Old 01-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
suboots
Virgin

Keep losing my text

I have started a story three times, saved it to draft and each time when I have returned to it everything has gone. Anybody have ideas as to what it is I am doing wrong?

Old 01-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
oggbashan
Ancient writer

We need more information.

Are you using Word, or Notepad, or what?

Perhaps you should be saving as a file, not a draft.

Oggbashan's long list of stories
Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.

ďThe inimitable stories of Tong-King never have any real ending, and this one, being in his most elevated style, has even less end than most of them. But the whole narrative is permeated with the odour of joss-sticks and honourable high-mindedness, and the two characters are both of noble birth.Ē
― Ernest Bramah, Wallet of Kai Lung

Old 01-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
NotWise
Snipe hunter

I've never used drafts that way, so I went in and tried it. It worked fine, but the first time I tried it I didn't fill in the entire submission form and it didn't go through. I was at the bottom of the page at the "submit draft" button and the error messages appeared at the top of the page out of view. I had to scroll up to find them.

Are you sure you're filling the entire submission form? Does the number of drafts in the list increment after you submit the draft?

My personal favorites are The Third Ring and Oscar's Place.
My most recent story is Pixie in the Rain.
Next up is "Her Bodyguard," a brother/sister tale for the Valentine's Day contest

Old 01-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

It's impossible to answer without details about what you are doing.

It sounds like you are drafting the story in the draft box. You should draft your story offline and save it as a Word file, or in some format like that. It is very easy to save and preserve your story this way. When the story is done, upload it.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
suboots
Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
I've never used drafts that way, so I went in and tried it. It worked fine, but the first time I tried it I didn't fill in the entire submission form and it didn't go through. I was at the bottom of the page at the "submit draft" button and the error messages appeared at the top of the page out of view. I had to scroll up to find them.

Are you sure you're filling the entire submission form? Does the number of drafts in the list increment after you submit the draft?
Thanks NotWise, I think that may be what I have done wrong.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
My I
Really Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by suboots View Post
I have started a story three times, saved it to draft and each time when I have returned to it everything has gone. Anybody have ideas as to what it is I am doing wrong?
Are you using the site's submission page to write it and saving it as a draft there? I'm a little confused.

You may know a thing that is not true. But in understanding there can be ONLY truth.
If you truly want to understand you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea.

The Truth is in the Contrast

And Stuff

Fate is just what you call it when you donít know the name of the person screwing you over.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by My I View Post
Are you using the site's submission page to write it and saving it as a draft there? I'm a little confused.
Looks like it:

Quote:
Thanks NotWise, I think that may be what I have done wrong.
Draft off-line and then submit, is probably the more sensible thing to do. I dread to think of the edit quality if someone did their raw copy in the draft box...

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

Old 01-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #8
RejectReality
Literotica Guru

If you're using Internet Explorer, don't.

There are numerous bugs with the new control panel in IE that don't happen in any other browser, and the vanishing story text bug is one of them.

Grab Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or something else and use those for Lit.

Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Quite Neighborly

09/14/17
Overdue

09/28/17
Hot Shorts

11/22/17
Holly Jolley Christmas

12/05/17
Unleashed

01/17/18

Old 01-15-2018, 11:41 PM   #9
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Is there an up-to-date list somewhere of known bugs?

Next up is "Her Bodyguard," a brother/sister tale for the Valentine's Day contest

Old 01-16-2018, 04:18 AM   #10
Manu
Just A Lonely 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
Do you think this behavior should be changed? We could allow Drafts to be saved without all required fields being filled in I think.
ee1

Old 01-16-2018, 04:45 AM   #11
RubenR
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
Do you think this behavior should be changed? We could allow Drafts to be saved without all required fields being filled in I think.
It would make sense--a draft doesn't have to be complete--but such modifications don't have to be high on the 'To Do' list.

Personally, I don't see the added value for saving drafts. I make sure I have everything ready before I start entering it on the website. Once I have filled in all the fields, I do click on 'Save', just to make sure I won't have to do it all again if something might go wrong in the following steps.

I do use the opportunity to check the story before finally submitting it, but if something doesn't look good, I make the changes in my off-line document first, and then copy-paste it again.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #12
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
I think it would be a good change. I have used "Drafts" to set up everything then take a little time to think about the tags and short description before I send it to Laurel. As it is now I need to put in place holders for those items that I only intend to replace later.

On the other hand this isn't a big deal. You probably have higher priorities.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #13
astuffedshirt_perv
Literotica Guru

Quote:
OH GOD NO!!!!! A sure fire way to drive the quality of stories down. Compose, edit, edit, re edit and edit again offline, then (paste and) submit.

My stories: A Stuffed Shirt Perv

Achieved Lovecraf68's coveted "That's the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard" status in Nov 2013

Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #14
My I
Really Really Experienced

I think it's best to leave it as is. Any computer has some sort of text editor. You can write a story any length you want on Windows Notepad. Save it on your own computer and you at least have some record that you actually wrote it. If you write it all saved online only, where is your provinance?

You may know a thing that is not true. But in understanding there can be ONLY truth.
If you truly want to understand you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea.

The Truth is in the Contrast

And Stuff

Fate is just what you call it when you donít know the name of the person screwing you over.

Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #15
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

Quote:
I think it's best to leave it as is. Any computer has some sort of text editor. You can write a story any length you want on Windows Notepad. Save it on your own computer and you at least have some record that you actually wrote it. If you write it all saved online only, where is your provinance?
I'd recommend the addition of JARTE, which puts a load of useful stuff on top of Windows Notepad. And it's free !

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM   #16
RejectReality
Literotica Guru

Some people probably don't want any evidence of their writing on their personal systems. Drafts are a perfect solution for that, combining the place where you write and post into one.

Quote:

Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Quite Neighborly

09/14/17
Overdue

09/28/17
Hot Shorts

11/22/17
Holly Jolley Christmas

12/05/17
Unleashed

01/17/18

Old Today, 06:52 AM   #17
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handley_Page View Post
I'd recommend the addition of JARTE, which puts a load of useful stuff on top of Windows Notepad. And it's free !
I quite agree. CuteHTHL was a decent uber-Notepad but Jarte is superior and includes the very useful standalone WordWeb dictionary-thesarus app. Jarte is my go-to editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RejectReality View Post
Some people probably don't want any evidence of their writing on their personal systems. Drafts are a perfect solution for that, combining the place where you write and post into one.
For safety, be sure to clear cookies, history, anything that could point to LIT.

Old Today, 10:15 AM   #18
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

You can find JARTE here:-
http://www.jarte.com/
It saves files as .RTF, which is very convenient.

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259