Into the dark unknown (Closed for The_gladiator)

Angeleyz

Literotica Guru
Joined
Aug 7, 2012
Posts
10,538
Huddled under a tree, arms wrapped around herself trying to hug close the latest vestiges of heat from her rapidly cooling body, she tried unsuccessfully to keep her teeth from chattering as the cold, driving rain picked up speed. She couldn't believe the way her luck was going lately - first losing her job a month ago, then the airlines losing her luggage on the flight over and now the stupid fight with Derek which had ended with her storming away from the picturesque overlook to cool down, never expecting him to just take off like that.

Her father, God rest his soul, had always said she should have been born a redhead as opposed to her almost jet-black mop. 'Red is God's way of saying warning, warning' he would tease her when her temper would flare, 'and goodness knows you need to come with a label'. But it had been a long time since it had erupted as it did after she had listened to Derek and his angry comments. She sniffled, remembering his unfounded accusations. She had never once looked at another man in the three years they had been dating, let alone flirted with one. However, that hadn't stopped his litany of complaints as he enumerated all his 'evidence', which he apparently had been collecting since the odd occurrence at the airport.

It wasn't like she had run into the group of men on purpose. One minute she had been looking down at the map, trying to figure out where the baggage claim area was, and the next she had bounced off what felt like a brick wall before strong hands had steadied her. Outside of murmuring an apology she hadn't said anything else, flummoxed by the way the trio had looked at her so strangely. Although there was something about the tallest one that had caused a shiver to run down her spine, and Derek was insistent that she had done or said something as they had continued to stare after her long after she had walked away.

And then there were the damned dreams that had followed since that day. Dreams that left her tossing and turning, restlessly moving about and murmuring some guy's name. Dreams she had absolutely no recollection of when awaking, and dreams that left her so utterly drained she almost feared going to sleep.

Shivering violently, she peered into the growing darkness, hoping she'd see headlights signaling Derek's return. The woods around her were starting to freak her out, convinced that there was at least one set of glowing eyes staring at her, and she wished she hadn't lost her temper with him instead of discussing his insecurities in a calm, rational manner.
 
Everything in life needed balance. Even predators had things that hunted them. Aiden was one of those predators. He was hunter of things that went bump in the night so to speak. He was an alpha predator. He was a bounty hunter of the supernatural.

Most of his duty was to police wereanimal communities, rogues who got out of hand. He was rarely called on to hunt vampires as it was well known that the sentinels of vampire kind did an excellent job policing their own. That being said he had earned the respect of even that illustrious group of hunters for the duties he performed. He even had a badge from the United States government, most of which believed he was some sort of psychic, though technically true was fairly inaccurate.

As a born shifter rather than one infected, Aiden was slightly different than most weres. He was not a slave to the moon and had a greater control of his shifting. These facts alone coupled with the xenophobia of most packs had caused Him to become a lone wolf. He existed outside standard pack structure. This meant he was either revered or feared depending on how the packs looked on him. Add in the badge and friendship with vampire kind and Aiden was a lone wolf in reality almost as much as in name. He was lonely and he’d set out to find a partner. One that could complete him, accept what he did as well as offer him companionship.

He had seen her just days ago in the airport as he stood speaking to a pair of contacts, Alphas of a local pack, who wanted to kill their leader however neither were strong enough to challenge him to single combat. The two alphas, weaklings in his opinion had asked for Aiden’s help. He had taken the job because there was a police execution warrant out on the leader, and because some of their presented evidence had been gruesome indeed. He had spoken to her only briefly after steadying her. However he had noticed and remembered. Dark hair, long, curves that just wouldn’t quit, how could he forget her. However what was it that had called to him?

Such were the thoughts that were running through his head as he finished his macabre task for the locals. He truly must be lonely if he was thinking of such a trivial meeting while on the job. He was unaware of the dreams he’d been sending her, and unaware that his subconscious, his wolf had sensed the presence of her and that’s why he was thinking of her. The wolf was clawing for release, wanting to be free, to go to her. He seemed to think she was hurting.

Aiden finally gave into the wolf, letting him free, what could it hurt in such a woods at night. The wolf instantly took over, taking them on quick feet through the trees.

Green eyes watched her and Aiden was surprised to hear the wolf let out a soft whine. It was clear to both Aiden and his wolf that she was hurting and they were also torn, they couldn’t go to her for fear of scaring her. If Aiden recalled she had been with a man. Why had he left her alone? Furthermore though, why did he care, what was it about her?
 
