Story Series vs Novels and Novellas

JuneSummers

Experienced
Now that there's the Story Series section, I'm starting to wonder whether I should continue using the Novels and Novellas category. My story currently has 6 chapters and it's still ongoing, but I've been thinking it might be better suited to Romance because the romance outweighs the sex and the sex is rather mild. (I even have chapters without actual sex, although there's naughtiness throughout.)

Also, the first chapter is a standalone, so if somebody stumbles upon it in the Romance category they won't be forced to read the subsequent chapters if they don't want to.

And if someone is looking for a longer Romance story, I think they're more likely to go to Story Series and then choose Romance instead of looking under Novels and Novellas.

On an experimental note, do you suppose the Story Series section could be used to group chapters that are in different categories (but still have the same title with numbered chapters)? For example, perhaps I could only move the first chapter to Romance and leave the subsequent chapters in Novels and Novellas (for the sole reason that they can't be read separately from each other).

I'm curious to hear your take on this.

I don't think there's a separate Stories Series category you can submit to. I think this is just a separate listing the Web site double-posts long series in any category to.

Story series is not an actual option. Its just a heading for readers to search out longer series. I believe any chapter series will automatically show up there.

I don't think there's a separate Stories Series category you can submit to. I think this is just a separate listing the Web site double-posts long series in any category to.

I know, but I was just wondering for what purpose I should continue using Novels and Novellas as it seems a bit redundant to do so.

I know, but I was just wondering for what purpose I should continue using Novels and Novellas as it seems a bit redundant to do so.

From what I've seen its a pretty low viewed category and really a catch all of different things, you'd probably do better submitting the next chapters of your series to romance. I would try to resubmit the early ones there as well.

Story series is not an actual option. Its just a heading for readers to search out longer series. I believe any chapter series will automatically show up there.

Sorry I phrased it poorly. I meant to ask do you see any reasons one should continue posting in Novels and Novellas if multi-part stories automatically show up in Story Series?

From what I've seen its a pretty low viewed category and really a catch all of different things, you'd probably do better submitting the next chapters of your series to romance. I would try to resubmit the early ones there as well.

Yes, that's been on my mind. Thanks for your input. :)

Sorry I phrased it poorly. I meant to ask do you see any reasons one should continue posting in Novels and Novellas if multi-part stories automatically show up in Story Series?

They don't show up at all if you don't put them in a category. Story Series isn't a category.

This message is hidden because lovecraft68 is on your ignore list.

(Is he still running that Scouries-like personal attack in his sig line?)

This message is hidden because lovecraft68 is on your ignore list.

(Is he still running that Scouries-like personal attack in his sig line?)

I don't know. I don't enable signatures.

I did for a while, but a few people like 3113 have signatures that rape the screen, and make me scroll in every direction just to read posts.

I don't know. I don't enable signatures.

I did for a while, but a few people like 3113 have signatures that rape the screen, and make me scroll in every direction just to read posts.

Thanks for quoting that!

He knows damn well I have it there because he keeps "peeking" at my posts.

I've never seen someone so pathetic they need to try to have the last word with a person they're ignoring.

Also thanks for the tip on sigs. I didn;t know you could do that. There's people in the GB who's sigs take up half a damn thread page, LJ Reloaded is one of the worst

Novels and Novellas is a useful category if your chapters would otherwise appear in different categories.

But there are few readers for Novels and Novellas, and even fewer who would like several categories in one multi-chaptered story. They seem to prefer chapters that continue in one category.

There is no upper limit for any story in any category so why use Novels and Novellas if there is a more appropriate category?

The Story Series feature only works if you are precise in your titling of chapters e.g. Story Ch.01, Story Ch.02 etc. If you make a typo such as Story CH.03 it won't appear as part of the Series.

Novels and Novellas is a useful category if your chapters would otherwise appear in different categories.

But there are few readers for Novels and Novellas, and even fewer who would like several categories in one multi-chaptered story. They seem to prefer chapters that continue in one category.

There is no upper limit for any story in any category so why use Novels and Novellas if there is a more appropriate category?

