Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > How To...

Old 06-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #26
Rainshine
Daring Greatly

Crazy crazy crazy. How do you know an animal is rabid?

We don't have a rabies problem over here. My only exposure to rabies was as a child through the movie Cujo.

So tell me one more lie my dear, whisper softly so nobody hears...

Old 06-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #27
Julietravels
Really Experienced

A few years ago there was a raccoon acting strange at my husband's parent's place, they have 30 acres. He had everything to choose from and chose a 22. Raccoon died in one shot, but he is pretty good. We checked the internet and ended up taking him out in the woods with gloves on.

In any case, good for you. I am woman, hear my shotgun roar.

BTW, I asked my husband and he said number 6 shot is too small unless you are fairly close. He recommended number 2 or bigger. He told me the bigger number means smaller pellets. I would not use a shotgun in any case, I don't want to be knocked down. I fired my husband's twelve gauge once. It hurts my shoulder to remember it.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #28
JtohisPB
Cavity Inducing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshine View Post

We don't have a rabies problem over here. My only exposure to rabies was as a child through the movie Cujo.
Great movie!!

Old 06-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #29
NotHisLady
aimlessly wandering

Quote:

Generally you can't be absolutely certain unless it's REALLY sick and a wild animal I would think will have found someplace to die by then. I was taught to be leery of--
-animals that are visibly sick--gaunt, appear to have stopped grooming themselves, seem disoriented or just 'not right' (that's a southern expression and I can't really translate it.)
-nocturnal creatures that are active during the day
-creatures that show unprovoked or uncharacteristic aggression
-creatures that have become overly bold in approaching people or human occupied places, if you shout or try to warn it off and it doesn't go that's a sign that something isn't right
-bats just flopping around on the ground

For the most part if you have kids that play in your yard or outdoor pets then I'd say err on the side of caution. Try to know ahead of time who to call if you're in the situation the OP was in so you aren't scrambling for answers. If it has to be dealt with then it does, that doesn't mean taking out every creature that wanders through your yard. Just using some common sense.

Don't leave food out, that just attracts them and raccoons especially will get bold and demanding pretty quick if they get used to a place being a food source.
Be mindful (right now especially) that a female of nearly any species will go for you if she thinks you're a threat to her babies so watch and listen if you're near a patch of woods. Be prepared to just back away because you won't drive her off and hurting her is unnecessary.
Seal up your crawlspaces if you have them and any other small accessible space so that you don't wind up with it being turned into a den. (Skunks moved in under my parent's house a few years ago. That was fun. Whew.)

All of that is far more relevant to folks like me who see more trees than people when I look out the window but it's still good to know.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #30
Miles Long
Fuck victoriously!

Quote:

Yeah but you have dingos, so it's kind of a wash...

Old 06-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #31
Rainshine
Daring Greatly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Long View Post
Yeah but you have dingos, so it's kind of a wash...
Yeah, but they only steal our babies.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #32
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHisLady View Post
If the creature was rabid put on some rubber glove and grab it with a garbage bag, just turn that inside out around it (especially if there are brains around but that part may just be something my uncles told me to gross me out, no point taking chances though.)
Rabies spreads primarily through the nervous system (nerves, brain, spinal tissue) so your uncles weren't just trying to gross you out there. That said, any body fluid from a rabid animal is a hazard.

Depending on conditions, it can stay alive and infectious for a few days without a live host. I don't think it's safe to assume that it's non-infectious when the body cools - in fact this info suggests that it survives longer in cooler surroundings.

So, yeah, if at all possible I'd be looking to let a professional deal with the remains. Failing that, one-in-ten bleach on the whole mess, gloves, and disposing of it in something that's not going to be punctured accidentally - you don't want to be stabbing the garbage guy with a sharp bit of bone.

Quote:
All of it. A raccoon. A raccoon that needs to be killed. Rabies. Which gun because there's a billion to choose from.

It's all so foreign.
I'm with Rainshine on this. I don't mean to downplay the situation or say that the OP did the wrong thing, just commenting on how weird the situation is from an Australian perspective. For all that we love scaring tourists, there's very little in .au that will try to kill you, and if you have a wild animal in your yard the usual response is "leave it alone and it'll leave you alone".

(There are a few exceptions, chiefly crocodiles, but as long as you treat crocodiles with all the respect due to a twenty-foot ambush predator that can sneak like a ninja you should be okay. I find staying away from crocodile territory works pretty well.)
New for the 2014 Halloween contest: Red Callum, Sweet Cate. Cate promises to sleep with Callum if he'll prove his courage by spending Halloween in the old crypt... how could this possibly be a bad idea? Please read and vote!

Stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions
E-books: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Bramblethorn
Blog: http://bramblethorn.dreamwidth.org/
Avatar pic borrowed from http://www.oglaf.com with permission.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #33
Rainshine
Daring Greatly

Magpies are far more frightening than Dingoes. Those little fuckers attack from above and will scalp you if you happen to pass by a nest at the wrong time.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #34
NotHisLady
aimlessly wandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
Rabies spreads primarily through the nervous system (nerves, brain, spinal tissue) so your uncles weren't just trying to gross you out there. That said, any body fluid from a rabid animal is a hazard.