Blinking rapidly to clear the raindrops that clung to her long lashes, Violet tried to discern whether there truly was something staring at her off to her right. She had just about convinced herself that the glowing eyes were just a figment of her overactive imagination when she heard a faint sound, almost like a whine. If she squinted just so, she thought maybe she could almost make out a slightly darker shadow in the already dark woods.

It was a whine, definitely not a threatening growl or even a warning rumble, right? Probably some poor family pet that had gotten loose and was lost in the woods… Maybe even hurt!

Always a softie for an animal in distress, Violet pushed herself away from the tree, wanting to make sure the poor thing whining in the shadows was okay. Holding her hands out to ward off low hanging branches, she crooned almost nonsensical words in a soft, reassuring tone, alternating between boy and girl since she wasn’t sure what exactly she’d find when she got there.

“It’s okay, boy,” she murmured as she finally got to about where she thought that darker shadow rested, “let me take a lo-…”

The sudden streak of lightening that lit up the darkness should have been a welcome relief. Should have except it allowed Violet to see what she had been walking toward. At first glance, she might have thought it was a German shepherd. That was until she realized that it was standing on a rather sharp slope, and that it had to be twice the size of an average shepherd to be practically looking her in the eyes like it was.

“Holy crap,” she muttered, coming to a sudden stop just as veil of darkness fell again. It had to be a wolf, an honest to goodness wolf. Could wolves climb trees? Should she climb a tree? She really should climb a tree! Why the hell wasn’t she climbing a tree?!?!

Her feet began shuffling backwards as her thoughts became more and more frenzied. She tried to see whether the wolf had moved, and the moment she became convinced it had, she let out a shriek that would have normally embarrassed the hell out of herself and pivoted in the opposite direction to take off as quickly as she could. She got about ten paces before she ran headfirst into a tree, knocking her to the ground in a stunned heap.
 
Aiden was surprised when the woman responded to the soft wine. She was alert; he had to give her credit or that. He was slightly amused at the good girl comments as the small woman approached.

The wolf let out another wine when she said good boy, as if he were confirming that she had gotten the correct gender. He could smell her as she drew closer and the wolf in hailed deeply scenting her. She smelled familiar, but more than that, she smelled like home. Could home have a scent? If it could that’s how she smelled. Home, mixed with fire and the sweet allure of wild sex, but then again such things were home to someone like him.

Just when the wolf was about to nuzzle her, maybe lick her like a common dog—what was his problem anyway—Aiden wondered, the night was lit up by a flash of lightning. Revealing the wolf in its full black coated glory. Bright eyes reflecting the light.

Predictably the woman freaked out. Aiden could have told the wolf this was a bad idea, but nooo he had to go and try to whore himself out like a common poodle, and now they had scared the woman when predictably the I’m a cute Labrador act fell flat on its face. Speaking of falling—it did not take her long to hit a tree and fall down. Things just kept getting better and better.

Aiden urged the wolf to approach her, smelling her, hearing that she still lived. He could feel her breath tickle the whiskers on his muzzle as the wolf sniffed near her face. Aiden let the wolf explore some more, but sharply took control when the wolf did a very undog or wolf like thing and nuzzled at her chest. If she woke to that she’d freak out thinking he was trying to eat her heart out.

In the space between one breath and another Aiden took over and with a flow of mist the black wolf was gone and a man with shaggy hair, as black as the wolf’s fur was in his place. A second thought clothed him in comfortable faded black jeans and a t-shirt that stretched tight over his muscled chest and stomach. It was a far cry from the suite she had seen him in earlier, but he was in the woods, he’d seem more out of place in an Armani suit. He laid his large hand to her cheek, tempted to trace those kissable lips with his fingertips, but restricted himself to simply brushing dirt from the scrape on her forehead. “Are you alright my lady?” the words came out in a low rumble, like distant thunder, with the barest hint of an accent. “I heard your scream.” God willing she had not seen his transformation, he was not ready for such questions. Not after the wolf had so clearly frightened her.
 
It was the dampness she noticed first, although why the bed would be wet was beyond her comprehension. And while the mattress at the hotel was firmer than she had at home, she hadn’t recalled it being so rock hard. Forehead crinkling, she struggled to throw off the heavy veil of sleep that wrapped around her so tightly and felt a warm hand brush lightly against her oddly chilled skin.

