Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 08-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #1276
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

And now it's time for tea and a few thoughts & Prayers for those affected.

Anyone else want a cup ?

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 08-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #1277
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
According to our local weather service page, that 25 inches in 24 hours is 1.5 times the highest *annual* rainfall ever recorded here. If we were to get that kind of rainfall on our rugged and barren terrain, then the flash flooding would be devastating.

The GOES satellite makes it look like the heaviest rains have moved into Louisiana.
Yesterday afternoon, my rain gauge recorded twice the average monthly rain total for the whole month of August here and I've had at le4ast twice as much as that since. I have no idea as the rain gauge has ran over three different times.

Yeah, the storm center is moving south and east. As it does the heavier rain bands move farther east but the rain is still falling in Houston just at a lesser rate.

The next problem is what happens if it goes back offshore for a half day or so? That is the last forecast i saw and then it's supposed to turn north right across houston with an increased ability to draw more water in from the Gulf. It ain't over by a long shot.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 08-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #1278
sharingfantasies
Ratiocinator

Location: No longer with 14 million other people. In a cabin in the pines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
According to the Nation Weather Service, an estimated 14 billion gallons of water has fallen on Harris County in the last 24 hours. Holy Shit!

Measured rain totals run from 6-8 inches up to 20-25+ inches of rain over the last 24 hours. There are boat rescues going on all over the city. More streets and roads are flooded than passable. Even major freeways and highways are under water. And it is still raining. The mayor has put out a call to anyone with a jon boat to please come help move people out of flooded homes. We sent 16 boats from this area down that way earlier today.

There is no way to drive from one end of the city to another.
I can't fathom this much water. Is there even that much water in all of southern California?

Old 08-27-2017, 06:54 PM   #1279
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingfantasies View Post
I can't fathom this much water. Is there even that much water in all of southern California?
24 inches is more rain than I get locally in a whole YEAR.

Oggbashan's long list of stories
Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.

“The inimitable stories of Tong-King never have any real ending, and this one, being in his most elevated style, has even less end than most of them. But the whole narrative is permeated with the odour of joss-sticks and honourable high-mindedness, and the two characters are both of noble birth.”
― Ernest Bramah, Wallet of Kai Lung

Old 08-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #1280
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Yesterday afternoon, my rain gauge recorded twice the average monthly rain total for the whole month of August here and I've had at least twice as much as that since. I have no idea as the rain gauge has ran over three different times.
I'm surprised prescient marketers haven't pushed 36-inch Hurricane Rain Gages. Seems like a natural product for the Gulf and Atlantic coasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingfantasies View Post
Quiet a bit is piped in from the Colorado River, Owens Valley, and California Aqueducts. But eventually might be necessary to float-in icebergs.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #1281
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
Quiet a bit is piped in from the Colorado River, Owens Valley, and California Aqueducts. But eventually might be necessary to float-in icebergs.
That will probably happen for San Diego before it happens for LA.

And then the climate will warm and there won't be any icebergs.

My personal favorites are The Third Ring and Oscar's Place.
My most recent story is Pixie in the Rain.
Next up is "Her Bodyguard," a brother/sister tale for the Valentine's Day contest

Old 08-28-2017, 01:12 AM   #1282
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Evening folks,

Still raining here. Heavy one minute, light the next. That 36" rain gauge would be handy to have. There has been water in my shop. Not much, just enough to make sawdust mud. There is a drain under the sidewalk and it was plugged up with leaves and trash. Opened that up and solved the problem.

It is still raining in Houston over the same track as yesterday, last night, and today. It is not as hard but it is still enough to keep water levels up. Now to add to the problems, the inner city catch basins are getting full and some are having to make controlled releases. Also all the local rivers are on the rise and most are predicted to be several feet above historical levels by Tuesday afternoon.

