Starspeaker IC (Closed for silvertongue217)

Despite what Vera had said about every night being special, Jase had been right. Their last night on vacation had been their most tender yet, each able to truly let go as they sunk into their love. Jase managed to tear away the fear in her heart without knowing it. He was strong and smart, he could hold his own against whatever her enemies might throw at him. She loved him, she could no longer deny it, she only hoped he would still love her shen shd could no longer hide her true self.

~*~

Vera laughed at Jase's wink to Samantha.

"Well, I promised I wouldn't tell her about our sex life... Doesn't mean you can't." She said watching as he out both of their bags in his room.

"Are you sure?" She asked, looking around. This was his ship, his home, and even though he had shared it with her, she was aware that this was a new step, a big one.

"Course plotted to nearest neutral station, you guys will need something o wear to the gala." Samantha announced over the intercom.
 
"Of course I am sure!" Jase said turning to her and rolling his eyes "We just went on vacation together im used to sleeping with you know" he said coming over and kissing her cheek. He moved with a renewed purpose a bounce in his step as he walked back into the main area.

"Thank you Samantha" Jase said happily going and pouring them each a glass of water "So we need to get some thing fancy for the Gala and then we can go scout it out I have been a few times and i am guessing you have to so it should just be a prep job in and out" He said sitting down in a chair and kicking up his feet as he watched her.
 
Vera followed Jase into the main area and took the glass with a thanks.

"I've been to Calcito a fair bit, we should be fine," Vera saidw ith a nod of agreement. "They run guided tours daily just in case you haven't been tot he Hall of Dedication before. If we do one of those it will give us a great chance to scout the basic security and what not."

Vera sat down opposite him and eyes his body appreciatively as he lounged about in his chair.

"Though we will face one huge challenge on the night of the gala.... Well, me in particular. They don't allow weapons through security. They are very strict about that. And even if we do manage to sneak something through my gown will most likely make it difficult to hide anything worthwhile anyway. Have you got anything in your stockpile you think could get through?" Vera asked.
 
"Avery baby you wound me" jase said shaking his head and snorting "I'm a smuggler! Smuggling things into places there not supposed to be is my day job"

He laughed "all our guns will be masked unless they do a pat down which I doubt there going to do to guest I very much doubt we will be in any danger there"

"Now the biggest issue is going to be getting to the orb" jase said shaking his head "if this thing hasn't been found or discovered yet it must mean its buried buried deep we are going to have a hard time drilling down and explosion's will be known right off the bat" he said stroking his chin and leaning back.

"Any idea where the chamber is at?"
 
"Samantha?" Vera turned the question to the AI.

"Not really, to be honest," Samantha admitted as she boosted the ship into hyperdrive. "There is too much interference from all of the damn PEACe equipment there to get a good read. Your best bet is waiting until you get there and hoping the orb does another little dance like it did on the Ice Giant."

Vera sighed, figuring as much as she sat back.

"How on earth are we going to smuggle the orb in as well?" She wondered out loud. It was easily the size of an apple now and wouldn't comfortable hide down the bodice of a fancy gown. "Perhaps in your trousers with your already sizeable bulge?" Vera suggested to Jase with a wink.

"Seriously?!" Samantha blurted.

"Sorry," Vera tried to appear contrite but failed.

"You mentioned dancing though," Vera said, looking up at the roof to infer she was speaking to Samantha, as she hadn't bothered to make her holographic presence known to them in the living area. "We may need to brush up on our skills if we want to blend in. You did say you could dance, didn't you?"
 
"That's true" jase said ignoring the back and forth between the two ladies sin his life and looking at the orb. He starred at it for several long moments before his eyes lit up.

"I kmnow how to smuggle the orb in!" Jase said laughing and clapping his hand "don't you worry about it I will make sure the orb gets into the party so that makes the difficult part the part where you and I have to figure out how to get however many feet down this damn orb is"

"If your done" Samantha said appearing and crossing her arms at them both "jase here does know how to dance but he is a shit teacher so I can train you if your skills are that lacking" she said smirking.

