The Perfect Woman (Closed)

Scuttle Buttin'

Demons at bay
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Posts
15,881
The file downloaded in a few moments, and from there was streamed to a large, flat-panel television that hung on a wall in his vast study. The room was dim, the darkness of the oak soaking up what little light was set free in the room, and as he settled on the leather couch with a tumbler of amber liquid held between his fingertips, he narrowed his eyes against the sudden bright light of the video.

On the screen before him, he watched a high definition video of a woman carrying boxes from a car into what appeared to be her new residence. She was wearing little, if any, makeup, a fact that the high quality of the video made obvious even from the photographer's vantage point across the street, and he was pleased with that fact. In his experience, limited though it was, determining the quality of specimen one was dealing with was made more difficult by makeup and clothing designed the "sculpt" and "tone." However ineffective they may be, they still worked to hide the true shape and appearance of the person under them, and more than one woman had been passed over because of this. He was insulated multiple times over from anything that might go awry - even the file he now watched would erase itself multiple times over after he finished viewing it - but his people on the ground there were at great risk. On a planet of multiple billions, there was no reason to take unnecessary risks.

As she worked, the camera zoomed in on her and panned, taking time on her calves, thighs, hips, the curve of her ass, the swell of her breasts, and then, almost as if it was coordinated between photographer and subject, she seemed to look up and right at the camera, her face all but filling the screen. Snatching up the remote, he thumbed the pause button and stood from the couch. Only a few feet from the bright screen he stopped, his eyes intently studying her eyes, cheekbones, hairline, the plump cushion of her lips, the roundness of her chin. Absently he lifted his glass to his own lips and drank some of the liquor from within it, nodding to himself as he swallowed. Physically, she seemed to be ideal. It was hard to see it, and most probably wouldn't when they looked at her, but he had an artists' eye for these things. The woman he wanted was in there.

Turning his back to the screen, he lowered himself onto the leather again and hit the Play button, the video jolting back into life again.

She didn't see the photographer, of course, and looked away from his direction without the slightest hint that she was the subject of a video that would make it's way thousands of miles, across seas and oceans, to the eyes of another. As she disappeared through the doorway carrying another box, the screen went black, casting the room in dim light again. Text filled the screen night, white letters that shone brightly against the black background, and he read quickly over the details his investigators had gathered. Name, age, date of birth, height and weight, measurements, even her shoe size was displayed, and not for the first time he marveled at what you could obtain with enough money.

Next, her educational history was displayed. Not only had they been able to track down literally every school she'd attended in her life, but transcripts, where applicable, were shown for each. To his delight, she had been a consistently great student, with hardly a blemish on the entirety of her record. Employment history followed, and he was once again pleased by what he saw. One of her employers had run their own background check and a psychological evaluation, and these were also presented for him, more internal documents that no longer were.

Finally, her personal details. The names of friends and family, those still alive and those deceased, how often she spoke with them, who she was seeing. The fact that she was single was a large plus, and her current unemployment and the new move both worked to make the job of his men that much easier. What few negatives there were, and he saw very few, were easily made up for by how easy obtaining her may prove to be.

The screen simply went black at the end of this, nothing in the video identifying who shot it or who it was shot for. His television went into hibernation mode as he heard the fan of his computer speed up while the processor worked to erase the file beyond the ability of anyone to recover. Sitting in the darkness, he sipped on the alcohol in his glass as he pondered all he'd just seen. It was not the first video he'd seen in the last few days, and he doubted it would be the last, but unknown to the girl within it, she had climbed to the top of the heap with ease.

The glass was drained and left on the small table in front of the couch for the maid to clear after he'd gone up. Setting the remote next to it, he extinguished the lights in the study and left the room, the door still standing open behind him to signify that the room was available for cleaning. Making his way up to the large master suite, he undressed in the darkness and stood at the window, overlooking the water below.

A short time later, he lifted his phone off the bedside table and fired off a quick, two-word text before slipping between the sheets and sleeping deep and peacefully.

"Take her."


------------​



The story of how Mathieu Bonhomme came to acquire his vast fortune, at such a relatively young age, was almost as unknown as the man himself. Barely into his 30's, he was the subject of some rumor and speculation, and his reclusive nature only fueled the whispers. Some claimed he was a shrewd investor and owned significant portions of a number of companies. Some claimed his fortune was made through invention and creation, or through real estate, or was simply inherited and it left him free to pursue other interests. Some claimed he was a member of the Rothschild banking family. Some refused to believe he even existed. To most of the claims, there was actually a bit of truth.