Depending on conditions, it can stay alive and infectious for a few days without a live host. I don't think it's safe to assume that it's non-infectious when the body cools - in fact this info suggests that it survives longer in cooler surroundings.

So, yeah, if at all possible I'd be looking to let a professional deal with the remains. Failing that, one-in-ten bleach on the whole mess, gloves, and disposing of it in something that's not going to be punctured accidentally - you don't want to be stabbing the garbage guy with a sharp bit of bone.

I'm with Rainshine on this. I don't mean to downplay the situation or say that the OP did the wrong thing, just commenting on how weird the situation is from an Australian perspective. For all that we love scaring tourists, there's very little in .au that will try to kill you, and if you have a wild animal in your yard the usual response is "leave it alone and it'll leave you alone".

(There are a few exceptions, chiefly crocodiles, but as long as you treat crocodiles with all the respect due to a twenty-foot ambush predator that can sneak like a ninja you should be okay. I find staying away from crocodile territory works pretty well.)
Even where we are we don't actually have a 'garbage man' anymore. They've got that truck that dumps the container (hard to call it a can since it's not round.) I'm with you on not messing around with dead stuff. I looked at one site, don't recall where, that said you should keep the remains cold until the Health Dept. can collect them. WTF? They want me to put THAT in my freezer?? NFW is that happening. I'm double bagging Rocky and letting hubby deal with the it when he gets home if I can, if I can't he goes in the trash.

Generally I love watching what wanders in and out of the yard. We get quite the little menagerie. The skunks are beautiful at a distance and the fox has been known to bring her kits to the edge of the woods (so cute.) They get plenty of room to do their thing. The same with the rabbits and such. Granted we have a bat box up but not too near the house (those things will go THRU some bugs.)
Mostly you leave them alone and all is well. Stuff like this morning is the exception not the usual thing in my experience.
I was taught early what sort of things to watch for in an animal for safety sake but that's just good sense. If you live out in the country it's the sort of thing you need to know. It isn't to scare anyone, just part of life, the same as looking both ways when you cross the street.

On a side note, it isn't mean to destroy a rabid animal. You're sort of doing it a favor because rabies is an awful way to die.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:47 AM   #35
Porkwarrior
Midlife Man Whore

Quote:

Well a big part of the "no rabies problem" is that y'all shoot any foreign dog that shows up in a plane or on a boat.

And Aussies have guns...what else do you use to shoot a Roo from the back of a Ute?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:58 AM   #36
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
I was taught early what sort of things to watch for in an animal for safety sake but that's just good sense. If you live out in the country it's the sort of thing you need to know. It isn't to scare anyone, just part of life, the same as looking both ways when you cross the street.

On a side note, it isn't mean to destroy a rabid animal. You're sort of doing it a favor because rabies is an awful way to die.
Oh yeah, I understand why you have to do it. It's just quite a mental shift, like learning to drive on the opposite side of the road. (Actually, "opposite side of the road" wasn't so much of an issue as "opposite side of the car"; clipped the kerb a couple of times before I got used to it.)

I think it's also that living in Australia my main exposure to raccoons (and indeed skunks) is as cute cartoon animals. I'm enough of a med geek to know they're a rabies threat, but it's still hard thinking of them as other than lovable scamps.
New for the 2014 Halloween contest: Red Callum, Sweet Cate. Cate promises to sleep with Callum if he'll prove his courage by spending Halloween in the old crypt... how could this possibly be a bad idea? Please read and vote!

Old 06-21-2014, 01:09 AM   #37
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkwarrior View Post
Well a big part of the "no rabies problem" is that y'all shoot any foreign dog that shows up in a plane or on a boat.

And Aussies have guns...what else do you use to shoot a Roo from the back of a Ute?

It's not quite that harsh. Used to be a long quarantine period for importing dogs, now I think it's as little as 10 days depending on where they're coming from. But, yeah, Australia is pretty fussy about quarantine issues for good reason. On of the big worries is rabies coming in up north from Indonesia; Aboriginal communities in the Top End tend to have a lot of semi-feral dogs wandering around, and a rabies outbreak in that situation would be pretty horrendous.

Personally, I don't shoot roos at all, although I'm happy to eat roo shot by others.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:16 AM   #38
NotHisLady
aimlessly wandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
It's not quite that harsh. Used to be a long quarantine period for importing dogs, now I think it's as little as 10 days depending on where they're coming from. But, yeah, Australia is pretty fussy about quarantine issues for good reason. On of the big worries is rabies coming in up north from Indonesia; Aboriginal communities in the Top End tend to have a lot of semi-feral dogs wandering around, and a rabies outbreak in that situation would be pretty horrendous.

