Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 10-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
LoquiSordidaAdMe
Really Experienced

Question Who knows what "Morning Wood" means?

Hi all,

Is the phrase "morning wood" common enough that a great majority of Literotica readers would understand it?

I just got a story back from an editor with this comment:
Not sure on the meaning of "morning-wood"
And here's the context in the story:
I didn’t want a morning-wood-quickie-before-the-kids-wake-up erection. I wanted him to throb and to ache.
I've heard the phrase "morning wood" used in reference to the erection guys occasionally wake up with for as long as I can remember - I mean going back to middle school. But if someone with the confidence to edit for Lit isn't familiar with it, maybe it's not as common I think. Maybe it's a regional (U.S. east coast) thing. Or maybe it's generational (40-something).

So while I'm working to address the editor's other comments, could folks weigh in on this?

Thanks for considering it.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
KimGordon67
Rampant feminist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoquiSordidaAdMe View Post
Hi all,

Is the phrase "morning wood" common enough that a great majority of Literotica readers would understand it?

I didn’t want a morning-wood-quickie-before-the-kids-wake-up erection. I wanted him to throb and to ache.
I've heard the phrase "morning wood" used in reference to the erection guys occasionally wake up with for as long as I can remember - I mean going back to middle school. But if someone with the confidence to edit for Lit isn't familiar with it, maybe it's not as common I think. Maybe it's a regional (U.S. east coast) thing. Or maybe it's generational (40-something).

So while I'm working to address the editor's other comments, could folks weigh in on this?

I totally get it. But I used to go out with a guy whose band was called the Morning Horns.

Maybe glance at this before you PM: Writing PMs

Old 10-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
quietlylooking
Literotica Guru

I would think that most adults will know what "morning wood" means. If not, I think they can figure it out in the context of your sentence.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:

I'm familiar with it, and I'm in the next older generation and in the US southwest, so it's neither generational nor regional. It could be an Americanism.

My personal favorites are The Third Ring and Oscar's Place.
My most recent story is Pixie in the Rain.
Next up is "Her Bodyguard," a brother/sister tale for the Valentine's Day contest

Old 10-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
LizVegas79
Naughty Advice Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlylooking View Post
I would think that most adults will know what "morning wood" means. If not, I think they can figure it out in the context of your sentence.
Agreed. Was your editor from a different country? (or a convent?)

I'm pretty sure I first heard it called that back in high school and that was 20 years ago!

(I still think it's a funny and appropriate and relatively polite way to describe "it" lol)

Old 10-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #6
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

"morning wood" should be well enough known. But it isn't hyphenated.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #7
Voboy
Really Experienced

You need a new editor. Nobody who lacks an understanding of morning wood, hyphenated or not, has any business editing erotica.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
LadyMireille
Experienced

I think that is a very commonly used term...unless your editor is 18?

Old 10-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #9
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Your editor should be doing simple fact checking. This term is easily found on the Internet.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #10
LIVINRFANTASIES
In a Cornfield Near You

Location: In Illinois far from Florida man. Any fool can make babies...... It takes love to raise a family
Dollie

I'm far from a child and raised in the midwest. Many young and old men have called it 'morning wood' as far back as I remember anything to do with sex.
From experience with my husband it has something to do with waking up and having to pee. Rather than pee he'd take advantage of his morning wood.
As he aged his hard wood has turned into a Weeping Willow.
Still living our Fantasies Proud playgrounder #397
Find our true short stories...Click Here--> https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

--184 stories done Keep in mind I'm a Pervert, not an Author, and TRUE STORIES are often boring.
Some stories are short and contain two or more little chapters.

Book #1 Living Our Fantasies---------- Book #2 Please Hold My Titties.
Book #3 The Gogenfart Farm------------- Book #4 Ms. Dollie's Random Stories
Book #5 People Watching---------------Book #6 Mr. Joe Whuzzit
Book #7 Ms.Dollie’s Living Fantasies-------Book #8 TENTS, TRAILERS, TITS, CONDOS, AND CUNTS
Book #9 TiTs and TAXIS--------------------Book #10 PUSSY, PECKERS, and PIZZA

Old 10-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #11
My I
Really Really Experienced

Morning wood... Sporting wood... Got wood....

Anyone who has been through puberty knows these phrases. Your editor needs to go back to children's books.

You may know a thing that is not true. But in understanding there can be ONLY truth.
If you truly want to understand you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea.

The Truth is in the Contrast

And Stuff

Fate is just what you call it when you don’t know the name of the person screwing you over.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #12
8letters
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Hi all,

I'll be the exception here and say that I had never heard the term "morning wood" until I started reading stories on this site. My friends weren't into discussing their erections. But it's so common on this site.