Are you alright, my lady? I heard your scream.”

Good lord was that a yummy voice, just the right baritone to settle into one’s bones and warm them. And the accent… the accent could tempt even the most pious person to dream the most sinful things. But wait... Derek didn’t have an accent…

Her eyes fluttered open, and Violet ended up staring at the man leaning over her in confusion. “You’re not Derek,” she murmured in confusion, wondering who the heck he was and better yet why the hell she was laying in what felt like a mud puddle. She jackknifed to a sitting position and almost immediately fell back as her head swam in such an alarming fashion she swore she saw coocoos flying around in a circle ala Saturday cartoons.

“What happened,” she asked once the nausea died down, “where’s Derek?”
 
She woke at the sound of his voice. She did not respond much better to his human form than the wolf one. Then again she was a woman all alone in the woods. As she sat up too rapidly he backed off quickly, leaning back on his heels, reaching out when she predictably almost immediately fell backward. He steadied her, large hands on her shoulders until she seemed to find her balance. He hoped it was just the rapid movement that had gotten her, not that she was concussed by the blow to the head.

It was about then when his ears caught what she was mumbling. “If Derek is the reason you are alone in the woods I hope he has found his way into one of the 7 circles of hell. I am sure that there he will find a new definition of pain as demons devour his empty ball sack slowly, bite by bite.” So, perhaps he wasn’t the most civilized person at times. There was a reason that he was a loner. However his words seemed to amuse himself, for his lips quirked up in a close mouthed smile, a smile that if one wasn’t paying attention they might have missed it.

“I ask you again, are you alright my lady? You seem to have been startled and hurt yourself. What seems to have frightened you?” he asked sounding concerned, even though he knew well what had happened.
 
His words didn't make any sense and the intensity behind them should have been alarming, but that accent... holy cow that accent, should be outlawed. She blinked, trying to put his words together in a way that made sense, and then she remembered.

"Wolf! There's a wolf!" she cried, her head swiveling convinced the wolf was still nearby. The movement caused a wave of nausea to rush through her and she ended up limply reclining into the stranger's hands.

"I saw a wolf," Violet murmured weakly, "it was huge."

She couldn't tell what he thought of her claim, but given he didn't bother to even look around she figured he didn't put much stock in her words. Her eyes dropped to his chest in embarrassment, suddenly feeling foolish whereas just seconds before sheer panic had reigned.

"I swear I saw a wolf," she whispered.
 
Aiden tried to continue to look concerned though of course he couldn’t muster the energy to look around for a wolf who was inside of him. “There could be wolves in these woods.” He said finally, still more concerned about her injury than the wolf situation, and wasn’t that complicated enough.

“Many wolves are just as frightened of you as you are of them, probably tourists feed it. Are you sure it wasn’t a dog?” he asked trying to deflect her, maybe she could be convinced it was a very large dog. As he spoke his hands slid over the side of her forehead, checking for blood. He then looked into her eyes, trying to see if her pupals were dilating the same way. “Look at me,” he rumbled softly, “I am trying to be sure you aren’t severely hurt.” His hands were gentle when he touched her. He wished he had remembered to conjure a coat with his clothing, but as it stood, he was just in a t-shirt and had no warm clothing to offer her. “I’m not a doctor, but I’ve seen some people get injured before.” He finally offered by way of explanation for checking her over. The wolf inside was crying out to protect this woman, to shelter her, to make sure she was safe. “May I ask why you’re all alone out here?” He finally asked letting his hands fall away from her face, fairly sure she was not bleeding at least no more than a few superficial scrapes could produce.
 
Wincing as his hands brushed across her face, Violet wondered if what the man said was true. It was dark and together with the rain, visibility was so bad she couldn't tell if the shirt he was wearing sported a design or not. Could she have mistaken a dog for a wolf? Squinting at his shirt and still unable to tell if it was plain or not, she supposed he could be right, which made her feel even more foolish.

Look at me.

Blinking to keep the raindrops out, she raised her eyes to his as he ran through a series of almost clinical steps. His talk of injuries brought attention once more to the full fledged pounding in her head leaving her feeling like she had been smacked upside the head by a two by four. What the heck had happened?

May I ask why you’re all alone out here?

