It's Complicated... (Closed for NDIaC & Trucken)

NDIaC

Experienced
Joined
Jun 3, 2016
Posts
79
It's Complicated... (Open and looking)

A few years ago.
New York City.


It was 9 O'clock and Jackie Montoya was still at work. There was nothing pressing or urgent that she had to stay late but the workaholic in her just wouldn't let up. Not tonight, not when it would be so easy to fall back into those lazy patterns and end up regretting it all over. Even as Jackie finished up a few designs she been working on and approving several others from her subordinates, her mind was as far away from work as possible. Being the Art Director of Androgyne, an up and coming fashion design company (though the name sounded more like some creepy Big Pharma company from a sci-fi movie) meant that Jackie had to put in long hours almost every day, typically in some far flung part of the world. Traveling and seeing the world was nice, especially on the company dime but it also didn't leave much room for just about anything else in her life. This week she had ended up in New York City, laying claim to their brand new office there. It was part of her duties to see that everything went according to schedule. While she had the title of Art Director, Jackie was much more than that. She liked to refer to herself as the company 'Cleaner', taking care of other people's messes, making it appear as if nothing had happened at all and disposing of the evident, person and all. She had made a name for herself by quickly climbing up the ranks in the company, eagerly taking on any kind of job that was needed. Some people felt uncomfortable in disciplining their employees, especially when they worked in close quarters and came to think of them as friends. Jackie never had that problem; she all too easily separated her personal self from her professional self. People in the industry rightly feared her, if she showed up it typically meant the shit had hit the fan and she was there to clean it up. More than once she sent someone packing in a wretch state of tears and sobs. She told herself it didn't faze her, though that was pretty far from the truth. Jackie was just good at disconnecting herself when needed. It served her well in her career, though it was one of the unfortunate few things that bled out into her social and personal life. Friends were few and far between, Jackie could easily count on her fingers her closest friends. Family was non-existent, but lovers? That was an entirely different story.

That was just the reason that Jackie worked as hard as she did now, the one thing that could keep her thoughts focused and away from the emotional baggage she had left behind in Seattle. Or so she thought, it had always worked before but tonight, no dice. She kept looking at her phone, in short intervals of work and staring at the screen of her smart phone with the fluffy kitten as the background picture. It was the messages tab that kept drawing her attention, every time her heart beat a little faster until it dropped down into her stomach when she saw no numbers in the corner. No texts, no replies, nothing. She finally broke down and gave up on trying to focus on her work and snatched up the phone in both hands. Gingerly she leaned back in her leather office chair and tapped repeatedly on the screen. She pulled up the Messages tab and thumbed through her recent conversations. The top most ones were filled with names like Rae, Tess, and Kat, while at the bottom was one name that hadn't moved in weeks. Akia. The name made her bite her bottom lip as the churning sensation whirled up inside her gut, making her anxious, hopeful and angry all at the same time. She pulled the conversation up, past texts the two had traded. She stared more at the date than the actual words, it was coming up on week 3 and Jackie hadn't heard any response back. She stared long and hard at the screen, her green eyes lingering over the surface but not really seeing anything. So drawn into the conflict raging in her mind that Jackie jumped a foot into the air when her phone vibrated and chimed loudly in her hand. Her free hand fell to her chest as she took a sharp breath, half laughing half sighing as she tried to compose herself. On the screen flashed the name 'Rae S.' along with the picture of a girl with short black hair, light green eyes and wearing a sarcastic smirk upon her full lips. A certain sense of guilty disappointment resonated in her when she realized it was Rae and not a specific someone else. Jackie hesitated for only a moment or two before she pressed her thumb to the green phone icon and brought the phone to her ear.

“Hey,” Jackie said in her best causal voice, even if it quivered just a bit at the end. If the person on the other end of the line noticed, she didn't mention it. Instead there was a loud guffaw, followed by some muffled barking before the husky voice on the other end said, “Facetime me, bitch.”

Jackie sighed but didn't resist. She drew the phone away from her ear and pressed the button that brought up the screen, being instantly greeted by the very same face that was in the profile picture. Rae Savage stared back at Jackie with only a hint of that smirk and far less radiance and intensity in her green eyes than before. She looked tired but to Jackie seeing that face made her heart ten times lighter. The weariness also indicated something else that made Jack all too happy to see.

“Why did you want me to look at you when you look like a steaming hot pile of shit?” Jackie said as her smile grew her nose scrunching up as she made the playful face she always did when teasing Rae. The uncouth girl always brought out the worst in Jackie, foul language, copious amounts of drinking and most importantly sex that would blow your mind straight out the back of your head. Rae was an addicting drug in her own right, one that Jackie just couldn't resist.

“You know what?” Rae said as her brows furrowed in annoyance. “You can go fuck yerself yah stuck up cunt.”

“I miss you too. How's Tool and Doolie?” Jackie asked without flinching. She had grown a thick skin when it involved Rae's harsh words. It was when she wasn't cussing like a sailor that Jackie had to worry.

“Annoying as ever. Fuckhead ate my sock. Just one, the left one. Pretty sure he took it right off my foot too. It was there when I passed out,” Rae said all too seriously, the phone suddenly jostling as a furry head with pointy ears shoved itself into view. Rae grimaced but plopped a hand onto the head of the German shepherd and scritched soundly, much to the dog's delight.

“Oh I'm sure that he did...Heya baby!” Jackie's smile widened into a delighted grin at the sight of her beloved dog, Tool. The name came quickly when Jackie got him as a puppy, since most people said the phrase 'he's not the sharpest tool in the shed' a lot around him. Tool was rather dumb, but in an adorable way. He did have a wicked habit of chewing up most things left on the floor, something that Rae experienced firsthand. Tool sniffed at the phone loudly, only to let out a loud bark at the sound and sight of a diminutive Jackie head smiling broadly.

“Be a good boy for Rae, huh? If she doesn't take her boots off at the front door then you have my permission to piss in them,” Jackie said with a smug little look, which only made Rae glower even more. She shoved the dog aside, bringing the phone up and away from him as she pushed off the couch. A quick view of the stark white living room behind her spun into view briefly as Rae trekked through Jackie's apartment. She often watched her dogs and house sat while Jackie was away on business. It kept the dogs happy, even if Rae stated on multiple accounts she hated them both, Jackie knew she'd blow a gasket if she asked anyone else to watch them. And if was always nice to know that Rae was in a safe place. Jackie always worried about the rough and tumble girl, it was hard to count how many arguments they had over her lifestyle choices, the drug abuse, and the needless danger she constantly put herself in. Lately though Rae had started to turn herself around, though Jackie couldn't honestly claim that it was her doing. That thought brought back the pit in her stomach, though Rae was quick to distract her before her mind traveled too far down that rabbit hole.

“I'm gonna piss in her house slippers,” She shot back, only to flash the phone in the direction tiny brown and black Pomeranian that sat soundly asleep in her comfy doggy bed. Doolie was the almost the complete opposite of Tool, smart, quiet yet just as adorably and cuddly. “Fuckhead number two is being a lazy fuck. It took me ten minutes to get her on that god damn leash.”

“Did you give her a treat first?” Jackie asked knowingly. Rae just snorted and shrugged with a sigh. She didn't have to answer, Jackie already knew. Instead of waiting for Rae to make up an answer, or an insult (which was more likely) Jackie just pressed on with the conversation and kept it flowing.

“So what's up for tonight?” She asked, watching Rae idly jostle the phone as she fiddled with something just out of reach of the camera. Rae tried her best to still look offended, but Jackie knew her better than that.

“Not much,” Rae finally answered with a dramatic sigh, the camera shuddering and rolling as she promptly flopped onto her back on Jackie's white leather couch and held the phone up above her. “Tess is comin' over with a pizza. I think Liv and Kat or comin' too.” She finished it off with a noncommittal shrug which was par for the course for Rae. She was so evasive sometimes especially when things started to get personal. Rae had to keep up her bad ass biker girl doesn't give a fuck about anything or anyone image, of course, even though Jackie knew her far better than that rough and tumble portrait she painted herself as. By now Jackie knew better than to press Rae's buttons, which were big and glowed fucking red with the words 'press me' printed on them in bold and all in uppercase.

“Just don't spill anything on the couch or the carpet...and wash the sheets if you sleep in the bed. Or just take a shower before you lay down. That's not too hard is it?” Jackie steered it in another direction, which made Rae glower all the more.

“Yah know, I do shower. I just naturally look like a greaser,” She shot back with a tiny smirk. Jackie just laughed, a little lilting sound from the back of her throat before she shook her head and leaned back in the chair.

“You don't have to. If you'd just let me-” Jackie started in on Rae's appearance and wardrobe. To go along with her hardcore image Rae had to dress the part, Jackie just wished she'd learn to shower more than twice a week. The two were on complete opposite sides of the spectrum when it came to clothing, style and hygiene. Rae wasn't exactly a foul smelling grease ball, but if she just applied some effort to her appearance...

Jackie had her little tirade cut short as the door to her office opened. She heard the quick rapping of the knock but didn't have a chance to react to it before the door was open and she was face to face with Hannah. The tall brunette with stunning features and long wavy hair to die for was one of the fashion designers at Androgyne's office in New York. She was loud, demanding, condescending and damn good at her job. It wasn't surprising that the two of them saw eye to eye on a great many things, even if Hannah towered over her.

“Oh...Heya Hannah. What are you still doing here?” Jackie quickly pressed the pause button on her phone before Rae had a chance to react, she always did love spewing off something awkward, insulting or just plain weird when she knew Jackie's co-workers around. It was pretty childish, but that was Rae in a nutshell. She really was lucky under that coat of grease; grim and leather she was beautiful.

“I could say the same for you, Boss,” Hannah said the title with liberal amounts of sarcasm; it practically dribbled from the corners of her mouth when she talked. Most people might have found it offensive or perhaps annoying, but Jackie knew the woman well enough to know it was just how she was, much like with Rae she just let it roll over her.

“Just finishing up looking over some designs. I got a plan back to Seattle in the morning so I decided to get as much done as I could before then,” Jackie responded, though it didn't seem like Hannah was buying it. She visibly frowned at Jackie, her head slowly shaking as she openly disapproved of every word that she spoke.

“No. That's not gonna do. It's Friday night, Jackie. You're in New York City for fuck's sake. A few of us are going down to this new club in a few. You should tag along. It'll be fun, trust me. I even wrangled Wyatt of all people into coming. So you really have no excuse,” Hannah shot from the hip, blasting through any kind of rebuttal Jackie might have had to blow her off. She was left open and defenseless, that much was clearly painted upon her face.

“I...uh...heh...Wyatt, huh?” Jackie managed to get out, a gracious blush lightly kissing her cheeks. Wyatt was one of the IT guys in the office. He was a dork, but a cute one. The type that looked like a model wearing horn rimmed glasses pretending to be a dork. But Jackie had enough conversations with him to know he was one through and through. While she did tried to hide it, Jackie was a little bit (a lot actually) of a dork herself. She'd grown up reading fantasy novels and playing D&D in basements dwellings as dank as any dungeon. It was a part of her she hid at all costs, something she would vehemently deny but just one look at her ebook account would prove without a doubt she was. She had just a tiny little crush on Wyatt, which Hannah knew about and was presently using such forbidden knowledge to her own gain. What gain was that? Match making of course, everyone had one of those annoying friends that loved to hook everybody up. Add annoying to the list of Hannah's resplendent qualities.

“Mmmhmm. C'mon short stuff. First round is on me,” Hannah said with a smile, standing there at the threshold of Jackie's office without any hint of leaving anytime soon. Jack fidgeted in her chair, phone still in hand and Rae's face occasionally catching her attention.

“Heh. I really should get this stuff taken care of first,” Jackie started and watched as the frown once more creased Hannah's face. “But, I should be able to make it. Just text me the address and I'll catch up. Alright?”

Jackie offered what she thought was the best way to get out of it. As much as she'd like to catch Wyatt in a social situation, she actually liked the whole thing better as just a little fantasy in her head, one she could think about from time to time. It was always handy to have one of those, especially in a time like this.

“Hmph. Fine. But if you don't show up know this, Jacqueline Montoya. I will hunt you down and I will kill you,” Hannah said with no hint of playfulness, though Jackie still smiled up at her and nodded.

“Deal.” She said sweetly, waiting until Hannah finally left and her office door was closed tightly to bring Rae back from the unannounced intermission.

“Sorry,” Jackie instantly apologized. “A co-worker came barging in.”

“I see how it is. What did they want?” Rae asked with a yawn, switching arms to keep them from going numb. She was so quick to delve into Jackie's personal affairs, it was so hypocritical but Jackie knew better than to press that button. Such a big button.

“Oh, not much. Just seeing what I was doing tonight,” Jackie played it off with a shrug, but Rae had already sunk her claws in without Jackie even realizing it.

“And just what are you doin'? If you tell me it's readin' one of yer stupid retard books about fairies and elves I'm gonna rage vomit all over yer dogs,” Rae pushed up from the couch, her short black hair remaining splayed out in that lovely bedhead fashion. Jackie made a short lived face, though when she didn't instantly retort it set Rae off and there was no way of stopping her.

“Jack. I swear to Gebus, Jack! Yer in New Fucking York Fucking City!” Rae bellowed so loud Tool barked in the background.

“I think one fuck was enough to get your point across-” Jackie started, though her sarcasm was lost on the mid-rant Rae.

“You gotta get yer tight little ass out there and lap up as much Grade A New York poon as you can handle! It's fuckin' Friday night. C'mon, dude!” Rae's cheeks were flushed and Jackie saw the way the phone shook in her grasp, a slight tremble. Rae was living vicariously through Jackie at that moment, had it been a few months prior Jackie wouldn't have even been having this conversation. Rae would have been out for several hours now, slamming back the hard stuff, snorting line after line and doing things that Jackie would never dream of doing. She lived hard and partied hard, which made her dangerous and intriguing. Jackie had been drawn to that bad girl image all too easily, wrapped up in her and around her little finger. But Rae just didn't know when to quit, it took losing almost everything, including her life to get her to back down from the edge.

