Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Poetry Feedback & Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 08-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #301
greenmountaineer
Literotica Guru
 
greenmountaineer is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzara View Post
The Five Senses Challenge is rocking right now--good poems by Angie and Remec and a really superb one by greenmountaineer.

Perhaps it's my fondness for the doomed city of Carthage, but gm's poem strikes me as being really, really good. (Though it needs some editing. Here, for example:
With a desert storm fast approaching,
the young brides hastened their work
who would [be?] allowed the ornate breastplates,
I also would have liked footnotes to explain some of the terms. I found hastati, but not Sahbi, so I was left a little confused by that.

Still, a really superior poem, by a really superior poet.
That's nice of you to say, Tzara. Sahbi is a made up name for Hadl's deceased husband. This is one where my use of proper nouns got the better of me. ""a husband" would have prevented confusion.

I struggled whether or not to include "hasati," which is the plural Latin word for the lowest of Roman foot soldiers because it sounded like a word from whatever language the Carthaginians spoke, but the alternative "legionnaire" didn't sound right to me.

Last edited by greenmountaineer : 08-26-2017 at 07:10 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #302
greenmountaineer
Literotica Guru
 
greenmountaineer is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,331
I’m looking forward to this, Neo, and have begun assembling some.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #303
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore
 
UnderYourSpell's Avatar
 
UnderYourSpell is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 14,722
Well I have the title!
__________________
Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #304
GuiltyPleasure
AWTSS
 
GuiltyPleasure's Avatar
 
GuiltyPleasure is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: eyes on the prize
Posts: 14,075
Phew, Carrie! *fans*

Birthday Feast
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #305
champagne1982
Dangerous Liaison
 
champagne1982's Avatar
 
champagne1982 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
Phew, Carrie! *fans*

Birthday Feast
A girl's gotta eat. 😎
__________________
Get Carrie'd away.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #306
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore
 
UnderYourSpell's Avatar
 
UnderYourSpell is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 14,722
Ooops am I supposed to put it in here?
__________________
Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #307
Piscator
Literotica Guru
 
Piscator's Avatar
 
Piscator is offline
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 776
Sorry misunderstanding
__________________
Piscator

Something's fishy here

Last edited by Piscator : 10-10-2017 at 10:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #308
Neonurotic
Share some skin
 
Neonurotic's Avatar
 
Neonurotic is offline
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Venice of Japan
Posts: 1,364
Hey all, just edit my OP on The Poem Scrapbook Challenge thread for clarification about it being a "scrapbook" (10 poem series) of newly written poems.

Sorry for the confusion.


One other note, please direct general commentary to this thread. Thanks!
__________________
• Neo Classic • Subs • • • • •• • • • •
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2017, 12:25 AM   #309
Angeline
Poet Chick
 
Angeline's Avatar
 
Angeline is offline
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Jazzonia
Posts: 25,887
Tzara, you clever fellow, your Wittgenstein series is great fun to read and puzzle out (a puzzle for me, anyway lol). And you're stretching the triolet form in such interesting ways. I like the near rhymes and word repetitions. Except for this from your second poem:


thoughts thought in solitude up north

I no like that second "thought." That's three ths in one short line. I feel like I'm lispthing. Yeah I know...firth draft and all...


~~~~~~~
And on a housekeeping note to all the poets, if you commented in the thread--however briefly--I moved it here per Neo's request that the challenge thread is for poems only. That is all. You all get s too and my best wishes that we all become inspired enough to try the challenge. (I keep discarding ideas, myself.)

Oh Neo I remember that you wanted us to write 100 poems in 100 days. LOL.
__________________
Terry

Poems
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #310
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore
 
UnderYourSpell's Avatar
 
UnderYourSpell is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 14,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline View Post
Tzara, you clever fellow, your Wittgenstein series is great fun to read and puzzle out (a puzzle for me, anyway lol). And you're stretching the triolet form in such interesting ways. I like the near rhymes and word repetitions. Except for this from your second poem:


thoughts thought in solitude up north

I no like that second "thought." That's three ths in one short line. I feel like I'm lispthing. Yeah I know...firth draft and all...


~~~~~~~
And on a housekeeping note to all the poets, if you commented in the thread--however briefly--I moved it here per Neo's request that the challenge thread is for poems only. That is all. You all get s too and my best wishes that we all become inspired enough to try the challenge. (I keep discarding ideas, myself.)

