Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old Today, 02:28 AM   #1
JugheadJane
Virgin

How do YOU write a sequel?

Hello!

I had my first story published here last week, and Iím thrilled by the positive response it has received so far. I hadnít thought to make it a series, and perhaps I shouldnít, but perhaps the readers would like a follow up.

How did you know whether to turn your story in to a series?

If you do write a sequel, does it need to be/should it be in the same category as the first?

Old Today, 02:52 AM   #2
yukonnights
Literotica Guru

Here's a couple of links to past discussions about this. I'm sure you will find the answer in these.

Creating a Series -> http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1467235

How to create/submit different series? -> http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1467084

My LGBT Stories:
https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

BDSM TEST RESULTS:
== Results from bdsmtest.org == 99% Switch / 91% Voyeur / 87% Degradee / 85% Experimentalist / 77% Non-monogamist 77% Submissive / 76% Rope bunny / 74% Degrader / 70% Rigger / 66% Dominant / 60% Master/Mistress / 52% Exhibitionist / 36% Slave / 34% Owner / 25% Vanilla / 23% Masochist / 13% Sadist

Old Today, 02:58 AM   #3
JugheadJane
Virgin

Thanks so much! Iím still learning my way around this site and couldnít find a way to search topics.

Old Today, 03:03 AM   #4
RubenR
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugheadJane View Post
Hello!

I had my first story published here last week, and Iím thrilled by the positive response it has received so far. I hadnít thought to make it a series, and perhaps I shouldnít, but perhaps the readers would like a follow up.

If you do write a sequel, does it need to be/should it be in the same category as the first?
I think it's a common comment, probably the best compliment you can get, that your story should be the start of a series.

I had the same, and it is a well-known trap. For my first story, I had a very clear idea what I wanted; I knew every detail before I wrote it down. I did get good inspiration to add two additional chapters, and then I wanted even more.

My story, which was never supposed to be more than a stand-alone chapter, suddenly moved in directions I never anticipated, it took me more and more time to write new chapters, I lost readers (less and less views and votes, although the scores are okay) and now it is at a point that I think I should continue with a new part (at this moment, it has a very negative open ending, and I don't want to end it that way; you start loving your characters) but I'm wondering if it's worth the effort.

If you have a good idea how to continue, go on, but know what you're into.

Old Today, 04:39 AM   #5
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugheadJane View Post
Hello!

1) be careful you don't start write what you "think" readers want - always write what YOU want to write.
2) I tend to write stand-alone "Parts" with the same characters within an overall theme; that way I avoid the demands to "continue the story" and can come back to that series whenever I choose - sometimes I've written sequels in response to reader feedback, other times because I really like my own characters.
3) No, doesn't always have to be the same category.

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

Old Today, 05:35 AM   #6
JugheadJane
Virgin

Thatís really helpful, electricblue66. Thank you. Really valid points.