Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > How To...

Old 06-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #76
Aphroditiac
Punny girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by query View Post
Here, guns require no permit including for concealed carry, but you need a very pricey federal permit per silencer.

Wouldn't want a n'er do-well chucking one and hitting someone. Hammers, ball-bats and archery equipment are also unregulated.
Guns require no permit? At all? Seriously?

Old 06-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #77
NotHisLady
Lost in a Lost World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphroditiac View Post
I don't need a permit to own mine. If I want to carry it means going to the courthouse and giving them $20 and a reason but the background check is pretty much the same one they do for purchase. If I'm not mistaken we can carry open here now too.

If you don't need a permit to buy a chain saw why in God's name do you need one for my little .22? Trust me I know which one can do more damage.
The number of things that can be deadly weapons is astounding and yet it's guns that people are constantly carrying on about permits for. I don't quite understand that really.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #78
Primalex
能ある鷹は爪を隠す。

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHisLady View Post
The number of things that can be deadly weapons is astounding and yet it's guns that people are constantly carrying on about permits for. I don't quite understand that really.
I have yet to see that someone manages to kill 69 people within 75 minutes with a chainsaw.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #79
NotHisLady
Lost in a Lost World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primalex View Post
I have yet to see that someone manages to kill 69 people within 75 minutes with a chainsaw.
automobile wrecks can be that deadly, so can boating accidents to nearly that degree
besides, are we only concerned about a LOT of people? that makes it ok if I go out and kill just one?
In any case, I don't recall the Texas Shotgun Massacre being a hit in the theaters.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #80
littlecordelera
Really Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson40 View Post
REⱭЯUM

This made me LOL!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #81
StrayKat
Conquered By A Tiger

Quote:
automobile wrecks can be that deadly, so can boating accidents to nearly that degree
besides, are we only concerned about a LOT of people? that makes it ok if I go out and kill just one?
In any case, I don't recall the Texas Shotgun Massacre being a hit in the theaters.
Only cars and boats are not made and perfected to be murderous weapons. And do you really ask is there a difference if you destroy one life or 20?

I am happy to live in a country where I can be relatively sure my neighbor will not have a psychotic attack and shoot me in the process. Yes, he can stab me, he can ran me over with his car, but that would take much more effort than pulling out the gun. And without the guns he at least has a few less available tools to take me down.
I am amazed you dont understand that.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #82
Aphroditiac
Punny girl

Quote:
But the main purpose of cars and boats is transportation. Sometimes, yes, there are accidents and people are injured or killed inadvertently by reckless use or carelessness. However, the reason we have these things is to get from point A to B, or to enjoy recreation time in the case of pleasure boating.

But the main purpose of guns, is well, killing things. I have to LOL when people try to compare guns to things like tools and vehicles.

It's okay that there is no movie about the Texas Shotgun Massacre...just watch the news, it's real life, they don't need to make the movie.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #83
Primalex
能ある鷹は爪を隠す。

Quote:

Your "argument" could be rewritten this way:

Driving licenses are stupid because you can kill people with a chainsaw, too.

I hope you handle chainsaws better than logic.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #84
StrayKat
Conquered By A Tiger

Quote:
It's okay that there is no movie about the Texas Shotgun Massacre...just watch the news, it's real life, they don't need to make the movie.
Indeed, this.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #85
NotHisLady
Lost in a Lost World

Quote:
But the main purpose of cars and boats is transportation. Sometimes, yes, there are accidents and people are injured or killed inadvertently by reckless use or carelessness. However, the reason we have these things is to get from point A to B, or to enjoy recreation time in the case of pleasure boating.

But the main purpose of guns, is well, killing things. I have to LOL when people try to compare guns to things like tools and vehicles.

What started as a sort of throwaway remark is turning into a debate and this isn't the place for it so I apologize for starting it.
I only want to say 2 things then I'm going to let it go because honestly what anyone else thinks has very little impact on me just like what I think has very little impact on what everyone else thinks. We all have our opinions and we are all entitled to them.

Firstly-- I'm not comparing a gun to a tool. A gun IS a tool. It is metal and plastic and utterly inert until someone picks it up. It has no will or volition of its own so vilifying an object is ridiculous. For myself it is a thing I use for recreation. Target shooting is something I enjoy doing. For other people hunting is a thing they actually do to fill their freezer (yes, I know people who do this.) Other people are collectors. If the fact that it can only do a thing that breaks the law makes it a thing that should not exist then no vehicle should be made that is capable of exceeding the speed limit since that capacity is only there to break the law.

Secondly-- I did not say or mean to suggest that licensing or background checks were a bad thing when a person purchases a gun. Just like when you get a license to drive a car those laws are there for a reason. My point was simply this, that when a human being is moved to commit violence against others it is not the IMPLEMENT he uses but the IMPULSE that drives him at fault. To put the blame on a single implement because it is the most often chosen or the most visibly effective one is to shift the blame onto the tool rather than the action.

I believe those two things fervently and wanted to state them. I am sorry for beginning a debate here though because this is not the place for this debate.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #86
Aphroditiac
Punny girl

You're right, it's not the thread to debate on, and I shall respectfully remove myself from the discussion so as not to hijack the conversation further.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #87
pmann
Little Lion

Quote:
I can't say I've eaten armadillo, wasn't really aware that anyone did by choice (there are a lot of things I'd spit and roast out of necessity that aren't on my grocery list weekly.)
In all honesty I've about stopped saying "I'll never..." since about half of the stuff on my "I'll never" list are now some of my favorite things. None of that makes green beans any less vile.
If it potentially carries leprosy, I'm not eating it.

