Wake for Byron: All that and a bag of chips...

Noor

Citizen of the World
Joined
Jan 7, 2003
Posts
30,295
Wake for Byron in Exile: All that and a bag of chips...

I was notified very early this morning that Byron in Exile was found dead, and although I already kind knew he was gone, it removed all hope. I hate that he died alone.

He would not approve of my outing us, even though he did it numerous times himself.
He felt that the GB would be mean to me if they knew I was connected to him.
I didn't think so, but if so, bring it on...

His postings, pms and emails were like parts of the elephant that the blind men felt, but were nowhere near the complete animal. Maybe when I am not feeling so devastated, have some distance and anyone is interested I will describe the Byron I knew.

Thank you to those who have pm-ed and called, I am sorry if I haven't responded.

And yes, from what I have been told he died fully dressed with his boots on.


Some favorite Byron threads:


H. L. Mencken
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=661857

Lillie Fortenbaugh
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=662478

Tombstone
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1048219

the words of Byron while in exile -
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=194191

There is something interesting about the views of people here
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1051311&highlight=byron

A humorous favorite of mine, "Does oxygen burn?"
http://forum.literotica.com/showthre...ighlight=Byron

A Latin Lesson-
http://forum.literotica.com/showthre...Amicus+Veritas

The Art of the Fugue
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=216102&highlight=Fugue

"D minor: the saddest of all keys."
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=467952&highlight=saddest

Dum Transisset Sabbatum
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=974323

Palestrina
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=330983

I have a Hamlet-buddy (a personal favorite of mine)
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=936833&highlight=hamlet

######
 
Last edited:
I think we'd all like to know the Byron you knew. After interacting here with him, I know nothing about him. I'm really sorry you're suffering and I'm sorry he's gone. You didn't give specifics of his passing or how you knew it was coming so I'm in the dark but my thoughts are with you.

:rose:
 
What the heck happened? I had no idea he might have been ill in any way.

Noor, I'm so sorry. You have my sincere condolences. :rose:
 
I'm sorry to hear this. I didn't really know him but I liked what I did know. What happened?
 
Garnate- we had some plans, but I couldn't reach him anywhere and I couldn't feel his presence anymore. I know that sounds strange but even though he seemed very random and capricious, he had patterns and they were off, really off. Also, I wasn't annoyed at him for being MIA, I was just kind of numb.

MS Ann Thorpe-this is real, he is gone. I wish he wasn't, I would give everything to turn back time and prevent this.

He was calm and happy when we last spoke, we discussed "stuff and things." There was nothing we needed to say to each other that we hadn't. We were lucky.
 
Last edited:
I had a sort of fun back and forth with Byron via email off and on, but we fell out of step when the pigtail pulling felt too much, but it really wasn't and I am an asshole for not reaching out to him earlier to tell him no hard feelings for our occasional dickishness to one another - was kindergarten shit. Such a loss, he was smart and odd and definitely interesting. I liked watching the two of you banter, noor, because it seemed as if you could quickly put his ass in place. His affinity for you poured through this board. Hold that tight, helps with the grieving.
 
I don't really know anyone around here anymore, and I've long since lost track of who's with whom, but Byron was always one of those people I thought I'd like in RL. I'll raise a glass to him tonight.

So sorry for your loss. :rose:
 
Thank you.

He wasn't ill, it was sudden and not intentional. He had health insurance for the first time in a decade and he never even had a chance to use it.
 
Last edited:
May he rest in peace. I read a couple of his posts and he seemed like such a witty guy. LOL at the "I'm done being an N word" thread.
 
I mark the passing of a GB fixture.
My condolences to those who knew him and miss him.
 
There are few in this world one could aptly describe as a "gentleman and a scholar."

I know nothing of his background, training or education, but he struck me as one of the most widely read people I have ever met.

It's a wistful fantasy to picture him turning up as Dr. Livingstone with a gentle, wry grin and hoisted cup.

I will miss his mildly delivered Latin refinements. I tortured together a couple of phrases in memoriam:

Requiescant in Firmaménto

"Quo modo posset exerceri in Latin?"
 
I really enjoyed the times we had discussions. My condolences to you, and to Byron may he rest in blissful peace.
 
That's the one. Thank you. Tell the truth that's the most interesting fact about Byron's life and the only favorable impression I have of the dude.

I couldn't even make it through "Gothic" and if I can't watch something with Gabriel Byrne and Julian Sands in it...it's that bad.

Oh God. That is the most execrable piece of trash ever to be called a film. It has to be considered a comedy, really. I feel sorry whenever I hear someone has been subjected to it without being forewarned about how horribly ridiculous it is.