Mathieu had purchased the uninhabited Isla de la Secuestrador in the Caribbean while still in his 20's, and spent most of his time in a secluded château in France while work was done. Nearly three years later, a sprawling complex had been build on the Island, and once he set foot on it, the fingers of two hands could be used to count the number of times he'd left and returned to any of the continents.

Instead, operatives were paid handsomely to obtain the things he needed, to sit in on meetings, and generally to act as his representative in the rest of the world. For his part, Mathieu disappeared into a lab built under the complex, where he studied, experimented, and, yes, committed a fair share of crimes. Women had been to the island, essentially placed into a medically-induced coma, that never knew it. Many explanations were given for the missing time when they woke in a hospital later - car accident, fall down the stairs, brain aneurysm - though of the changes that they saw in the color of their eyes, the tone of their skin, or any of a thousand other small differences in their body, the doctors were forced to shrug and chalk it up to an unexplained medical mystery.

At last, though, it was time. The process, after one failed attempt, had been perfect, the girl chosen, and all that was left now was to wait.



--------------​


A secretary, who was a temp with no idea of the organization she was working for, had been the one to place the call offering a job interview. Their organization was small but thriving, she explained, and instead of advertising for applicants, they employed head hunters to seek out those they thought would be a perfect fit for their business. Compensation and specific job responsibilities would be discussed at the interview, but as instructed, she hinted that the salary that would be discussed was more than generous. The girl was clearly surprised by the call, but as the women spoke it became obvious that excitement was replacing it, and by the time the connection was severed, the secretary found herself jealous that she'd not been the one receiving the call.

She was paid, handsomely, for her day of work and day of training, and sent home shortly after she placed the call. A week later, curious as to just who she'd worked for those two days, she drove by to find the building empty, the only thing within a sign that leaned against the window, advertising the building as being for lease.


----------​


The office was furnished with items that were all rented, down to the chair he sat in. The interview was scheduled for 11:00 a.m., the day outside overcast and rainy. To her, he would seem the only person in the small office when she came in. It was only after they'd introduced each other and shook hands, after she was offered a chair across the desk from him and the interviewed seemed to begin in earnest, that she would learn differently.

The two men that entered the same door she'd come through were large, each one filling the doorway as they passed through it, and she just had time to glimpse the syringe that was pulled from a drawer by the man interviewing her before the black bag slid over her head. Her struggle was useless though expected, and the three men easily overpowered her. The needle entered her arm, the plunger was shoved down by the thumb atop it, and her world faded to black.

She was taken quickly out the back door and placed into the back of a van which delivered her to a nearby airport. She was on a private plane and in the air a mere couple hours after arriving for her interview, and some hours after that, as the medication began to wake up and she showed signs of stirring, she was transfered at last to a boat that would take her the last distance to the island.

As night fell the a cool wind blew off the water, Mathieu stood on the dock, watching the approach of the boat. The wait had seemed so long, especially in light of his initial failure, but at last his canvas was arriving. He was anxious to get to work.
 

Four long years and several shitty waitress and secretary jobs later she was here, the city she wanted to be in. Seattle. She smiled to herself as she pulled boxes out of her car; their weight was nothing, really, because of the excitement swelling within her. She managed to find a modest little two bedroom rental. Her studio and writing space would be in the guest room, and her master bedroom had what she always dreamed of having—a walk in closet. Stella Elizabeth White finally felt like an adult. With a few hiccups, and several failed attempts to find love, she finally made it. Far from the reach of her mother and father and brother. Far from the reach of her past flames. This was a new start. This was a new life.

She pulled one of three final boxes out of her trunk, looking toward the sky; she sighed pleasantly and smiled, too caught up in the exhilaration and freedom she finally found to notice anything out of the ordinary. What could she do with a bachelor’s degree in English, with a minor in art? Well, that would be the challenge—but for now, with a few thousand in savings and a few more in checking, she had enough to survive until that question could be answered. She turned on her heel back towards the house, where she entered. Each box within the home was labeled by room. She only had about seven—the rest of her belongings (which were currently at her mothers and fathers in Florida) would be arriving in the next few days.