Oh Neo I remember that you wanted us to write 100 poems in 100 days. LOL.
It matters not where you put it, nobody answered anyway! So where am I supposed to post them? Tzara's are in the thread, mine are separate.
__________________
Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #311
Angeline
Poet Chick
 
Angeline's Avatar
 
Angeline is offline
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Jazzonia
Posts: 25,887
Actually there were a few non-poem responses in the thread, not just yours. Neo explains in his first post in the challenge thread that you should post each poem as a separate post in the thread. He just prefers that comments not also be in the thread. If you want, you can repost your poems in his thread and I'll move your thread off the forum. Or you can keep them in your own thread here. Either way is fine. Just no comments in the poem thread!
__________________
Terry

Poems
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2017, 11:08 PM   #312
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore
 
UnderYourSpell's Avatar
 
UnderYourSpell is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 14,722
Can I start again please? I know you said no deleting but I haven't it's just I'm getting bogged down with grotty memories and it's doing me no good at all and probably boring the pants off the readers.
__________________
Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #313
HarryHill
Just Chilling
 
HarryHill's Avatar
 
HarryHill is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 7 miles from Backwater
Posts: 7,991
Thought I'd check the forum to see if y'all had a Halloween challenge, guess not.
__________________

Voyages II < finished at last

0 days accident free


"I'll never be a poet" - The Harry
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #314
Angeline
Poet Chick
 
Angeline's Avatar
 
Angeline is offline
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Jazzonia
Posts: 25,887
Champ you are burning up that 30/30 thread like an um supernova!
__________________
Terry

Poems
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #315
champagne1982
Dangerous Liaison
 
champagne1982's Avatar
 
champagne1982 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline View Post
Champ you are burning up that 30/30 thread like an um supernova!
Thanks Ange.

Neo, I know the poems for the scrapbook are supposed to be fresh poems and posted in the Scrapbook Challenge Thread but I really wanted to do a 30/30 this month. Are simultaneous (ie poems in both the 30/30 and 10 Scrapbook entries) scribbles acceptable? I assure you, all my 30/30s are written the day I post them and I am hoping to get 10 star themed poems out of this series. Enough rambling. Can I use the 3, soon to be 4, star poems to start my scrapbook and the 30/30 too?

Thanks Challenge CasaSupernova dude!
__________________
Get Carrie'd away.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #316
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore
 
UnderYourSpell's Avatar
 
UnderYourSpell is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 14,722
Does it ever make you despondent and less likely to bother, that nobody takes the trouble to comment on new poems these days? I'd rather I got slammed than be ignored! it wouldn't let me comment today without signing in (although I was already signed in for commenting on the forum!) and I couldn't remember my password so asked for it to be sent .......... it didn't arrive. Had to take a stab in the dark and finally got there!
__________________
Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2017, 12:09 AM   #317
champagne1982
Dangerous Liaison
 
champagne1982's Avatar
 
champagne1982 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderYourSpell View Post
Does it ever make you despondent and less likely to bother, that nobody takes the trouble to comment on new poems these days? I'd rather I got slammed than be ignored! it wouldn't let me comment today without signing in (although I was already signed in for commenting on the forum!) and I couldn't remember my password so asked for it to be sent .......... it didn't arrive. Had to take a stab in the dark and finally got there!
I am glad you did, Annie. Thank you for commenting on my new offering. I wish Dear Gord had posted when I first subbed it since now, a month later some of the raw emotion has left us and Canada can breathe again.

There are around 5 Hip songs touched in that poem it was a pleasure to write
__________________
Get Carrie'd away.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #318
greenmountaineer
Literotica Guru
 
greenmountaineer is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,331
I thought the excerpt below written by Thomas Merton in 1949 was interesting. Merton was a monk who wrote about many spiritual topics and was a published poet:

The “best” poets are those who happen to succede in a way that flatters our current prejudice about what constitutes good poetry. We are very exacting about the standards that they have set up, and we cannot even consider a poet who writes in some other slightly different way, whose idiom is not quite the same. We do not read him. We do not dare to, for if we were discovered to have done so, we would fall from grace.

After reading several selections of the current issue of POETRY, I felt more confused than anything else. It struck me that the contributors were writing for a very select audience.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2017, 03:06 AM   #319
todski28
Literotica Guru
 
todski28 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmountaineer View Post
I thought the excerpt below written by Thomas Merton in 1949 was interesting. Merton was a monk who wrote about many spiritual topics and was a published poet:

The “best” poets are those who happen to succede in a way that flatters our current prejudice about what constitutes good poetry. We are very exacting about the standards that they have set up, and we cannot even consider a poet who writes in some other slightly different way, whose idiom is not quite the same. We do not read him. We do not dare to, for if we were discovered to have done so, we would fall from grace.

