Old 09-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
John988
Really Experienced
 
John988 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 209
Help With A Category

I'm currently working on a story that's a collection of vignettes. There's lesbian, cuckold, incest, and a slew of other things. What category should I list it in? I'm thinking Erotic Couplings, but I'm not sure.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,758
Incest is a "control" category here, so if it has a described incest scene, the editor is likely to put it in Incest no matter how you marked it.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
John988
Really Experienced
 
John988 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
Incest is a "control" category here, so if it has a described incest scene, the editor is likely to put it in Incest no matter how you marked it.
What do you mean by a "control category"?
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
NotWise
Snipe hunter
 
NotWise's Avatar
 
NotWise is online now
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: On the high desert
Posts: 4,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by John988 View Post
What do you mean by a "control category"?
Readers of categories other than I/T are usually offended by the presence of incest in a story. As a result, most any story with incest in it--even if it isn't a main theme--usually should be in I/T.

If you try to put it into some other category and Laurel finds the incest content then she may put it in I/T anyway.
__________________
My stories

My personal favorites are The Third Ring and Oscar's Place.
My Valentines Day contest entry was Her Bodyguard (and his Dirty Valentine). It's a little brother/sister love story.
My most recent story is The Third Ring -- Tamsin of Sky Village, a story inspired by the legendary character of Yellow Woman.
I was seduced by two dead flappers, so next up is a ghost story named "Love is Enough."
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
John988
Really Experienced
 
John988 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
Readers of categories other than I/T are usually offended by the presence of incest in a story. As a result, most any story with incest in it--even if it isn't a main theme--usually should be in I/T.

If you try to put it into some other category and Laurel finds the incest content then she may put it in I/T anyway.
Really? I suppose that makes sense: as popular as incest is, it is still highly controversial. I think I'll take out the incest, then. It's not pivotal to the story, and I don't think that the rest of it would be satisfying to people who were looking for an incest story.

Any other words of wisdom you have about categories?
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #6
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru
 
SimonDoom is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,898
This is an excellent article that explains the peculiarities of categories on this site, and which categories "trump" the other ones. It's very helpful to know how this works.

https://www.literotica.com/s/love-yo...ers-categories
__________________
My stories are at https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
RejectReality
Literotica Guru
 
RejectReality's Avatar
 
RejectReality is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Alternate Reality
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonDoom View Post
This is an excellent article that explains the peculiarities of categories on this site, and which categories "trump" the other ones. It's very helpful to know how this works.

https://www.literotica.com/s/love-yo...ers-categories
That may not be up to speed with current conditions, though.

Incest, as a trump, seems to be overruling previous norms almost absolutely now. If there's Incest, Pseudo-Incest, or even Incest Roleplay, it seems to get slapped into I/T regardless of whether it contains stronger or equally strong elements that fit perfectly well into another category that is historically accepting of various kinks.

So far as the OP: I honestly don't see any category where you're going to get a great reception from a collection of kinks that diverse. The incest is going to creep out readers in most categories, and if it gets slapped into Incest/Taboo, you're likely to get savaged by the readership there for all the off-topic content.

Since it's a collection of vignettes, I would seriously consider removing the incest one and waiting until you have enough to include it in an incest-exclusive collection.

That's just the hottest potato, though. Lesbian and Cuckold aren't exactly compatible readerships, either. The bulk of the readership here is extremely tribal. They go to a category looking for something specific, and they're not happy when you throw them a curveball.

If, however, there's a connection in the vignettes ( perhaps they share characters, a setting, etc. ) or you simply feel that dropping/shifting the scenes destroys the integrity of the piece, you could go with Erotic Couplings. ( which is a bit of a grab-bag category with a transient readership ) There's a better than average chance that the incest content will get it moved to that category, though.

There's still a readership for darn near anything here, but you just have to be prepared for a less than stellar reception and potentially nasty commentary if you combine too many kinks in one piece. You just have to take the eyeballs you will connect with and be happy about them. It will probably still be more readers than you'll get anywhere else.
__________________




Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Unleashed

01/17/18
*
Coming In Third

05/15/18
*
Smooth Operator

05/21/18
*
Her Own Skin

07/05/18
*
Fill 'Er Up

07/06/18
*
Hooters

07/18/18

  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #8
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by RejectReality View Post
That may not be up to speed with current conditions, though.

Incest, as a trump, seems to be overruling previous norms almost absolutely now. If there's Incest, Pseudo-Incest, or even Incest Roleplay, it seems to get slapped into I/T regardless of whether it contains stronger or equally strong elements that fit perfectly well into another category that is historically accepting of various kinks.
If that's the trend (and I could believe it--there are moves in the greater erotica distribution world to isolate incest stories like this in preparation for more distributors to just ban them) I would counsel authors not to post GM incest to Literotica at all. It's not going to be received well in the Incest category here--badly enough not to bother to try posting it at all.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 10:45 PM   #9
NotWise
Snipe hunter
 
NotWise's Avatar
 
NotWise is online now
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: On the high desert
Posts: 4,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
If that's the trend (and I could believe it--there are moves in the greater erotica distribution world to isolate incest stories like this in preparation for more distributors to just ban them) I would counsel authors not to post GM incest to Literotica at all. It's not going to be received well in the Incest category here--badly enough not to bother to try posting it at all.
That doesn't make very much commercial sense to me. Incest is a popular fantasy. They would lose a big chunk of market by banning incest stories. What's the logic?
__________________
My stories

