Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

View Poll Results: Please read the first post in the thread for full info before choosing!
Spring is in the Air 25 32.47%
April Fool's 28 36.36%
Historical Erotica Contest 10 12.99%
Game Day 1 1.30%
New Beginnings 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2014, 04:32 AM   #1
Laurel
Kitty Mama

New Spring Contest Poll

Hello authors, and hope you're having a great summer!

In this thread, we asked you for suggestions for a Earth Day contest replacement. You came up with some wonderful ideas which have been narrowed down to 5 possible themes:

~Spring is in the Air: Would include "March Madness," April Fool's, May Day, Easter, Passover, Cinco de Mayo, Mother's day, Spring Breaks, Spring Flings, etc....

~April Fool's: Stories (humorous or otherwise) of surprise meetings, humor, tricks, trick endings, and other themes of deception, chance, and/or misunderstandings (happy or otherwise).

~Historical Erotica Contest: Would include time travel tales as well as stories taking place anytime/anywhere prior to the current year.

~Game Day: Stories about games, sports or that are, themselves a "game" the reader plays while reading them.

~New Beginnings: stories about trying or doing anything new. First meetings, first times, first steps on a journey, first lessons, etc.

Now, we'd like you to choose the theme you think would make the best basis for next year's contest.

As already stated: do know that this is a test run. Whichever theme is chosen in the polls will be the theme for next spring's contest. After that contest, we can all discuss it and see how it goes. It could become another staple Special Contest - like Summer Lovin' has - or we could try another idea the following year if there's a shared feeling that you'd like to try another idea.

This poll will remain open for 60 days, so feel free to take your time and think about the themes, as well as discussing them with each other in this thread, before choosing.

Thanks again, and Happy Voting!

Old 08-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru

I think when this was discussed on a thread last year I suggested April Fool's Day so I'll reaffirm that here, could be a lot of fun and would work well with any category.

But if not that one, I'd be much happier than with any of the other choices in place of Earth Day

Old 08-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Spring as sprung and that covers a multitude of sins. The snow is over but the real heat ain't here yet. Works for me.

I ot two plot bunnies from what i wrote above.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

Spring is in the Air, for me!

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 08-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
HeyAll
Literotica Guru

Spring is in the Air!

It includes everything.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
JKendallDane
Plot Bunny Herder

While the "Historical Erotica" option is a very interesting idea, I think "Spring is in the Air" would generate the most activity as far as entries.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
49greg
Literotica Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKendallDane View Post
While the "Historical Erotica" option is a very interesting idea, I think "Spring is in the Air" would generate the most activity as far as entries.
What JKD said. I voted for "Spring is in the Air" for the same reason, I think it covers more subjects and will stand a better chance of getting more entries.

I would like to do a historical one someday, but heck, you could always do a spring story set in the past, or the future, ditto for an April Fool story.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
Cruel2BKind
Not Quite Here

Spring is in the air!

You could write April fools stories that still fit in that category, so almost everyone wins!

These be my stories, if you be interested!

Most are gay male, though I have two that are straight, and one that is a How to.

I tend to go for the darker stuff... But people seem to like it okay!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
Edward Teach
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyAll View Post
Spring is in the Air!

It includes everything.
What he said.

Awful Stories

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell

The problem with the Cons isnít that they donít know the truth, itís that they donít care about it.-- Me

Old 08-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyAll View Post
Spring is in the Air!

It includes everything.
Was a comment in another thread:

>> I can't understand why April Fool's has more votes. Spring is in the Air is broader and features more topics. It's more logical.

My response:

SPRING is more generic. FOOLS is more focused. SPRING can cover any fucking thing, so it's less a competition than yet another let's-submit-another-story opportunity. FOOLS demands a focus on foolishness or fooling or being fooled -- including fooling the reader.

FOOLS will be more competitive IMHO. It's like the difference between an AUTUMN contest and a HALLOWE'EN contest. A seasonal contest is just less of a challenge.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #11
Sammael Bard
Suit Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post

>> I can't understand why April Fool's has more votes. Spring is in the Air is broader and features more topics. It's more logical.

My response:

SPRING is more generic. FOOLS is more focused. SPRING can cover any fucking thing, so it's less a competition than yet another let's-submit-another-story opportunity. FOOLS demands a focus on foolishness or fooling or being fooled -- including fooling the reader.

FOOLS will be more competitive IMHO. It's like the difference between an AUTUMN contest and a HALLOWE'EN contest. A seasonal contest is just less of a challenge.
Well said! That's why I'm voting for April Fool's.

AH Profile
My Stories and Erotic Art

Bard's Hideout [Construction in full swing]
My Fav Theme Song

Old 08-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
xelliebabex
Weird Aussie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKendallDane View Post
Historical Era will probably get my vote but I agree that Spring will probably generate the most activity. Whether such a broad category is for the best or not is up to the individual

Old 08-23-2014, 07:36 AM   #13
Serafina1210
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoulfulBard View Post
Well said! That's why I'm voting for April Fool's.
I've never entered a contest. I voted for April Fools because I thought the challenge of writing something funny might tempt me to give it a try.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #14
StrangeLife
Literotica... something..