After reading several selections of the current issue of POETRY, I felt more confused than anything else. It struck me that the contributors were writing for a very select audience.
problem is, the idea and concept of poetry has been blurred to the point of being able to proclaim that this statement is the embodiment of the essence of potential and may be a poem.

the problem with the everyone gets a trophy generation, the problem with non qualitative reasoning behind writing, the problem with closing you mind to critique, but also those with the ability give up because not only is your effort to give feedback ignored but often met with vehement rejection, or a sense of apathy on behalf of the writer, so we get stuck in the "what do I get out of it column, despite the fact that critique brings out the best in the critiquer as well.

myself and poetry seem to have wandered off different paths for a bit, but I do miss the words.
__________________
todski28

As a favour to Tsotha
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2017, 07:27 PM   #320
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore
 
UnderYourSpell's Avatar
 
UnderYourSpell is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 14,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by todski28 View Post
problem is, the idea and concept of poetry has been blurred to the point of being able to proclaim that this statement is the embodiment of the essence of potential and may be a poem.

the problem with the everyone gets a trophy generation, the problem with non qualitative reasoning behind writing, the problem with closing you mind to critique, but also those with the ability give up because not only is your effort to give feedback ignored but often met with vehement rejection, or a sense of apathy on behalf of the writer, so we get stuck in the "what do I get out of it column, despite the fact that critique brings out the best in the critiquer as well.

myself and poetry seem to have wandered off different paths for a bit, but I do miss the words.
^^^^^ Wot 'e said
__________________
Blessed are the cracked for it is they that let in the light
They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient.
But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2017, 03:05 AM   #321
Angeline
Poet Chick
 
Angeline's Avatar
 
Angeline is offline
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Jazzonia
Posts: 25,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmountaineer View Post
I thought the excerpt below written by Thomas Merton in 1949 was interesting. Merton was a monk who wrote about many spiritual topics and was a published poet:

The “best” poets are those who happen to succede in a way that flatters our current prejudice about what constitutes good poetry. We are very exacting about the standards that they have set up, and we cannot even consider a poet who writes in some other slightly different way, whose idiom is not quite the same. We do not read him. We do not dare to, for if we were discovered to have done so, we would fall from grace.

After reading several selections of the current issue of POETRY, I felt more confused than anything else. It struck me that the contributors were writing for a very select audience.
I've thought a lot about this over the years as I've seen different styles prevail in the magazines and journals. And if I read enough of it, the questions arise "Am I supposed to write like that? Or that? Or that?" I know from personal experience that trying to get published if one's writing style doesn't fit the modern criterion for good poetry is pretty frustrating. You really have to work to find the publications that mesh with your particular style (and um the poems have to be good lol). But the important takeaway, at least for me, is that I need to write my way and stay true to the poet's voice I've developed, whether I get published or not. I walk my own, perhaps peculiar, path and just keep trying to learn and adapt what I learn to my way of writing, let it evolve that way. Like most of us here, I write poems because I need to express myself that way. If I think I'm learning and improving my writing that's good enough for me!
__________________
Terry

Poems
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #322
pelegrino
Literotica Guru
 
pelegrino's Avatar
 
pelegrino is offline
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 985
Open E

Scrapbook Poem challenge
Angeline 1-3

*
You spent the whole night strumming E
I watched a nest of Robin's eggs,
blue speckled on a canvas three
while you were ever strumming E
singing it, too, just endlessly--
a night that crept on quiet legs
except, of course, for lots of E
as I loked at the Robin's eggs.

I rather like this one for setting. Nice one Angy!
It should work fine on an open tuning of E-B-E-G#-B-E (I copied to try)

Last edited by pelegrino : 12-11-2017 at 05:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #323
Angeline
Poet Chick
 
Angeline's Avatar
 
Angeline is offline
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Jazzonia
Posts: 25,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelegrino View Post
Scrapbook Poem challenge
Angeline 1-3

*
You spent the whole night strumming E
I watched a nest of Robin's eggs,
blue speckled on a canvas three
while you were ever strumming E
singing it, too, just endlessly--
a night that crept on quiet legs
except, of course, for lots of E
as I loked at the Robin's eggs.

I rather like this one for setting. Nice one Angy!
It should work fine on an open tuning of E-B-E-G#-B-E (I copied to try)
Thank you Pel! And now I want to hear it! Feel free to post a sound link, maybe in the Let's Hear It thread?

It is a memory and one of my friends still has the painting of the robin's eggs. Too bad I made that typo in the last line. Damn my eyes!
__________________
Terry

Poems
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #324
Piscator
Literotica Guru
 
Piscator's Avatar
 
Piscator is offline
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 776
What makes a poem popular?

Vivid images seem to be the key although there are exceptions.
__________________
Piscator

Something's fishy here
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2018, 10:07 PM   #325
Piscator
Literotica Guru
 
Piscator's Avatar
 
Piscator is offline
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 776
Giving Tzara's almost buried thread a bump.

Good to see 007's & 5 senses are on again.
__________________
Piscator

Something's fishy here
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:21 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.