Someone's stolen my work and is selling it as their own! Please help!

Player0

Virgin
Contact a lawyer asap or if you can't afford one contact a local lawyer and ask the receptionist if they know of anyone that offers free advice.

Some lawyers will donate some of their spare time to give legal advice to those who can't afford to pay.

Google does have a contact us/report an issue when it comes to copyright etc

https://support.google.com/websearch/troubleshooter/6113172

Last edited:
The work is being sent to the distributors by Lulu. I just went to the so-called "author's" page, searched the excerpts of every book on the page, and found them here written by different authors.

I used the report function on Lulu and sent links to all of the works on Lulu with the corresponding links to where they were stolen from here, as well as a link to this thread demonstrating that at least one of the authors isn't an "alternate pen name" of this thief. That's the usual lame excuse they try to use to get out of having everything eradicated when they're stealing from multiple authors.

If Lulu has any scruples, this scumbag and all of the stolen work will be gone shortly.

For future reference, you'll get quicker action with help in the Authors' Hangout section of the forum for matters such as this, and you'll probably alert other authors who have been stolen from as well.

For future reference of anyone finding themselves in this situation, as often as not, simply linking to your free original posting is enough to get a distributor or publisher to pull the work without having to fill out a full formal DMCA takedown request, if you're concerned about revealing your real information in one of those.

A free version being available devalues the work for their business, and an obvious earlier publishing date screams plagiarism. It also violates their terms and conditions many times.

Last edited:
The reality: Anything you post online is gone. You no longer own or control it. Sites around the world give not a shit about ownership and propriety. For US-based authors, copyright is a sick joke. Just figure that you are freely gifting the world with your work.

The reality: Anything you post online is gone. You no longer own or control it. Sites around the world give not a shit about ownership and propriety. For US-based authors, copyright is a sick joke. Just figure that you are freely gifting the world with your work.

Strange - the post immediately above this states action that RejectReality took on behalf of the OP, and I do recall RR doing something similar before. So maybe there are things that can be done, rather than just give in.

Good advice from RR. I occasionally wonder if any of my stuff has been stolen, I should go look.

Strange - the post immediately above this states action that RejectReality took on behalf of the OP, and I do recall RR doing something similar before. So maybe there are things that can be done, rather than just give in.
Both. Sometimes complaining gives results. I'm not saying to give in. Just don't be astounded when your work takes residence on Kazakh servers.

Good advice from RR. I occasionally wonder if any of my stuff has been stolen, I should go look.
I've not seen my own stories stolen. Should I feel offended that they're not worth a theft?

Hypoxia is very much right that you have to expect your stuff to be stolen from the moment you put it out in the public eye. Once something is loose on the internet, you lose control over it to some extent.

If you fret too much over it, you'll spend all your time playing whack-a-mole, constantly complaining to sites to remove your stuff that somebody else has horked.

Doesn't mean that you can't take a small bit of satisfaction in smacking down one of the bits of green scum on the edge of the human gene pool here and there. The ones who are trying to make money off it are a good choice of where to focus any energy in this area.

Still waiting for Lulu to respond.

Sarah Smith seems to write a lot of stuff, she puts Barbara Cartland to shame.

Surely the sheer volume is impractical and is evidence of plagiarism on its own.

Still haven't heard back from Lulu, and the work is still up under the thief's name.

If Lulu hasn't bothered to respond by the time I get home from work tomorrow, I think I'll go through and report all of them at the distribution locations. They're available at Google, Amazon, and the iBookstore.

Then I think I'll tweet the links to Lulu and ask why they're publishing a plagiarist who is profiting from the work of others. See if that gets their attention.

Still haven't heard back from Lulu, and the work is still up under the thief's name.

If Lulu hasn't bothered to respond by the time I get home from work tomorrow, I think I'll go through and report all of them at the distribution locations. They're available at Google, Amazon, and the iBookstore.

Then I think I'll tweet the links to Lulu and ask why they're publishing a plagiarist who is profiting from the work of others. See if that gets their attention.

Thanks so much for taking such initiative on this man

Well, there's some progress. I finally got an answer back, and all of the thief's stolen content has been removed from Lulu.

I see that it's still up at Google and Amazon, listed as being published by Lulu. We'll see if they vanish from there in a reasonably short time, or whether the books need to be reported to the distributors as well.

Well, there's some progress. I finally got an answer back, and all of the thief's stolen content has been removed from Lulu.