My personal favorites are The Third Ring and Oscar's Place.
My Valentines Day contest entry was Her Bodyguard (and his Dirty Valentine). It's a little brother/sister love story.
My most recent story is The Third Ring -- Tamsin of Sky Village, a story inspired by the legendary character of Yellow Woman.
I was seduced by two dead flappers, so next up is a ghost story named "Love is Enough."
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 11:03 PM   #10
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
That doesn't make very much commercial sense to me. Incest is a popular fantasy. They would lose a big chunk of market by banning incest stories. What's the logic?
There doesn't have to be logic. Underage is a guaranteed sale too, as is rape and sexual snuff. Distributors don't go there. It's been on and off with Incest for a decade. There's another thread here somewhere about Smashwords making its erotica authors all go back over their inventory (I have over 200 titles with Smashwords--thank goodness they are all by publishers who have to do this. The indy authors have to do their own) and verify, one by one, that there's no incest or pseudo incest (which isn't even incest) in the books. One of Smashwords' major distributors, Barnes and Nobel, has dropped distributing incest. This isn't the first distributor attack over the last ten years over a few categories, including incest.

Indy-published erotica has been a big headache for major distributors on content, cover images, substandard quality, and copyright issues. They increasingly aren't seeing the profit as worth the aggregation. Amazon, which has the crazy policy, of reimbursing returns at 100 percent without question, has particular aggregation with edgy erotica because readers in this area are particularly dishonest about ordering, consuming, and returning for reimbursement.

If Literotica is, as RR suggests, changing its rationale for what goes into the Incest category here in response to this trend (or even for any other reason), it would be nice if the Web site administration spelled that out on the board for authors. No further comment on the likelihood of that.
__________________
______________________

Last edited by sr71plt : 09-26-2017 at 11:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 11:40 PM   #11
NotWise
Snipe hunter
 
NotWise's Avatar
 
NotWise is online now
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: On the high desert
Posts: 4,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
If Literotica is, as RR suggests, changing its rationale for what goes into the Incest category here in response to this trend (or even for any other reason), it would be nice if the Web site administration spelled that out on the board for authors. No further comment on the likelihood of that.
I reread what RR said and we're not on the same page. Maybe he can clarify.

The market is there. I suspect (without more than general experience) that if one retailer walks away then another will take advantage of the opening. Is there a reason why they wouldn't?
__________________
My stories

My personal favorites are The Third Ring and Oscar's Place.
My Valentines Day contest entry was Her Bodyguard (and his Dirty Valentine). It's a little brother/sister love story.
My most recent story is The Third Ring -- Tamsin of Sky Village, a story inspired by the legendary character of Yellow Woman.
I was seduced by two dead flappers, so next up is a ghost story named "Love is Enough."
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 11:56 PM   #12
RejectReality
Literotica Guru
 
RejectReality's Avatar
 
RejectReality is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Alternate Reality
Posts: 2,215
I've personally seen two stories with incest/pseudo-incest where the author wished them to be in Non-Human or Sci-Fi&Fantasy, which they most certainly were, and the category was changed to incest. Both tried to switch the category back to their original choice and were unsuccessful.

Both of those categories have always been tolerant of incest content especially when warned. So I doubt the readership of the categories are complaining about it.

I've seen other stories pop up ( via perusing the comment portals and seeing "Not incest!" complaints ) that likewise had the author commenting that they'd originally selected an appropriate category, but it was changed because of incest content.

That's where I'm coming from. Incest has always been a trump, but there were several exceptions. Those exceptions do not seem to apply any longer.
__________________




Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Unleashed

01/17/18
*
Coming In Third

05/15/18
*
Smooth Operator

05/21/18
*
Her Own Skin

07/05/18
*
Fill 'Er Up

07/06/18
*
Hooters

07/18/18

  Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 11:58 PM   #13
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
The market is there. I suspect (without more than general experience) that if one retailer walks away then another will take advantage of the opening. Is there a reason why they wouldn't?
Because they have before, and because if you can't get on distribution with one of the few major distributors who exist, you will be paying people to take your product.

It's not just the distributors. Most of the money for this goes through PayPal. When PayPal shuts it down--even though you and I see that they aren't going with the market--the distributors do too. And PayPal has shut it all down before for incest.

There's always been a need for more distributors--but at the same time major erotica distributors have been shutting down.

And as far as the e-book erotica market goes, I've been suggesting for some time that if you aren't already in that market with titles and can take a steady decrease in sales, you've missed the crest of the wave already. People already have their e-readers stuffed with books they'll never get around to reading and they are moving on to other delights.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2017, 12:02 AM   #14
NotWise
Snipe hunter
 
NotWise's Avatar
 
NotWise is online now
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: On the high desert
Posts: 4,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
And as far as the e-book erotica market goes, I've been suggesting for some time that if you aren't already in that market with titles and can take a steady decrease in sales, you've missed the crest of the wave already. People already have their e-readers stuffed with books they'll never get around to reading and they are moving on to other delights.
You're such a pessimist, but then I'm an optimist with no experience.
__________________
My stories

My personal favorites are The Third Ring and Oscar's Place.
My Valentines Day contest entry was Her Bodyguard (and his Dirty Valentine). It's a little brother/sister love story.
My most recent story is The Third Ring -- Tamsin of Sky Village, a story inspired by the legendary character of Yellow Woman.
I was seduced by two dead flappers, so next up is a ghost story named "Love is Enough."
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #15
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
You're such a pessimist, but then I'm an optimist with no experience.
Yeah, I was thinking of the effect of no experience on the topic.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.