Violet opened her mouth to answer and when she realized she had no clue it closed with a snap. She tried to remember what happened prior to waking up to his leaning over her and the conviction that she had seen a wolf. She could picture this Derek, the one she remembered asking about but not what he was to her. Husband? Friend? Lover? Her brow furrowed as she pushed harder against the blackness that seemed to have invaded her brain. She remembered driving and stopping, talking and then arguing, but what the row had been about she couldn't recall.

Over and over it happened. Moments of clarity like recalling the crispness of hotel sheets against her skin and smiling pleasantly at a tired looking flight attendant, followed quickly by periods of absolute nothing. No clue as to the hotel's name or location, no clue as to where she was flying to and worse... No insight into where she had been from.

How could that be? How could she remember Derek's growing frustration with the child behind him as the toddler repeatedly kicked the chair back, but not know where she called home? That she was on vacation, but had no clue where? That she had planned this trip for months, but didn't have a job.

The more she tried to recall, the worse her head felt until she thought she'd throw up. Swallowing hard, she replied in a shaking voice, "I don't know... A fight... I think. Maybe?"
 
Aiden grunted at her response. “Concussion.” He said simply. “Sounds like you’re fogged up good. You wanna go to the hospital and get it checked out?”
Hospital to get it checked out?”

Aiden had zero desire to go to the hospital, but it was his fault this woman was hurt. Well it was that attention whore wolf’s fault. He also knew she was his and he wasn’t about to let her go. “Can you tell me your name?” he began a simple series of questions trying to see what she could remember. “How many fingers am I holding up?” he asked holding up 3 fingers.

As he spoke his other hand had found the lump on her head, confirming that she had hit her head hard. Though part of him wondered if this had something to do with his knowing that she was his mate, and possibly she feeling the pull too. It would depend on if she knew anything about his world.
 
The idea of going to a hospital when she was positive she had lost her job recently and therefore may not have any insurance had her shaking her head in denial almost as soon as the words left his mouth. Of course, the shaking further exasperated the throbbing in her head and she barely swallowed a moan.

Can you tell me your name?

Frustrated when such an easy answer didn’t immediately roll off her tongue, she scrunched her eyes closed tight and tried to push through the darkness. It wasn’t a trendy name, but wasn’t necessarily common either. Wasn’t super long, but could be shortened. Wasn’t old fashioned, but could be. Something natural, something earthy maybe? No, not quite earthy, but definitely something found in nature.

Brooke? Skye? Meadow? Coral? Iris? Holly?...

“Something flower based,” she muttered finally opening her eyes, although she could also hear the faint rumble of a distant voice calling her his pequeñita. Was that Derek?

How many fingers am I holding up?

“Three,” she answered distractedly wondering if perhaps she was totally off base thinking her name had anything to do with flowers, “I also know that I’m not from around here, but don’t know where here is.”
 
Last edited:
He shrugged at her not wanting to go to the hospital. He knew she should go, but his distaste for the places helped convince him not to argue.

“Roses are red, violets are blue. I think I need a stiff drink or two.” He muttered as he realized the woman didn’t even remember her own name. “Let me assure you that here is a shit hole town not worth remembering, who’s only redeeming qualities are there’s an airport and is relatively close to a beach.” He summarized their location dryly to her.

The wolf was concerned about its mate, it wanted back out. He was very unhappy that Aiden was squashing his urges with an iron fist. He quizzed her on some other basic questions, who was president, what country was she in what year was it, she seemed to remember those things but couldn’t remember basic things about herself or the events leading up to the impact with the tree. “Well if you won’t go to a hospital, you’re coming with me to my hotel, then, so I can keep an eye on your health.” This was more order than request, not really giving her an option. “You can rest and I can get that stiff drink.” He teased, only half joking. Unfortunately, he didn’t drink, he knew better than to take something that would encourage him to lose control, however he wasn’t going to explain that to her. “Come on rose,” he said referring back to his little rhyme, “Or, do you like violet better?”
 
Listening to his less than glowing accounting of the local area, she frowned as she tried to figure out why she had been so sure she had been planning the trip for months. While she could see herself going to the beach for a day or two, more than that didn’t have any immediate appeal. If anything, she would have thought something in the opposite direction would be more her style. Something more rugged. Rustic. Remote. Secluded. Yes, seclusion was critical. Privacy was to be carefully guarded since one never knew when… Once more there was nothing. What the hell… when what?!?!