"Careful" jase warned to vera "she's a tyrant of a teacher"
 
Vera snorted at Jase's comment, thinking that Sam was more of a tyrant full stop than just one as a teacher.

"No Sam, I think you'll find my skills are up to scratch. I might be able to teach you a thing or two." Vera returned with a grin. That was an understatement though. Vera's dance skills were faultless. As part of her uprninging her parents had made sure that she would be able to represent herself appropriately in polite society. Dance,while seemingly innocuous , was a foundation of the social pecking order at the events she intended, and as usual she had to be on top. It also helped that she enjoyed dancing, particularly with a good partner.
 
"Hmmpth we will see about that" Samantha huffed before dissapear ing. Jase shook his head more amused than any thing.

"The woman in my life" he murmured before rising up and stretching "Samantha ETA"

"Five hours give or take" came Samanthas reply " jase I'm getting a sluggish pull on the left thruster "

"Hmmm" jase said rubbing his chin "I'll go check it out might be a loose fuse"

He walked over kissing vera lightly on the lips "go relax I got mans work to do" he said puffing out his chest in an exaggerated tone and walking off.
 
Vera watched Jase go with a smile. She got up and cleared the glasses, shakingher head at his exaggerated comment. She went to their room and started to unpack from their holiday, enjoying the memories that flooded her as stray bits of sand dropped from their clothes.

~*~

After unpacking, doing a bit of reading, and having something to eat they arrived at the next station. Vera had a list of things she would need to get to blend themselves in successfully on Calcito, both before and during the gala. The planet was known for its high fashion, so if they arrived for the tour dressed as they did about Jase's ship they would stick out like a sore thumb.

"Do you need to get anything in particular?" Vera asked, getting dressed and arming herself with minimal gear. "I might head straight for the clothes- it's going to be a bit of a task getting the right stuff. Did you want to come along or do you trust my taste to make you look respectable?" She teased.
 
"I trust your fashion sense" jase said shaking his head and smirking at her having dressed into his usual costume. He turned the ramp having descendeds and giving them access to the station.

"I have a few things to pick up for the ship" jase explained "just some basic parts and what not then I'm going tp try and figure out our drilling problem it's to bad we cant get a sense of how deep it is when we case it" he said almost wistfully.
 
"Great! I'm not going to lie though, this might take a while." Vera gave him a kiss on the cheek before heading out.

She was right. The Unity Gala was a glamorous event celebrated by beings from all over the universe, getting the right gear was crucial to them blending in. In the end, with some help from Samantha, Vera bought two gowns for herself, one more revealing than the other which she chose just in case Jase needed to strap items to her. She also managed to pick up something for Jase, which Samantha was more than happy to help her with. Luclkily he would be able to smuggle many things through under his outfit. She also managed to get some on trend gear for them to wear to do their reconnaisaince and booked their tour for the following day.
 
Jase faired better than her, the parts he needed were simple and took him only a half hour to purchase and arrange fpr delivery. With nothing to do he decided to look around and ponder the big problem.

And that was the hard part

The unity hall was the center point of PEACe in a lot of ways and once again jase found it strange the orbs location was literally right on top of it. Jase had a nagging suspicion that they would find the orb already gone taken by the empress who would be the only one privy to its location.

The only other plausible option was that it was buried deep which meant they had to sneak ointo the party and some how drill for it.

Which meant a drill was needed

How to get a drill in then was the question and even after wandering around the station for am hour he had nothing even Samantha was at a loss. He found himself back in front of the ship waiting for vera and scratching his head.
 
"Just trying to figure our drilling problem" jase said kissing her back and helping her onto the ship. He made no comment on her purchases.

"Samantha plot a course to the planet" jase called before turning to her " I am going to GPO to the workshop tinker with some ideas I'll see you later " he dsaid kissing hjer before stealing below deck.