She placed the box on the counter in the kitchen, turned, and walked out to grab the last two boxes. She set them down, gently, on the concrete sidewalk, slammed her trunk shut and looked down the neighborhood street. She saw a black van, sitting, seemingly out of place, watched a man walk to it with a camera around his neck. She smiled. There were so many artists here, she wondered what he was getting himself into, what things he’d take pictures of or record. Maybe he was a blogger? She was, for a long while, in high school and college. She shook her head, allowing the questions to leave her mind and grabbed the boxes up, walking slowly towards her new home. She swung the door shut with her left heel and placed the other two boxes on the counter adjacent from the single one she placed earlier.

Now came the unpacking.

------​

She woke up the next morning in a daze, hearing her cellphone ring. She yawned and frowned at the number—who in the world would be calling her exactly, and at seven in the morning, seriously? She laughed at herself. She sounded like a spoiled college student. Normal people got up earlier than seven just to get ready for work. She waited for it to go to voice mail. Waited a moment longer for it to notify her that there was, in fact a message left behind. She yawned and stretched her arms towards the ceiling, grabbing her phone. She fumbled with it a moment, stuck it in her pajama shorts pockets and wandered to the kitchen, scratching her bare stomach. She rummaged through one of her boxes, grabbing a K-Cup out, sugar, and creamer. She turned to the machine that made such delightful things, turned it on and waited for it to warm up. She was too sleepy to register that she should probably listen to the voicemail. A cup of coffee would do the trick, and maybe a bagel. She walked to the cabinet that she stored her dry goods in, grabbing for her cinnamon raison bagels. She smiled and grabbed one out, spread it apart, and placed it in the toaster. By this time, the water was to temperature, she put the K-cup in the machine, a cup beneath the reservoir and pressed the small cup button. She twirled her hair between her forefinger and thumb, and leaned against the counter. Her phone buzzed in her pocket, she was suddenly aware, again, of what had happened to wake her up. She quickly grabbed it out, stared at it, fiddled with the buttons to get to her voicemail and listened.

The message was short and simple. She was to come to an interview at the specified location at 11:00 am the following Monday. It was for a company she hadn’t heard of, but it sounded something fantastic; she didn’t even have to go through the monotonous task of applying everywhere online–someone at the university must have set this up for her! She’d certainly have to thank them if she, in fact, passed the interview. She grinned and turned back to her coffee, making it with two teaspoons of sugar and two teaspoons of creamer, calling the number back to make sure she’d get the 11-o-clock spot. The woman who answered told her everything she needed to know about the organization, and that starting salary there was more than an entry position. She grinned and graciously accepted the interview, thanked the woman and hung up. She giggled and beamed, turning back to her coffee and bagel. What a lovely change of fate, indeed. She’d finally have a REAL job; she could only hope her best interview outfit would be here with the rest of her stuff.

------​

She was gorgeously adorned in a modest little form fitting red dress—her mother always insisted she wore red to interviews, it was a ‘power color-- but she broke up the color with a black clincher belt at her natural waist, black heals and off-black thigh-high socks that appeared, from the length of her dress, to be full-length stockings. She entered the building with a friendly smile, introduced herself to the man who sat in the seemingly empty office space; despite the weather her disposition was sunnier than California. As she was told to take a seat she pulled out her resume from a small black binder and leaned in to hand it to him—around this time she heard the door behind her open, glanced behind her and saw two rather large men come in. Her face began to pale, she looked from the man behind the table, who appeared to be removing what looked like a syringe, to the two thugs, and it was all blackness from there.

No, it couldn’t be?

She struggled, in vain, screaming, tearing at whoever’s skin with her well maintained, natural long nails. She wouldn’t, no, she couldn’t go out like this. One man grabbed one of her flailing arms and the other put her in a chokehold. She felt a sharp prick on her right shoulder, a dizziness caught her and she tried with all her might to get away—but it was too late, the drug, whatever it was, was working its way through her system and she immediately fell out of consciousness...

------​

It had all been a bad dream. She knew she’d wake up in her bed, at home, the day before the move, and everything would be alright. She knew her mother would make a disgusting calorie-laden breakfast for her father and try and offer her some of it; she would politely decline and go about the rest of her day packing her nick-knacks away in boxes to take to her new place in Washington.

No, wait, the wind was wrong.

Her mind started reeling.

The smell of the ocean?

She heard the motor of a boat running in the background.


‘Open your eyes, Stella, open your eyes,’ she commanded herself silently.

Her eyes opened, but there was still a black knapsack of some variety obstructing her vision. She wiggled her arms—they were bound behind her, but loosely. She smiled beneath the bag, working her small wrists free from the bounds; she took off the bag, then, and looked around. No one was in what appeared to be a galley of the boat. She glanced around, crawling slowly to the door, so not to be noticed by any human who may pass by the windows. She waited a moment, peeked out the windowed door leading out of the galley. She saw a brightly lit dock in the distance coming closer-closer-closer. It was time, now; time to make a plan.