Well if you won’t go to a hospital, you’re coming with me to my hotel, then, so I can keep an eye on your health.

She could tell he didn’t agree with her decision about going to the hospital by the tone of his voice, but she didn’t necessarily agree with his mandate about going back to his hotel. Besides the whole stranger danger vibe, she was hesitant to expose herself to many people when she was in such a disadvantaged state. Then again, perhaps she was staying at the same hotel and seeing it would job her memory.

Come on, Rose. Or, do you like Violet better?

“You can call me, Vi,” she divulged automatically, “I’m only called Violet when I’m in trouble.”

Half a beat later, her brain finally processed her knee jerk reaction to his query and a huge smile crossed her face. Oh thank god, perhaps the rest would return as swiftly! There was a pregnant pause as if the two of them held their breath in anticipation of the fog in her brain to be lifted before she shrugged a shoulder. “Perhaps it only works if I don’t think about it?”

Violet struggled to her feet, swaying slightly before righting herself. Laying in the mud wasn’t going to bring her memory back and could very well end in pneumonia if she wasn’t careful. She was soaked to the bone and felt like she’d never get warm again. Getting out of the freezing rain was obviously a priority, and while she still wasn’t comfortable with the idea, going back to his hotel seemed to be her only option at the moment.

“Is it far?”
 
He looked surprised at her knee jerk reaction to his offhand comment. He had structured that nicely but hadn’t actually expected it to jog her memory. He couldn’t tell her he knew her name, or thought he did, but it was still well played.

Then he seemed to hear what she had said. “I will do no such thing. Vi? That is not a name. I shall call you Violet.” He reached out steadying her with one arm around her shoulders as she stood on wobbly legs. “Such a little flower,” he murmured to himself seeing how much larger than her he truly was. He then seemed to realize what he had said/done and stepped away the gruff taking back over from the gentle way he had called her a little flower.

“I’m Aiden,” he added almost as an afterthought realizing she might wish his name as well. He began to walk back through the trees. “Far to the hotel, or to my motorcycle?” he asked over his shoulder, “The answer is about a quarter mile to my bike and the hotel will not take long to get to at that point. You are lucky, I have one of the larger bikes, so you’ll actually have a seat.” As he spoke, he kept an eye on her. Even though he led the way he seemed protective of her, and looked a step away from sweeping her into his arms if she looked ready to fall.
 
Thankful for his assistance as the ground seemed to roll under her feet as her equilibrium tried to even out, she thought it wasn’t the first time someone called her little. She had always been the anomaly in her family, so much so that even nephews that were half her age were taller than her. Again she could hear the velvety tone of that deep voice reminding her, ‘Good things come in small packages, pequeñita’.

Violet wasn’t sure if it was the frustration of having those brief snippets of clarity and recall come and go, but she felt oddly bereft when Aiden stepped away and started their journey through the forest. His long legs could have easily outpaced hers, and she was thankful that he didn’t force her to rush to keep up with him as she was certain that would end up in another disastrous sprawl on the ground. If they didn’t rush, she could probably handle a quarter mile walk, although the way Aiden kept looking back left her wondering if she looked as unsteady as she felt.

Never let a wolf see a weakness, pequeñita.

Words spoken in love but exasperation, and even though she still couldn’t picture to whom the disembodied voice belonged not recall why it was said, Violet obeyed without question, drawing up to her full height as slight as it may be, gait evening out. She found that if she didn’t move her head, keeping her eyes on her guide that the nausea was kept mostly at bay. One step at a time, that’s all she had to do. One step at a time.

“Will it start,” somehow knowing that some bikes could be problematic in storms. She’d worry about whether she could sit upright on it without being bungy-corded when they finally reached it.
 
Last edited:
“I’ll make sure it starts,” Aiden said firmly. The raptor glower at the thought of it not obeying him called into question anything’s sense that didn’t listen to him. He clearly was used to things obeying his commands. “You’d best hope it does, or else you’ll have to be ok with me carrying you for quite a while.” He looked at her again, “Not that your weight would trouble me much. Do you even eat?” he teased, this last clearly trying to make her smile. She was no stick, she had curves that were enough to make him salivate, but compared to him she was for sure, tiny.