Now, a sober Rae was always looking for another fix, if she couldn't do those wild and crazy things herself she was always goading someone else into it. It wasn't always a negative thing; Rae had learned to focus that unspent energy into fitness, running, swimming, even learning how to properly fight. While Jackie liked the fitness part, the whole MMA thing was never her bag, but she would never tell Rae to back down from something that kept her focused and above all sober.

“I know. But...” Jackie said after a pause that was far too long for Rae's tastes. Rae huffed and looked like she was about to straggle the phone.

“Don't you dare use that as an excuse! None of us have heard from her in months. And you know what? Fuck her. If she gave one little shit about any of us she'd at least send a text or somethin'. Fuck her.” Rae violently expelled her rage in word form, the image of rage vomit crossing through Jackie's imagination the entire time. She knew what Rae was saying to be truth, even if Rae didn't know the whole story.

“Yeah, I know. But still,” Jackie pressed on even if her resolve was wavering.

“No but still. Who cares about one flighty cunt? You know how many drop dead gorgeous girls with low self esteem are gonna out tonight? You’ll practically be drownin' in pussy, dude. And besides...Yah gotta send me some selfies. Preferably with some tiddies or somethin'”
“...Wait. What?” Jackie blinked, suddenly through off the melancholy path her mind had been leading her down.

“You heard me. Though is that really a selfie? Do they got a word for sex selfies? Sexfies? Sextises?” Rae hummed lightly, pursing her lips as she gave the question a good hard think. Jackie just scoffed and then laughed. Her smile broke out over her face and for the moment she forgot about everything that was holding her back.

“Fuckin' A, yer so stupid,” Jackie said in a loving tone. Rae chortled as well and sprouted a gluttonous grin, enjoying it all too much when Jackie let down her pretentious walls.

“I might be but yer fuckin' stuck with me. Now piss off. I want at least a one sextise of some high quality bewbage. Real or fake, I'm not picky. And they can't be yers!” Rae added just as Jackie's lips were parting to insert the quip. She snapped her mouth closed sharply with a loud click of her teeth, a sweet smile drifting across her lips as she offered a light shrug.
“Not making any promises,” She added just as a loud knock was heard from Rae’s side.

“That’s my date. Lookit, just try to have fun? Take the stick out of yer ass for one night,” Rae said, adding the last bit hurriedly before she blew Jackie a kiss and tossed her phone down. Jackie didn’t have any time to respond, instead she watched as the phone tumbled onto the couch giving her a magnificent view of her ceiling fan. The commotion of footsteps, mumbling and a door swinging open soon followed, in her hurry Rae hadn’t bothered to end the call. Jackie just sighed lightly, her smile remaining though at a tremendously version.
“Right,” She said to herself, tapping the screen and ending the call. She sat staring at her phone for several more moments before she navigated to her texts and found one from Hannah. It had the address to the club along with a request. In no uncertain terms Hannah demanded that Jackie dress lowkey, preferably with leather. She couldn’t help but wonder just what she had gotten herself into.


Jackie returned to her hotel room to change clothes for the evening, taking in account Hannah’s words as she picked out just what to wear. The leather part was easy enough, she had a leather jacket that would do the trick, but as for the lowkey part, it had her stuck for far too long. She wanted to ask just what she considered lowkey, since Jackie considered her own still practical and tasteful with a decidedly tomboy lean to it. Slacks and button down shirts ruled her wardrobe. Ultimately Jackie decided upon black jeans, a v-neck black T-shirt and a pair of purple Chucks for some color. All in all it was a simple outfit, yet crisp and clean per Jackie’s tastes. She was fastidious with a captain F, bordering on obsessive compulsive. Jackie couldn’t stand dirt, grim, and especially wrinkles. Everything had to be perfect, appearances were everything after all. She took a few moments in front of the mirror preening, mostly making sure that her hair was stylishly tasseled and swept to the right in a tidily and haphazardly cascade of platinum blonde locks. Soon after she found herself in a cab heading into the heart of the club scene in the city. If only she knew what she would find, she’d probably turn right back around and finish her latest novel.

A half an hour later Jackie pulled up to the curb of the club with the look of a deer caught in the headlights. She stared blankly at the gaudy neon sign that flashed the name of the club, ‘The Chernobyl Tearoom’, complete with a teacup that looked like one of those giant smokestacks at a nuclear power plant. She couldn’t help but instantly think of Springfield at the sight, even as her brain was trying to register just where in the fuck she was. The people milling up and down the street looked a little rougher than she’d like. Since when did muttonchops come back into style? She stared so long that the driver actually asked if she was getting out, which startled her and snapped her out of her musing.

“Oh. Right. Sorry. Thanks,” Jackie was quick to apologize, quick to thank and even quicker with the cash. She handed the driver the fare and a sizable tip as well without even thinking. All too quickly her shoes were hitting the concrete and she was staring up at the sign like some dumbstruck tourist. It took her a few moments to recover, though she still had the knot in the pit of her stomach to contend with. At least that could be fixed with a bit (a lot) of alcohol.

“Gird yer loins,” She muttered to herself with a sigh as she set off towards the door of the establishment, projecting an air of confidence that masked the inner gnawing sense of doubt that twisted in her gut. Jackie was pretty good at that, her face an impassive mask of poise, her movements swift and graceful, which just made her look all the more fetching and cool.

It took longer than she anticipated to get in, the line was substantial but when she finally got to the front of the line and flashed her self-assured smile she got right in. As she passed the front entrance she saw the signs plastered all over the walls, ‘Ladies drink free’ and ‘2 for 1 Pitchers of beer’. There were also a few signs denoting that tonight was ‘Lemmy Kilmister tribute night’. She had no idea who Lemmy Kilmister was; the first thing that came to mind was the old video game Lemmings. She was pretty sure this Lemmy had nothing to do with that, but at least she got a smile out of remembering how she’d explode a few of those Lemming’s and watch the rest walk right through the gaping hole to their deaths. Good times.

Jackie’s first stop was to the bar, where she promptly ordered a rum and coke on the rocks. She insisted upon paying for her drink and thankfully the bartender didn’t put up much of a fight about. The last thing she wanted to start was a fight about just how god damn sexist that was in a crowd of people who looked like extras from a B-movie biker flick. After a few gulps and the familiar warming tingle in her stomach Jackie set out to find Hannah and the rest. She wasn’t short by any means, pretty average in height but it still felt like she was wading through a sea of giants in leather. It was loud, smoky and claustrophobic; Jackie was starting to doubt if this was worth the effort.
 
Last edited:
The field of battle was shrouded in the gray of a sinking sky; clouds hung between the trees, heavy and freezing. Refusing his body the right to shiver for warmth, Vaen clenched his jaw and deeply inhaled the bitter cold. He placed his hands on his hips and pushed back his shoulders. For a moment he simply stared forward, as if his steely blue eyes could exactly discern the location of their enemy despite the opaqueness of the choking mist.

He turned to face his party. “Is everyone ready?”

Nods were given in response, with only one member verbally acknowledging the question. “Indeed. Let us vanquish this foe!” The speaker gave a smile as she raised her hands before her chest, cupping her palms towards each other though not allowing them to touch. “May Renthenia bestow us Her favor,” she spoke as she cast her arms outwards. Pillars of light burst up from the ground, surrounding each party member in a cylindrical fashion, runic inscriptions within only faintly perceived. The luminescence dissipated once reaching the shoulders of the respective targets.

Vaen rolled his eyes and a few party members chuckled. The verbal component of Grey’s spell was not necessary, and everyone knew it, but of course the practitioner of holy arts insisted on theatrics. Vaen had tried to reason with the woman on several occasions – to no avail – and now it remained as a mostly uncontested annoyance...or a source of amusement, depending on the perspective. “Don’t encourage her,” the warrior chided.

“I’m inclined to remain in the priestess’ favor,” offered a woman in half plate. “And Renthenia’s,” she added with a smile towards Grey.

“No. We are not role-playing right now.” He reached a hand over his shoulder, taking a hold of his shield while his other brandished a freshly drawn long knife. Granted, most tanks used a sword. But viiren, the smallest of the races in Therandane, were...well, simply too slight to equip such comparatively monstrous weapons. “Alex, you should know better. We have a dragon to fight.”

The honey haired woman shifted her gaze to Vaen, the sweep between him and the priestess being smoothly level for their likeness of race; Alexandria, meanwhile, stood approximately twice their height, requiring quite the inclination of her neck to look either one in the face. “What is this role-play you speak of?” she asked with brows drawn together in seemingly genuine confusion.

Vaen frowned. “Seriously?”

“Come on, guys,” spoke up another. The man took several steps forward, towering the viiren more so than the armored woman. He was of olive skin and dark hair with the distinguishing pointed ears of a scient. “This is our first attempt and we need to take it seriously. If we can down him, server first is ours. Otherwise...I’m fairly certain the honor will go to the Order of the Five.”

“Oh, Raab. Don’t start.” Alex placed a hand on her hip as a frown tugged at the corners of her lips.

Server first,” he repeated definitively.

While this caused for the blonde woman to groan it had the opposite effect on the group’s leader. Vaen smiled and dropped his visor with his sword hand. “Let’s do this!” He held up his shield and actively wielded his blade. “We good to go?”

The group looked among themselves. No one seemed to have any objection but neither did any of them feel the need to call out their readiness.

“One shot! Come on, guys! We’re so close to gaining access to the King’s Gate – we have to do this!” rallied Raab. He drew his bow and fetched an arrow from his quiver, nocking the projectile in a single fluid motion. “Yequitzir is going down!”

Alex drew her swords with less vigor than the scient’s battle cry had encouraged. Still, she unsheathed her dual swords and held the blades at ready, giving Raab only a cursory glance before turning her attention to the main tank.

“Standard game plan. If adds pop, Alex will grab them. Burn the bastards down.”

“And watch out for red marks on the ground,” a hooded figure added dryly. She was almost completely obscured beneath a hooded crimson robe, with only the tip of her nose and mouth emerging from the shadow that was cast upon her face. Still, it was obvious she was looking directly at the last member of their party as she spoke.

“Fuck you,” the rogue responded in a tone that assured the mage had hit a button.

“I’m just saying. When the ground glows red, it means that something bad is going to –“

“That’s enough, Alyse,” Vaen cut in abruptly. The woman’s formerly neutral expression shifted to amusement, as if she had won some prize for landing a stab. “The two of you are… You know what? Now isn’t the time. We’ll talk about this more later, but for now: let’s all pretend to be adults on the same team, okay?”

“Of course,” Alyse agreed smoothly. She and the rest of the party turned their attention to the rogue. “What do you say, Olim?” the mage continued sweetly, as if she hadn’t been the one attempting to start a fight.

Olim frowned. His emerald gaze landed resentfully upon his cloaked companion, her stupid smile and her worse still aura of victory. The bitch found entirely too much enjoyment in embarrassing him, making him feel like a jackass when –

The rogue stopped himself. It wasn’t worth it. And so his sight shifted to his guild leader, to whom he nodded as he drew a set of daggers. “We’re good.” The grip of his hands tightened as he shifted the position of his weapons, causing for a dull yellow glow to emit from them.

Vaen returned the nod. “Excellent. We’re all set then?” A glance about the party ensured that everyone was equipped, though again no one gave a direct indication of their agreement.

Olim took a steady breath and focused his attention forward, to the fog which he couldn’t see a damned thing through. And so it wasn’t but moments before his attention drifted to his peripheral vision, to Alyse watching him with a continually smug grin upon her lips. He looked at her directly: she distinctly mouthed the words “you suck”, and…well. The blind rage inspired in him many things but the only reasonable response he could think of was to kick a conveniently placed rock at her.

“Ow!” The pebble struck the woman in the shin, hard enough for the crack to be heard by all. Alyse jumped back, as if she could avoid further damage from a tactical retreat. Meanwhile, accusing eyes were being placed upon the rogue when --

A deafening howl, the pitch of it somehow attuned to the frost, caused each player a stab of pain. The fog itself was crystallizing and the shock of the wail burst the cluster of shards apart, burying frozen daggers into the players’ flesh. As of the moment no blood was drawn; each strike caused for a flash of subdued light to appear as a second skin, an indication of damage absorption.

Vaen spun on his heel and charged beyond the party’s range of sight, his form disappearing in the matter of a dozen steps.

“Good pull, Olim,” Alyse spat as she took to a cautious jog.

Grey had spurred to a run just moments after Vaen, placing herself well outside of the right flank of Yequitzir as the tank turned him towards the back wall. As soon as her feet stopped moving she began to cast.

The remainder of the party was filtering into sight; Raab veered off to the dragon’s left side, a sprint carrying him quickly to his position. Olim and Alex had also taken to a run forward, though theirs had carried them directly to Yequitzir’s tail. It wasn’t that they had been careless, really; wilhel vision was shoddy compared to viiren or scient and so they did not see Yequitzir until it was that they were upon him.

“Watch out!” Alex warned as the dragon’s tail pulled to one side. She jumped back; both of her blades rising above her head to balance the maneuver, and the lash of the cerulean scaled tail just barely missed her.