The Story Series feature only works if you are precise in your titling of chapters e.g. Story Ch.01, Story Ch.02 etc. If you make a typo such as Story CH.03 it won't appear as part of the Series.

Asking Laurel to fix your title screw up is simple and easy. I've had to do it several times. We need spell check on that page. Or at least some of us with big fingers do.

Novels and Novellas was a bigger thing when I first got here as chaptered stories were few and far between. Then a couple of story sites that had nothing but chaptered stories folded and they all came here. Since then, chapters outnumber standalone stories by far.

This is a really helpful thread. Thanks JuneSummers for putting it up and all contributors for the useful info. xxx

LOL, good point! I suppose I just put it in Novels and Novellas because the category existed, but I'm seeing now there's really not much sense in that.

Not sure I agree with this. I'll readily admit that Novels and Novellas are not a good place to find readers. As far as several categories in a multi-chaptered story - all my longer series are posted under multiple categories. There's a central theme, and I try to make sure the first chapter reflects that.

I believe (with no real evidence) that the multiple categories help the reader understand what's going on. It can also draw readers that tend to prefer different categories.

Again, I understand that I might not be typical, nor do I have any proof otherwise, but it certainly does not seem to hurt. My $.02.

Can you please stop posting this? It's kind of annoying.

Tough for being annoyed. I only post it occasionally Let me know when Lovecraft68 stops personally attacking me in the signature line of every one of his posts, and I'll certainly stop noting occasionally that he attacks me in every one of his posts.

Your selective choice of annoyance doesn't impress me much.

The one series I've put in Novels and Novellas has done well in ratings. For me the biggest reason to put one there is if the series covers several categories across the series. Some think that it's an advantage to mix categories for chapters. I don't.

Tough for being annoyed. I only post it occasionally Let me know when Lovecraft68 stops personally attacking me in the signature line of every one of his posts, and I'll certainly stop noting occasionally that he attacks me in every one of his posts.

Your selective choice of annoyance doesn't impress me much.

*shrug*

Just letting you know on the off-chance that you might want to make the forum a slightly less annoying place for the hundreds of forum users not called Lovecraft.

*shrug*

Just letting you know on the off-chance that you might want to make the forum a slightly less annoying place for the hundreds of forum users not called Lovecraft.

Yes, well, speak to lovecraft about that, not me. I'm not impressed by your choice of who annoys you--and for what reasons. If you prefer the Scouries-like bully, that's your problem.

Check when the last time I did what you say annoys you against the last time lovecraft personally attacked another member of the forum in his signature line.

Yes, well, speak to lovecraft about that, not me. I'm not impressed by your choice of who annoys you--and for what reasons. If you prefer the Scouries-like bully, that's your problem.

'Prefer'? Is this some kind of playground fight where everyone is expected to pick a side? I don't give a shit, the whole argument is just annoying. If anything take it as a compliment that I thought you might possibly see sense and listen to reason, a misguided notion though it was.

Check when the last time I did what you say annoys you against the last time lovecraft personally attacked another member of the forum in his signature line.

Lovecraft's signature is also annoying. However, that opens up a massive can of worms because there are lots of signatures on this forum that thoroughly annoy me (basically anything longer than about four lines or with images). Fine, just to keep things even handed:

To the people with over-long signatures, with images in their signatures, or with signatures continuing petty feuds that nobody else cares about - can you please get rid of them? They're kind of annoying.

'Prefer'? Is this some kind of playground fight where everyone is expected to pick a side? I don't give a shit, the whole argument is just annoying. If anything take it as a compliment that I thought you might possibly see sense and listen to reason, a misguided notion though it was.

Lovecraft's signature is also annoying. However, that opens up a massive can of worms because there are lots of signatures on this forum that thoroughly annoy me (basically anything longer than about four lines or with images). Fine, just to keep things even handed:

To the people with over-long signatures, with images in their signatures, or with signatures continuing petty feuds that nobody else cares about - can you please get rid of them? They're kind of annoying.

I just disable them. More peace for everybody, and a lot less scrolling.

Back