TWO HOURS LATER

"I'm a genius!" Jase said popping into the room and leaning down to give her a deep kiss "I figured it out finally!"
 
Vera spent the time when Jase was tinkering on his drill problem by commuting maps of the Hall and other areas to memory.

"I wouldn't go that far," Vera joked. "So, what's this solution?"
 
"you will just have to wait and see" Jase said leaning down to kiss her before going over to the bridge "Samantha how close are we?"

"About to enter orbit now" Her voice replied a screen showing the cockpit camera popping up. He starred at the planet for several seconds before turning to Vera.

"Avery" he said nodding at the planet "that is two times now the orb has been hidden almost right on top of PEACe are you sure this mission is legit? From the empress? I mean its way to coincidental..... at least I know you have to feel the same way"

He walked over sitting next to her raising an eyebrow "I mean doesnt this seem a little fishy to you?" He asked raising an eyebrow as the ship began to shudder and they entered orbit.
 
"Oh, I hate surprises!" Vera said, curious as tp how he solved their problem.

She listened as he proposed his concerns.

"Honestly? No." Vera said with a shrug. "Yes, it comes from the Chancellor, that much I know. I think she'd be surprised that so many of the pieces had been right under her nose all along. " That much was entirely true. "Perhaps the society that created the orbs were as powerful as the myths stated. Perhaps they used some of the same planets as a power base because they were so suitably placed and with good environments?" Vera pondered. "Why, where else would it come from?" Vera was curious as to Jase's train of thought.
 
Jase shrugged feeling the ship tip down as it circled the planet "I couldnt tell you" He finally said shrugging.

"I just know that this all seems like to much happenstance to me" Jase said standing up "I mean who knows maybe were all being played by the empress" He remarked chuckling as Samantha settled them down onto one of the landing pads.

"All I know is the sooner we get this thing the better" Jase said ignoring the fact that it could potentially mean their end. He reached out taking her hand in one of his hands and sliding on a pair of sunglasses with the other.

"Come on were a couple enjoying the finest PEACe has to offer" Jase remarked turning to her and winking
 
"I imagine the Chancellor has better things to do than plot and scheme against everyone in this galaxy," Vera said with a laugh. "Don't worry about it- we are so close now I can almost taste it."

Vera took his offered hand and smiled back at him.

"Yes, let's pretend we are the epitome of normal."

~*~

The day of the Unity Gala...

Vera looked at herself in the mirror, wearing her stunning silver gown and with her hair tied in a messy but elegant bun at the nape of her neck in order to play up the low cut cowl back of the dress. Her shoes, mostly hidden by her dress, were also silver, but with a modest heel that would allow her to run easily should the need arise. She had decided to forgo jewellery; the dress was enough on its own. She had considered purchasing earrings, but if she did they would need to be fairly sizeable diamond ones in order to fit the part she was playing, she decided against it in the end, worried Jase would become suspicious of the cost of them.

With a nod of approval she made her way to the armoury to meet Jase. Now he could strap whatever he needed to her. The main issue was that the dress was quite revealing at the top and fitted at the hips anything would need to be attached to her lower thigh or calves in order to be well hidden. That said, the dress would mean that security wouldn't be threatened by her in the least, as it was not suspiciously voluminous.

When Vera saw Jase she let out a loud whistle of approval, a grin spreading across his face. She was used to him as a cavalier space smuggler. Now, though, he looked every part the intergalactic prince he had pretended to be on their vacation.

"Well hello there your highness," She said with a mock curtsey.
 
"Here let me do that"

Jase turned smiling at Samantha as she walked in. He was in the armory having decided tp get dressed and gather the equipment they needed from there. He had managed to get dressed without a problem.....

Until he got to the tie

"Its been a long time since I got to do this for you" Samantha said walking over she looked around making sure vera was not in sight before beginning to tie his tie.

