Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is an excellent word to know, Trysail, thank you.

I need help on this next entry. Can anyone explain what the gentleman named Ashcroft was referring to in this passage;

"Miss Lyon is in a position to prove that the bulk of the money was paid to Clara Clemens herself for the expense of concert tours and the delightful experience of paying for the hire of concert halls destined to be mainly filled with 'snow' or 'paper'", Ashcroft grimly continued," for the maintenance of her accompanist, Charles E. Walk, and to defray other cash expenditures that an embryonic Tetrezzini is naturally called upon to make."

I searched, but only recipes showed up, arg!

That is an excellent word to know, Trysail, thank you.

I need help on this next entry. Can anyone explain what the gentleman named Ashcroft was referring to in this passage;

"Miss Lyon is in a position to prove that the bulk of the money was paid to Clara Clemens herself for the expense of concert tours and the delightful experience of paying for the hire of concert halls destined to be mainly filled with 'snow' or 'paper'", Ashcroft grimly continued," for the maintenance of her accompanist, Charles E. Walk, and to defray other cash expenditures that an embryonic Tetrezzini is naturally called upon to make."

I searched, but only recipes showed up, arg!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luisa_Tetrazzini

Harold beat me to it. I have recordings of her on original 78rpm records, transcriptions on to 33rpm and cassette. She was a coloratura soprano of considerable ability.

Most of the recordings have too many technical imperfections for modern listeners to judge her performances properly, but she was adored by contemporary audiences.

Og

Harold beat me to it. I have recordings of her on original 78rpm records, transcriptions on to 33rpm and cassette. She was a coloratura soprano of considerable ability.

You at least knew who you were looking for. :D I got lucky with "tetrazzini singer" on my first try at eliminating the recipes -- I had no idea what kind of performer required an accompanist, but the context suggested it wasn't a chef. :p

Thank you so much, Harold, for the info on Luisa and thank you, Og, for the wonderful link. It's a peach.

loggia also loggie - noun a roofed open gallery in the side of a building esp. an upper story overlooking an open court

Today's entry evolved into three;

inauspicious - adj not auspicious

auspicious - adj 1. affording a favorable auspice: PROPITIOUS 2. attended by good auspices: PROSPEROUS

auspice - noun 1. observation in augury, esp. of the flight and feeding of birds 2. a prophetic sign; esp. a favorable sign 3. pl: kindly patronage and guidance: PROTECTION

...auspice - noun 1. observation in augury, esp. of the flight and feeding of birds 2. a prophetic sign; esp. a favorable sign 3. pl: kindly patronage and guidance: PROTECTION

...of similar etymology, the readers of the auspices:

haruspices • (in ancient Rome) A religious official who interpreted omens by inspecting the entrails of sacrificial animals; in Roman and Etruscan religious practice, a haruspex (plural haruspices) was a man trained to practice a form of divination called haruspicy, hepatoscopy or hepatomancy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruspices

Excellent entry, Trysail, thanks so much for adding to mine with such clarity.

1. squelch - noun 1. a sound of or as if of semi-liquid matter under suction 2. the act of suppressing; esp. a retort that silences an opponent

2. squelch - vt 1.a. to fall or stamp on so as to crush b. (1): to completely suppress: QUELL (2) SILENCE 2. to emit or move with a sucking sound ~ vi 1.: to emit a sucking sound like that of an object being withdrawn from the mire 2. to splash through water, slush or mire

Squelch is also a musical term in reference to the quick, sweeping resonant tones of some synthesisers and jew's harps. Other terms for this include squeal, snort, scream, and chug.

Here is a good one to start off the day;

consortium - noun 1. an international business or banking agreement or combination 2. ASSOCIATION, SOCIETY 3. the legal right of one spouse to the company, affection and service of the other

corporation n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.

(Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary)

I am nearing the end of my book, but they are a few good seldom-used words left;

fulminate - verb 1. to utter or send out with denunciation 2. to cause to explode ~ vt 1. to send forth censures or invectives 2. to make a sudden loud noise: EXPLODE

I am nearing the end of my book, but they are a few good seldom-used words left;

fulminate - verb 1. to utter or send out with denunciation 2. to cause to explode ~ vt 1. to send forth censures or invectives 2. to make a sudden loud noise: EXPLODE

The Reverend Forsyth was one of the first people to improve on the flintlock as a method of firing a hand gun. He used fulminates in a "scent bottle". Further experimentation with fulminates produced the percussion cap which is still the basis of the ignition of a brass cartridge in modern guns.

The NRA would be lost without fulminates.

Og

Last edited:
Lingering at Bierce and bodies for a moment, he also wrote:

<<Incorporation, n. The act of uniting several persons into one fiction called a corporation, in order that they may be no longer responsible for their actions. A, B and C are a corporation. A robs, B steals and C (it is necessary that there be one gentleman in the concern) cheats. It is a pundering, thieving, swindling corporation. But A, B and C, who have jointly determined and severally executed every crime of the corporation, are blameless.>>

Patrick

Excellent entry, Trysail, thanks so much for adding to mine with such clarity.

1. squelch - noun 1. a sound of or as if of semi-liquid matter under suction 2. the act of suppressing; esp. a retort that silences an opponent

2. squelch - vt 1.a. to fall or stamp on so as to crush b. (1): to completely suppress: QUELL (2) SILENCE 2. to emit or move with a sucking sound ~ vi 1.: to emit a sucking sound like that of an object being withdrawn from the mire 2. to splash through water, slush or mire

"Squelch" is also the name given to the control on a radio which will inhibit atmospheric noise in the absence of a signal.

Wonderful entries, gentlemen, I do appreciate your input very much. I have yet to use this word in my writings, but it will be included in book two.

salacious - adj 1. arousing sexual desire or imagination: LASCIVIOUS 2. LECHEROUS, LUSTFUL

Lubricious

lubricious
\loo-BRISH-us\ , adjective;
Lustful; lewd.
Stimulating or appealing to sexual desire or imagination.
Having a slippery or smooth quality.

Welcome, Whalee. Here is a word that is not at all pleasant;

pogrom - noun an organized massacre of helpless people; specif: such a massacre of Jews

I seem to recall some British and French folks doing a similar thing to American Indians and they weren't Jewish, at all.

This next one is a phrase;

damnatio memoriae is the Latin phrase literally meaning "damnation of memory" in the sense of removal from remembrance. It was a form of dishonor that could be passed by the Roman Senate upon traitors or others who brought discredit to the Roman State.

Good morning, everyone. The sun is finally shining today!

pince-nez - noun eyeglasses clipped to the nose by a spring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back