Several levees along some of the creeks are in danger of topping out. Mandatory evacuations of a number of subdivisions has been ordered but most have no way out because of flooded streets. They are talking 6-8 feet of water possible in places that have never flooded.

When it rains, it pours.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 08-28-2017, 01:48 AM   #1283
HuckPilgrim
Literotica Guru

Good luck TxRad! We can send in some coffee by drone, if necessary.

http://huckpilgrim.wordpress.com

Old 08-28-2017, 04:36 AM   #1284
ishtat
Literotica Guru

Like Og I can't get my head around 20+ inches of water in a day. I have seen 4 inches in an hour but this is 5 times over in one day!

I travel to Houston a bit on business and wondered whether its very rapid development is a problem; a lot of concrete and roadways have replaced soak away ground in the last 20 + years,

The low level of fatalities so far is amazingly good.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #1285
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

Once or twice, we've had, say, 2 inches in much less than an hour; but then, praise the Lord, it stopped.

We got sunshine this morning. It's great !

Ah - Coffee

Handley Page

" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "

Last edited by Handley_Page : 08-28-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #1286
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Morning all,

Still raining but that doesn't stop the coffee. At least the temps are staying in the low to mid 70's instead of the mid 90's. Most of the heavy rain has moved to the east, which is good for Houston.

A lot of the freeways and feeder roads look like lakes this morning. Too much water and no place to go.

Bacon gravy and biscuits sounds good this morning.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 08-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #1287
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Bacon gravy and biscuits sounds good this morning.
Uh, that really *does* sound good.

My personal favorites are The Third Ring and Oscar's Place.
My most recent story is Pixie in the Rain.
Next up is "Her Bodyguard," a brother/sister tale for the Valentine's Day contest

Old 08-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #1288
voluptuary_manque
would-be omnigamist

I had a breakfast burrito (scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, ham and hot sauce rolled up in a tortilla). Yanno, a bear could work his way through a half dozen of those in a morning if he weren't careful.

My stories

Mr. Vanilla Straight Guy--Safe_Bet

Don’t know if I ever told you, but you were the first person I “met” on Lit. You invited me into Molly’s thread and made me feel at home. I really appreciated that. You also prolly know more about the “doings” of our family than just about anybody else on Lit. That’s cuz you care and are appreciated for being you.--posthumous message from Safe_Bet. And I still care and I still love her. Rest in the Light, Suzy.

You poor, deluded bear--glynndah

<div align=left><a href=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519ZReMcO1L._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-51,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg target=_blank>http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg</a></div>

Old 08-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #1289
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

Quote:
Originally Posted by voluptuary_manque View Post
I had a breakfast burrito (scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, ham and hot sauce rolled up in a tortilla). Yanno, a bear could work his way through a half dozen of those in a morning if he weren't careful.
Bear,
Anyone could.
HP

Handley Page

" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "

Old 08-28-2017, 09:05 PM   #1290
MagicaPractica
Dreamer

Quote:
It does sound divine. I'm on what constitutes, for me, the straight and narrow - three eggs over easy, a stalk of celery, a tablespoon shot of extra virgin olive oil, a half cup of OJ and a cup of coffee with cream.

Watching things in Houston. My bro is in the fourth ward. Last I heard, doing okay.
Playgrounder #426

Old 08-29-2017, 05:23 AM   #1291
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

There was a guy on our radio this morning who didn't rate visits by the 'only of high' and so on as they didn't do anything practical to alleviate the problems. He reckoned this was a one in a thousand years event.

Fingers crossed for the affected

Handley Page

" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "

Old 08-29-2017, 06:47 AM   #1292
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

When the Mall is flooded but you still need your coffee.....

- "Fields of Gold" (a romantic tearjerking tale of a guy, a girl and an AH64 Apache...)

Winner - 2017 Literotica April Fools Competition: "Fingerprints on my Heart"

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology

Old 08-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #1293
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Chloe, the only thing wrong with that picture is getting there. 85-90% of the roads and highways are closed in Houston.