"I still don't know why your insisting you can't touch any thing on the ship" jase grumbled watching as she fixed his tie "you still don't trust her"

"Jase" Samantha said shaking her head "you don't get it I trust her for the most part but some one needs to watch your back if she doesn't know about the hard plight projectors that give me solid form then I can watch you and step in if for some reason she turns out not to be on the up and up"

"I understand" jase said sighing "but you'll see she can be trusted"

"I love her"

Samantha blinked sighing and reaching out to cup his cheek "and I hope every day that you don't get destroyed for it" she whispered kissing his cheek before dissapear ing.

Vera came in seconds later looking so stunning he drew in a startled breath "you look divine" he said ignoring her bow and coming over. He leaned in giving her a soft kiss before stepping back and drawing his eye up and down her form.

"Now to get to business" he said smiling and turning he grabbed a box on the work bench and handed it to her.

"Inside youll fine some of those fancy rocks these people like to wear" jase said going over to his work bench which had a tarp over it "don't lose them and don't break them there how we are going to drill"

He pulled off the tsrp revealing a staff\walking cane the orb sat on it looking like a decorative piece "sy" he said grabbing it and giving it a few swings "pretty sly huh?"

"Your weapons are over there" he said pointing with the cane "small pistols and your throwing knives only for this dance my love"
 
Vera gave Jase a deep kiss before taking the weapons out of his hands. She bent over in front of him, ensuring he would have a good view of the shape of her arse, and slipped her dress up to her thighs. She buckled her daggers on one leg and her pistols on the other. She took one of the retractable knives he had created for her and slipped it down the front of her top, wedging it beneath one breast and feeling to make sure the handle fit without being too obtrusive. Then she took the box he offered with the "fancy rocks" and opened them. They were divine. A necklace and a set of earrings that sparkled as much of her dress. They didn't quite have the same clarity as diamonds, but they worked well with the silver of her dress.

"Drill?" She asked, taking them up with care, heeding his warning.

"Yes, Jase filled them with acid," Samantha informed her, coming to her side and peering at them. "You sure you want them against your skin?" She asked with a grin.

"I trust Jase," Vera replied, putting the earrings in herself and then going to Jase, turning around so that he could fasten the necklace for her. She could have done it herself, but she was hoping to feel the warmth of his fingers on her neck.

When she was done accessorising herself Vera took the cane from Jase and inspected it.

"Smuggler indeed!" She said with a laugh of approval before handing it back. "Well done handsome." Once more she pulled him close, running her hands up and down his back, enjoying the feel of his body through the rich fabric of the suit.

"Right, we'd best be off. The sooner we leave, the sooner we can get back and appreciate that suit of yours."

~*~

An hour and a half later Vera and Jase were exiting the expensive limousine that she had hired for them. You couldn't arrive at the Gala on foot. She waited for the door man to get the door and held out her hand, he assisted her out. She looked up at the large building they had scouted a few days before. It was now lit up with twinkling decorative lights and a large sign welcoming everyone to the Annual Unity Gala. There were dozens of other people dressed to the stars milling around and she took a deep breath as her nerves finally hit her, she looked to her side at the handsome man she had come to love, the one that had agreed to come to this even to achieve a mission, despite the fact that he was wanted and hunted by the organisers. She held his hand tight and gave him a brave smile despite the fear gnawing at her gut.

"We can do this," She said before turning on her winning social event mask and smiling as though she owned the place. She then stepped up onto the carpet leading to the doors and acted as though the royalty they were imitating.
 
Jase stepped out with her smiling softly "I have no doubt we can handle it after all this isnt the first time we are playing A royal couple" He reminded her with a sly wink. He brought her up the stone steps nodding at every one miling about with the air of some one disinterested. They finally reached the large stone archway leading into the main hall and Jase handed both of their invitations over to the attendant.