Olim, meanwhile, had found distraction in Alexandria’s sudden yell. For less than a second he looked towards her, saw what it was she was screaming about, tried to evade the oncoming whip – but the moment’s hesitation doomed him to be struck in the stomach. It wasn’t until it hit him that he realized the tail was tipped by a barbed wrecking ball. Air smashed from his lungs, Olim expelled a noise somewhere between a grunt and a cry. A burst of blood soared from his mouth; as he flew back a crimson trail arched gracefully to mark the flight of his fall. His back struck the ground, hard, and the noise he made now was of sheer agony. His daggers had at some point escaped his grasp; he was only faintly aware of the clattering noise of their descent proceeding his own.

Alyse came within range of sight as Alexandria had called her warning, witnessed the brutal consequences of taking a hit from Yequitzir’s tail. An aura of light flickered and faded as Renthenia’s Blessing left the target. The yellow glow of Olim’s unequipped daggers dissipated, as well: not to mention the pour of blood from the corner of the man’s mouth as he lay on his back. As if that weren’t enough it seemed that Yequitzir intended to monopolize on the situation – the fearsome dragon loosed another terrible howl. The piercing of the frozen shards caused Olim to call out in pain, his lack of divine protections allowing the daggers to draw blood from his pierce his flesh.

The mage rushed forward, her eyes searching for Grey. The viiren was facing the scene, her eyes closed and wisps of light surrounding her form. The streaks were of random intensity and speed, creating a dance of shadows upon the caster. In the time it took for the healing spell to go off Alyse gathered Olim’s daggers and approached him. He was kneeling, climbing to his feet despite his near-death damage. A burst of light radiated from him as he stood erect. The stains of battle did not leave him but the effect of full health was nevertheless obvious.

His eyes fell on the offering of his weapons, his sight trailing briefly to Alyse’s face. His inability to read her expression made him assume the worst: she thought he was a fool – she had said as much enough times in the past, to be certain. The wilhel snatched his daggers from her with narrowed eyes before turning about-face. He took off at a sprint and carefully skirted to the dragon’s flank.

The robed woman proceeded to place herself nearer to Grey, relative to the dragon’s side, while keeping at least ten meters away from all allies. It was a good default positioning until the time that some mechanic or other required grouping. As the ranged dps moved she clenched her fists, an orange glow emanating from the creases of her gathered hands; it wasn’t until several unintelligible utterances later that her fingers burst away from her palms, tongues of flame springing in their wake. Once still, the woman fostered the fire, whispered in what could only be compared to demonic tongues. Her hands met on her right side, their closeness allowing the flames to separate from her skin and meld together into a tumultuous orb. Slowly, her touch pulled apart, expanding the sphere.

“Fuck!” Vaen cursed. Yequitzir’s claws slammed into and scraped his shield. The monster howled angrily, causing another stab of the frozen fog, before it followed up with a swipe. “Heals?!” he called.

Grey managed to scowl without opening her eyes or disrupting her spell but she resented the tank for a moment. The heal popped in less than a second after he’d finished whining. “You know I’m on it!” she called defensively. “You’re not the only one taking damage!”

“Everyone else stop taking damage! God damn!” The male viiren thrust his long knife forward, catching the dragon’s front paw as it sought to slash against him. A high pitched shriek filled the chamber.

...Followed by the appearance of a mass of whelps.

Unlike many other MMOs, in this one it was difficult to exactly discern adversary triggers. Very few seemed to have specific abilities at damage thresholds. Such as, say, summoning whelps at 99.9% health…as could have been but wasn’t the case here. Such predictable measures were a thing of the past. Advances in artificial intelligence at the hands of Legendary Inc. made certain that no boss encounter, or even average mob, would allow for some predetermined dance to defeat them. They reacted as a fully competent player. But while it is all very interesting, and the depths of which may be later explored, for the time our heroes had not the want to reflect on the intelligence of what now faced them.

Alex moved to intercept the incoming adds. Once within range of the first wave she slashed a single blade in a horizontal arcing motion, a trace of light appearing in the wake of the steel. The bend of luminance traveled forward, seemed to soak into and pass through the young dragons. They gave a shrill cry and turned their attention to the blade dancer. A few took to flight, others charged towards her legs.

Even with all damage focused upon the whelps it was nearly five minutes before they were burned down. Meanwhile, Grey’s mana supply had been considerably diminished, despite her efficiency as a healer and Alex’s abilities as an evasive off-tank.

Just as the players reorganized their combative efforts upon Yequitzir the dragon gave another piercing shriek, summoning a fresh wave of whelps.

“You’ve got to be kidding me…” Alex muttered. With a heavy sigh she moved to intercept.

Grey frowned. It was impossible to know how many waves there would be, or how often they’d be summoned. One thing that was certain, though, was that her mana pool wouldn’t hold out for much more of this extra mobs fuckery business. She bit her lip and pulled back on the heals, relying as much as possible on HOTs.

“Too close!” Vaen called after several minutes. “A crit and that would’ve been a wipe, Grey.”

The healer growled. “I’m going to run out of mana at this rate,” she called back defensively. “I’m not dropping any overheal.”

“…Do whatever you think you need to do. Just don’t let me die.”

“Yeah, that’s the plan,” Grey responded drily.

Raab surveyed the situation. Even with the healer’s conservation efforts…they were clearly fucked. He watched the rate at which Vaen and Alex were taking damage, made a quick assumption on how much mana was being used by the healer to keep them both up. They’d have…maybe north of five minutes? It was going to take roughly half of that time to finish clearing the whelps.

…And then what if another wave was immediately called?

“Disengage, Alex!” Raab drew back an arrow, the projectile weapon taking on a bright white glow.

The blade dancer spared him a glance. Her expression conveyed that she was both confused and likely to not obey the order.

“I’m going to kite,” the ranger explained in a I-don’t-have-time-to-explain tone.

Alex scoffed.

“Do it! Do it now!” Vaen commanded. “Grey, focus heals on me!”

Just as Raab released his arrow, the projectile loosed towards the heavens, Alex swept the tips of her blades against the ground and gracefully tumbled backwards. The maneuver was enough to cause the whelps to drop hate, who very shortly thereafter were suitably pissed off at the ranger’s rain of arrows.

Raab turned and ran while Olim and Alyse shifted their focus to the main boss. The scient would be on his own now, leading the mass of whelps on a chase, utilizing his sprint and limited snare traps to keep a few steps ahead of being ripped apart by the frenzied death machines.

Roughly half an hour later - during which time Raab ran perpetual wide circles, remaining obscured from the party through the fog, only occasionally emerging to cry for Alyse to drop an AOE slow -Yequitzir had been vanquished. It hadn’t been a pretty fight for the team…and towards the end of it an eruption of a bickering and blaming broke out between the members, causing for several more-than-necessary near-death experiences. As intense (an amusing) as the re-telling of those arguments here would be, we will move on to what most would consider reality.

==========

Server Only!” a dark haired woman called happily. “Can you believe it?”

“We are pretty bad-ass,” responded one of her companions. The man was tall, enough so that it was noticeable even as he was seated. “All thanks to you, Ari.”

“Pfft!” the rebuttal – if it could in fact be considered as such – was meant to be humble. “Way I see it, all I did was run in circles whilst failing to contribute to the dps charts.”

“Don’t let Alyse hear you say that,” spoke a blonde man drily. “She’d be more than happy to take all the credit for downing Yequitzir.”

“Now, now, Milo,” the tall man chided. “Don’t be all butt-hurt that she topped your damage.”

“It’s not about that,” Milo frowned and took a drink of his beer. “Everyone realizes she’s a total bitch, right?”

Eye rolling and groans were given from around the table.

“This again…” spoke a fourth to the party. The woman was unmistakably related to the tall man, sharing his height and features. His hair was fiery red, and hers a dishwater blonde, while their porcelain skin and sharp blue eyes were very tell-tale of their shared heritage. “When will you two kiss and make-up?”

“Not that it’s any of your business, Marja, but I’m not at all interested in…relations…with that woman.”

“The sexual tension between you and Alyse is thick enough to cut with a knife,” Ari added with grin. “You don’t have to admit to anything, we know it’s true.”

“Piss off, you old fuckers don’t know anything.”

The tall man gave an amused laugh. It was true that everyone at the table, save for Milo, was thirty or better. The young man they were ribbing was only months beyond being old enough to drink. “You at least realize she’s in to you, right?”

“…No she’s not,” Milo countered as if he was being baited.

“Oh, for sure!” agreed Marja. “Soren is right,” she opened a hand towards the tall man, as if there could be any confusion as to who Soren was. “It’s like watching children pull each other’s hair because they don’t know how to respond to being in like.”

“It totally is!” Ari laughed boisterously. “Oh my god, you nailed it!”

“Why do I hang out with you fuckers?” Milo muttered, his eyes focused on a drained shot glass.

“Because we’re cool adults,” offered Soren. “We help you get pretty loot and buy you drinks. What more could you want?”

“It’d be nice if you’d talk about something else. I mean…what about Ari? She’s openly admitted that she hasn’t gotten laid for over three years. Why the hell would we be discussing my sex life?”

The dark hair woman looked at Milo with the shock of betrayal. “Hey now, there’s nothing interesting about—“

“That’s right!” chirped Marja. “We were all so hammered I nearly forgot!”

“It’s not a big deal,” Ari tried to curb the conversation.

“It is a psychological issue?” Milo asked with a smirk. “It has to be, right? Obviously you could get fucked if you wanted to.” He gave an appraising glance at her body.

“I just…like to play my games and run my store. I don’t have time for a relationship.”

“Yeah? What does fucking have to do with a relationship?”

Ari tilted her head slightly to one side, studying Milo for a moment before responding in earnest. “Everything.”

“…So it is a psychological issue.”

“Shut up and go get us some drinks,” Ari grumbled as she tossed a couple of twenties at the young companion.

“Just because you guys pay for my drinks…and food…doesn’t mean I’m your little server-boy.” Despite his argument, though, Milo was already standing and taking the money. He didn’t need to ask what anyone wanted; he knew their tastes well enough.

As the man departed Marja continued their conversation. “Are you afraid of another Rhion, Ari? Listen, I know he broke your—“

“Don’t. Talk. About. Rhion.” Ari’s dark eyes were focused intensely on Marja as she pronounced each word so harshly that she punctuated each.

“Oookay,” Marja put up her hands to physically signal her surrender.

“Holy shit, it is really still a thing? Sweetheart, you’ve got to get over—“

“I will cut you, Soren.”

The two remaining party members gave each other a glance. They both ceased to speak.

Milo returned after several moments. He surveyed the table. “Jesus fuck you guys are awkward without me, aren’t you?”

“It’s your dazzling personality and wit,” Ari responded. She held out a hand expectantly for her beer.

Milo handed it over. He wondered what had transpired in his absence, of course, but he wasn’t the type to dig.

“Well aren’t we a chipper bunch?” spoke a new voice as Milo had finished passing out the drinks.

“Oh hey, Sarah!” greeted Soren.

“You’re late,” complained Ari.

“I had to shower,” Sarah explained. “I hadn’t in, like…a week.”

“I believe the same could be said for everyone at this table,” commented Soren. The entire group had used vacation time from work to play the release of their game, which is the only way their guild could accomplish what it had. Taking down Yequitzir had been a world event trigger – one that wouldn’t be repeated, as the dragon’s demise meant that King’s Gate could be opened and Yequitzir’s lair ceased to exist; the latter of this information unknown to the players prior to the server message that accompanied their victory.

“I’m surprised none of us suffer from muscle atrophy,” marveled Marja.

“We have five days left before you two go back to work, right?” Ari looked at the pair of siblings hopefully. They played the tank and the healer so their availability was paramount.

“Yeah.” Soren answered. He thought to add: we have no intention of playing two of those days, though. But he knew it would cause an argument and there was no reason to cross that bridge right now. Ari would just have to find out that they were taking a break when they went on break.

“Awesome!” the woman responded happily.

“I only have a couple of days left,” Milo sulked. “You bastards better not gear up Alyse a shit-ton while I’m offline.”

“She doesn’t need us to get gear. What do you think she’s doing right now? Running PUGs, of course, working up that item level…” Ari spoke with a teasing grin.

Milo scoffed. “Sounds like someone doesn’t have a life…”

“Good one.” Ari spoke flatly, making a cheering motion with her beer before taking a draft.

“You didn’t get me a drink,” Sarah observed suddenly.

“You weren’t here,” Milo retorted.

Sarah pouted. After several moments of Milo ignoring her passive get me things request she went up to the bar herself. When she returned she asked, “So Alyse isn’t joining us tonight, I gather?”

“She’s only nineteen,” Marja reminded. “We’re hanging out in a bar.”

“Oh…right.”

“To business, then?” Ari suggested.

“This isn’t a guild meeting,” Soren responded.

Ari ignored him. “It’s unknown what waits for us beyond King’s Gate…except that there will be a festival in the honor of the Lotus Eaters, courtesy of the royal family. But once the scripted reward ceremonies are concluded…we’re on even ground with the Order of the Five.”

Soren raised a brow. It seemed his friend had an unnatural competitive grudge against this other guild and he wasn’t entirely sure how it developed. As the guild leader of the Lotus Eaters, perhaps he should address his officer and figure out where the animosity was coming from. “So?” he baited.

“So we need to identify the next significant target or quest and beat them to the conclusion.”

“You know we can’t keep up this pace, right?”

“Yeah so…let’s lock in as many server firsts as we can! We can calm it down when we have to.”

The others at the table exchanged glances. They could calm it down. Ari, however…?

“I think the King will approach us about joining his cause,” Ari continued, unaffected. “I think we should decline, although I think that would put us at an immediate disadvantage. If we are the righteous that we claim to be, however, it’s really our only option.”

“You want to oppose the King, given the chance?” Marja questioned.

“Given the chance? It’s guaranteed that the next phase will be about civil unrest and politics. I have no doubt that we will see several player factions evolve, all of which will probably have their own system of---“

Ari trailed off. Her eyes had attached to something – or rather, someone – and over the course of several seconds she had forgotten that she was speaking. The guildmates followed her gaze as it drifted across the room, finding a woman with short platinum hair.