It is still raining here at my house. But there is coffee and my house guest made blackberry pastries.

Yesterday they were showing 32-40 inches of water across Houston. Now they are forecasting another 12 inches today. It is a mess and not going to get any better for another couple of days. Shelters set up for 5k people already have twice that many people in them.

Fun, fun, fun.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 08-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #1294
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

Quote:
Chloe, the only thing wrong with that picture is getting there. 85-90% of the roads and highways are closed in Houston.

It is still raining here at my house. But there is coffee and my house guest made blackberry pastries.

Yesterday they were showing 32-40 inches of water across Houston. Now they are forecasting another 12 inches today. It is a mess and not going to get any better for another couple of days. Shelters set up for 5k people already have twice that many people in them.

Fun, fun, fun.
There was a wonderful picture in my paper this morning of a load of boats (small craft, inflatables, etc.) heading down the Interstate highway. That was what I'd call "surreal".

Fingers cross for the affected.

And now - Coffee.

Handley Page

" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "

Old 08-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #1295
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handley_Page View Post
There was a wonderful picture in my paper this morning of a load of boats (small craft, inflatables, etc.) heading down the Interstate highway. That was what I'd call "surreal".

Fingers cross for the affected.

And now - Coffee.
Definitely. I've got a couple of friends down there, they'd not flooded but the roof sprang a leak and all the neighbors were right there helping them get sheeting over the roof and sorting it out. Horrible disaster but so good to see everyone pulling together and helping each other. That's the way we should be.
- "Fields of Gold" (a romantic tearjerking tale of a guy, a girl and an AH64 Apache...)

Winner - 2017 Literotica April Fools Competition: "Fingerprints on my Heart"

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology

Old 08-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #1296
voluptuary_manque
would-be omnigamist

I remember the Northridge quake down in SoCal. We'd been told that in disaster the Authorities would rush to our aid. But when it hit, by the time the Authorities arrived, the community had things about 3/4 sorted out. The only thing left for the National Guard, et al. to do was go down deep into fallen buildings for the trapped. Most everyone else had already been pulled out. Maybe what the country really needs is a big natural disaster in Washington, DC . . .

My stories

Mr. Vanilla Straight Guy--Safe_Bet

Don’t know if I ever told you, but you were the first person I “met” on Lit. You invited me into Molly’s thread and made me feel at home. I really appreciated that. You also prolly know more about the “doings” of our family than just about anybody else on Lit. That’s cuz you care and are appreciated for being you.--posthumous message from Safe_Bet. And I still care and I still love her. Rest in the Light, Suzy.

You poor, deluded bear--glynndah

<div align=left><a href=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519ZReMcO1L._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-51,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg target=_blank>http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg</a></div>

Old 08-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #1297
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Three Trillion Gallons of water has fallen on Houston since this started. And it ain't over yet.

Still retrieving people out of flooded neighborhoods all over the city and the focus in moving to northern towns and where the holding lakes in the western part of town are releasing water. Now water is coming over the spillways. Every river, creek, and bayou is out of its banks and most if not all are over record levels.

The Brazos River is set to crest tomorrow but is already over levees in a number of areas. 130,000 people were order for a mandatory evacuation but had no way out of town or even out of the area.

Of the 16 boats we sent down, 14 are still in service. One motor was burnt out in water that was too shallow but flowing way too fast to shut the motor down. Another hit something and cracked the lower end and bent a stainless steel prop. We sent an extra dozen props with them. Half of those have been used. Roads between here and there are flooded so we can't resupply them.

More coffee is available.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 08-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #1298
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Record heat wave here in central California. Couple that with the occasional thunderstorm over our still-droughty forests, and we're in red-flag fire alert. Air is hot and smoky -- had to close up at 0830 with the temp at 85f and the atmosphere visibly brown -- I think from fires down around Yosemite, 60-odd miles south. Without AC we'd smother.