Aiden stepped over a fallen log and then turned to her and offered her a calloused hand to assist her with climbing over the log. He did not just pick her up and carry her over the obstruction as he wanted to, so thought he was doing exceedingly well on the manners scale. “So, do you often meet strangers in the woods?” he asked as he waited to see if she would accept his offered hand.
 
His fierce look would have given anyone pause, but Violet wasn’t sure how well it would work with an inanimate object but hopefully she wouldn’t have to find out as she was eager to get out of the cold rain. Rolling her eyes at his comment about her size, she muttered, “Clearly” somehow knowing she was lucky to have been blessed with a quick metabolism because according to co-workers she had a hell of an appetite for someone her size.

She would have stumbled over the fallen log if Aiden hadn’t turned to her with an extended hand. Not wanting to test her precarious hold over her balance, she placed her fingers ever so slightly on his hand just long enough to clear the log before withdrawing them. She almost wished she had risked a spill instead of accepting his assistance as brief as it was because there was a delicious heat emanating from his hand alone that seemed to make the rain feel colder now.

“Not that I recall,” she responded once she was sure her teeth wouldn’t chatter. Thinking to distract herself she added, “Do you?” as she continued to carefully place one foot in front of the other.
 
Last edited:
“More than you might think,” he replied with a slight laugh to cover the deadly truth of that comment. “When you spend as much time in the woods as I do, you meet all sorts of people and animals.” He added. He did not mention that some of the so-called people were animals.

“I do have to say you are the most unique, though,” he offered, not every person I meet in the woods has a concussion and forgets who they are.

They walked slowly through the trees, mostly in silence. He helped her through some tough places yet again and finally they arrived at a driveway that deadended in the woods and there was parked the bike, all in black. It looked mean, hungry even. But true to his word it was a touring bike so there was a seatback on the rear for his passenger. “Not my normal bike, but it’ll due.” He commented. “It’s more comfortable for longer rides.” He explained. “So, you think you can stay on?” He turned to face her one finger lifting her chin, “Maybe I should call a taxi. Does uber come out to bum fuck know where?” he asked his eyes meeting hers.
 
Violet would have asked him what he did that he spent so much time in the woods but was distracted by a near stumble in a particularly uneven area. Only Aiden’s quick reaction saved her from sprawling once more on the ground. Murmuring an embarrassed thanks, she wondered if he was mentally adding clumsy to her ‘unique’ status and chided herself to be more careful. Focusing on the terrain before her as they continued on took all her concentration, the silence only broken on the few occasions where she had to accept his assistance in maneuvering through a rough area.

Preoccupied with paying attention to the placement of her feet, she didn’t realize they had finally reached the bike until he spoke. For some reason, it suited him even though he said it wasn’t his normal ride. So, you think you can stay on? Maybe I should call a taxi. Does uber come out to bum fuck nowhere?

At this point, Violet just wanted to get out of the rain. Now that they’d stopped walking, she was half convinced she’d never feel warm again. “I’ve ridden before… I can stay on,” she insisted unsure if she was trying to convince herself more than him. “I’d rather not test the limits of uber’s range if you don’t mind.”

He studied her a moment, one brow raised almost imperiously, before releasing her chin, “As you wish, although I don’t have any helmets.”

Within minutes he was astride the bike, kickstand up, looking over his shoulder as if to ask her what her hold up was. Taking a deep breath and mentally crossing her fingers, she slipped behind him with ease. The deep throaty rumble prevented conversation so she simply leaned forward to give him a thumbs up signaling she was good to go.

Again there was such a delicious warmth emanating from him that Violet couldn’t resist the urge to cuddle up against his back. She figured between the seat wrapped around her back and his solid frame she’d be okay. He patted her knee before putting the bike in gear and taking off.
 
Last edited:
She gave him the thumbs up and he nodded to himself, not sure he really believed she was safe back there, but trusting his animal instincts and reflexes to save her should she slip. He gave into the wolf’s desire to touch her briefly caressing her knee to let her know he understood her thumbs up and to somehow communicate that she was safe with him.

With a throaty rumble, the bike came to life, shifting from neutral into gear. Aiden took it easy; he didn’t race the way he typically did, he didn’t lean far into the turns as he normally might, he generally tried to ride like a gentleman. One time taking his hand from the bars at a red light to pat her arms around his middle, letting her know she was welcome there, and he respected that she wasn’t complaining.