I see that it's still up at Google and Amazon, listed as being published by Lulu. We'll see if they vanish from there in a reasonably short time, or whether the books need to be reported to the distributors as well.

If LULU runs anything like Smashwords, they can remove books from their site immediately, but it can take up to a couple of weeks to get them pulled from affiliates.

At least it's likely the scumbag is no longer getting paid, because the publisher has removed the work. Authors are probably paid by the publisher for affiliate sales. Everyone else is still profiting off anything sold at the distributors, but not the scumbag.

What do you suppose would be the impact of posting a 1-star review of all of "Sarah Smith's" books, with text saying that the content has been stolen?

Pilot, your thoughts?

What do you suppose would be the impact of posting a 1-star review of all of "Sarah Smith's" books, with text saying that the content has been stolen?

Pilot, your thoughts?

Not if you do it for more than a few books on Amazon. I did that under my real name for some scam books from the same publisher and Amazon said my comments were spam and suspended my ability to both comment and write reviews forever and ever, amen. Contacted Amazon and it was so sad, too bad, fuck off. So I deleted my Amazon account, deleted all my reviews and fuck them.

Sorry, that's a sore point, but I wouldn't recommend that approach. Amazon are the most un-customer friendly assholes around.

I don't think he left. He mentioned that story might be the last under the Pilot pen name and he might just write under some of his other names here. I don't think he ever said anything about leaving the boards.

He's probably lurking and gnashing his teeth, trying not to respond. Cut his fingers off, maybe, so he can't use the keyboard...

I don't think he left. He mentioned that story might be the last under the Pilot pen name and he might just write under some of his other names here. I don't think he ever said anything about leaving the boards.

Pilot met his goal for that nom de plume. I wouldn't be surprised if he changed to a different name. I'm looking for some new participant with an attitude and a phallic reference in their name.

He's probably lurking and gnashing his teeth, trying not to respond. Cut his fingers off, maybe, so he can't use the keyboard...

Or he could be on vacation from the winter cold. He takes a couple or three cruises a year, so...

Or he could be on vacation from the winter cold. He takes a couple or three cruises a year, so...

Just when I need a real pilot!!!!! No consideration, I tell you. None! Cruises. Schmoozes. Doesn't he know I'm writing a story and there's a faint possibility I might need him for help. And he goes on holiday!!!!! Unforgivable! SR71. Apache. No diff. They fly, right? LOL.

And I miss Noir too. Sob!

Just when I need a real pilot!!!!! No consideration, I tell you. None! Cruises. Schmoozes. Doesn't he know I'm writing a story and there's a faint possibility I might need him for help. And he goes on holiday!!!!! Unforgivable! SR71. Apache. No diff. They fly, right? LOL.

Chloe, You can fake it I'm sure...Probably just need to give the reader a hint to get the right feel and all. Here's something that I'm confident will work on any aviation story: As we rushed to get into the air and finish this once and for all, my faithful co-pilot pulled on his goggles, and wrapped his lucky scarf tight before giving the prop one good pull to get us started...the engine popped, sputtered and roared to life as I waited for him to hop on-board for this fateful mission...and, I waited...and, waited...and I...

Wait! Did you say Apache? Is this a western you're writing? No problem, I'm sure that can be faked too :rolleyes:

Pilot met his goal for that nom de plume. I wouldn't be surprised if he changed to a different name. I'm looking for some new participant with an attitude and a phallic reference in their name.

Just look for someone accusing others of telling people how to write then insisting his answer is the only answer.

Having said that I imagine he's on a cruise.

Last edited:

I heard this guys available.

attachment.php

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 0
Chloe, You can fake it I'm sure...Probably just need to give the reader a hint to get the right feel and all. Here's something that I'm confident will work on any aviation story: As we rushed to get into the air and finish this once and for all, my faithful co-pilot pulled on his goggles, and wrapped his lucky scarf tight before giving the prop one good pull to get us started...the engine popped, sputtered and roared to life as I waited for him to hop on-board for this fateful mission...and, I waited...and, waited...and I...

Wait! Did you say Apache? Is this a western you're writing? No problem, I'm sure that can be faked too :rolleyes:

Apache? Western? Nooooooooo altho I do like Louis L'Amour Novels.

This kind of Apache......

Sorry about the size, haven't done a thumb of it yet.

26195335_2057975367754324_8700151587149581367_n.jpg

Back