit. No.
__________________
"It is always by way of pain one arrives at pleasure."
~Donatien Alphonse François
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #12
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,576
Myneed has a five-part series (so far) with that title here on Lit.:

https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2017, 12:47 AM   #13
EquinoxRising
Bi slut
 
EquinoxRising's Avatar
 
EquinoxRising is offline
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: "Is this Heaven?" ... "No, it's Iowa."
Posts: 2,837
Posted. As in, wrote a post in the bulletin board. The answer is still "no".
__________________
"It is always by way of pain one arrives at pleasure."
~Donatien Alphonse François
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2017, 12:51 AM   #14
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,576
Having stories posted is being posted to Lit. I don't see where Myneed posting to the forum has much of any relevance to this thread, though. Not posting isn't the same thing as not reading. To assume it is would just be another one of those false assumptions to be made.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2017, 01:05 AM   #15
KindofHere
Literotica Guru
 
KindofHere is offline
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Wherever Mistakes Are Made
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
Having stories posted is being posted to Lit. I don't see where Myneed posting to the forum has much of any relevance to this thread, though. Not posting isn't the same thing as not reading. To assume it is would just be another one of those false assumptions to be made.
There is always going to be assumption based on the evidence at hand. Is he writing for their own enjoyment? Others? What his bio say? Does he allow votes, comments, emails? Has he posted on the forum? There is always some assumption when you don't know everything there is to know about a person.

Even when you say 'maybe' as an idea of what the author is thinking, because none of us know much about the Myneed.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2017, 01:16 AM   #16
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,576
This thread is a good example of assumptions sometimes being off kilter.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2017, 01:33 AM   #17
KindofHere
Literotica Guru
 
KindofHere is offline
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Wherever Mistakes Are Made
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
This thread is a good example of assumptions sometimes being off kilter.
Yeah, the sides are a bit extreme.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #18
dondd
Really Experienced
 
dondd is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 119
JulieWife- author missing/ story comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldelliott11 View Post
I'm enjoying this story, in the Fetish category. But the author has switched off both reader comments and profile contacts.
As an author myself, I find this incomprehensible. What my readers think is important to me. Even the negative feedback has sometimes been constructive.
Finally, whatever else Myneed needs, he or she needs a proofreader. I'd have offered to help, but have no way to make contact.
I too have wanted to contact authors of certain stories, but they have disabled comments.

Like this one from JulieWife:
https://www.literotica.com/s/summer-of-regrets
I like the story (of an innocent Christian girl who gives her virginity to this player while she's engaged to another) & like the author.

Interesting, the end of the story shows "31 comments..."
However, there's no way to view the comments.

Not sure why one can't view the comments. There were 31 of them, so must've been interesting.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #19
electricblue66
Literotica Guru
 
electricblue66 is online now
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondd View Post
Interesting, the end of the story shows "31 comments..."
However, there's no way to view the comments.

Not sure why one can't view the comments. There were 31 of them, so must've been interesting.
I've noticed that with a several writers. I can only assume the writer has turned off all feedback on their control panel some time after receiving the comments, and that renders the comments invisible, but the system keeps the count.
__________________
electricblue

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #20
donaldelliott11
Experienced
 
donaldelliott11 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 52
Thank you to Anonymous Thread-Follower

who sent me a private comment through my member page. I regret not using an editor before posting my four stories. Your glass houses comment is to the point.
__________________
I particularly enjoy stories about "straight" men who get bent over and go gay. I'm double-hard if this is humiliating, and their sexual humiliation is witnessed by others - spouse, family, friends, coworkers.

You might enjoy one of my stories.
Donald
My stories:https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2017, 02:15 AM   #21
Sailor_Witch
Experienced
 
Sailor_Witch is offline
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 43
Comments...

Donaldelloitt11 said: "I'm enjoying this story, in the Fetish category. But .. "

In that case Sir, I hope you continue to enjoy that author's writings.

In regard to comments, an author has several choices including:

1. Read and respond.
2. Read and ignore.
3. Don't read. (i.e. turn them off)

Why one makes the choice they do is often unclear, but their reasons are not for us to question.


Incidentally, I have noticed something. It seems to me as though the word "but" in a sentence tends to cancel out everything that came before it it in that sentence. For example: "I'd love to give you a raise, but.." or I'd be happy to give you the day off, but..." or even "I enjoyed reading your story, but..."

Last edited by Sailor_Witch : 12-25-2017 at 02:22 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #22
ConfusedSheep
Experienced
 
ConfusedSheep is offline
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 58
If I may chime in. Art and writing is often the expression of ideas, sometimes art or writing shouldn't be questioned, just embraced the way it was presented. I'm sure some enjoy being able to publish a piece then move forward to the next, allowing the piece to speak for itself/the creator.

I can understand how you feel, having many helpful ideas to contribute, however, not everyone is receptive to advice, no matter how good the intention is, some prefer to do things on their own. Many great poets and artists created pieces on their own, just the same as some have created pieces from the inspiration of others (ex: muses).

I haven't posted any pieces, so I obviously dont speak for the writers. I just speak from an observers point of view.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #23
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,576
This is not advertised as a critique site; it's a sharing/entertainment site. It all goes back to making an assumption. If you assume that a writer has posted a story here to have it critiqued, you have started off presuming more than you should. If they've asked for it in a story note or come here to ask for it, you can assume they are receptive. If not, you are presuming too much--and more than the author has any responsibility to kiss your hand for.

For one thing, most of you offering critique--even the ones who wait for their critique to be solicited (like on this forum)--have absolutely no training in leading anyone else to better writing in anything but the more basic issues. And when you still impose yourself that is arrogant presumption, not just assumption.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #24
electricblue66
Literotica Guru
 
electricblue66 is online now
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedSheep View Post
If I may chime in. Art and writing is often the expression of ideas, sometimes art or writing shouldn't be questioned, just embraced the way it was presented. I'm sure some enjoy being able to publish a piece then move forward to the next, allowing the piece to speak for itself/the creator.

I can understand how you feel, having many helpful ideas to contribute, however, not everyone is receptive to advice, no matter how good the intention is, some prefer to do things on their own. Many great poets and artists created pieces on their own, just the same as some have created pieces from the inspiration of others (ex: muses).

I haven't posted any pieces, so I obviously dont speak for the writers. I just speak from an observers point of view.
This is the right attitude, understanding that many writers just don't 'want' help. Some might indeed 'need' help, but then Pilot's point kicks in - how many of us are qualified to truly 'help'. Not many.

But then, many writers do find another's comments or opinions useful, however 'unqualified' they might be. You don't need to be a professional to have an opinion, and that's still a legit form of feedback (but only when writers ask for it, obviously).
__________________
electricblue

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 AM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.