Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > How To...

Old 06-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #51
NippleMuncher
Masticatus Nipplicanis

Not having read this entire thread, suffice it to say that if you are in an urban area, there are laws and regulations against the use of firearms. If you are in the country, then most jurisdictions allow you to kill any animal on your property that is a threat to you or your livestock.

If you are unsure, then call your local animal control office to see what your rights and regulations are. If you can use a gun, use it, if you can't, then animal control needs to come out and trap or kill it for you.

Assuming that all is well in the world and you can legally shoot whatever you like, then I'd recommend the shotgun, as it will have the best chance of subduing the animal if your aim isn't quite up to snuff, without putting others in jeopardy outside of a 40 foot range. One word of warning, the carnage from a shotgun isn't pretty, and if you only wing the damn thing, you'll have to finish it off at closer range, preferably point blank so as to minimize suffering.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:01 AM   #52
query
Loquacious Sesquipedalian

'round these parts I'd recommend .243 @1500 yards for safety. This round would do nicely.

With 95 grains leaving the muzzle at over 3000fps it is very humane. The target won't ever hear the shot. If you want to give the poor critter a sporting chance stand off 2000 yards with a V-max. It's only 58 grains but a nearly 4000fps it gets there yesterday, and no need to adjust for elevation. Just guess where he will be a second and a half from now.

Last edited by query : 06-21-2014 at 03:22 AM.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:52 AM   #53
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHisLady View Post
I've never had kangaroo. Venison and gator but not that. What is it most like?
I really like it. Took me a while to get the hang of cooking it because I was too timid about searing the sides, but now I can do a pretty good job of it. Very red, very lean. I understand it tastes a bit like venison but it's been so long since I had venison, I couldn't really say.

Also pretty eco-friendly as meat goes; roos are a lot less damaging to the land than cattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyDuckman View Post
Good job getting rid of the damn varmit, rabies or not. For those who don't know - rabies is one of the few things that's considered 100% lethal, 100% of the time. You don't "get rabies," "get shots," and "get better." You basically "get rabies" and then you die, horribly. Here's a very interesting story about it:
http://www.npr.org/2012/07/19/157049...story-in-rabid

One of the few cases in all of human history of rabies being "cured." http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4186205
Waiting until symptoms develop is usually too late, but post-exposure vaccination is pretty effective. The people who die of rabies in first-world countries are mostly the ones who didn't realise they'd been exposed and didn't get their shots in time.

The Milwaukee protocol (the treatment in that NPR article) seems to give about a 10% survival rate for symptomatic rabies, which is still horribly low but better than nothing.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #54
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

"...You just stand there, looking cute
And if something moves, you shoot!
There's ten stuffed heads in my trophy room right now
Seven hunters, two game wardens, and a cow."
--T. Lehrer

A Fall of Stardust (Nude Day) - "Hagh. cha' qab entries vaj contest. 'ej batlh cha' tlhIH suck, ghewmey, jaj Qu'lIj'e' bup chaH." -Anon
Jenny Be Fair 02 (incest-humor) - "Total shit - smug, shit-eating, stupid and up-your-own ass... No stars." -Anon
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anon
Under His Eyes (satire) - "YOU ARE A SICK FUCK. WHY WOULD YOU WRITE THIS HORRIBLY VILE STORY. THIS IS HUMANITY AT ITS WORST. I ONLY SKIMMED TO SEE WHAT CRAP IT WAS. YOU NEED TO BE LOCKED AWAY FROM ANYONE YOU COULD HURT FOR REAL. MINUS 1 BILLION ISN'T ENOUGH. DON'T WRITE ANYMORE." -Anon

Old 06-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #55
littlecordelera
Really Really Experienced

I thought I would update this thread I started. This has been a very educational experience.

It turns out that I should have called the Health Department from the start. Thanks to jehoram for that suggestion. In Florida, what Animal Control handles varies by county.

It is likely the animal was rabid. A raccoon being out in broad daylight is odd enough, but one that walks funny, is not afraid of humans, and angry is very likely rabid. I learned that here in Florida, all raccoons are considered rabid unless proven otherwise.

Rabies is highly contagious through contact and it can quickly spread to family pets, which then threatens to spread it to people. If the animal is not disposed of properly (alive or dead), the rabies can be spread to any animals that come into contact with it. So, it is a really bad idea to let a suspect animal run free. The guys who came out here to recover the dead animal were very complimentary of how I handled the situation.