“Oooh, she’s pretty!” remarked Marja in her usual carefree way.

Ari’s awareness snapped back to the table. They were all looking at her, at this woman that instantly caught Ari’s interest. “Don’t look at her!” she chided in a hushed whisper.

“Why not? She is pretty,” remarked Soren.

“Well…er…don’t all look at her at the same time!”

“Afraid she’ll notice us?” asked Milo.

Ari wasn’t sure how to respond to that. So she didn’t.

“You should go talk to her,” suggested Sarah.

“Nope.”

“It would probably be good for you to meet someone new,” Marja urged gently.

“Not interested.”

“That looked pretty interested to me,” remarked Milo. “Anyone that can get you to shut your mouth for even seconds has got to be something, right?”

Ari frowned.

“You know we’re not going to drop this. Go talk to her,” advised Soren.

“Yeah, go spend the night trying to get into someone’s pants. Like a normal unattached adult,” spoke Milo.

“I can’t. …We have King’s Gate tomorrow, and we should get an early start at it…”

“What does tomorrow have to do with tonight? You already planning to make her breakfast?”

Ari shot a leer in Milo’s direction. “Fine. I’ll go talk to her. But nothing is going to come of it, okay? You guys are just wasting our time…”

“Shut up and go,” the blonde man gave a dismissive gesture.

“And leave your insecurities at the table,” added Marja helpfully. “You’re gorgeous, she’s gorgeous…you’d be perfect together.”

“Yeah. I bet she’s just hot for nerds, too. My limited topics of conversation won’t bore her at all.”

“That’s the spirit!”

“She was being sarcastic,” Soren explained to his sister.

“I know!” Marja spoke defensively. “But it’s nice to pretend that we’re a positive group of people sometimes.”

Her friends continued to chatter but Arianna Cain didn’t hear a word of it. She was walking away from her comfort zone, dark eyes attached to a woman she believed to be entirely too beautiful and put together to have anything to do with herself. The platinum haired angel was impeccably dressed, her form fitting, perfectly tailored, and pressed clothing suggesting a sense of fashion that Ari simply couldn’t match. She, meanwhile, wore a t-shirt. A black one, comfortable and loose, with a golden Triforce centered on her chest. She paired it with a wide pleaded skirt, medium gray in color, over-the-knee black socks, and knee high boots.

The woman was leaving the bar, drink in hand. She set off through the crowd of people, in what Ari hoped was a search for somewhere to sit rather than in search for a particular person. Was she meeting someone here? Was Ari going to look like a complete ass, pursuing the woman purely on physical attraction, probably within only minutes of her arriving?

What was she going to say? She tried to think of some pick-up lines.

She failed.

Ari watched the woman’s trajectory, managing to skirt around and then cut into the crowd so as to step out in front of the other’s path. She did so with enough distance that her appearance wouldn’t be startling. She waited until the woman made eye contact, stopping as an immediate around route wasn’t available.

“Hi, I’m Ari.” She offered a hand. After a pause, giving the woman a chance to reply, she continued. “Just so there’s no confusion… I’m introducing myself with the hope that you’re single. …And interested in women.”
 
Last edited:
Jackie's meandered through the crowd with no clear destination in mind. The ice in her glass clinked against the edges with each careful step, the cut of her jacket whisking about the subtle swell of her hips which offered a subtle sway with each step. While inside her mind she was a roiling ball of doubt and worry, outwardly Jackie moved with the confidence of a woman who knew exactly where she was in life and what she wanted from it. When the light hit those green eyes they flashed brilliantly, the stylish sweep of her platinum bangs tickled at her temple and almost reached her lips. Those bangs jostled ever so lightly as she moved, the dedicated messiness all too fetching. Her lips were cocked in a ever so slight smile, more bemused than complacent, as was the actual look in those ever wandering green depths. She was not entirely there, having slipped into her 'people watching' mode subconsciously. Less and less she was actively looking for Hannah and company as much as she was silently taking in the people around her and judging them.

She reserved her judgment strictly to their fashion sense, which she found so severely lacking in just about everyone she laid eyes upon. So much denim and leather, she wondered if they owned anything that didn't contain one of those two. Compared to the rest Jackie's attire, while subsisting of denim and leather as well, was clearly a cut above the rest. A sharp enough eye could probably tell that even the black v-neck shirt she wore cost more than the entire outfit of more than a few people around her combined. She never played around when it came to her appearance and fashion sense. At this point in her life the image she portrayed to the outside world was paramount. It was a base and unattractive way of thinking but in her career it was all too common. Jackie felt defined by her appearance, the mask she chose to show the world had to be beautiful, flawless and commanding. Yet as she made her way through the crowd of extras from the Son's of Anarchy the little things started to give her away. Not that anyone was looking at her so closely, or so she thought. There was a certain uncomfortable nature to her presence, as if the very environment just didn't sit right with her. This wasn't her typical hunting grounds, she was on new turf and the slight hesitations in her step and the way she preferred to hold her drink out in front of her with both hands, the dangling straw always near her lips, were all clear giveaways that Jackie wasn't entirely comfortable being here. With each new step Jackie felt the desire to find Hannah or Wyatt diminishing. A few more steps and a causal shoulder brush with a stranger and Jackie had finally settled on a decision. She would finish her drink, no point in wasting perfectly good rum after all, and then make a beeline for the nearest exist. She felt the pull of her novel waiting for her, the comfortable stillness and solitude of her hotel room. Yet there was a small sliver of her that vividly remembered just how painfully empty that void of loneliness really was. As much as Jackie desired some kind of human contact, it wasn't the touch of a random stranger that she hungered for. She wanted to find those violet eyes again and get lost in them for a few hours. How could any stranger possibly fill that void?

If only Jackie knew what horrible, twisted sense of humor fate had. So caught up was she in her inner most desires that Jackie fell headlong into Ari's trap. It was a perfect bottleneck, her tactical sense was something to be appreciated if Jackie had known about it. She found herself pinned between two large, hulking figures from either side, the constantly undulating bodies in her wake filling the empty space she had created moments ago. And before her there was a pair of the most stunningly gorgeous dark eyes she had seen in a long time. She stood out like a sore thumb, at least to Jackie's keen eye for fashion. While the girl's attire was fetching in its own lowkey kind of way, far from the sweat stained leather and worn denim that surrounded them both. There was a bewildered twinkle in Jackie's eyes for just a second, once she batted her dark lashes it was gone and green met brown. Jackie managed to take it all in, the amazing hair and fair skin, the lovely eyes, even the piercing of her lower lip. Jackie had her own bit of metal glinting in the harsh lights, the silver septum piercing fetching if slightly subtle against her pale skin. She focused on that piercing entirely too long, Jackie found it instantly sexy and for a brief, degenerate moment imagined what those lips felt like as her tongue ran over them. Jackie's bottom lip was drawn between rows of ivory to be nibbled upon briefly, as subtle and alluring gesture that belied Jackie's hesitation and approval all at the same time.

Jackie slipped one hand from her drink and took Ari's offered hand, offering a firm handshake that tested the girl's own grip. But it did more than that, Jackie slightly twisted her wrist, letting her fingertips brush over the girl's wrist and palm in the process. The skin she felt was soft, it was obvious this girl wasn't doing any hard manual labor but Jackie could have easily deduced that with just a glance.

“Hey, you can call me Jackie. Or Jack if you like. I answer to both,” Jackie felt her confidence returning as she spoke, the inner doubt that plagued her thoughts drifting away, only to be whipped away by the sudden intensity of Ari's words. So blunt and to the point, while Jackie surely wasn't expecting it she wouldn't deny that she appreciated the sentiment. Perhaps she had spent far too long with the likes of Rae, who had no filter whatsoever. Was this Ari just as frank and forward? Jackie could only imagine. She released Ari's hand and her bottom lip as well, only to purse them before a slow but wide smile drifted out over her lips.

“No confusion at all, Ari. I'll be blunt as well, since that seems how you do things. I'm single too...and as for gender preference....” Jackie tilted her head just a fraction of a degree to the right as gave a none too subtle shrug of her shoulders. “I'm a sucker for a pretty face. Which you have in spades. And I love your boots!”

Jackie latched onto the one thing she felt comfortable with talking about, alright two things. Pretty people and fashion. Ari had both going for her, though already in Jackie's mind she was thinking of a multitude of ways to make her even more stunning. Jackie took a step closer, forgetting in the blink of an eye that she had any notion of running off and hiding in her hotel room.

“What are yah drinkin'?” Jackie asked, letting her tone and pronunciation slip just a little bit.
 
The woman had been preparing for rejection. Her directness, in fact, had been given in the get it over with spirit. Ari was clueless when it came to pursuing a sexual interest; she had been married for seven years, together for ten...which, at the age of 30 – and considering that she'd been divorced for four years now – meant that she had been with her husband since the age of 16. Her experience in dating otherwise included only three people, one male and two female, one prior to and two after her divorce. None of the other relationships lasted year and all of them ended with Ari being left.

There were some security issues in that.

The realization hit Ari in the span of half of a second, after which she smiled brightly at Jackie's compliments, for the time pushing everything else to the back of her mind. "Oh, thanks!" she looked down at her boots while twisting a leg to give herself a better vantage. They were, indeed, nice boots. Well crafted, unadorned, and made of high quality leather. A zipper ran from her instep to the cuff, facing the inside of her legs. "I also have them in brown," she remarked off-handedly. After a moment's hesitation, she added: "I bought those first, for a Halloween costume, and then liked them so much that I had to buy a pair for every day wear. …My wardrobe doesn’t fit so well for brown as it does black."

Dark eyes shifted to take in the vision of the beauty before her. No doubt the woman had a better understanding of what a wardrobe could or should be. For Ari it was mostly a collection of t-shirts, some jeans, a few skirts, and four pairs of shoes/boots (including the brown pair that she never wore). But even with a very limited sense fashion she could tell that Jackie knew something of style.

Did Ari look like a slob in comparison?

Definitely.

…At least Jackie thought she had a pretty face.

"I love," she started, drawing out the last word as she unabashedly looked Jackie over. With a pointed finger she traced the woman head to toe and then toe to head. "All of this. You're gorgeous. Your clothes are gorgeous. It's all, just...wow."

You're an idiot, Ari scolded herself.

A question of her beverage was given, to which Ari lifted and showed the other woman a clear bottle with a predominantly yellow label, a blue star nestled between two banners of white and red. The liquid within was a smooth brown, a little more than half remaining. “Newcastle,” she explained. “Though I’ll admit to a fondness for vodka, as well.” Ari’s gaze shifted towards the glass in Jackie’s hand. “You?”

After hearing the answer to her query Ari casually glanced around the bar, seeking somewhere for the two to sit and get acquainted. Despite what she considered the not-exactly-welcoming atmosphere of 'The Chernobyl Tearoom' (she hadn't been the guild member to select the venue), the place had to be given credit for the volume of the business it seemed to do. The place was packed. A frown tugged at the corners of her lips and only reluctantly did she look back at her own table.

…And they were all staring, of course. She gave them a scornful scowl. In response Milo made sure that Ari’s new friend knew exactly what dilemma was occurring: he stood up and practically shouted, “Ari! Ari! Bring your friend and come take shots!” He pointed excitedly at the table, which was, indeed, loaded with alcohol. He followed it up with a full arm swinging come here gesture.

Ari was mortified. It took her several moments to recover enough to speak, in the meantime her mind running though thousands of what-if scenarios. No matter how she went about it: it was a bad idea to bring Jackie to her friends at this juncture. They’d either ruin things and embarrass her terribly or they’d goad Ari into moving entirely too fast…which could only result in her ruining everything on her own.

She turned to Jackie, her expression a forced nonchalant. “So what do you do for a living, Jackie?” She couldn’t help but smile as she spoke the blonde woman’s name. Ari shifted her weight and motioned with a hand, wordlessly inviting her companion to walk in the most opposite direction of her friends’ table.

The choice of where they were to go, however, was entirely in Jackie's court. Ari wouldn't resist her, if she showed any interest in her joining her friends - or she'd happily stroll around the bar and find something more private (and less humiliating).
 
The smile that came to Ari's lips at Jackie's compliment was disarming to say the least. It brought out her beauty and put Jackie instantly at ease; so much so she didn't even realize it. Instead Jackie was wholly absorbed in this random girl, a glorious and all too welcome distraction from her overactive internal monologuing. She was doing wonders about making Jackie forget just why she was here or the fact that she had already made plans to bail. Not now, now leaving was the farthest thing from her mind. She followed Ari's gaze as they both swept down her frame to take in her boots once again. Without the twist of her leg Jackie had already sized up the craftsmanship and quality of them.

“You should totally wear them more then,” Jackie quickly added without hesitation. “Brown would make your eyes just pop. Anything goes with brown boots, black leggings, a pair of tight jeans, maybe a tan shirt or sweater. Oh! A scarf...”

Jackie couldn't resist, not when it came to dressing up pretty people. She had already envisioned Ari in several different outfits, of course they were all strikingly different from her current style. The thought hit Jackie all at once and she bit down on her bottom lip to keep herself from going further.

“Of course just a T-shirt and leggings would work wonders for you,” Jackie said almost as an afterthought. She would have struggled a bit more to keep herself in check if Ari hadn't turned the tables and complimented her on her own style. She had the grace to blush at the words, a soft rosy hue rose to her cheeks and Jackie found herself giggling like an idiot. Sure she got called cute a lot, but gorgeous? It wasn't so much the word as in the way she said it that made Jackie blush so. Still, she played it off as causally as she could, her smile intact she glanced down at herself and causally shrugged.