Latest story - My Lingerie-Loving Sister Moves In

Most popular stories - My European Summer Vacation and My Sister Set Me Up on a Blind Date

Old 10-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #13
NotWise
Snipe hunter

I'm not sure that the editor needs to know what 'morning wood' means. They do need to know how to write English. So maybe they do and the term is just something they aren't familiar with. You can define it for them and then they'll know.

Next up is "Her Bodyguard," a brother/sister tale for the Valentine's Day contest

Old 10-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #14
coachdb18
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
I'm not sure that the editor needs to know what 'morning wood' means. They do need to know how to write English. So maybe they do and the term is just something they aren't familiar with. You can define it for them and then they'll know.
Can't wait to see what happens when I bring up the term 'wet dream' LOLOLOLOL
Please, no religious or political discussion. That's not to say I'll simply tolerate dumb shit, and will engage as necessary. If you would like to discuss flying, welcome...I LOVE discussing flying... and then there's ALWAYS the subject we all love....

My Stories
https://www.literotica.com/s/the-bavaria-trip The Bavaria trip
(Exhibitionist/voyeur category - 2 pages)

Old 10-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #15
LoquiSordidaAdMe
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
It could be an Americanism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizVegas79 View Post
Was your editor from a different country?
Ah. The editor's bio page says "UK". That probably explains it.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #16
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
They have the Internet for fact checking in the UK too. (And I don't agree with the comment above that an editor could just let it pass if the editor didn't understand the use of the term. Understanding the terms and why they are there is part of an editor's job.)

Old 10-09-2017, 10:27 PM   #17
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Well, then it's just something for you to address with your editor and you'll both learn from it.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #18
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

It's a well known term.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #19
RejectReality
Literotica Guru

Hard ( no pun intended ) to belive anyone on a sex story site doesn't know what morning wood is...

Most of the time, it's an incredible inconvenience — especially when it's the "need to pee" variety. Nothing like standing there trying to talk down Mr. Happy when your bladder feels as if it's going to rupture any nanosecond.

However, if it hasn't reached that critical stage yet, where the urge is there, but not yet uncomfortable, and you have an aroused partner around to share it, I've found it to be a welcome awakening. For me, it causes desensitization in varying degrees. Sometimes, up to the point where I can keep going full force until the bladder situation hits critical with nary a worry about coming.

Then you've got to go through the whole talk it down and pee phase before you can get yours, though. As often as not, she's pretty much uncontrollably quivering, panting, and near insensible by that point, so it's a "next time" thing.

Totally worth it.

Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Quite Neighborly

09/14/17
Overdue

09/28/17
Hot Shorts

11/22/17
Holly Jolley Christmas

12/05/17
Unleashed
Coming Soon!

Old 10-09-2017, 10:55 PM   #20
Zeb_Carter
.-- - ..-.

Morning wood has been around for ages...I first heard the term in high school back in the '60s. So that's 40 odd years ago. Also heard sporting wood, got wood back then. Of course I lived in the big city back then, Chicago.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #21
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RejectReality View Post
However, if it hasn't reached that critical stage yet, where the urge is there, but not yet uncomfortable, and you have an aroused partner around to share it, I've found it to be a welcome awakening. For me, it causes desensitization in varying degrees. Sometimes, up to the point where I can keep going full force until the bladder situation hits critical with nary a worry about coming.
As near as I can tell, women aren't usually into morning wood. They might be more likely to say "Get off my back, go pee, and leave me alone." Breakfast and coffee are more exciting.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #22
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by RejectReality View Post
Most of the time, it's an incredible inconvenience — especially when it's the "need to pee" variety. Nothing like standing there trying to talk down Mr. Happy when your bladder feels as if it's going to rupture any nanosecond.
Synonym: piss-on.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #23
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

It's well known in Australia. Our UK members are probably still asleep* but I'm pretty sure it's a common expression there as well. For example, this UK-published story uses it as a joke in the title: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/love-...-morning-wood/

Pretty much no cultural reference is universal, but I think the great majority of readers would catch this one, especially in context.

*nudge nudge, wink wink

Old 10-09-2017, 11:57 PM   #24
LoquiSordidaAdMe
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
But it isn't hyphenated.
By itself, no. But since I'm using it as part of a complex adjective phrase to modify the word "erection", I thought the most effective punctuation was to hyphenate the entire phrase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voboy View Post
You need a new editor. Nobody who lacks an understanding of morning wood, hyphenated or not, has any business editing erotica.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My I View Post
Your editor needs to go back to children's books.
Unfortunately, good editor's are hard to come by. The Editor's Forum is kind of a ghost town. This is my third story and my third editor. And other than this one issue, a very good editor indeed. The rest of the comments have all been insightful, and more typos were caught than I expected. I would definitely use this editor again if they are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVINRFANTASIES View Post
As he aged his hard wood has turned into a Weeping Willow.
A cruel fate that awaits us all. It sounds like you were able to enjoy it while it lasted Dollie, which is more than a lot of us can say.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #25
SamScribble
Yeah, still just a guru

Such sweet memories.