As soon as the boat stopped she waited beside the door for someone to come get her. When someone finally did—a relatively small someone—she pounced on him, taking her remaining heel off and banging him over the head with it. She ducked down and scampered out of the galley, around the edge of the deck. She could hop out and swim, she thought—but where the hell was she and how far away was the mainland? She dashed to the starboard side of the boat, hearing someone scream something and other someones scampering off to find her. She noted a man on the dock, slipped and fell on the salty, wet deck of the boat, swearing. She got back up, running around the other end of the boat—there stood the two goons, the big guys from earlier. She smiled at them and took a sharp turn left, up the stairwell to the captain’s office. She reached to open the door only to find it locked. She frowned, desperate, the two goons were coming up the stairs now, and she… she had nowhere to go… but down… She looked at the water, looked at the goons, looked at the man on the dock, and with a not so polite hand gesture to him, she leapt from the stairwell into the ocean and began swimming with all her strength and speed.
 
Last edited:
A small collection of men waited at the end of the dock as the boat approached, it's motor running on low. Just enough to fight the tug of water back away from the small island, the low rumble of the engine reaching him as he stood, and waited. He felt like the owner of a gallery, watching as a rare and expensive piece was being delivered, watching always on the verge of panic that it would be dropped, bumped, cracked, ruined, and something rare and beautiful would be lost forever.

Perhaps rare and eventually beautiful would be more precise.

The boat docked, ropes tossed ashore and quickly tied down to secure it, and then Mathieu watched with a growing, blooming horror as his nightmare became reality in front of him. The girl, her red standing out in the harsh glow of the sodium lights illuminating the dock, sprang free from the boathouse, clearly free of her bonds and not carried by the man who had gone in to retrieve her. The risks were instantly apparent to him as he watched her run barefoot around the boat, excited men chasing after her.

If one of them damaged her in an attempt to recover what should've never become free in the first place, he'd kill them the moment they touched dry land, with no hesitation or remorse. Authorities would not be visiting his island to ask about some poor buffoon that no one of any consequence was missing, and the vast ocean and all the terrible things swimming in it would take care of any evidence should anyone come snooping.

There was also the possibility that she fell or managed to damage herself in some other way in her futile escape attempts. Most damage could probably be fixed, but she was perfect now in her imperfections, flawed in just the ways he knew he could fix, and any changes to that may push her past the point of being redeemable. Useful still, perhaps, but not what he sought, and his long search may have to begin anew.

The third possibility seemed suddenly to be the most likely as he watched her look directly at him, give him the finger, and jump for the water. Her descent seemed to take an eternity, arms pinwheeling through cool ocean air before she finally broke the surface and disappeared into the dark water.

"Goddammit," he muttered under his breath, finally leaving his post where he had been waiting for his delivery. At the end of the dock, men quickly worked to untie ropes they had just tied down, working to free the boat so they could go retrieve his new possession from the waters they had lost it in. With the sun gone, and given the time of year, even the surface temperature of the water would be bone-chilling by now, and he knew it would not be long before she was more desperate to get away from the cold than she was to get away from him. Survival was such a strong instinct.

His pace down the dock, then, was strangely casual, a sharp contrast to the hurried movements of the men as they grabbed life jackets and turned on the bright overhead lights of the boat to illuminate the water further. A look of disgust met the man nearest him as he paused by the edge of the dock, irritation at their incompetence and at the need for him now to step on board the boat to oversee the cleanup of their mess, and then he stepped aboard and the boat pushed away.

Walking around to the other side, his steps were virtually silent on the deck of the ship, the dark charcoal of his slacks and deep black of his zippered jacket seemingly out of place among the dress of those that moved about him, working to retrieve the girl. He stood at the railing and watched her surface, gasping for air, and begin to swim away from them. Shaking his head, he made no effort to hide the roll of his eyes at the pathetic show he found himself in, the leather of his gloves flexing as he gripped the railing tighter.

They caught up with the girl easily, no swimmer would be a match for the power of a craft that could safely travel the distances across open water that this one did, and he leaned forward over the railing, shouting to be heard over the sound of boat's engine.

"Look around you, girl! We're hundreds of miles from any other land!"

His lip curled into a sneering, contemptuous smile.

"Or have you never seen Jaws?"
 
Back
Top