“Oh, this? I'm pretty dressed down, actually. You should see me in a suit,” Jackie said with a cocksure little grin that was just downright flirty. There was something about wearing a tie that felt empowering to her, the crisp professional yet stylish look always added more weight to the charismatic image she loved to portray. Those green eyes snapped to the bottle she dangled in front of her, catching the label and more importantly the color of the contents. It was hard to respect someone when they preferred to drink piss water. Luckily Jackie didn't have to worry about that, indeed, the realization only made her smile widen further.

“I should have guessed you were a longneck kinda girl,” Jackie said as she tilted her head slightly to the side, just using the moment to take Ari in all over again. She'd never get tired of doing that. Though with the mention of vodka it brought out a distasteful wrinkling of her nose and a nostalgic chortle or two.

“Oh god. Vodka reminds me of college. We had no money but still needed to get shitfaced. So we got the cheapest vodka we could find...Hawkeye I think it was called. And Sunny D. Those were...the fucking worst Screwdrivers. Ever.” Jackie couldn't help but laugh as the images came flashing back briefly in her mind's eye. “Nothing like trying to stay on the track in Mario Kart after a few of those...”

Jackie let it slip out unintentionally, those little secrets of her past that she preferred to keep buried. Video games weren't high on the list of things she regularly enjoyed, but that's what happened when you became an adult. Or so she told herself. Her own glass was raised and she made the dwindling icecubes clink within it briefly at the question of just what she was drinking.

“Rum and Coke. Top shelf,” Jackie wasn't sure why she had to add the last bit. But there were certain things in live one simply could not tolerate low brands with, like toilet paper, alcohol, soda, and clothing. Jackie took the moment to give a causal glance around as well, trying to find any spots that might offer them the luxury of relaxation and perhaps a hint of privacy. She didn't manage to see anything of note, though when she looked back at Ari she instantly noticed the beginnings of a frown. That was when she followed her gaze and saw the man standing there waving and calling out Ari's name. She resisted asking the needless question of their relationship, obviously they were friends and it was also painfully obvious from Ari's reaction that she wanted nothing to do with them. Jackie had no idea what she was getting into and just what kind of trouble she'd find herself in if they ended back up at that table. She honestly didn't mind meeting new people, she did so on a regular basis and learning to smile and pretend was a big part of the job. At least when she wasn't making people cry. But it was obvious that the last thing Ari wanted was to take Jackie back to her friend's table. Right now that was all that mattered.

Jackie looked up at Milo as he waved, her shoulder brushing up against Ari's as she stood beside her. She flashed her most endearing smile and lifted her drink up in a salute at him before she turned her attention fully to Ari.

“C'mon,” Jackie almost whispered the word as she slipped her free arm around Ari's and turned her away from her friends and drew her in the very direction she had indicated. She gave Ari a playful little look as she glanced back at her, her hand brushing down to find the girl's and take a firm hold. Jackie guided her through the crowd, though she had no real destination other than 'away'. It took her several minutes of weaving through the crowd to emerge on the other side of the mob, close to the bar with a sea of bodies between them and Ari's friends.

“Better,” Jackie half-asked, half-stated as she finally relinquished her grip on Ari's hand and turned to face her fully. She settled in with a few back steps towards the wall, as close to finding a comfortable and solitary spot as she could.

“We can talk a little easier now, I think.” She added, biting down on her bottom lip for a brief moment before she took another sip of liquid courage.

“To answer your question, I'm an Art Director for a fashion company. Maybe you heard of it? Androgyne.” She asked anyway even if she had a suspicion that the last thing Ari kept tabs on were new fashion companies. “It sounds a lot more glorious than it really is. I like to call myself the 'Cleaner'. I end up fixing more messes and making people cry than the job title suggests.”

“What about you?” Jackie asked from over the rim of her glass. So many possibilities raced through her head. Just what could a gorgeous girl like Ari possibly do for a living? It was an exciting moment, awaiting the response and the confirmation that she was probably 100% wrong with her own guesstimates. But as much as she tried to focus on Ari as a whole, her green gaze kept falling back to those lips, the glint of the piercing in her bottom lip and with each drink Jackie felt the undeniable urge to taste them rise bit by bit.
 
Ari hadn’t been aware that brown boots could go with anything other than fall colors. Sure, they looked great as a part of a Link costume…but mixing them with black leggings? Wasn’t that against the rules? …Probably Jackie knew better than her, a point that only seemed to grow more valid with every word the woman spoke. Ari imagined the outfits described and there was no question that the blonde had an artistic vision that she lacked.

“Maybe we could play dress up sometime,” Ari teased playfully. “You’re clearly more qualified to dress me than I am.”

It was then that Ari so openly appraised Jackie’s form and attire. For a moment she had felt like a total dork, imagining her compliments as awkward or unwanted, but the reaction from her interest quickly relieved her stress on the matter. The coloring of Jackie’s cheeks, the giggle that came from her – it had Ari smiling like a love-struck idiot. The other woman recovered quickly and remarked on her own outfit, stating that it wasn’t dressed up.

You should see me in a suit,” Jackie spoke with a grin that Ari found enchanting.

“I’d very much like to see that,” Ari spoke sincerely. “If I’m completely honest, I’m weak for suits.” And no doubt Jackie would look amazing in one!

They spoke of drinks and Ari cursed herself for liking vodka: of course it would be a repulsive substance to Jackie. She could relate, though. Ari thought to share her experience, tell that she and her friends would get drunk off of one of their dad’s cheap whiskey. She couldn’t get near the stuff, just the smell of it made her stomach twist up and caused an involuntarily shudder. Jackie’s mention of Hawkeye Vodka and Sunny D sounded absolutely awful; a sympathetically disgusted expression was given in response. She could only compare it to…what was it? She couldn’t remember the brand of whiskey, she just knew that it was dirt cheap and harsh as fuck. Suddenly all thoughts of relaying this story vanished with two simple words.

Mario Kart.

A stupid smile came to her face. “Mario Kart is the best. Easily made into a drinking game for adults!” She took a drink of her beer and internally told herself to calm down. She was giddy with hope that this woman could relate to some part of her. But freaking out and getting all nerdy right out the gate probably wasn’t the way to go. …Much as Ari wanted to share that Mario Party was also awesomely well suited to drinking with friends. Hell, she might even brag that she had to drink of her own accord because she was so god damned awesome at mini games.

Everyone plays Mario Kart, she reminded herself. At best she’s a casual. She doesn’t want to listen to you talk about every gaming experience you’ve ever had.

She questioned Jackie’s choice of drink that evening, a great way to derail herself from making a complete ass of herself.

Rum and Coke. Top shelf,” Jackie explained.

“Of course,” she offered towards the latter. “It’s not worth going cheap on liquor: that’s the stuff of ruining one’s tastes for an entire line of spirits. For you: vodka. For me: whiskey.” She didn’t delve any further on the story to be had from her youth, the general idea was implicit and so there really wasn’t any point to it. Instead she looked for somewhere for them to sit and eventually came upon Milo making a fool of himself as he attempted to embarrass Ari. Which worked. Thankfully Jackie was able to read her distress and didn’t want her to suffer; and so, after politely hailing her table of friends with a lifted drink, she wrapped her arm around Ari’s and led her in the indicated opposite direction.

The affect was dizzying. Ari was a little…abnormal…with physical contact. She wasn’t germophobic nor did she have any genuine fear associated with touch; she just…didn’t like it. It made absolutely no sense, as the woman had been raised in a very affectionate family, and with them and her handful of lovers only did she allow herself to be embraced. Perhaps that it why she equated such simple touches with so much intimacy.

Jackie’s hand slipped down her forearm, settling as her fingers curled around Ari’s hand. It was in that instant that the dark haired woman’s back-minded awareness of Therandane melted away completely. She was always considering her current distraction, desiring and playing out how to get whatever pretty pixels she craved at the time, but now she was pulled completely to the reality that she rarely fully acknowledged. She fell into a surreal, dumbstruck state as Jackie led her in their search of somewhere a little more private.

She had regained her composure by the time that they – or Jackie – found a place for the girls to settle. “Much better,” Ari agreed as she watched Jackie place herself against a span of open wall. She couldn’t help but imagine drawing the distance between them to a close, placing a flattened palm against the barrier behind and above Jackie’s position. The picture was like something you’d see in a movie – was probably something Ari had seen in a movie – but she wasn’t bold enough to perform it herself. She already felt comfortable with Jackie, and was undeniably attracted to her, but Ari was far from suave.

She listened as the blonde commented on their new location’s usefulness and watched as the other woman bit her lower lip. Ari fixated on that particular gesture, a bright smile so easily coming in response. Even as Jackie took a drink dark eyes remained upon her lips; it was only when she began to speak of her job that Ari forced herself to make eye contact.

She knew Jackie not at all and yet ‘Art Director for a fashion company’ sounded like the perfect profession for her. Ari wasn’t familiar with the name Androgyne but nor was she fashionable…so that didn’t say anything about the company’s reputation or reach. As Jackie went more in-depth with her job description her companion had a hard time imagining the gorgeous lady making people cry. She took her word for it with a little laugh, quite enjoying the way Jackie explained her job duties.

Then the question of what one did for a living was turned upon Ari.

“I own a comic shop slash gaming store,” she spoke confidently. “…Slash tabletop meeting place,” she added after a moment of thought. “The Lair. Located in Queens.” She attempted to search Jackie’s expressional reaction for tells. While Ari had never felt any shame for her fantastical hobbies, which she had indulged in for the entirety of her life, she had found time and time again that some people couldn’t accept that lifestyle in others. Usually an obvious inability to relate became apparent and neither party wasted any more time on the matter…and sometimes it resulted in short-term dating in which Ari’s partner got really pissed off that she required daily screen times and talked incessantly about made up bullshit. All but one of her break-ups had been placed directly on the platform of ”you care more about your game(s),” or “you don’t pay enough attention to me,” or ”I’m going to try to fucking kill you, I hate you so much.”

“If you ever feel like getting your nerd on you should check it out. We have demos of all the latest consoles - with very well stocked libraries - and a handful of free to play PCs. We host MTG tournaments, serve as a hub for D&D and other tabletop campaigns. Plus there’s comic books and lots of gear…though I can't imagine you’d buy clothing from The Lair, we’re not a fashionable lot… We have a lot of fun. Mostly it’s the regulars hanging out, freeloading on the Wi-Fi and playing free games. My business model for profit is shit. But it’s fun!”
 
She is so fucking into you.

Those words rang so loudly in her ears that Jackie swore for a moment Ari just might hear them. They weren't in her own voice, no, the little voice inside her head now was none other than Rae Savage. She had been the one encouraging her earlier to go out and meet people. Okay, those weren't her exact words, Jackie's interpretation was far more tasteful. The playful tease offered up by Ari made Jackie want to swoon. It played so well and on so many levels she didn't even know where to begin. Instead of a quick retort, Jackie just smiled, wide and positively beaming.

“I would absolutely love to,” Jackie said, biting her bottom lip lightly to keep from saying the rest, 'I'd also love to strip you down and run my lips over every part of your body.'

What a pussy.

Yeah, that little voice was kind of a cunt sometimes. Just like Rae.

The mention of seeing Jackie in a suit brought out that smile again. She giggled and gave herself a glance before offering a light shrug of her shoulders.

“There's about a hundred percent chance you will. If you play your cards right,” Jackie was quick to tease, an almost coy glance from behind her glass before she added. “I usually wear them. Slacks, button-down shirts...they're my thing. Shouldn't be surprising I'm into the tomboy imagine.”

Jackie could have gone on and on about that. The fact that Androgyne focused exclusively in such fashion was something she almost blurted out. But Ari seemed to have little knowledge of the fashion world. It didn't matter, not really. She was so pretty and the saying opposites attract wasn't completely wrong. Jackie found herself looking on in awe as the sincere and unabashed grin turned into a rather silly smile at the mention of Mario Kart. She was so quick to add in on the idea, adding in the bit about the drinking game. It wasn't a surprise to Jackie, actually she was very much aware of such. Her relationship with the Savage sisters was an odd one, to say the least, and she had spent more than a few nights at the ancestral Savage household taking turns in drunken bouts of both Mario Kart and Party. She almost mentioned it, but all too quickly swallowed the words before they managed to get close.

Don't ruin it by telling her yer really a fucking dork.

Jackie hated when Rae was right.

By the time they got to discussing liquor (Jackie made a mental note to remember that whiskey was indeed the girl's poison) she was already starting to feel tingly. That tingle was from the rum, but the shiver that ran up her spine was from something else entirely. It continued to ripple up through her as green eyes held fast to those dark orbs. Were they brown? Black? It was hard to tell in the awful lighting of the club but Jackie was determined to find out before the night was through. With each further sip of her drink Jackie felt braver and more confident than before, even comfortable. The tension in her shoulder's lessened and they sagged just a bit. Her posture got more relaxed and the smile now lingered on her lips the entire time they talked.

If only Ari knew just what a walking mental wreck she had been just moments before. Such a stark contrast to the confident woman leaning back against the wall, a sight to behold and positively magnetic. She spoke of her own career, keeping it safe and simple without going into too much detail and boring the poor girl. She had thought to mention her artistic abilities, but they were more of a secondary skill at this point. And they were completely forgotten when Ari finally opened up and spoke about her own profession. Jackie had been waiting, simply dying to know just what this beautiful woman did for a living. Her guesses had been wild and varied and in the end completely off base. The look of surprise was plastered clearly on her face, but it did not detract from the smile. There was no little tick of disinterest or disgust. Still, she did the little “Aah” noise that everyone did in times like this. She nodded and listened intently to the tale. First a comic shop. Then a gaming store. And...tabletop gaming. No more. The list went on and on. The name though made Jackie titter, a rather pervy look taking over for just a moment which she tried to hide behind her glass.

