Uploading Youtube Videos

  • Thread starter Christopher2012
  • Start date
C

Christopher2012

Guest
This may not be the best place for this. However, I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm recording something that I'd like to put up on Youtube. The file size will be massive. The content could be up to 2 hours long, 60 FPS, 1080p.

I've done some tests and for every 30 minutes, the file size is 142 gigs on average. But I'm not sure how long this event will be. So let's just assume the file size will be 568 GB and 2 hours long.

Is that possible to upload on Youtube? And if so, how do I do it?

(There will most likely be some people who will point out that Youtube maxes out at 30 FPS but they have updated that with Chrome. You can watch 60FPS videos now with the Chrome browser.)

Thanks.
 
I doubt anyone would watch the entire thing

As for uploading...what is you upload speed? Let's assume it's 1.5 mbits.

500gbytes / 1.5 mbits = uploading forever.


If I were you I would reduce the size by going to 720 or 480.
 
What is your editing platform? if you're mac based, get compressor and make a high quality mpeg4. That'll drop your file size and keep a lot of quality. (mpeg4 is a GOP structure.) I hope you understand that anything other than your original format will not look as good and ALL web delivery will not be as pristine as your original. That's just a sad fact of life. It's all dependent on the web speed of the end viewers. your mission therefore is to do the testing of various sizes and bitrates until you arrive at an acceptable compromise. Unfortunately you are the only one to make that judgement call.

You might also explore vimeo as an alternative to youtube.
 
Download a trial of Adobe Premiere Pro CC https://creative.adobe.com/products/download/premiere and follow this tutorial
http://youtu.be/hFcE2onrR70

The format of H.264 is essential (see above tutorial)

60 frames per second is way crazy for Youtube. You will spend hours upon hours getting your video up there for it to buffer constantly for your viewers.

You should drop the frame rate down to 23.976 (there is a preset for this as shown in tutorial) - the only difference to the above tutorial is when changing frame rates from original select "Use Frame Blending" in the advanced video settings - watch the tutorial through and you will see where the check box is for that.

The only thing missing from the tutorial is setting up Premiere Pro CC project/Importing video for editing - look for a Youtube tutorial for that if you have difficulty. Versions CS6 and CC make it easy to set up:
1. File/New Project and keep clicking next until you are in the editing area. You can basically ignore the set up settings as Premiere will take care of that for you shortly.
2. File/Import - will prompt you to select your footage. This will bring it into a Project tab.
3. Click&hold&drag vid from Project tab to Video 1 area of Timeline. Premiere will prompt "The clip does not match the sequence's settings. Change sequence to match the clip's settings?" then click "Change sequence settings" button.
4. Follow Youtube tutorial offered above.

Don't be precious about your 60fps - look at the quality of the Youtube tutorial above as an example of what the offered settings can achieve.
 
Back
Top