If I understood what I was told - there's been a lot of information coming my way lately - it is against the law to trap and relocate raccoons in our state. We don't have a trap so that was never an option. I could have buried the dead carcass, but they told me it would have to be wrapped in double plastic bags and buried at least four feet deep or something. Four feet? Not this girl, and certainly not in 100 degree heat. I didn't want to have to handle a gun - I don't like them, but that was easy.

It has been a very interesting ~ 24 hours. Not the kind of interesting I prefer, but interesting, nonetheless.

Thanks to everyone who commented. I appreciate all your suggestions.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #56
NiceNastyMann
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecordelera View Post
I thought I would update this thread I started. This has been a very educational experience.

It turns out that I should have called the Health Department from the start. Thanks to jehoram for that suggestion. In Florida, what Animal Control handles varies by county.

It is likely the animal was rabid. A raccoon being out in broad daylight is odd enough, but one that walks funny, is not afraid of humans, and angry is very likely rabid. I learned that here in Florida, all raccoons are considered rabid unless proven otherwise.

Rabies is highly contagious through contact and it can quickly spread to family pets, which then threatens to spread it to people. If the animal is not disposed of properly (alive or dead), the rabies can be spread to any animals that come into contact with it. So, it is a really bad idea to let a suspect animal run free. The guys who came out here to recover the dead animal were very complimentary of how I handled the situation.

If I understood what I was told - there's been a lot of information coming my way lately - it is against the law to trap and relocate raccoons in our state. We don't have a trap so that was never an option. I could have buried the dead carcass, but they told me it would have to be wrapped in double plastic bags and buried at least four feet deep or something. Four feet? Not this girl, and certainly not in 100 degree heat. I didn't want to have to handle a gun - I don't like them, but that was easy.

It has been a very interesting ~ 24 hours. Not the kind of interesting I prefer, but interesting, nonetheless.

Thanks to everyone who commented. I appreciate all your suggestions.
The other give away on raccoons - if you see them 'dancing' - that is probably the best description - broad daylight, no fear of being in the open, moving erratically.

You can wait for the animal control department - but then you take the risk of a small child or someones dog getting bit. If you can safely take the shot - then wait for animal control - that's my suggestion. You are likely saving not yourself but maybe someone else a lot of grief and pain.

The animal can't be saved at that point - once rabies has taken over the CNS death is certain. You are providing a mercy.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #57
Rainshine
Funny Face

Quote:
Four feet? Not this girl, and certainly not in 100 degree heat.

This made me giggle and nod in complete understanding and agreement.

Glad the situation is sorted!

Old 06-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #58
NotHisLady
Lost in a Lost World

Quote:

A bit of snippage there, sorry, meant for brevity (mine not yours)

A raccoon out by day this time of year may just be foraging because she has a litter, that can make them a bit aggressive as well. It's uncommon but it happens more than some people realize. In that case they back off when you do though. That funny walk and looking overall sick is a giveaway of a sick animal however.
Burying it was never a good idea IMO. Getting it deep enough (4 feet would be about right if it were wrapped in plastic) so that some scavenging animal didn't scent it and dig it up is the trouble with that. You don't want them dining on Rocky there, even after he's been sitting a while.

Some folks have said it but Good for you. That was a tough one so you must be some lady to have pulled it off.

A bit of advice for people like me and you who live out where animals are common--
Find out in advance who to call when one shows up that's a problem. It saves all kinds of headache if you aren't scrambling for info

Old 06-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #59
pfflyerhot
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtohisPB View Post
Great movie!!
Yeah... Unless you happen to live around where they filmed it. Then it becomes a pain-in-the-ass movie.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #60
albertaboy
Literotica Guru

Quote:
My husband keeps a loaded shotgun in one of our closets. I checked it out with the animal control guy on the phone. It is a 20 gauge and it has 1 size shot shells in it. He said that would be perfect. Must have been, because that raccoon didn't move a bit after I shot. Thank goodness for that.

But CRAP! That sucker was LOUD!

That would be just about perfect. Killed a beaver once with the same combination that was flooding an area.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:49 AM   #61
Porkwarrior
Midlife Man Whore

Quote:
I thought I would update this thread I started. This has been a very educational experience...
I did not mention it earlier, but I hope you were doted on by your man when he returned. For at least five minutes atleast!
If not, I owe you a fist bump & mint julep for how you handled things.

