The Nail Thread

Bringing it back - I used to wear red all the time - OPI names are the best! Either Affair in Red Square or I Am Not a Waitress...

Pictures aren't the greatest (and a little older) but it was always red!! Now, I just have natural, bitten to the quick nails :( Painted toes, though.

I just got a manicure with I Am Not a Waitress! I thought it was a new OPI color, but I guess not.
 
I just got a manicure with I Am Not a Waitress! I thought it was a new OPI color, but I guess not.

It was my standard color, it's so rich!

Some of the other comments that red was embarrassing or drew too much attention but that color red was just right.

In real life, I like to blend in to the background, wearing lots of black, brown. But always those red nails! Some of the other colors like mauve or coral felt like my grandma. And things like blue or black (I tried black once) felt too young.

sBwTiVrm.jpg
 
Last edited:
There is a woman who lives somewhere not far away; she drives a cherry red rice burner with custom plates... I wont share the plate "number" but I can only guess that she owns a sex toy shop based on the plates...

In anycase, she always keeps her window open just a crack, and I always recognize her first by the fingers she always has peeping out of the top of the drivers side window, with their rather distinctive cherry red nail job

200_s.gif


Her windows are tinted, but one of those times I noticed the silhouette of David Bowie hair before I recognized her peeping fingers.

That pic is from one of my favorite movies. Just sayin. :D
 
There is a psychology behind colors and how we use them. :) I had to learn about this, but I'm curious about how others see this. :rose:
 
The purple felt very wrong. I'm gonna keep on practicing wearing other colors besides red, though. :rolleyes:

Thigh High by Essie. There was so little of it left in the bottle that it was difficult to use it and paint evenly. There's still one round left for toes, I think, but then I'm done with it.

(At first I thought about posting this pic. :D Then I decided it's best if I take a pic specifically for this thread, so tea mug it is again.)
 
That's a pretty color, seela. :) I like how each picture picks up the warm and cool tones in it.

I haven't had polish on for a few days now. Maybe I will pick a color today.
 
That's a pretty color, seela. :) I like how each picture picks up the warm and cool tones in it.

I haven't had polish on for a few days now. Maybe I will pick a color today.

This is the spectrum I usually paint from. Somebody earlier in the thread said they think it looks grandmotherly, but I like peaches and pinks into the mauve territory. More on the pinky side though, like this. Like!
 
This is the spectrum I usually paint from. Somebody earlier in the thread said they think it looks grandmotherly, but I like peaches and pinks into the mauve territory. More on the pinky side though, like this. Like!

I made the grandma comment. I just remember my grandma wearing this shade:

Y5AqnhO.jpg



Meek's color is adorable and summery and fresh.


I googled mauve and both the above color and this one came up. I do like this shade better than the above one...

hrEOnnc.jpg
 
f^_^; I like all of these colors. I don't think they are grandmotherly, I think they tend to have an elegant look. My friend has said that I look like a grandma sometimes, though.

:)
 
I made the grandma comment. I just remember my grandma wearing this shade:

Y5AqnhO.jpg



Meek's color is adorable and summery and fresh.


I googled mauve and both the above color and this one came up. I do like this shade better than the above one...

hrEOnnc.jpg

And I like the top one :)
I think skin tone and preferred clothing colours have a lot to do with it. I wear a lot of browns, so the purply stuff doesn't look that great with them to me.
 
I 'd think of the first one as brick or terracotta and the second as mushroom perhaps?



Also, for anyone who likes a colour but feels not right about flaunting it on their hands....that's where toenails come in. ;)

That's true, I pretty much only do my toes. If I do my fingers, I pick greens or blues most of the time.
 
f^_^; I like all of these colors. I don't think they are grandmotherly, I think they tend to have an elegant look. My friend has said that I look like a grandma sometimes, though.

:)

:) My grandma was the best!

It's fun to see what everyone thinks about different colors and their meanings.
 
All this talk of grandmothers has made me think of cookies (which is silly because neither of my grandmothers were known for cookies). :sigh: But the stomach gods are not pleased with me today. :rolleyes:

The blue makes me think of this fantastic green that I have. I really love lighter colors and neutral colors but sometimes the lighter colors don't look so nice on me. A lot of colors I might describe as "funky" look really good on my skin tone.

(´Д` ) But I want the pretty light colors!

Anyway, it's a really great looking color. I haven't worn it since the first time, perhaps I will wear it after this color.
 
Suggestion.....have you tried the lighter colours over a flat white? :eek:

No, but it's not so much that the color doesn't go on well. It's more that my skin tone doesn't agree with the particular shade. The same light colors (light pink for example) look much better on my friend with darker skin tone. Funny thing, she likes the colors that look good against my skin but she thinks look bad on her on nails.
 
Back
Top