Finally, after a few moments they arrived at the hotel where she was staying. Parking the bike, he helped her down and swept her protectively under his arm. Just encase that jerk Derek was around, he wanted him to know that his little flower was with a real man now. The wolf wasn’t going to be so comfortable with her walking without his touch in public, around others.

As they strode through the doors of the hotel the receptionist greeted him by name. He in fact didn’t have a reservation at the moment, but she did recognize him. “Your room has been freshly cleaned sir; will you be staying with us?” Aiden did this, he cultivated relationships with people that saw everyone who came and went in places like this they made good sources of information. And, he could be charming if he tried. “Can you upgrade me to a suite Martha?” he asked as he guided her closer, “My friend will be staying with me tonight,”

“Oh, would you like her things sent up from her room, then?” Martha asked,

“That’ll be excellent,” Aiden replied, looking down at violet, “right, dear?” it was one of those questions that really only had one answer.
 
Normally she would have loved the ride as nothing was better than the uncaged feeling of zipping along windy roads, cool crisp wind in her face, but she was miserably cold or at least part of her was as she pressed against Aiden’s solid figure. She didn’t even bother to watch over his shoulder opting instead to trust in his abilities as she huddled against him with her eyes closed. She simply wanted out the rain and into something warm and dry.

‘Damn rain,’ she thought as her teeth started chattering in earnest.

Thankfully the ride to the hotel was blessedly short, although her muscles were so stiff that he had to help her down. She should have been embarrassed by that and the way he treated her like the delicate flower she was named after, but the arm he threw over her shoulders allowed her continued access to his body heat so she wasn’t about to protest. Not when shivers were making her body convulse in ever increasing strength, shudders that continued even after they entered the lobby of the hotel.

Violet didn’t follow most of Aiden’s conversation with the receptionist because she was too busy looking around in the hopes that something or someone would look familiar. Unfortunately, the lobby while charming didn’t yield any feelings of familiarity, and nobody stood out although she noticed more than one person craning their heads to look at them. She wrapped her arms around her middle as the convulsions grew, although she wasn’t sure it was completely due to the cold.

That’ll be excellent, right, dear?

Blinking up at him in bemusement, Violet wasn’t completely sure what was being asked of her as there had been something the woman had said that her mind was trying to tell her was important. Not wanting to admit that she hadn’t been paying attention, she nodded her head and hoped that whatever it was involved a hot shower and finding warm clothes.
 
Aiden smiled down at Violet as she agreed. He suspected she hadn’t been paying attention, but did not call her out about it at that time. Rather, he led her to the elevator, a keycard in hand. Once in the elevator, he pulled her closer, actually half hugging her, pressing her head into his chest, to his warmth. “We will get you warm and dry little one,” he rumbled, before finally, almost reluctantly releasing her as they arrived on the top floor.

The wolf inside him was becoming more and more protective, he wanted to protect her his little flower. They had just met, but his wolf was drawn to her, and therefore he was also. “You need assistance to shower,” he stated more than asked as he led her into the bathroom. “We will wait until the lady has your things brought up so you have your soaps and shampoos, I know how you women can be picky about them, and then I will help you. You will not argue with me about it either,” he said firmly. This was quite a speech from him, at least from what he had shown her so far in their acquaintance.
 
Already self-conscious because of her bedraggled appearance and the attention they were getting as Aiden ushered her towards the elevators, Violet stared straight ahead and tried not to grimace as her hiking boots made slurpy squelching sounds. It was a blessing when the doors closed behind them shutting off the unwanted attention, and she nearly sighed in relief when he pulled her close and spoke of being warm and dry. The ride up to his floor was over entirely too quickly and soon she was back to hugging her arms around her middle as she followed him into his suite. She only had a moment to look around and marvel at its opulence before he was leading her towards the bathroom.

You need assistance to shower.

Violet had started to nod thinking only of the idea of a hot, steamy shower before his words sunk in, all of them this time. ‘Oh hell no,’ she thought, while at the same time relieved to hear that were staying at the same hotel and that she wouldn’t have to try borrowing some clothes. Her head was already shaking an emphatic no before he finished speaking.

“As much as I appreciate your offer, that is not necessary,” she began firmly, unfazed by his tone of voice having grown up around too many alpha males, “I am more than capable of washing myself.” She would have pointed out how inappropriate that would be as they didn’t really know each other but the faint sound of someone knocking on the door interrupted her train of thought.