I grew up in a half suburban, half rural area (block away from a strip mall, and on the other side of the high school were cornfields). Three times at my parents house we had to deal with "dancing raccoons" (an excellent way to put it). All were Diphtheria instead of Rabies, but it's not something you want to chance. I only mention my personal anecdote just to put your mind at ease just a bit. I believe the ratio is close to 100:1 Diphtheria:Rabies.

But it is one of the few times you do not want to be a 1%'er!

Old 06-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #62
littlecordelera
Really Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkwarrior View Post
I did not mention it earlier, but I hope you were doted on by your man when he returned. For at least five minutes atleast!
If not, I owe you a fist bump & mint julep for how you handled things.
Thank you, Porkwarrior. I appreciate that.

My husband won't be too surprised, though. (He's still out of town.) I was raised in a poor home in the swamp, so "making do" was everyday life. Not to mention, growing up in the backwoods we had a saying.

"Dis our home, and we don't like nobody focking wid us."

Old 06-24-2014, 01:33 AM   #63
Emerson40
An evening spent dancing

REⱭЯUM

Old 06-24-2014, 01:55 AM   #64
LWulf
Literotica Guru

For those who aren't aware, Florida has a very high water table since most of the state is only 1 foot above sea level and it's highest point is about 350 feet above sea level (in the panhandle)). In most cases, you hit water if you go down one foot, let alone four feet. This is the reason that a plastic bag would be essential (so it doesn't contaminate the aquifer).

Also, Florida is mostly sand which is another reason why a bag would be preferred to just burying the remains.

(While I have a fair amount of knowledge about guns, I have never shot an animal so I didn't open my yap before this.)

Edit: Also, just to gripe about my own pet peeves, When Lou and Sue Yankee come down to Florida, they sometimes buy little Bobby and Suzie a pet kitty or puppy if they stay for anything longer than a month, then because they can't stay for whatever reason, instead of putting the animal into a shelter where it might be put to sleep (Heavens no!), they release it in a very "Born Free" moment. It will live like it was meant to, in the wild!
Cue tear filled crescendo.

Only that isn't the end of the story. Florida is a subtropical habitat which is unsuitable for cats and dogs. Those animals are not suited to the parasites and microbes that inhabit the region and left in the open for an extended amount of time (2-3 months), will start becoming mad from the worms squirming around in their brains. They can then infect other local animals that are normally resistant.

and then you hear about a sickly raccoon...
That's worthy of tears.

**Dogs and cats can go outside in Florida only when they eat inside and get frequent monthly (quarterly?) shots.

Last edited by LWulf : 06-24-2014 at 02:31 AM.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:57 AM   #65
NotHisLady
Lost in a Lost World

In case anyone is at all curious.

Animal Control nabs Rabid Raccoon

That's why smart people don't go near them, why it's better to get help or if there isn't any help to deal with it on the spot. It's no mercy leaving that animal to die slowly that way.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:09 AM   #66
Rainshine
Funny Face

Oh, that poor little guy. That made me teary.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:03 AM   #67
Cumference
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWulf View Post

[i]Edit: Also, just to gripe about my own pet peeves, When Lou and Sue Yankee come down to Florida, they sometimes buy little Bobby and Suzie a pet kitty or puppy if they stay for anything longer than a month, then because they can't stay for whatever reason, instead of putting the animal into a shelter where it might be put to sleep (Heavens no!), they release it in a very "Born Free" moment. It will live like it was meant to, in the wild!
Cue tear filled crescendo.
I'll join in that pet peeve!

How can people be so god damn bloody stupid?
It is not kindliness, it is irresponsibility.

And should the critter survive, it is an invasive species, that will be a threat to the local flora and fauna.

Feral cats and dogs are a very real problem all over the world.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #68
pmann
Little Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHisLady View Post
I've never had kangaroo. Venison and gator but not that. What is it most like?
Kangaroo is okay. It's not bad. A bit gamey. I can't really describe what it's like. It's not really like anything I've had before. It's very dear to purchase here as they (presumably) have to ship that over from Australia and for some damned reason, Australia is too fucking far away.

I remember some years ago when I was a wee lad, there was a restaurant (maybe Jack In The Box) that got in trouble for serving kangaroo burgers that they were trying to pass off as beef. How the hell was that any cheaper?!

Stay up with me, don't fall asleep...

Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #69
pmann
Little Lion

By the way, I love this thread.