Personally, I don't shoot roos at all, although I'm happy to eat roo shot by others.
If you'd ever accidentally gotten between a raccoon and her litter you'd understand that they can be pretty fierce. They aren't small creatures and any wild thing coming at you will put you back a step.
With rabies even something as seemingly harmless as a squirrel can be a danger so avoiding an outbreak is something that the Health Dept and Wildlife Management stay on pretty close.

I've never had kangaroo. Venison and gator but not that. What is it most like?

Old 06-21-2014, 01:34 AM   #39
Miles Long
Fuck victoriously!

Quote:
If you'd ever accidentally gotten between a raccoon and her litter you'd understand that they can be pretty fierce. They aren't small creatures and any wild thing coming at you will put you back a step.
With rabies even something as seemingly harmless as a squirrel can be a danger so avoiding an outbreak is something that the Health Dept and Wildlife Management stay on pretty close.

I've never had kangaroo. Venison and gator but not that. What is it most like?
I can't eat kangaroo; it makes me jumpy.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:59 AM   #40
BuckyDuckman
Literotica Guru

Location: Apparently the character limit for "Where you live" is remarkably generous. I live in a nice little home with a walkout basement that faces the street. That means the living area feels as if it's all "upstairs." It's on a road in the USA.
Good job getting rid of the damn varmit, rabies or not. For those who don't know - rabies is one of the few things that's considered 100% lethal, 100% of the time. You don't "get rabies," "get shots," and "get better." You basically "get rabies" and then you die, horribly. Here's a very interesting story about it:
http://www.npr.org/2012/07/19/157049...story-in-rabid

One of the few cases in all of human history of rabies being "cured." http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4186205

Meanwhile - thanks for the smiles along the way!

Team PM - Feel free to PM me!

Bucky Duckman's Blog - musing & thoughts about writing, erotica, & life

Old 06-21-2014, 02:02 AM   #41
NotHisLady
aimlessly wandering

Quote:
I can't eat kangaroo; it makes me jumpy.
you are an evil genius
shame on you

Old 06-21-2014, 02:04 AM   #42
Rainshine
Daring Greatly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkwarrior View Post

Quarantine is pretty strict over here, we're not even allowed to move fruit between states and there are quarantines in place for certain pets to move between states too.

ETA: I haven't shot a gun in my life, and can't ever foresee a time when I would. I've eaten kangaroo once and didn't like it. You can buy it at the butchers and in the supermarkets these days and I think a lot of kangaroo goes into pet food. It's a very lean meat.

Last edited by Rainshine : 06-21-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 AM   #43
Miles Long
Fuck victoriously!

Quote:
Quarantine is pretty strict over here, we're not even allowed to move fruit between states and there are quarantines in place for certain pets to move between states too.

ETA: I haven't shot a gun in my life, and can't ever foresee a time when I would. I've eaten kangaroo once and didn't like it. You can buy it at the butchers and in the supermarkets these days and I think a lot of kangaroo goes into pet food. It's a very lean meat.
What do you do with all the kangaroos you catch in the kangaroo traps you place all around your yard?

Old 06-21-2014, 02:13 AM   #44
Rainshine
Daring Greatly

Quote:
What do you do with all the kangaroos you catch in the kangaroo traps you place all around your yard?
I'm building an army. Shhhh.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:19 AM   #45
Miles Long
Fuck victoriously!

Quote:
I'm building an army. Shhhh.
You mean like this?

Old 06-21-2014, 02:23 AM   #46
Rainshine
Daring Greatly

The ones on the right.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:24 AM   #47
NotHisLady
aimlessly wandering

Quote:

I'm going shooting on Sunday (weather permitting--it's an outdoor range)
In my life I've only shot at circles on paper for the most part, I've had men to tend to the other stuff. I'd just as soon keep it that way but I do have a pistol by the bed.
Since I was born I've lived in houses where there were guns. As a kid they weren't locked up. I was just taught what they were and why to leave them be, same as I was taught not to go try to start the car. Now we don't have kids in the house and cats don't have thumbs so I don't worry about locking them up when we're home.
I can't truly imagine living in a house without them though.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:28 AM   #48
Rainshine
Daring Greatly

Quote:
In my life I've only shot at circles on paper for the most part, I've had men to tend to the other stuff. I'd just as soon keep it that way but I do have a pistol by the bed.
Since I was born I've lived in houses where there were guns. As a kid they weren't locked up. I was just taught what they were and why to leave them be, same as I was taught not to go try to start the car. Now we don't have kids in the house and cats don't have thumbs so I don't worry about locking them up when we're home.
I guess that's a whole other thread, but I'm the reverse, I can't imagine living in a home with them/one.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:29 AM   #49
Miles Long
Fuck victoriously!

Quote:
Sun's out, guns out. *shrugs*

Old 06-21-2014, 02:34 AM   #50
NotHisLady
aimlessly wandering

Quote:
I guess that's a whole other thread, but I'm the reverse, I can't imagine living in a home with them/one.
Quote:
Sun's out, guns out. *shrugs*
There are far more dangerous things in the world.
So long as you are Safe and Sane about it anyway.