Not long ago were desert-like temps around Portland OR. We sat out a Palm Springs summer there a couple years back. Just recently were typhoons whacking Taiwan and the usual kilodeaths in Bangladesh flooding. Our planet does not like us.

Maybe I'm just bummed. Vision deteriorating again, more eye surgery very soon. I'm down to about 1/2 eye now and communicating here is difficult. I may be brief for the next few days. And I really don't want to be alert while everything is fuzzy. Skip the coffee. Whiskey in my cocoa, that's the trick.

OMFG! How much of USA coffee supply is normally shipped in via Houston? Besides fuel supplies interrupted, could we see coffee shortages? Will civilization collapse?

Old 08-29-2017, 03:40 PM   #1299
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

Quote:
I remember the Northridge quake down in SoCal. We'd been told that in disaster the Authorities would rush to our aid. But when it hit, by the time the Authorities arrived, the community had things about 3/4 sorted out. The only thing left for the National Guard, et al. to do was go down deep into fallen buildings for the trapped. Most everyone else had already been pulled out. Maybe what the country really needs is a big natural disaster in Washington, DC . . .
One quoted commentator on our domestic Radio said almost the same thing; "the authorities" apparently took their time in coming to help, and he sincerely hoped that this was not going to be another "authoritarian" cock-up.
Once upon a time it was 'the nearest military base' that helped our. Reductions in staffing and so on seems to have made that impossible these days. . .

Imagine the fun if this problem was in Washington - right in the political heartland.

Quote:
Three Trillion Gallons of water has fallen on Houston since this started. And it ain't over yet.

Still retrieving people out of flooded neighborhoods all over the city and the focus in moving to northern towns and where the holding lakes in the western part of town are releasing water. Now water is coming over the spillways. Every river, creek, and bayou is out of its banks and most if not all are over record levels.
Of the 16 boats we sent down, 14 are still in service. One motor was burnt out in water that was too shallow but flowing way too fast to shut the motor down. Another hit something and cracked the lower end and bent a stainless steel prop. We sent an extra dozen props with them. Half of those have been used. Roads between here and there are flooded so we can't resupply them.

More coffee is available.
Personally, I find it difficult to imagine a trillion of anything but your quoted figure could probably fill Lake Coniston in one afternoon (if I can convert the gibberish on Wiki).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
Record heat wave here in central California. Couple that with the occasional thunderstorm over our still-droughty forests, and we're in red-flag fire alert. Air is hot and smoky -- had to close up at 0830 with the temp at 85f and the atmosphere visibly brown -- I think from fires down around Yosemite, 60-odd miles south. Without AC we'd smother.

Not long ago were desert-like temps around Portland OR. We sat out a Palm Springs summer there a couple years back. Just recently were typhoons whacking Taiwan and the usual kilodeaths in Bangladesh flooding. Our planet does not like us.

Maybe I'm just bummed. Vision deteriorating again, more eye surgery very soon. I'm down to about 1/2 eye now and communicating here is difficult. I may be brief for the next few days. And I really don't want to be alert while everything is fuzzy. Skip the coffee. Whiskey in my cocoa, that's the trick.

OMFG! How much of USA coffee supply is normally shipped in via Houston? Besides fuel supplies interrupted, could we see coffee shortages? Will civilization collapse?
I though coffee came via Seatle or similar.
Have you considered a "Text - to - speech" thing on your computer.
I do know there is a "reverse process" thing.

And is there still a climate-denier in the house ?

Handley Page

" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "

Old 08-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #1300
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

I've been assured that coffee does have precedence over gasoline.

Webster, Tx, was just posted AT 1pm with 48 inches of rain since Friday night. Dayton, Tx, shouldn't be far behind as they had 40 inches yesterday afternoon. The rest of Houston only has 32-35 inches of rain.

All Stories By TxRad

Last edited by TxRad : 08-29-2017 at 03:47 PM.