Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 03-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
joelafayette
Really Experienced

How do you read erotica?

I've been reading your stories for over twelve years now. I've noticed a disturbing trend. I have much less patience to read an entire story now, even though my speed reading skills and comprehension have improved a lot.

Are any of you getting more and more ADD in this regard over time?

How do you cope? I usually skim to the sex to evaluate if it is arousing, but by doing this, I risk missing some exposition that could make the sex hotter. But based on some of your feedback to mine and others' stories, it's clear you start at the beginning, and if it's not hot, you stop reading. But then others freely admit they hit the fast forward button.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

I imagine that it's a function of your coming to read erotica. At the beginning it's all new to you with a sense of the somewhat forbidden. It slowly becomes ho hum and same-same because so much of it is, well, same-same. The arousal novelty of it thins out. But there are new writers and readers coming to it all the time, so everyone's reaction would be different.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
soflabbwlvr
Prescription Strength

For a variety of reasons, I'm not reading as much as I used to. Lately, I'll find an author and mine through his/her story page, picking out one at a time and reading start to finish. This happens, of course, after I've already read a piece by this particular author and decided I liked the style.

Most often, I scan the new story list or a category hub and pull up about 10-12 stories that look interesting. I usually discard anything over five pages, and definitely anything over ten. Once I have a critical mass of stories opened, I start reading them in order. Most are discarded within the first three-five paragraphs because I'm not impressed. If I make it to the bottom of the first page, then I'll read the entire thing.

If I make it to the end, I give it a score between 3 and 5, and then leave a comment. I try to comment on every story I read, but sometimes I'm reading from a device where that is impractical. On those occasions, if I remember, I'll comment the next time an opportunity arises.

Deep Undercover

Pussy Rules

Old 03-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
patientlee
It's me, Lzzy. I swear.

I tend to do the opposite. I skim the sex to get to the story. What's the matter with me??

(Don't answer that question!)

My Stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 03-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.

The world always welcomes good stories.

My present agenda is to embroider the sex around an interesting story or stories.

In the latest tale an ambitious pimp rides the bus from the state prison to his city, to recruit women, he also recruits robust African male foreign students from the city university, to service his white female clients. The girls are generally drug free, healthy, and desperate for money. He has an ongoing struggle with other pimps, whom he shoots when necessary. Most of his female clients are unhappy wives. And more.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

in commando attire

Big Banana (incest-SF) - "think you have had too much sex with your banana slug. as a writer you SUCK. delete and stop posting until you learn how to write..." -Anon
Jenny Be Fair 02 (incest-humor) - "Total shit - smug, shit-eating, stupid and up-your-own ass... No stars." -Anon
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anon
Under His Eyes (LW / satire) - "YOU ARE A SICK FUCK. WHY WOULD YOU WRITE THIS HORRIBLY VILE STORY. THIS IS HUMANITY AT ITS WORST. I ONLY SKIMMED TO SEE WHAT CRAP IT WAS. YOU NEED TO BE LOCKED AWAY FROM ANYONE YOU COULD HURT FOR REAL. MINUS 1 BILLION ISN'T ENOUGH. DON'T WRITE ANYMORE." -Anon

NEW: Like A Hole In The Head (Fetish)
(Summer Lovin' contest) Prickly Pairs (LW)
A Taste of Incest: Lemonade (Incest)

Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

I might suggest you cut out the speed reading and take the stories one line at a time. I have a feeling you are missing the story and concentrating to much on the sex.

Just my hunch and opinion. Your mileage may vary.

New Story: Marley 08/21/14 Interracial Summer Lovin' Contest

Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 03-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
Swilly
Literotica Guru

Honestly, since I've started writing again, I don't read much of anything. Go figure. In the past, I'd say it depended upon my mood, and/or how much time I had available.

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

My tag team submission with co-author xelliebabex:

http://www.literotica.com/s/the-rhythm-method

Old 03-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
Zeb_Carter

I'd lie down, but my desktop doesn't sit well on my chest.

Oh, I do have a notebook that does though.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
patientlee
It's me, Lzzy. I swear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb_Carter View Post
I'd lie down, but my desktop doesn't sit well on my chest.

Oh, I do have a notebook that does though.
You only need one hand to hold and scroll an iphone.

My Stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
Zeb_Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patientlee View Post
You only need one hand to hold and scroll an iphone.
Oh you dirty girl.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #12
SamScribble
Yeah, still just a guru

I start at the beginning and read, one word at a time, until I have no inclination to read any further.

If the writing is good enough - and the characters and the story are engaging enough - to keep me reading to the end, then I usually give it four or five stars. But ... it's not often that a story keeps me reading to the end.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #13
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.

I give a story one page (300 words) of attention before I abandon it. In JBJ WORLD a good tale captures you and drags you to the end, its not a forced march. I recently read BERLIN DIARY by William Shirer, I read it 30-40 pages at a sitting, effortlessly. Most books I read 2 pages at a time, if I like it at all.

Yesterday I read 2-3 LIT high scored stories, and was bored. The plots: Wifey discovers her lust for monsta meat at the local truck stop, work, etc., and she cant contain her obsession and appetite for it. Yawn.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 AM   #14
Zeb_Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBJOHNSON View Post
I give a story one page (300 words) of attention before I abandon it. In JBJ WORLD a good tale captures you and drags you to the end, its not a forced march. I recently read BERLIN DIARY by William Shirer, I read it 30-40 pages at a sitting, effortlessly. Most books I read 2 pages at a time, if I like it at all.