“Sounds more like a BDSM club,” She teased lightheartedly, her tone far from judgmental. Jackie was enraptured with every word that she had to say, her heart rate elevated and Jackie felt a surge of excitement. Was this real? Had someone from the office just been pulling an elaborate trick on her to expose her dark secrets? How could they? No one knew the secret that Jackie had shoved into the very back of her closet, so far that she even began to doubt herself if it had been real. The mention of D&D sent another shiver up her spine, as did consoles. It was all familiar, but those two things were what brought a nostalgic rush that claimed her so fully.

“That is...amazing.” Jackie said, though the sentence was something that most people might use sarcastically. But Jackie was honestly impressed. “I never thought you were an entrepreneur. And in that market too boot? That's impressive. I'm sure the neckbeards are rightfully intimidated by the Gamer Girl Goddess you are.” Jackie bit back the last part about licking the Cheeto dust from her fingers. It was so ridiculous that it made her blush to even think it. Stupid too. Best keep that kind of embarrassing chatter to a minimum.

“I hope you have some retro consoles on hand for the Hipster crowd. I...-” Jackie started and completely faltered. She was going to say something that she had yet to utter but to a select few. Only those intimate in her life even had an inkling of her interests. She had confided in Rae, who found the girl's fear of her past hobbies absolutely ridiculous. Rae was a gamer herself, she also got into fistfights and snorted coke off the back of her roadster and didn't give one single fuck if anyone knew she played Mario Kart with her sisters. If only Jackie had the resolute determination of the feisty fighter, but she wasn't made of such stern stuff. She paused far too long to play it off as anything else, Jackie's lips lingered open far too long and the look on her face when she realized what she was doing was priceless but also telling. She devolved into a nervous laugh, sought refuge behind her glass and gulped down several mouthfuls of liquid courage before she could even begin to gather herself.

“I was going to say. I have fond memories of playing my Brother's Super Nintendo as a kid. Chrono Trigger happened to be a favorite of mine. And Secret of Mana, but I never had anyone to play with,” Jackie shot it out hastily, her cheeks flushing beat red. She could so easily flirt and tease, confidently take Ari by the hand and lead her from her friends. But this? This is what she blushes about? A hand slid out and brushed over Ari's forearm, a gentle if not tender brush of the pad of her thumb against the bare skin.

“That's not something I tell to just anyone. But I thought a owner of a Gaming Store wouldn't be judgmental about it...” Jackie bit her bottom lip and gave Ari an intimate, vulnerable look, as if she were searching for some kind of confirmation that Ari indeed fit the bill. It was a rush of stressful euphoria. Jackie was baring a bit of her soul that had rarely seen the light of day and to basically a complete stranger. But Ari was beautiful, alluring and suitably nerdy...if there was anyone that might understand the madness of Jackie's thought processes it might just be her.
 
Entrepreneur? That’s pretty generous, Ari nearly spoke out loud. But she stopped herself, a dam of her mind obstructing her ability to share the thought. She had inherited the shop from her parents, a detail she might speak if it didn’t so indirectly reveal that both of her parents were deceased. The woman had never been the type to share much about herself in conversations and since the deaths of her immediate family members she had taken the art of ‘saying a lot without saying anything at all’ to a whole new level. And so, rather than remarking that while she was, by strict definition, an entrepreneur, she didn’t think she qualified for the connotation involved with the word. She wasn’t a risk taker nor did she forge her own path. She grew up in The Lair. She continued to run the place, even as the memories it held pained her greatly. Remodeling hadn’t helped nearly so much as she had hoped; she knew where things used to be. She saw what she knew. …And sometimes she’d just lock herself in the office for the entirety of the day and break down. Those instances had lessened slightly over time, sure, but all of her employees and most of the regulars had witnessed the event on more than one occasion.

Ari allowed Jackie’s compliments to overpower her own back-minded thoughts. She smiled at how impressed the other woman was by her not-really-the-case-at-all envisioning of Ari’s business persona. Probably she should curtail the falsehood of her being a badass that intimated her customers by how fucking awesome she was. More likely they pitied her, despite her being an adapt player at many different genres and makes of games. Truth of the matter was that they all knew that she was deeply and inconsolably sad, as previously described…what with the meltdowns and locking oneself in a room routine. She refused to discuss the matter with anyone, otherwise, as if only glimpses of the emotional wreck that she was wouldn’t let on how bad it really was. She didn’t want pity. It was the strongest she was capable of pretending to be, not needing to talk about it, and the only way she knew to save face.

She was on a personal mission to avoid the pain of reality though a clever use of constant distractions. Thus: Raab.

“I hope you have some retro consoles on hand for the Hipster crowd. I...-”

Jackie let the last word linger. The expression she gave when the pause became so obviously awkward was something that Ari would remember for the rest of her life. It was endearing, to say the least; and the nervous laugh that followed was the stuff of magic. Ari was entranced by this woman. She watched as the blonde lifted her glass, dark eyes settling once again upon those lush and perfect lips. An amused smile was upon her own, light hearted and understanding, her undivided attention placed squarely on what Jackie might say next.

The words couldn’t possibly have been any better. The crimson stain of Jackie’s cheeks as she confessed her involvement in gaming was so alluringly beautiful that Ari couldn’t find a suitable response.

Holy shit! Don’t fuck this up, Ari. Remain calm. Please don’t go into the good old days.

Ari could talk about Chrono Trigger for the rest of the evening. Add Secret of Mana? Fuck…

The dark haired woman glanced down at her arm as Jackie brushed a hand against her skin. At the stroke of her thumb Ari raised her sight to behold dazzling green eyes, eyes that were no doubt positively fucking radiant in the light of day.

“That's not something I tell to just anyone. But I thought a owner of a Gaming Store wouldn't be judgmental about it...”

She looked so…raw. So gorgeously exposed. …Gaming was her dirty little secret? Ari couldn’t help but be confused by the concept but at the same time she realized just how honored she should feel that Jackie was willing to open up to her about it.

“I…” Ari started. A huff of heated breath escaped her parted lips. Her mind scrambled with the possibilities of her response. She was so very attracted to this woman, and to hear that she was even remotely interested in video games…

Ari said nothing. Instead, she took a step closer, leaning in until her lips brushed tenderly against Jackie’s. She’d feel out the reaction before closing in the gap between them even further. A hand caressed the side of Jackie’s face as Ari’s body brushed against hers, lips parting as the dark haired woman deepened the kiss. Her affections were passionate, though not forceful, and if they weren’t in public Ari would have curled a hand into Jackie’s hair. (She somehow had an inkling that the blonde wouldn’t want her hair mussed from the pawing of some animal. At least not here.) So Ari allowed her hand to trail backwards, fingertip dancing across Jackie’s jawline as she swept beneath her ear and lightly curled her touch around the bend of the woman’s neck.

It felt amazing. Ari held nothing back, kissing Jackie as if she was the love she had waited an eternity for. Even as she withdrew her lips her body remained close, a hand resting upon the blonde woman’s hip and shoulder.

“I thought…I should probably do that now. If you get me started on the classics…I can’t stop myself. You’ll hear nothing but stories of pretty pixels from me.” She bit her lower lip and averted her gaze for a moment. When her eyes returned to Jackie’s she continued. “It’s awesome that you like videogames. I’m just…maybe a little too excited at the prospect of how much you like games. I’m guessing you’ll be suitably bored with my conversation before I manage to talk you into coming to my house to play.”
 
Jackie wasn’t sure just how Ari would respond to such a confession. Not that she was worried that she would be judged for liking video games, more so the fact it was something akin to a dirty little secret. Ari wore that side of herself proudly, never once did Jackie think gaming wasn’t ingrained in the girl’s very soul. But how would someone like that think about someone like her? Someone who felt the need to hide it from others, oh God if Ari only knew what else Jackie was holding back. That started a whole chain reaction of doubt, one that the amused smile Ari had been wearing couldn’t deflect. There was a connection here, one that positively sparked between them when her fingertips touched Ari’s arm. She saw it in her eyes, her smile and in her mannerisms. Everything cried out that Ari was very much into her, just as Jackie’s every move called out like the needly little soul she was. But what would she make of the rest…

Jackie never got to finish that statement. In the span of a moment everything changed. Ari never verbally responded to her statement, instead she did the very thing Jackie wasn’t expecting. She kissed her.

Jackie saw it coming, knew what that look and the way her head bowed forward meant. She was a deer caught in the headlights but also a moth being drawn to the flame. She could do nothing but watch herself get drawn in and burn. But Jackie didn’t catch fire and turn to ashes, instead the fire claimed her from within and burnt outwards. Those sweet lips were the catalyst, the tenderness behind them stole her breath away and the intensity made her want to cry. She knew the moment those lips touched her she was absolutely screwed. Relationships always ended badly, it was just how it worked. But as Ari closed in further till there was no space left to claim Jackie knew she’d have it no other way. Initially she did tense up, just briefly, mostly from the sheer surprise of the kiss, even if she knew it was coming her body wasn’t ready for the touch. She gave a little noise, hard to describe but one that you knew in your soul that they were completely, utterly, and wonderfully lost in that moment. Jackie’s eyes drifted close, her frame tensed and shivers and her head tilted into that gentle caress. Her lips responded in kind, parting and deepening the kiss as it grew under its own accord. So passionate, so sweet and endearing. It was everything she could want in a kiss. Jackie let her lips part further, brushing them lightly against Ari’s before she oh so tenderly bit down on her bottom lip. She gave it a slight tub, an exploratory flick of her tongue that was focused on her piercing more than anything else. Fuck, she had wanted to do that since Ari said hello.


Her own hands sought out Ari, but more for support than to tenderly caress. It didn’t help that she still had her half empty drink in her hand. That arm curled about Ari’s shoulders, locking there to keep the girl from drawing back too far, while the other brushed out over the front of her T-shirt. Her slender digits curled into the fabric, gripping it so tightly that her rational mind would have screamed that she was going to stretch it out. But rationality had nothing to do with that kiss or that moment right now. That’s what it was all about: the moment. Nothing existed but this single moment and Jackie would have gladly lingered in that moment forever. But kisses always came to an end, an unfortunate truth no one really wanted to accept.

She found herself panting once their lips parted, only then did Jackie realize just how passionately she had been returning the affection. Her cheeks remained flushed, her body temperature has risen several degrees and the club now felt stifling around her. Yet the crowds didn’t faze her, didn’t exist, still the only thing that mattered was the dark eyed beauty still holding her. Jackie opened her eyes slowly, taking in Ari’s face once more as she tried to slow her breathing. The girl spoke now, though her words had a hazy quality to them that made focusing on them difficult. Instead of answering outright Jackie shook her head, her free hand sliding out to brush the tip of her index finger against those gorgeous lips. They had been everything she thought they would be and more. But Jackie didn’t touch them just to touch, she asked for just a moment. She used it to down the rest of her drink in one furious gulp. With a burning sigh she set it aside and promptly wrapped her arms around Ari’s neck and drew her back in. Jackie leaned back against the wall, using it for support as she arched her back and didn’t stop drawing Ari in till they were pressing flush against one another again. Jackie kissed her then with a passionate tenderness that didn’t let her hold one thing back. She whispered wordlessly against those sweet lips, worshiping them with her own, licking, nibbling her bottom lip, her piercing, coaxing Ari’s own tongue out to briefly caress her own.

“You could talk about the tax code and I’d be absolutely enraptured,” Jackie whispered against those lips, her green eyes partially closed, glaring up at Ari in that short moment they reconnected. “If you are as passionate about games as you are about kissing...” Jackie started, idly biting her own bottom lip briefly before she tightened her grip, her fingers curling into Ari’s shirt.

“Take me home,” Jackie half-asked, half-demanded. She was done with the outside world, after a kiss like that Jackie was drunk on Ari and only wanted more. “I want you to show me everything.”

Now wasn’t that an ambiguous statement? She was as excited as she was nervous, her forwardness even surprising her.
 
Ari was drunk. Not in the conventional style: she was only on her second beer. No, Ari was a much more dangerous type of intoxicated. Her mind was fogged, an endorphin rush causing her to go completely off-kilter from her usual process of thought. Drowned was any semblance of self-consciousness. Gone were her painful losses. In the moment that Jackie returned her kiss, everything - all concerns and worries - melted away. Her focus then was completely centered on the feel of her could-be lover's tongue, the way that it danced and played with her own; the press of Jackie's lips and body. The two melded in such a way that there could be no doubt of their sexual compatibility.

She couldn't help but moan as she felt the pull of her shirt, gathered in Jackie's fist. Paired with the inward draw of the arm wrapped about her shoulders, the evidence of desire was tangible. Their embrace made Ari feel secure. And for her, that was something big…and rare. For once she didn't feel like she needed to probe the future, making a guessing game of how and when things would blow up in her face. She didn't want to try to gauge how much pleasure now would translate to pain later. It didn't matter. This was happening and Ari refused to start looking for a way to start ruining it.

When their lips parted Ari took several moments to compose herself well enough to speak. She drank in the radiant beauty of the woman before her, reveled in the sound of her catching her breath. It was only then that Ari realized that she was breathing rather heavily, herself. Had she taken a breath while they were engaged? ...She couldn't answer that question. She hardly wasted a thought on the matter, though, instead rambling off her justification for initiating the kiss.

Jackie sensuously trailed a finger over Ari's lips, her touch settling in a classic 'shhh' position. The blonde used the moment of silence to finish her drink, an action that made Ari realize that she had lost her own. She had been carrying it earlier, clearly...but here she was, both hands on Jackie. The beer had mysteriously disappeared somewhere between...where did she remember having it last? Did she drop it during their kiss? She fought the compulsion to look down for shattered glass. ...Maybe she set it on a nearby table? Ari quickly decided that it was just another thing that didn’t matter.