Stay up with me, don't fall asleep...

Old 06-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #88
pmann
Little Lion

But guys and girls, have you ever considered the destruction that would ensue if a rabid raccoon got a hold of an assault rifle!??

Stay up with me, don't fall asleep...

Old 06-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #89
NotHisLady
Lost in a Lost World

Old 06-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #90
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Last edited by Bramblethorn : 06-24-2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: too cranky for a gun-control argument today

Old 06-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #91
NotHisLady
Lost in a Lost World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
I doubt it's even the best choice for most people most of the time.
I don't carry on a day to day basis--I have mace with my keys and I know the basics of how to use my body to escape and defend myself.
I have a gun in my home but that's my choice.
The point, I think, is that it should be a choice.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #92
Dogma52
Hopeless flirt!

Quote:
I doubt it's even the best choice for most people most of the time.
I don't carry on a day to day basis--I have mace with my keys and I know the basics of how to use my body to escape and defend myself.
I have a gun in my home but that's my choice.
The point, I think, is that it should be a choice.
I couldn't agree more with Lady!
When people asked about owning a gun for protection, my advice was always the same.

Are you prepared to kill someone who is threatening your life? If not, a gun is not a good tool for "scaring" criminals away.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #93
query
Loquacious Sesquipedalian

Quote:
Not here. You do have to pass a background check if you buy one from an licensed dealer. Which is silly because criminals don't buy them where someone writes down a serial number and who bought it.

Now, if I actually still lived beyond rifle range of my nearest neighbor as I have at times, this would be paradise.

I know guns can seem to be intimidating, but the "I wonder if I am going to get shot" feeling paradoxically goes down when there's a 1/2 a dozen guns in the cafe and an armory in the parking lot.

When you go to a gun show you have to demonstrate that the gun you are taking in with you is unloaded...but they will helpfully sell you ammunition and extra magazines inside.

Interestingly, no one has ever tried a take-down robbery in a gun show.

It DOES sound a bit insane on the surface doesn't it?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #94
JtohisPB
BAMF!

It is still on my bucket list to learn to fire a gun. Maybe I'll get to it this summer.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #95
imemkay
Impish Little Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtohisPB View Post
It is still on my bucket list to learn to fire a gun. Maybe I'll get to it this summer.
You should! I took a handgun safety course last summer. The classroom time was very informative and the time out at the range was a lot of fun!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #96
Rainshine
Funny Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmnpa View Post
Been to Oz, could not walk outside barefoot due to the roo poo in the yard. they were everywhere at the one place we stayed.
Where did you stay to have 'Roo poo all over the yard?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #97
NotHisLady
Lost in a Lost World

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtohisPB View Post
Absolutely you should, I went mostly out of curiosity and because it was one of hubby's things he liked to do (I was trying to do the 'common ground' thing) turns out I love it.
Go to a well managed range and make sure you are familiar with the weapon first.
Word to the wise that the men won't think to tell you--high necked top, and wear a hat. The first thing I discovered is that I'm the shortest one in the room and with taller guys on either side the hat is a must have when spent casings are flying.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #98
Aphroditiac
Punny girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by query View Post

I know guns can seem to be intimidating, but the "I wonder if I am going to get shot" feeling paradoxically goes down when there's a 1/2 a dozen guns in the cafe and an armory in the parking lot.
This is, quite simply, the single most bizarre thing I have ever read on LIT.

And that is saying something, believe me.

You feel "safe" with a half a dozen guns in the cafe and an armory in the parking lot?

Interestingly enough, I manage to go out and about my business every single day and never worry about getting shot precisely because I don't have to worry about how many guns are in the cafe.

This whole mentality of guns making you so much safer literally blows me away. I know I said I was going to stay off this thread, but God damn...just...no words.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #99
Rainshine
Funny Face

Quote:
This is, quite simply, the single most bizarre thing I have ever read on LIT.

And that is saying something, believe me.

You feel "safe" with a half a dozen guns in the cafe and an armory in the parking lot?

Interestingly enough, I manage to go out and about my business every single day and never worry about getting shot precisely because I don't have to worry about how many guns are in the cafe.

This whole mentality of guns making you so much safer literally blows me away. I know I said I was going to stay off this thread, but God damn...just...no words.
I'm with you. I cannot fathom this mentality. One of my best friends is a Texan and gun crazy, and I am always perplexed at his rationalising this issue. I've never seen another country so happy for its citizens to keep slaughtering each other in the name of "rights."

Old 06-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #100
JtohisPB
BAMF!

Quote:
Absolutely you should, I went mostly out of curiosity and because it was one of hubby's things he liked to do (I was trying to do the 'common ground' thing) turns out I love it.
Go to a well managed range and make sure you are familiar with the weapon first.
Word to the wise that the men won't think to tell you--high necked top, and wear a hat. The first thing I discovered is that I'm the shortest one in the room and with taller guys on either side the hat is a must have when spent casings are flying.
Thanks for the apparel tip! The hat is probably still a good idea, although I'll likely be as tall as the men or even taller than a few.