Yesterday I read 2-3 LIT high scored stories, and was bored. The plots: Wifey discovers her lust for monsta meat at the local truck stop, work, etc., and she cant contain her obsession and appetite for it. Yawn.
Hey that was some of my best work!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #15
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb_Carter View Post
Hey that was some of my best work!
My favorite part was when wifey went to the truck stop restroom and satisfied every guy in the place. I'm guessing she has problems smelling.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #16
Desiremakesmeweak
Literotica Guru

I think that as a whole, the titles are becoming fairly bland... And, I think it shows lack of thought going into the stories. I can't recall a single story I have read with an 'average quality' title where the contents got any better than average either.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiremakesmeweak View Post
I think that as a whole, the titles are becoming fairly bland... And, I think it shows lack of thought going into the stories. I can't recall a single story I have read with an 'average quality' title where the contents got any better than average either.
My wisdom-of-the-week is from Ursula K LeGuin: "First sentences are doors to worlds." Some LIT authors allow the story's first line to become the subtitle. If that first line is compelling, a vivid portal into another world, then it may overcome a weak main title. I may resubmit my rejected story THE PHARMACIST (RANDY'S REVENGE) with a new first line and subtitle: "Everybody hates a freak." That's no garantee that my sardonic erotic-horror tale is above average (PM me for a copy) but it may grab eyeballs.

Big Banana (incest-SF) - "think you have had too much sex with your banana slug. as a writer you SUCK. delete and stop posting until you learn how to write..." -Anon
Jenny Be Fair 02 (incest-humor) - "Total shit - smug, shit-eating, stupid and up-your-own ass... No stars." -Anon
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anon
Under His Eyes (LW / satire) - "YOU ARE A SICK FUCK. WHY WOULD YOU WRITE THIS HORRIBLY VILE STORY. THIS IS HUMANITY AT ITS WORST. I ONLY SKIMMED TO SEE WHAT CRAP IT WAS. YOU NEED TO BE LOCKED AWAY FROM ANYONE YOU COULD HURT FOR REAL. MINUS 1 BILLION ISN'T ENOUGH. DON'T WRITE ANYMORE." -Anon

NEW: Like A Hole In The Head (Fetish)
(Summer Lovin' contest) Prickly Pairs (LW)
A Taste of Incest: Lemonade (Incest)

Old 03-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #18
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

The first sentence just needs to invite the reader to continue. Too many authors have been bamboozled into spending too much time on the first sentence and not enough on the rest of the text. I often start my stories in the middle of a discussion, working on the technique of starting in a bit of confusion and engaging the reader's mind immediately on digging their way to understanding. There are readers who have to have it all make sense from the get go, but I'm writing for the ones who like puzzles and having their minds actively engaged in discovery.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #19
geronimo_appleby
Pope Ben - Ret'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBJOHNSON View Post

you're still a trolling cunt.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #20
MeredithEighty8
Literotica Guru

I have to be in that kind of mood, but if I'm alone: I'll take a nice, leisurely bath, pour myself a glass of wine and crawl into bed. Sometimes I've already flagged the stories/authors I want to read but often I just scroll through my favorite category (non-consent) until I find the right one.

I read each word, savoring the story and the characters and if indeed it is a good story (sexual, sensual, well thought out, reasonably well written) at some point the bottoms come off or my hand slips under my night shirt and I start to play until the enjoyable deed is done

I've found more good stories on Lit than bad, but you'd be surprised how often I stop reading after a few paragraphs because the story is just plain "stoopid" and difficult to get into.

http://www.literotica.com/s/to-love-and-obey-ch-05 NEW - Robert and Cassie: Happily ever after?

http://www.literotica.com/s/to-love-and-obey-ch-04 - Robert deals with Cassie's infidelity & pregnancy.

http://www.literotica.com/s/to-love-and-obey-ch-03 - Robert's jealousies and insecurities erupt.

http://www.literotica.com/s/to-love-and-obey-ch-02 - Young Cassie deals with Robert's obsession and lust

http://www.literotica.com/s/to-love-and-obey ch 01 - Marriage to a sexually and emotionally jaded older man.

http://www.literotica.com/s/like-a-good-neighbor-5 - Young Woman Older Man Enjoy a Summer hook-Up

http://www.literotica.com/s/daddylover - Father/Daughter Incest Results in Pregnancy

http://www.literotica.com/s/dr-dorhring-1 - Older Man With Obsession, Drugs Unsuspecting Girl

http://www.literotica.com/s/jeremiah-wolf-progenitor - Stalked, Sexually Assaulted and Impregnated by a Werewolf

Old 03-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #21
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru

How do you read erotica?

Usually one word at a time.

Handley Page

"Incident at Cemetery Junction"
"Pest Control"
"Mavis's Car Trip"
"Norman-the-dragon "
"Stacy & the Angel "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 03-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #22
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handley_Page View Post
How do you read erotica?

Usually one word at a time.
I'll have to admit that I scan. And I often flip over the sex scene(s) to take in the story (if there is one) first. And then go back and read the sex scene(s).