She wasn’t expecting to be drawn back in – at least not so immediately. Jackie downed her drink and set the glass aside, immediately thereafter wrapping both arms around Ari’s neck. The dark haired woman could do nothing but follow as Jackie leaned back and found purchase again upon the wall, continuing to draw Ari in as she arched her back. The effect was an electricity Ari had only heard described in poetry, something she had never really understood. Even now she couldn’t fully express – or at least couldn’t do justice to – the pulse of energy and emotion that struck her in that moment. There was no frame of reference, no elegant prose capable of capturing –

If Ari had been a comic book character, a panel would have clearly shown wide, surprised eyes…accompanied by stylishly incorporated “!”

It was a natural progression, clearly. But the way that Jackie so unabashedly returned her affections; it was unlike anything Ari had ever experienced. It wasn’t that her former relationships had lacked passion, entirely…but they had all been slow-burning, nothing so suddenly and intensely…right.

It was that sort of thinking that usually sent Ari into a panic. Tonight, however, she simply melted.

Ari’s body pressed with weight against Jackie and her support, thrilled at the heat that she could feel from the woman’s skin despite their combined clothing. She moaned shamelessly as the blonde teasingly tasted her lips and nibbled upon her piercing.

Gods, she was fucked. She knew it. She knew it and she didn't care. At all.

A shiver of delight overtook her as Jackie withdrew her lips. And aftershock of sorts. Ari was dumbfounded, impaired in some degree, struggling to piece together what Jackie was saying to her.

Her focus sharpened quickly at the words:

”Take me home.”

Perhaps this would be the more appropriate moment for wide, surprised eyes and an “!”. That wasn’t the case, however.

”I want you to show me everything.”

“Of course. Anything you want.” Ari gave a soft, sincere smile. She rested her forehead against Jackie’s for a moment, reaching a hand over her own shoulder to intertwine their fingers. After a lingering moment of holding hands and eye staring Ari used her grip to gently guide Jackie’s arm from around her neck. Her mind was a swirl of thoughts, surprisingly none of them paranoid or pitfall-ie. “Let us take our leave,” Ari spoke smoothly as she moved to guide them through the nearest exit.

She might have been channeling a bit of Raab there. It was a thing. At least the persona was charming?

…And if all went well… Maybe Jackie could meet Raab. Directly. A thought that only occurred to Ari as their exit path crossed line of sight with the Lotus Eaters. It was probably only natural, for Ari to glance in their direction, curious if she could ditch undetected. Such was not her fate. Thankfully, though, none of her friends saw fit to disturb the two women as they left the bar.

“I’m so happy for her!” exclaimed Marja.

“Me too!” agreed Soren.

“I’m happy for me,” offered Milo.

He was offered puzzled glances.

“Scratch that. I’m happy for us.”

A short silence.

Sarah was the first to catch on. “Oh my god. You’re right!” She hailed the barely 21-year-old with a shot glass. “Raab isn’t going to be flipping shit at 4 am about we have to get online now! Hoorah for us!”

They all cheered and took shots.

All fun and games aside…

“…We all know that there is a serious psychological issue with the level of escapism Ari is committed to, right?” Marja was always the mother of the group.

A round of agreeance was given, a collection of nods and an ”uh-huh”. There wasn’t an easy solution, however, and so the night went on with other topics. And drinks!

=====

Fast Travel… To Queens, New York.

The storefront was…small. Ari hadn’t considered it with a critical eye before, but now as she tried to look at it as a newcomer might… As Jackie might…

The Lair was a corner section of a much larger building; the glass that gave a glimpse into Ari’s world was no wider than a double garage door. The interior was darkened, now, with only purposefully placed spotlights highlighting some of the store’s features. On the far right of the main window: a very intricately sewn Link costume (Twilight Princess version) clung loosely to a mens dress form, the trademark hat lain aside with gauntlets, displayed on a tilted crimson velvet stand near the tunic. At the base rested a Hylian Shield and a Master Sword. If one sought into the shadows they could also see other Zelda related props on a nearby bookshelf: a blue ocarina, some potion bottles, a metal and glass Triforce lamp… Another light focused behind the sale’s counter, which was halfway deep into the store, showing off a local artist’s rendition of Spider-Man. The canvas was 6’x10’, the lines bold and thick, the color vibrant. The style somewhat matched the store’s sign.

Above the wide and tall window panes was a banner-shaped sign upon a field of white. It read: the Lair. The first word was written in black, lowercase, and was cursive. The stroke that penned the word was heavy, much like the one that followed it. “Lair” was written in a serif font, bold, black lettering outlined in a blood red. On the edge of the sign was a sprawling toss of dice. A D20, D10, and D4, to be exact. The latter two dice were grey in color while the D20 was bright crimson (and 20-side up, one might note).

“My apartment is upstairs,” Ari explained.

“...So, then.” She took both of Jackie’s hands in hers, offering a smile. She tilted her head by the slightest degree as a playful smile came to her lips. “Where do you want everything to start?”
 
Last edited:
While the first kiss was everything Jackie wanted it be and more, the second was something else altogether. When Jackie finished her drink and drew Ari and herself back together there was shock that jolted straight through her frame. She shivered in delight, absolute rapture while her toes curled in her shoes. The answer to Jackie’s initial question, just what Ari’s beautiful lips tasted like, had been answered in spades. It was a thought that had lingered since the dark eyed beauty introduced herself. Now that Jackie had the answer it was almost too much to fully comprehend. Her mind simply couldn't wrap itself around it entirely, her lips were divine in their own right, coupled with the piercing and the way that Ari used them, it was something that Jackie had yet to experience but knew instantly that it was perfect. She could have kissed those ambrosia-laced petals for all eternity, the little whimper of a moan that trickled up from the back of her throat made that clear. But when Ari gave in fully and melted against her Jackie nearly lost it.

Jackie had always been in control of her body. Through sheer willpower she kept herself in check, unyielding to the distractions beautiful things could do to it. Ari nearly broke her, the moan she offered amidst that second kiss had her teetering on the edge. Yet before Jackie could fully let go they broke off, it wasn’t till then that she realized just how desperately she needed to breath. Her cheeks flushed, pupils slightly dilated, Jackie felt the intense emotions welling inside of her. An absurd little laugh came from her, so close to being a sob it was ridiculous. Those lips wanted to make her cry and laugh in the very same instant. Yet it was those eyes, richly dark and beautiful, that kept her in check. They shimmered with an intensity that Jackie felt resonating with the flutter in her chest. It was impossible that they shared a connect after just a few moments of talking and a lot more kissing? Ari felt perfect in her arms, her height, posture and the way she embraced her back just all clicked into place. The realization she didn’t even know Ari’s full name tickled at the back of her mind. She told the logical part of her brain to fuck off then and there. She knew she was royally fucked, that this girl was going to break her heart. But in that moment every fiber in her being told her it was worth it. Talk about fucked up.

Jackie had said things. She knew it because she felt her mouth moving, her voice vibrating up her throat and past her lips. But what came out hadn’t been filtered through her brain before she flung it out there in that half-demanding, half-begging manner. She was just as surprised with herself honestly, though the anticipation that made her chest and stomach flutter was all too addicting. She wanted more of it,wanted to feel what it would be like to burst because of it. That sincere smile Ari gave her made Jackie tremble. She returned it of course, though it was far too coy for one that had been up until now rather confident. The little nibble she added didn’t help it either.

Fingers interlaced, bodies separated and Jackie followed Ari down the rabbit hole. She didn’t think twice about where they were going or the fact that she hadn’t even seen Hannah yet and was already bailing. Didn’t matter. She was a work colleague at best. This moment meant so much more than anything work related, thought the workaholic.

Let us take our leave.

Whoa. Really? Who actually says shit like that? The voice tickled at the back of her senses. It was Rae again, crude and critical. Why would the devil on her shoulder keep at it even after Jackie gave into her desires? It was the devil, it was Rae, there was nothing more to say.

Who says stuff like that? Ari does. It felt her, suave in a ridiculous and endearing fashion. Jackie might have swooned given the chance, it left her blushing and feeling like the stupefied schoolgirl she had always hated. All Jackie could do was squeeze Ari’s hand tighter and follow a bit faster, getting closer and giggling conspiratorially.


The cold city air sobered Jackie up rather quickly. It was the moment she was trying so hard to not think about but ultimately had to. Needed to. She should have done it then in there. If not there, then in the cab on the ride there. Or standing outside the building in Queens. There are been so many opportunities that she could have used to broach the subject. But each time there was something to distract her, almost all of that was Ari. They had shared a few more kisses between the club and Ari’s shop, each time a little deeper, a little more passionate. Jackie had let herself get caught up in the moment, lost on the currents of something that felt right out of the pages of a silly romance novel. She hadn’t tried to define the moment beyond a simple hookup, though those dark eyes and smile hinted at so much more. Ari used her lips to tell all kinds of wondrous tales without saying a word, incredible things she wanted to do to her. Things Jackie wanted so very badly have done to her and do to Ari in turn. Do onto others, right?

Another opportunity past as Jackie took in the atmosphere, her green eyes drawn to the painting and the sign instinctively. She studied each in turn, swiftly the gears turning as ideas came to mind that could easily improve the vibe and flow of just about everything. It was just natural for her, something she enjoyed and got paid money to do. But as much as she wanted to offer her two cents she thought better. Digging into another person’s business seemed more of a 3rd day kind of thing. She had other pressing issues at hand anyway. Everything else more or less hinged on it. Now Jackie felt the gnawing fluttering in her stomach unbearable, the shadow of doubt crossing her face and a reluctance slowed her step.

“Ari,” Jackie started, though the name was lost in the still air, barely a whisper that made it out of the back of her throat. She lost her voice momentarily, enough that it wasn’t noticeable. Ari seemed to do just that. Her smile said that much, the playful tone and head tilt made her start to melt all over again. But the words were what drove the point home, or at least straight into her heart. Jackie tightened her grip on Ari’s hand, refusing to let go. It had a certain desperation to it that up until then hadn’t been characteristic. Jackie tugged and slowed their pace to a sudden stop. In the partial darkness Jackie felt safe, her face lost in the shadow of a bookcase. It made it harder to read her face, harder to see how those green eyes shimmered and how she repeatedly swallowed as her throat tightened. It was a moment she didn’t want to have, the very idea of having to explain your identity to every was an exhausting process in and of itself. With the added benefit of unpredictability in how the other party would take it only added to the dread. Jackie had been here far too many times, the most recent leaving a wound that hadn’t yet fully scabbed over. She could still see the look in the last girl’s eyes when she told her the truth.

Of course Ari hadn’t meant her question in the way Jackie was thinking. It didn’t help any so Jackie just took a breath and tightened her grip further.

“I want to start at the truth,” She began, her voice light, wavering for just a moment. As difficult as it was Jackie wasn’t going to let herself lose it. She cleared her throat, closed her eyes and took a deep cleansing breath. When she exhaled her green eyes flicked open fully and held Ari intently. There was a seriousness on her face that hadn’t been there before, though there was no hiding what played out in those green depths.

“You plainly stated your intentions from the get go. So did I. But I’ve not been entirely upfront with you,” Jackie started, knowing that she had to keep going or she wouldn’t have the strength to start up again. “I’m not going to beat around the bush. Don’t take my hesitation as shame.” She added, a bit to protectively.

“I’m a Transgender Woman,’ Jackie said firmly, her tone emphasizing the word woman. “You needed to know before we...I mean...if...” She cracked, the words falling past her lips brokenly as her courage started to falter. She didn’t want to see that look again, not in Ari’s beautiful dark eyes. But she ultimately expected the worst. That’s how it typically turned out.
 
Concern was clearly upon Ari’s face as her blonde companion gripped her hand more tightly and spoke of truth. It became even more so when Jackie paused, closed her eyes, and took a deep breath. The seriousness in the gorgeous woman’s expression was evident, even before she reopened her eyes and focused her sight squarely upon Ari. In the meantime the 30-year-old had found some dumbfounded zen that allowed her not make a guessing game of where this conversation was headed.

She listened patiently to Jackie’s voice, her expression softening as the spoken-of truth was revealed. It was an amazing relief: for a moment Ari had thought something serious was afoot. While she wanted it to be clear to Jackie that it was of no concern for her…she didn’t want to say something stupid that implied she didn’t care. It doesn’t matter, was the phrase that came to mind. But…it did matter. No doubt it had been some profound personal struggle for Jackie and Ari knew better than to brush it off so carelessly.

So instead of speaking she just smiled and took a step closer to her companion. She released the grip of Jackie’s hand, reaching upwards with lightly parted digits. Her fingertips brushed against the other woman’s cheek, the curve of her hand eventually settling along the bend of Jackie’s jaw. Dark eyes drank in green. There was an unwavering intensity within her stare, an unspoken commitment to maintaining contact.

Ari kissed her, much differently than before. It was tender and reassuring. The press of her lips remained for the better half of a minute before she withdrew. Even then, as soon as the two made eye contact Ari’s mouth returned to Jackie’s, kissing her again but more greedily. Her grip shifted to the back of the blonde’s neck, where her hold gently but firmly drew Jackie deeper into their kiss. Her lips parted and her tongue sought attention, the engagement quickly as becoming as passionate those that proceeded it. Ari’s alternate hand brushed over Jackie’s hip, straying upwards after several moments; her touch confident as she slipped beneath the hem of the blonde woman’s t-shirt, seeking to feel the warmth of skin-to-skin. Her kiss had escalated, all tenderness had melted away to the flames of sheer desire. Despite a distaste for vulgar displays in public (which making out was not, but groping was), Ari could not stop her hand from continuing to slide upwards. She stopped only after her fingertips had memorized the feel of Jackie’s skin from stomach to ribcage, her touch halting at the material of Jackie’s bra.