“Hopefully that will be my things,” she murmured, turning on her heel and heading to the door without bothering to see how Aiden took her dismissal.
 
Aiden was about to argue with her, but there was a knock. The wolf stirred in him. It wanted to pull her back and not allow her to open that door. “I’ll get.” It was too late she had already pulled the door open.

Two men stood outside the door in suits. They were the men that Aiden had been with at the airport those days ago, though she might not have recognized or remembered them at that time. Aiden’s wolf recognized them instantly and snarled within to protect what he saw as his. He came up behind her as one of the men spoke, “Where’s the hunter.”

“Hunter is my last name,” Aiden told Violet smoothly thankful in that moment that technically, that was true, as he could for the moment cover up the other’s strange wording.

“Can we have a word?” the second asked.” Aiden nodded his agreement to their request. Before he could step from the room, a bellhop approached carrying a cart full of Violet’s belongings. “And these would be your things dear one, why don’t you work on that shower while I finish my business with my friends, and then we’ll talk about dinner, food will warm you from the inside as well.” And patting her on the shoulder Aiden closed the room’s door and swept down the hall away from the room, the others in tow.

“It’s done?” one of the men asked.

“You have to ask,” Aiden snapped the wolf coming out in the rumble of his reply. One man raised his hands placatingly, “What about the Lupa?” he asked.

“The alpha female is your problem. I have done my duty, no more. It is not my job to set one of you up as her new mate, or as leaders. I rid the world of a dangerous criminal.” He snarled in low tones. “I have a right to remain in this area until I leave. Bother me again and feel my wrath.” The others nodded and backed away, clearly not happy with the response from Aiden but unwilling to fight the hunter over it.

Aiden returned to the room and walked to the phone to order food. He could hear the shower running, but resisted the urge to go to her. He would grant her privacy for now. He was finding it difficult to fight the wolf, who wanted out. Did he dare let him out? Moments later a giant black wolf lay on the floor its tail wrapping against the bed as he lay watching the bathroom door for her to come out. This was a very bad idea, and Aiden knew it, but his dominance of the wolf could only go so far, and the bastard was winning for now. He hoped he could flash back before she came out, or else there’d be some awkward explaining to do. But Aiden knew the wolf wanted his chance to whore for her attention again. You’re such a dog, he growled at his other half. The wolf only yawned and whapped his tail some more, as he waited for her. His mate.

That last thought froze Aiden, was that the bastard’s problem? Was this little flower his? It couldn’t be. She wasn’t a shifter, was she?
 
Violet felt a little foolish when she flung open the door expecting to see a hotel staff member with her things and instead faced two men in suits. There was just a moment when she thought she might know who they were but then the taller of them spoke in an unfamiliar voice.

Where’s the hunter?

Aiden’s voice came directly behind her as he spoke his last name. She stepped back so that he could greet the men, thinking it was odd that she had misheard the man when she normally had excellent hearing.

Great, something else that’s gone haywire.

She was quickly distracted from her fretting by the arrival of the bellhop with her things. She nodded at Aiden as he left the room with his friends before pushing the cart closer to the bathroom tucking it against the wall.

Rifling through her suitcase, she grabbed a change of clothes and her toiletries before heading into the bathroom. Placing her clothes on the sink, she turned the shower on full heat before bending down to untie the laces on her boots. By the time she was finally able to kick off the boots and peel off her wet clothes, the room was already filling with steam.

Stepping into the shower, Violet almost moaned as the hot water hit her cold skin and began working its magic. She lost track of how long she stood under the running water, the warmth slowly sweeping into her bones. At some point she roused up enough energy to wash herself figuring she should do so before the hot water ran out, and had she been in her own room she might have waited until that happened before turning off the water.

Reminding herself that she wasn’t in her own room and shouldn’t be hogging the bathroom, she turned the water off with a small sigh. Stepping out, she quickly toweled off so that she could slip into her clean clothes. Looking around for her brush and realizing she must have forgotten to grab it, she wrapped the towel around her hair and got dressed.

She could make out a faint noise as she hung up her wet clothes, and for the life of her she couldn’t figure out what the thumping could be. Of course that was assuming her ears weren’t playing tricks on her again. Shaking her head, she opened the door as she called out, “Sorry that took so long...” just as the towel started slipping and she had to bend slightly to wrap it more securely.
 
Back
Top