"Oh your highness!" The attendant said a small alien who looked beyond nervous "PEACe welcomes you I am sorry but the gaurds will need to-"

"Check my person to make sure im not smuggling in any weapons?" Jase said sniffing and glancing over at the gaurds "I do hope you men arent going to actually pat me down with your filthy hands"

"No no!" The alien squeaked nervously "We have the finest scanners in the galaxy we will simply run them over you and your.... lady friend and once your cleared you will be allowed inside"

"Very well then" Jase said stepping forward with Vera "lets get this over with"

The gaurds scanned them quickly and confirmed they had no weapons on them. They were permitted inside being led into a large ampitheater filled with the cream of the crop. Jase watched them all covering his disdain for them as he led her into the grand hall.

"Ah and there is the empress" Jase murmured noting her atop the stage "Does she know you?" Jase asked glacning over at Vera with a raised eyebrow.

"Jase" Samantha said appearing beside of them "I am going to need you to plug me directly into the system so I can take control of security"
 
"She might if she saw me," Vera looked up to see herself and then quickly looked away. She knew amAvery would be here, but she didn't expect the feeling of desperation that she would get when she sae her. She wanted to walk right up to her and demand to know what the hell was going on, what happened sith Magaroth. She knew she had fo be patient though, to bide her time.

"Do what you need to do love, I can scope out the situation here," Vera assured him, wanting to get a good idea of the people and security here. "We can't make our move for a other hour or so anyway, we need to wait for people to start getting tipsy. Easier for us to escape notice."
 
"Okay you go ahead and smooze and I will get Samantha locked in" Jase said noting every one moving about and shaking his head "Samantha will keep us linked mentally" He said spinning her into his arms and kissing her deeply.

"Save a dance for me" He said winking at her before turning. He moved in disappearing in the crowds and going towards the bathrooms.

"Give me a scan and show me the nearest interface" Jase thought stepping into the hall.

"It looks like the bathroom has a interface" Samantha replied "TV's displaying the history of PEACe"

"Oh your going to love this" Jase murmured moving into the bathroom and finding the TV. He made sure the coast was clear before he reached out and gripped the TV.

"Setting up now" Samantha replied before appearing on the TV "I am in"

"Were good to go" Jase thought to them both walking out "you ready to blow this Popsicle stand?"
 
Vera went to the Unity Gala every year, and every year it was the same. Sure, some of the attendees differed, as did the various scandals happening right there, but in the end it was all about the upper crust of the universe schmoozing and pretending to get along when they really didn't. Each dance held a hidden agenda, each smile noted, every conversation remembered and analysed for any slight or point of interest. Vera watched Avery out of the corner of her eye as she moved, safe in the knowledge that almost everyone was watching her also. She wanted to talk to her, but there were too many eyes in this place and it wasn't worth the risk. If she did so it would have to be in private; she wouldn't risk Jase being noticed for a chance to touch base with Avery. If she did get a chance though she would try to slip away.

Vera moved about the crowd with ease, unused to doing so in such a social setting. As herself, she could barely get a step without someone campaigning for her attention, she couldn't dance without her partner using it as some opportunity to push one policy or another. Vera couldn't wait for Jase to return, to tug him onto the dance floor and to lose herself in his arms. At least for a little while. The wait staff had already begun passing through the crowd with drinks, barely making it into the fringe before all of the drinks on their trays were gone.

"you ready to blow this Popsicle stand?" Jase's voice spoke into her mind and she smiled to herself.

"Not before we have popsicles!" She thought back, giving him a mental flash of her position. "Let's blend in first, then we can disappear for a while."

She even had a nice plan about how to do that, and it would be fund. Towards the end of the dancing it wasn't unusual for the more rowdy couples to go and find a room. She had arranged for Samantha to lock out the supply closet they would need to enter the tunnels, so she just had to get Jase there in a way that was convincing enough for security personnel to ignore them. She was looking forward to convincing everyone they were just a horny couple looking for a private place to rut.
 
Back
Top