Ari had to pull away. She was going to maul Jackie, do totally inappropriate things in front of her own store. It was one thing to fuck outside, in general. It was another thing entirely to fuck in public at a place you frequent, where people would clearly recognize you. Voyeurism did nothing for Ari: she would just be mortified.

“I think…” Ari spoke between heated breaths. “That we should start in my apartment.”

She didn’t wait for a reply. Her hand was upon Jackie’s, practically dragging her past the Lair’s storefront windows, towards a door forty feet inwards along the brick building. Once there she released Jackie’s hand, her attention shifting to fumble with her keys. They were clipped to a beltloop of her skirt and tucked inside the band at the waist. Flipping the keys out didn’t pose much of a problem, but unclipping them did.

Her hands were trembling. Ari decided she could play it off as being cold – she had, after all, left her jacket at the table with her friends (hopefully one of those bastards would pick it up…) – but she knew the shiver was more akin to nerves. She wasn’t nervous, but… The elation that she felt in the moment was enough to cause her to tremble. Hopefully Jackie wouldn’t notice.

But, as Ari freed the keys from her beltloop and moved to unlock the door…it was painfully obvious. After several seconds of her managing to miss the keyhole she gave a nervous laugh and vocalized her cover-up. “Kinda cold out here. I left my jacket at the bar…probably one of my friends will pick it up for me.” She successfully used the key for its intended purpose. “Not that I’m worried,” she added with a smile, opening the door wide and offering Jackie to cross the threshold first.

Ahead of them was a stairwell. It was narrow, but not suffocating-ly so. Railing was present on the right hand side, comprised of a thick beam of red-stained oak, fastened to the wall with black hardwear. The walls were painted a light-to-medium grey and the ascension was decorated with a variety of gaming and comic posters, all hosted in cheap frames. No doubt the panes were made of plastic, just as the borders so obviously were. If one counted there were a total of 21 – ten on either side of the stairwell and one at the back-walled landing. A general theme belonged to MMO’s, Nintendo, Spider-Man, and J. Scott Campbell comic covers. The poster upon the back wall of the landing hosted Ari’s current game of choice, presently displaying Therandane: Adventurer’s Realm. The artwork didn’t show off the character designs, instead giving a wide-shot view of two castles. One was in the foreground, upon a still-distant hill, the other tucked away in the background, nestled at the mouth of a canyon. Both were surrounded by trees, a few forged dirt paths peaking out from gaps in the foliage. On the bottom left corner was a Legendary, Inc. logo, followed by a GMM stamp.

At the landing the women would find a door to their left. Ari’s apartment had a private entrance, so there was no hallway: just a landing roughly 6’ deep. There were no furnishings or embellishments other than the poster.

The door wasn’t locked and so Ari didn’t have to go through another torturous key experience. She opened the door and led Jackie inside, flipping a switch as she came into the entryway, lighting up the living room.

The place was sizable given that it was an apartment in New York but it was far from lavish. The entryway was just big enough for one to kick off their shoes and hang their jacket, an open wall offering a path to the living room. The place was open concept, so upon entering the apartment one could see beyond the main living space and into the kitchen and dining room. A double tiered 15’ island separated the spaces. The kitchen appeared to be updated, with sleek gunmetal-blue cupboards (some of them with smoked glass inserts) and white marble countertops. Ari pursed her lips at the sight of mail piles and random junk strewn about the island and dining room table… She hadn’t expected company so she hadn’t cleaned up. (Which, let’s be honest, would’ve been a matter of moving mail and junk out of sight…maybe squirreled away in one of the island’s cupboards.) Ari’s apartment was otherwise clean, save for a few rinsed dishes sitting next to the kitchen sink.

Ari’s eyes fell on the ottoman in front of an oversized dark blue chair. Upon it was a silver tray, the edges upturned roughly an inch, elongated holes on the shorter sides. It was a serving tray, but upon it was not cold beverages for guests. No. Ari had left her stash out. She had a moment of hesitation. Should she go put it away? It wasn’t like Jackie wouldn’t see what she was doing, if she did. Scrambling to hide it probably spoke volumes more than just ignoring that she had left out a glass spoon and some weed.

She turned on her heel to face Jackie. Ari once again took the other woman’s hands, her fingers gently working their way to intertwine.

“I appreciate that you told me the truth,” Ari spoke, finally having enough time to construct her words on the matter. “And if you want to talk about who you are and the journey I am more than happy to listen.” She paused a moment. “But, know this now: I accept you. Without further dialogue. We only have to talk about it if you want to talk about it. When you want to talk about it.”

She grinned devilishly. “To be honest I’m hoping it can wait, because…” She removed a hand from its hold, her sight panning downwards as she walked the pair of fingers up Jackie’s midriff. Briefly, she nibbled on her lip piercing. As her hand approached that perfect chest her sight returned to Jackie’s. “…I’m very interested in showing you everything.”
 
Jackie was going to have to remember to never play poker with Ari. How she managed to keep a straight face in that moment was beyond her, Jackie was so wrapped up in the moment she felt every tiny vibration throughout her body. Ever twinge, every tremble, every heartbeat, it was maddening and it all showed clearly upon her beautiful visage. The moment between Jackie finishing her sentence and Ari reacting felt like an agonizing eternity. She watched seasons pass, the world wither and die around them before being reborn lush, green and ripe. Perhaps she was just projecting the feelings swelling within her, with the truth she spoke moments before she felt the fledgling...whatever this was...wither and turn to dust in the biting cold. She knew the reaction, the twitch of the eyebrows, the confusion, the anger and resentment.

What Ari gave her instead was the first bloom of Spring. It was a smile Jackie didn’t think she’d ever forget, etched into her memory with a searing intensity that stole her breath. How one simple look could so profoundly affect her made Jackie question her own sanity. It was just too good to be true, nothing ever felt so easy and right. Jackie bared a part of her soul and Ari embraced it without flinching.

The step taken closer brought Jackie’s attention wholly to those beautiful dark eyes. She had been so caught up in the smile she somehow managed to forget about them. By then it was too late, Ari’s fingertips brushed against her cheek, her jawline and made Jackie visibly shiver in unadulterated delight. If there had ever been a kiss that stole her breath away it was this one. It was the kind that poets wrote about and failed tragically to capture. No earthly words were appropriate for it. Once more Jackie felt like she wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. Her throat tightened and all she could do was tilt her head and melt into that kiss. Ari lead it whole heartedly, Jackie let herself get lost in that moment just as she had her doubt and concern seconds before. It ended all too quickly, Jackie sucked in a whimpering breath as Ari drew back and their eyes flicked open once again. That was all it took, green met brown and their lips were pressed flush against one another all over. But where the first had been so tender as to bring her near tears, this one had an underlying greed that Jackie felt as a tangible tremble that raced through her completely. A hand at the base of her skull, the other on her hip, Jackie let out nothing short of an endearing moan against those sweet lips and returned the all consuming passion. Her hands first sought Ari’s own, though they were currently occupied so she settled for brushing them up her bare forearms, to her upper arms and settling on her shoulders. As much as she wanted to let her hands roam, all Jackie found she could do was bunch Ari’s shirt in both fists and hold on for dear fucking life.

The fingertips up her side, the confidence behind the touch as arousing as the touch itself. Goose flesh danced in the wake of Ari’s fingers, her otherwise silken soft skin warm to the touch, a rather big contrast to the cool night air. Jackie let out a soft rumbling moan against Ari’s lips, by then they were parted and her tongue slipped out against hers. Jackie tilted her head further to the side, deepening the kiss as she lured Ari’s tongue into her mouth, a erotic dance that was forever changing its pace. The desire returned with force and if Ari hadn’t of stopped them Jackie had no doubt that things would have gotten all too voyeuristic. As much as Jackie was against pda in general, she would have gladly continued without concern for who might see them or who’s business they were standing in front of. It was easy to do from her side at least, it wasn’t her business, her neighborhood, her neighbors.

“I think you’re right,” Jackie whispered breathlessly against Ari’s lips. The look on her face spoke volumes. They’d best take it inside before Jackie took it to the next level. But Ari was already moving, their hands slipped together and Jackie was dragged bodily along to a nearby door. She giggled loudly as she followed, watching the way Ari’s skirt fluttered about her thighs as she moved. She fumbled with the keys for far too long, enough that Jackie noticed and drew in behind her. She engulfed the girl in her arms, as best as she could. She was still wearing her own jacket, not that it would provide much warmth to another but it was the sentiment that counted.

“I’ll warm you up,” Jackie said teasingly into Ari’s ear. Her hands brushed out over her hips, fingertips teasing at the hemline of her T-shirt. But before Jackie could get all touchy feely Ari had the door opened and swinging open. She smiled back at her as she passed the threshold, only to wait nearby for Ari to accompany her. For the moment she let herself get distracted by the art that hung from the walls. She was herself an artist and certain styles always caught her eye. She passed familiar logos and characters, her green eyes shot from poster to poster quickly.

“I always liked Danger Girl,” She commented with a brief smile. They came upon the landing and Jackie took in the poster of the game Therandane. The name was vaguely familiar, she wasn’t sure why, though her eyes were drawn more to the Legendary, Inc. logo. Why was that familiar? Slender brows furrowed as the gears slowly started to turn. At the very threshold of remembrance, Jackie had the thought stolen back into the mists as Ari opened the second door and drew her inside. She gladly forgot all about it as entered. As they passed the entryway Jackie paused long enough to slip off her purple shoes and shrug off her jacket. She promptly hung it without a second thought, displaying two distinct things. One was the way in which she hung the jacket and arranged her shoes. Both shoes faced the door and were lined up perfectly side by side, all done with little nudges of her toes. Her jacket hung from the hook by the intended loop, not sloppily tossed onto it. Those counted as one and were easy enough to miss.

The thing that no doubt caught Ari’s attention was her ink. Her right arm from bicep to a few inches before her wrist was dominated by an intricate sleeve. The design and placement made it impossible to see when wearing long sleeves, which was the very reason it ended where it did. The design itself was a chaotic mix of bold, black lines. From afar it seemed more maddening scribbles than purposeful design. Closer inspection revealed the shape of a tree experiencing every season at once. It swept from vibrant and in bloom on one side to gnarled and dying, only to wrap completely around and start all over again. The roots ended abruptly a few inches before her wrist, the branches stretching up her arm to her shoulder. At present the branches and part of the trunk were hidden by the short sleeves of her v-neck shirt.

Green eyes swept over the apartment as sock covered feet padded lightly over the carpet. It was of impressive size given the real estate. Jackie worked often enough in New York to have given thought of having a place of her own in the city, but it ended up being cheaper to live out of a hotel room. Her mind didn’t linger on the price tag though, she took in the space and flow of the room, the placement of the island and the separation of kitchen, living room and dining area. She caught sight of the clutter, which instinctive held her attention briefly. There was a basic urge to do something with those piles reared its ugly head. But they stayed far enough away that Jackie didn’t have to give it much thought, out of sight out of mind. Besides, the silver tray on the nearby ottoman held something far more interesting. To say Jackie was familiar with weed was an understatement. She considered Rae Savage to be a close friend, probably the closest she had and the rough and tumble girl smoked pot like most people smoked cigarettes. Her younger sister, Jules, happen to have a rather curious connection to some incredibly good stuff too. Hr bottom lip was drawn between her teeth to nibble as her gaze settled on the familiar sight. The thought of a relaxing hit or two was all too welcome, not that Jackie was nervous or anything but it couldn’t hurt.

But with the interlacing of their fingers Jackie’s attention was solely brought back to Ari in the blink of an eye. She met her gaze as Ari spun on her heel, meeting those beautiful dark eyes with a smile. Words finally came, not that Jackie felt she needed them at this point. Her expression and reaction had said far more than she could have hoped. Yet the vocalization of it touched her heart all over again. Her smile wavered if only because she tried to control the emotions. She didn’t have the right words to express the feelings of gratitude and joy, so she took a step from Ari’s own playbook and leaned in for a kiss. It was brief and feather light but enough to make Jackie’s lips tingle.

“Thank you,” She whispered against her lips. That was it, that was all she needed to take it all and put it to the side. Nothing had changed between them, there was still the very obvious physical attraction. Though Jackie had a feeling it was far more than just physical at this point. Or part of her hoped.

Ari’s hands were upon her again, over her midriff, making her shiver and squirm in delectation. She laughed, a low and contagious chortle that made her smile widen further. She was downright impish as her hands slid up Ari’s forearms once more and quiet suddenly snatched up the hem of her shirt.

“I want to see everything you have to offer...starting here,” Jackie moved so quickly. She tugged at Ari’s shirt, pushing herself closer to urgently tug the article of clothing over her head. No more games, no more waiting. As Ari tried to do the same Jackie made the moment even more of a cluster by kissing her. They met the nearby wall, Jackie pressed Ari against it and hungrily pressed her lips to hers. She tugged and pulled at the same time, only breaking away to let her shirt be drawn up and over her head. Her perfectly tousled haired nearly stood on end as it ended up being messed up far more than anticipated. It was wild and chaotic and if the stupid grin on her face was any indication she didn’t give two shits about it. Jackie stood half bare before Ari, more hints of ink showing, a humming bird on her shoulder, revealed. Otherwise her skin was deathly white, silken smooth and unblemished. The only thing between them now a dark gray Calvin Klein crop top. Jackie’s cheeks burned with a rosy glow as the realization started to settle in that this moment was coming ahead full steam. Reluctant? No way. Excited beyond measure? Fuck yeah. That very excitement was starting to show in ways she had no control over. No amount of padding or spandex or denim could keep her visibly contained.
 
Back
Top