Anyway, he had two daughters, Ada, by his wife, and Allegra, by Claire Clairemont, although she died at the age of five of a fever.

I doubt you'll get a favorable impression of him from things written about him. You'd probably get a better impression from what he wrote.

It was REALLY bad.

Timothy Powers using his name in vain in "The Stress of Her Regard" didn't help.

My exposure to him is entirely tangential. Anything...erm...short, so I can get through it without wanting to die of consumption in order to escape?

Lol!... The shorter stuff isn't as good. One short poem of his that popular is "She walks in beauty" -- but I wrote a parody of it inspired by Angeline, who gave me the title: "She walks in Bunny Slippers"

These guys, Shelley, Byron, Keats, were more popular with the youth in the early 1800's than the Beatles were in the 1960's. Imagine no internets, no hot and cold running water, no electricity. Poetry had a lot more meaning for people then than it does now. There was music, if you could round up a bunch of musicians to play something. But for one person, poetry was musical thought. And America has just won a revolutionary war against Britain and created a democratic republic. There was no such thing in Europe.

They lit the fire.

A parody inspired by Angeline, who gave Byron the title:



She Walks in Bunny Slippers

I say humbug, poopycocks, stuff, and nonsense!

You have posted a scurrilous parody of my original poem, "She Walks in Bunny Slippers," doubtless penned by that infamous degenerate Southey or one of his ilk.

I quote the original properly, here:


She walks in bunny slippers fair
With floppy ears as soft as gauze
Their nylon whiskers comb the air
O'er brown'd and batter'd bunny paws
Yet such a babe is she, none dare
To comment on her footwear's flaws

Across the cold linoleum floor
She shuffles with a nameless grace
To fetch the paper at the door
And though the cold wind chills her face
Each foot could not be warmer more
Within its fluffy dwelling place

~B. :rose:

:heart:
 
Clearly I've missed out on key relationship developments on the GB.

Ignorant in Indiana,
Ellie
 
Noor, I am so very sorry for his passing. He was a genuinely nice guy behind the scenes. His wit reminded me of Problem Child at times. I'm glad he had you in his life. You're a good soul. :rose:
 
I'm still not actually here

I am so very sorry for your loss. He was such a singular person—truly an individual, unique and his own; I've never met (whether or not that should be in quotes) anyone else like him and I don't imagine I ever shall.

:rose:

Although he was also a founding member of "The Society of Persons Who Often Respond to Things Which Are Obviously Jokes in a Serious Manner, and Occasionally Respond to Things Which are Not Jokes in Any Way in a Manner Somewhat Less Serious Than Their Nature Might Reasonably Be Thought to Require" (indeed, he named it), I cannot but take this seriously.

Multās per gentēs et multa per aequora vectus
Adveniō hās miserās frāter ad īnferiās
Ut tē postrēmō dōnārem mūnere mortis
Et mūtam nēquīquam alloquerer cinerem
Quandoquidem fortūna mihī tētē abstulit ipsum
Heu miser indignē frāter adēmpte mihi
Nunc tamen intereā haec prīscō quae more parentum
Trādita sunt trīstī mūnere ad īnferiās
Accipe frāternō multum mānantia flētū
Atque in perpetuum frāter avē atque valē

- Catullus, CI
 
Noor, I am sorry to read this and am sorry for your loss.

Byron is a guy who just was always here, a fixture. I wish him well in the next life.
 
Thanks everyone.
I wish he was here to read all this, he would be really surprised.

Ellie- you missed it, probably because it didn't develop here on the boards and we were fairly private here with a few exceptions.
The exceptions could be spectacular, but I only allowed myself to get drawn in once, and I removed my thread/posts within a few hours.

I am really missing him right now, we thought we had time. Standard speech about telling people you care about them... I actually did all the time, and I am so glad I did.

I am wavering from never wanting to sleep again and wanting to sleep forever and not wake up but somehow I will find a way back.
 
Condolences to you, Noor. I think I saw or read between the lines his friendship with you, hold tight to those memories. I didn't know him at all but will miss his quirky wit, like only those inside his tight circle must gave been able to understand. The relentless YouTube clips and his passion for music and Battlestar Galactica. Quite a loss for those late nighter posters that keep the GB going.

RIP Byron
 
we spent a lot of time being thoroughly horrible to each other, so i'm glad the last time we spoke, two weeks back, we spoke as friends. but only because he admitted he was a pompous idiot. which he was. but it was endearing, in an infuriating way. you might want to kick him in the shins but it was hard to dislike him. not even if you tried really hard. which i did.



he adored you, noor.
 
Back
Top