Any pitfalls in just not bothering with an editor?

'It stems from my historic education in English Literature. We were required to deconstruct and analyze everything. For years that destroyed any enjoyment in that particular classic. I find that editing except for typos damages the spontaneity of my writing and I get writer's block. '

I only did a basic BA so I was no where near your level but the analyzing ruined reading novels as a form of entertainment for me for years.

I suppose that's the sacrifice Editors make come to think of it; we read for pleasure they read to see the work is correct. Not nearly as much fun as simply enjoying a story and bordering on the Masochistic really- bless 'em.

The idea of writers reading each others' stories before they are posted sound's worthwhile although I have no idea how to go about finding one.

Oh and I hope my little aside about editors hasn't hurt anyone's feelings; I meant it admiringly.

I find it odd.....

I'm just wondering because I haven't been able to get one. Not one that was any use.

Is it compulsory to have one?

----------------------

I find it odd that you have not been able to find a good editor.

Having said that, it NOT compulsory for you to have an editor look your story over before you submit it to the site.

However, unless your writing is technically perfect, meaning you don't use 'to' when you meant 'too' or their when you meant there or they're, then you probably don't need an editor, but if you've never written so much as a word and or have never had an online blog or what have you, I would strongly recommend you get an editor, at the risk of having you get called out for bad writing.

Trust me, having just one word misspelled the same way every time it appears in your story is a mood killer.

It's not odd for a Lit author not to find an editor. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

----------------------

I find it odd that you have not been able to find a good editor.

Having said that, it NOT compulsory for you to have an editor look your story over before you submit it to the site.

However, unless your writing is technically perfect, meaning you don't use 'to' when you meant 'too' or their when you meant there or they're, then you probably don't need an editor, but if you've never written so much as a word and or have never had an online blog or what have you, I would strongly recommend you get an editor, at the risk of having you get called out for bad writing.

Trust me, having just one word misspelled the same way every time it appears in your story is a mood killer.

A good editor?

Any editor.

As for the word choices; I'm pretty good at those. As I say I battle along suspecting the result would be a whole lot better if someone else battled alongside me.

I have asked a few if they would be interested but no one has been up to now and it's really unpleasant being snubbed so I won't bother any more.

I'm just wondering because I haven't been able to get one. Not one that was any use.

Is it compulsory to have one?
So far i have not used an editor for 26 submissions. Of course i make errors, but only once have they been severe enough to have my story rejected. I would love to have a person i could trust to edit my work in a principled way, but am scared I will end up with someone like JJ who would rather criticize everyone and argue night and day. I don't have time for BS, I am too busy writing.

However I have edited for several writers. Sometimes it is a pain in the ass, because it is obvious that the writer has not taken even the slightest effort to go over the work himself.. Other times I feel like the teacher I have always been. For the most part, my writers have been grateful and appreciative. For that I am thankful.

it matters not, sometimes how many people edit or proofread a story. In almost every book I read now days I find errors as I read. So it is a toss up. i guess the questions are: can i find a good editor with whim I can work?

Do i trust my own work enough to wing it?

Last edited:
So far i have not used an editor for 26 submissions. Of course i make errors, but only once have they been severe enough to have my story rejected. I would love to have a person i could trust to edit my work in a principled way, but am scared I will end up with someone like JJ who would rather criticize everyone and argue night and day. I don't have time for BS, I am too busy writing.

However I have edited for several writers. Sometimes it is a pain in the ass, because it is obvious that the writer has not taken even the slightest effort to go over the work himself.. Other times I feel like the teacher I have always been. For the most part, my writers have been grateful and appreciative. For that I am thankful.

it matters not, sometimes how many people edit or proofread a story. In almost every book I read now days I find errors as I read. So it is a toss up. i guess the questions are: can i find a good editor with whim I can work?

Do i trust my own work enough to wing it?

I write, and also edit. Self-edit mine. Have 315 stories accepted. Not many complaints. Lots of experience.

Editors not required, just helpful when asked upon.

Keep writing!

Well obviously there are

I have a story which went well on XNXX and which I submitted here. It was rejected for capitals etc. I went through it ,got it right, and it has been rejected again.

It is certainly as good grammar wise as the other six and yet it has been rejected.

I have to suspect that anything I write here will be rejected because I wrote it and Ma'am doesn't like me. So I won't bother now. Not with Literotica.

And yes I'm sure this final post of mine will get sneering responses from SR71 and co but all I ever want on a site is to be treated fairly.

I haven't been so that's it.

See you later.

You think so?

In my experience of writers we're insecure competitive little dears, we'd spend all our time rubbishing each others work under the guise of fulsome praise.

Did you consider the word "unctuous" instead of "fulsome"? Just a suggestion, no criticism intended, although it certainly isn't my fault if your fragile ego takes it that way. You're welcome. Bastard.

Last edited:
I have a story which went well on XNXX and which I submitted here. It was rejected for capitals etc. I went through it ,got it right, and it has been rejected again.

It is certainly as good grammar wise as the other six and yet it has been rejected.

I have to suspect that anything I write here will be rejected because I wrote it and Ma'am doesn't like me. So I won't bother now. Not with Literotica.

And yes I'm sure this final post of mine will get sneering responses from SR71 and co but all I ever want on a site is to be treated fairly.

I haven't been so that's it.

See you later.

Ma'am as you put it, doesn't like bad punctuation, and the three stories of yours I just read, are riddled with it. Open parentheses, mismatched quotation marks, run-on sentences, dialog from more than one character in the same paragraph, sentences starting without a space separating them, and so on.

Just because those six got through, doesn't mean she won't eventually reject one. You claiming its personal, or some sort of vendetta against you is absurd to be honest. Do you really think Laurel has the time to research your what, 80 posts, and form an opinion of you?

Your original post asked if there are any pitfalls to not using an editor, and this is a pretty clear answer I think. Yes, stories get rejected when the grammar and punctuation are sub par. Get an editor and you can solve the problem, or you can blame it on a conspiracy theory.

Back