Shared "Second Pair of Eyes" Sticky Suggestion

sr71plt

Literotica Guru
May I suggest to the forum moderators that a permanent sticky be set on the Editor's Forum where writers can meet to share "second pair of eyes" review of each other's work? Most of what needs to be caught for correction or rethink in a Literotica author's work can be handled by another Literotica author--and there seem to be a lot of Literotica authors looking for review help--and many too being rejected or held up by volunteer editors enjoying the title but not stepping up to the responsibility of the work.

The volunteer editor program here is hopelessly broken; as we have just seen, there are those here who wish to protect bogus and uncommunicative "editors" at the expense of writers; and, truth be known, few claiming to be editors here have any more experience in editing or competent story review than those seeking an editor here.

For the purposes of Literotica, just another fresh pair of eyes on a story manuscript is more than good enough for posting at Literotica. A permanent sticky would help those seeking help and willing to trade reviews a place to hook up--and they could get their story reviewed with a minimum of fuss and get on to writing the next one.

They would just need to list the genre and wordage of their story, including whether it's actually finished or not, and note any genre they are willing/unwilling to review in exchange.

Last edited:
I haven't ignored this, just for the record. I do think the current stickies could use some updating/revamping.

I agree the VE program needs serious work. The monthly thread seemed to be a better option for new writers looking for help. However, even that has problems because people sign up and don't return. We can argue forever that it's a volunteer system and people should respect others and anything else that comes up on the topic. That doesn't help someone who's frustrated because they can't find help.

Do I have answers? No. But your post deserved a reply. And consideration.

:)

The suggestion of a shared second-eyes meeting place doesn't really have to be tied up with the volunteer editor system at all. It is suggesting a "good enough" means to get stories polished up quickly by mutual assistance--and free time to get on with the next story.

And it has the added benefit of being an honest approach--not creating the impression that a trained editor is working the piece, when, in most cases, that's not what is happening with a volunteer "editor."

Doesn't matter much to me--I have an editor dedicated to my writing--and I found him (actually, he found me) on Literotica and that's our arrangement--I edit for him and he edits for me and we don't have to do any of this "at the mercy of anyone" wheels spinning that a good many are suffering here.

Last edited:
The suggestion of a shared second-eyes meeting place doesn't really have to be tied up with the volunteer editor system at all. It is suggesting a "good enough" means to get stories polished up quickly by mutual assistance--and free time to get on with the next story.

And it has the added benefit of being an honest approach--not creating the impression that a trained editor is working the piece, when, in most cases, that's not what is happening with a volunteer "editor."

Doesn't matter much to me--I have an editor dedicated to my writing--and I found him (actually, he found me) on Literotica and that's our arrangement--I edit for him and he edits for me and we don't have to do any of this "at the mercy of anyone" wheels spinning that a good many are suffering here.

Understood.

You're fortunate. We're not all so lucky.

I think fortune can be helped along by helping needs be matched up.

mistress lynn, I think sr is absolutely right. Most of the newish writers want a grammar tidy-up and getting over the hurdle of acceptance. A bit more than beta readers but not full-blown editing. I support him.

mistress lynn, I think sr is absolutely right. Most of the newish writers want a grammar tidy-up and getting over the hurdle of acceptance. A bit more than beta readers but not full-blown editing. I support him.

Thank you for voicing your opinion on this topic. I appreciate your show of support for SR's suggestion.

Problem is if in the OP's opinion the average VE editor here is not much more knowledgeable than an author than what kind of help can a lot of the author's who are always looking for editors give?

I know the advantage is you will find more mistakes in another person's story than your own because you will read it more closely, but in general I don't know how much improvement there will be.

I've look at other people's stories upon request, but only give an opinion based on I thought this and that was good and this and that might need some help, but I never touch grammar I have issues with my own, how will I help some one else?

If I can make a suggestion? Put the link for the writer's resources that can be found in the submission FAQ up top as a sticky. There is a lot of information there that can help author's help themselves.

Problem is if in the OP's opinion the average VE editor here is not much more knowledgeable than an author than what kind of help can a lot of the author's who are always looking for editors give?

I know the advantage is you will find more mistakes in another person's story than your own because you will read it more closely, but in general I don't know how much improvement there will be.

I've look at other people's stories upon request, but only give an opinion based on I thought this and that was good and this and that might need some help, but I never touch grammar I have issues with my own, how will I help some one else?

If I can make a suggestion? Put the link for the writer's resources that can be found in the submission FAQ up top as a sticky. There is a lot of information there that can help author's help themselves.

Thanks for adding your suggestions to the topic.

Readers, or beta readers, give opinions on how the story flows. They look for gaps or inconsistencies in the plot, not errors in grammar or punctuation. A reader can prove to be as helpful as an editor.

My thought for quite some time now has been to reduce the number of stickies and consolidate the information into one updated post. Instead of searching through several threads, the Editor's Forum data/guidelines would be listed together.

Just making a suggestion on how folks can hook up for sufficient help. I've got an editor, so I have no need to push anything.

Doesn't matter much to me--I have an editor dedicated to my writing--and I found him (actually, he found me) on Literotica and that's our arrangement--I edit for him and he edits for me

I think a beta reader is a good idea. If you can find someone who likes your style of writing and the category you write in. No good asking someone to give an appraisal of a story if it’s in a category they dislike.

A writer, much better than myself, asked me to proof read for them after reading comments I’d made on their work. It’s developed from there and we now help each other. Both our work has improved as a result, although in all honesty, I need more help than they do.

If you would like to beta read for a writer leave comments on their stories. If they think it would be to their advantage for you to help them they will contact you. Never try and force yourself on anyone.

Back