We could have an annual contest on the 20th of April - the birthday of Adolph Hitler.

Of course the stories should feature hot blonde uniformed German valkyries in leather boots ravishing captured allied soldiers and abusing them for nefarious sexual experiments....

My strange stories on Literotica.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #15
MatthewVett

I'd love a Historical Erotica contest. I think it would generate a lot of new ideas. No matter what the final choice is, though, I support any new contest.

My Blog

My Tumblr

Old 08-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
StrangeLife
Literotica... something..

September 19 - Fuck Like A Pirate Day contest.

The theme is of course savage freebooters plundering, pillaging and ravaging fair maidens all over the seven seas. Bonus points for writing in pirate-lingo...

My strange stories on Literotica.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #17
patientlee
I won't tell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLife View Post

The theme is of course savage freebooters plundering, pillaging and ravaging fair maidens all over the seven seas. Bonus points for writing in pirate-lingo...
I've been working on a little story in French. I'd be up for a write like a pirate challenge. (I would NOT read the stories though. Too much work.)

Literotica

Amazon

All Romance

patientlee.com

No longer accepting anonymous tips.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
xelliebabex
Weird Aussie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLife View Post

September is the first month of Spring in my part of the world, so if spring fling wins the poll you could do some Australian Pirates

Old 08-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
TE999
How 'bout a kiss, baby

My choice would be 'Spring is in the Air'. It seems to be the most broad and inclusive of the suggested categories. As the old saying goes: 'Hooray, hooray it's the first of May. Outdoor fucking starts today'.

Never be led astray into the paths of virtue.

Artists are misunderstood. Not by people, but by themselves.

Life is but active anguish in a context of flux.

"Popularity is not whether people like you, it's how many people would like you to like them." Anon.

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain (Samuel L. Clemens)

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." Ambrose Bierce

"When my ugly ol' car won't climb the hill, I'll write a suicide note on a hundred dollar bill." 'Heavy Fuel' Dire Straits

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun ..." 'Only the Good Die Young' Billy Joel

TE's stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 08-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
Hello Summer!

Well, look at that! I thought "Spring is in the Air" would be ahead, but it seems that April Fool's is getting the most votes. Hm. Wonder if we're getting voters from LW. That seems to be the entire category "April Fool's, Sweetheart...."

Old 08-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #21
voluptuary_manque
would-be omnigamist

I hate April Fool's jokes and want to punch the lights out of any fool who tries one on me so I wouldn't even bother to enter that one.

I like Spring is in the Air, too. If you wanted to pull an April Fool joke you could but others with a touchier sense of dignity could write a different one.

My stories

Mr. Vanilla Straight Guy--Safe_Bet

Donít know if I ever told you, but you were the first person I ďmetĒ on Lit. You invited me into Mollyís thread and made me feel at home. I really appreciated that. You also prolly know more about the ďdoingsĒ of our family than just about anybody else on Lit. Thatís cuz you care and are appreciated for being you.--posthumous message from Safe_Bet. And I still care and I still love her. Rest in the Light, Suzy.

You poor, deluded bear--glynndah

<div align=left><a href=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519ZReMcO1L._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-51,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg target=_blank>http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg</a></div>

Old 08-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #22
PennLady
Literotica Guru

I liked the idea of beginnings and first times, myself.

I suppose with April Fool's, the challenge would be for the author to make the reader wonder what/where the twist is.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #23
Sammael Bard
Suit Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post

My response:

What he said, 3113.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3113 View Post
Well, look at that! I thought "Spring is in the Air" would be ahead, but it seems that April Fool's is getting the most votes. Hm. Wonder if we're getting voters from LW. That seems to be the entire category "April Fool's, Sweetheart...."

AH Profile
My Stories and Erotic Art

Bard's Hideout [Construction in full swing]
My Fav Theme Song

Old 08-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #24
RejectReality
Literotica Guru

You're either going to have to choose challenge or participation. Those two things don't play nicely together.

And Spring is only generic if you choose to make it so. The specific events within the bounds of spring have been brought up several times, and many of them happen during or after the contest time frame. If those events are stressed in the contest announcement, it could very well produce a variety of stories targeted to specific themes.

Summer Lovin' suffers in this area because two of the biggies ( U.S. Independence Day and the first day of summer vacation ) are long gone by the time the contest starts.

Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Quite Neighborly

09/14/17
Overdue

09/28/17
Hot Shorts

11/22/17
Holly Jolley Christmas

12/05/17
Unleashed

01/17/18

Old 08-24-2014, 11:59 PM   #25
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RejectReality View Post
You're either going to have to choose challenge or participation. Those two things don't play nicely together.
I don't think these are the only choices. How about just writing what pleases you and putting it in the contest because the timing's right and the contest listing gives it a bit more promotion?