Raccoons are evil little bastards, rabid or not. They fool you by looking kind of cute and having cute babies. But they are evil, mean fuckers.

Florida has all kinds of shitty animals here. The other ones I hate are armadillos. Rabies suck. But how about leprosy!?? Who wants to be a leper, walking around tiny little leper arms, ready to fall off at any moment, from an encounter with what is possibly the stupidest animal on the earth. What amazes me is that people in the south eat that rubbish. Ugh. Feral people.

And talking about people releasing cats into the wild here in Florida, how about the pythons? They are killing off the gators, which I'm told is somehow a bad thing. Yes, circle of life and all that jazz.

My most hated (non bug) animal in Florida? Geese. Those motherfuckers came down from Canada and set up shop in my neighbourhood. They act like they own the place. Mean, evil creatures.

Stay up with me, don't fall asleep...

Old 06-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #70
Cumference
Literotica Guru

And garden gnomes!

They should be shot on sight, no hesitation, no questions asked!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #71
Cumference
Literotica Guru

Regarding guns:

My silenced .22's make less noise than an average air rifle. They are absolutely wonderful for pests, especially when discretion is a priority.

(Silencers are completely legal in Scandinavia, but you have to pass a few checks to get permits for firearms. Protecting the shooters hearing was a priority in recent legislation)

Old 06-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #72
query
Loquacious Sesquipedalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumference View Post
Regarding guns:

My silenced .22's make less noise than an average air rifle. They are absolutely wonderful for pests, especially when discretion is a priority.

(Silencers are completely legal in Scandinavia, but you have to pass a few checks to get permits for firearms. Protecting the shooters hearing was a priority in recent legislation)
Here, guns require no permit including for concealed carry, but you need a very pricey federal permit per silencer.

Wouldn't want a n'er do-well chucking one and hitting someone. Hammers, ball-bats and archery equipment are also unregulated.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #73
mwmnpa
Literotica Guru

Interesting thread...I can attest to the numerous raccoons in FL. Where I live, we have woods facing our house which has all manner of wildlife. We get the occasional coon, possum, or ground hog "doing the dance," walking around unafraid, and the local police take care of them.

We also let our cats out, but we bring them in every night. And we keep them up to date with their shots. They do occasionally get into a an altercation, but mostly they leave well enough alone, as does the wildlife.

Been to Oz, could not walk outside barefoot due to the roo poo in the yard. they were everywhere at the one place we stayed.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #74
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

I've not seen raccoons in my vicinity. Too high and dry, probably. Resources say Calif coons are mostly in wetland and riparian (streamside) environments at low-to-medium elevations. I only need to deal with stupid deer, manic squirrels and elusive wild turkeys, with the occasional fox and skunk.

But there's a goat. Someone here in this mountainous evergreen forest keeps a goat tied up in their yard. And it cries. All day, all night. It sounds like a wailing man. My partner wants to shoot the noisy little fucker, put it our of its misery. Hey, we recently installed a firepit. Maybe we'll have a party next weekend, with roast goat...

I've read (not tasted) that armadillos are popular food around Tehuantepec (the narrow part of Mexico) and "swamp creatures' are part of Yucatan cuisine. Hey, eat'em if ya got'em...

A Fall of Stardust (Nude Day) - "Hagh. cha' qab entries vaj contest. 'ej batlh cha' tlhIH suck, ghewmey, jaj Qu'lIj'e' bup chaH." -Anon
Jenny Be Fair 02 (incest-humor) - "Total shit - smug, shit-eating, stupid and up-your-own ass... No stars." -Anon
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anon
Under His Eyes (satire) - "YOU ARE A SICK FUCK. WHY WOULD YOU WRITE THIS HORRIBLY VILE STORY. THIS IS HUMANITY AT ITS WORST. I ONLY SKIMMED TO SEE WHAT CRAP IT WAS. YOU NEED TO BE LOCKED AWAY FROM ANYONE YOU COULD HURT FOR REAL. MINUS 1 BILLION ISN'T ENOUGH. DON'T WRITE ANYMORE." -Anon

Old 06-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #75
NotHisLady
Lost in a Lost World

I can't say I've eaten armadillo, wasn't really aware that anyone did by choice (there are a lot of things I'd spit and roast out of necessity that aren't on my grocery list weekly.)
In all honesty I've about stopped saying "I'll never..." since about half of the stuff on my "I'll never" list are now some of my favorite things. None of that makes green beans any less vile.