Doctors react to NRA "stay in your lane" tweet

From the sounds of it, one could think that there are people who don't understand that doctors deal with the damage caused to the human body by guns.

Perhaps doctors shouldn't discuss smoking, bad eating habits or the effects of lack of exercise. After all they aren't tobacco farmers, chefs or personal trainers. They need to stay in their lane - and just keep lying to women like some state legislators dictate.

As doctors, they are trained to deal with the effects of disease and injury. As doctors they can and should counsel their "patients" on the effects of disease and injury.

As doctors they are not qualified to lecture society as a whole about guns. They may do so as individuals, but their credentials lend them no weight.

From the sounds of it, one could think that there are people who don't understand that doctors deal with the damage caused to the human body by guns.

Perhaps doctors shouldn't discuss smoking, bad eating habits or the effects of lack of exercise. After all they aren't tobacco farmers, chefs or personal trainers. They need to stay in their lane - and just keep lying to women like some state legislators dictate.

I don't think I have ever seen anything from you that I disagree with and you always say what I think, only better.

But aren't all doctors individuals? Maybe a Venn diagram would help you. Nah, who am I kidding? Show me one instance of gun violence that did not involve a gun.

I have no issue with doctors petitioning their legislators at the same level as the rest of the citizenry.

I have an issue when they try to use the prestige of their credentials to lend them greater weight than you or I might have. Because they have an MD or PhD after their name they're more special-er than the rest of us?

Here's how stupid your analogy is: Show me 1 instance of spousal rape that didn't involve a spouse. Because if gun violence is a gun problem, then spousal rape is a spouse problem and not a rape issue at all.

That is why quoting campaign slogans and bumper stickers is a total fail on your part. It doesn't reach the core issues and instead tries to cover them up with cute little sayings that mean nothing.

As I already said; gun violence is not a GUN problem, it's a VIOLENCE problem. Continuing to blame the mechanism instead of doing something about the CAUSE is worse than stupid. It helps perpetuate the cause.

As doctors, they are trained to deal with the effects of disease and injury. As doctors they can and should counsel their "patients" on the effects of disease and injury.

As doctors they are not qualified to lecture society as a whole about guns. They may do so as individuals, but their credentials lend them no weight.

No, it's their job to lie to women. Like legislators dictate.

:rolleyes:

The day doctors are criticized for speaking out against something they deal with every day and told it's not in their purview by people who claim to be constitutional originalists is the day when you guys need to check your inconsistencies of convenience. These convenient inconsistencies are tiring and put your hypocrisy in the spotlight.

And yes they are imminently qualified to discuss this as a public health menace. Regardless of how inconvenient it is to the NRA zombies.

That's arrogance gone wild. I suppose if your doctor told you that you needed to take classes in better driving in order to cut down on traffic fatalities, you'd do it? Just because he's a doctor?

The day doctors are criticized for speaking out against something they deal with every day and told it's not in their purview by people who claim to be constitutional originalists is the day when you guys need to check your inconsistencies of convenience. These convenient inconsistencies are tiring and put your hypocrisy in the spotlight.

And yes they are imminently qualified to discuss this as a public health menace. Regardless of how inconvenient it is to the NRA zombies.

This literally makes no sense.

No one said that doctors lie to women other than you. And legislators don't "dictate" they pass bills that are signed into law or vetoed. And sometimes repealed by the voters after enactment.

The rest of your post is unintelligible.

^ This. If gun violence is a public health issue, and it absolutely is, then it is entirely reasonable and appropriate for health care professionals to offer a position statement. Critics might have a point if doctors were presuming to draft original policy, but that is not what is happening here. They are acting as advocates of civil discourse and legislation, and promoters of empirical research.

^ This. If gun violence is a public health issue, and it absolutely is, then it is entirely reasonable and appropriate for health care professionals to offer a position statement. Critics might have a point if doctors were presuming to draft original policy, but that is not what is happening here. They are acting as advocates of civil discourse and legislation, and promoters of empirical research.

I agree with this. What I object to is that they are attempting to lend the weight of their credentials to support their position in an area they are not "experts".

Anyone may group together and promote a cause. In this instance these doctors have done so and then they went beyond that to say "As Doctors...".

"As lobbyists..." is just as meaningless.

I agree with this. What I object to is that they are attempting to lend the weight of their credentials to support their position in an area they are not "experts".

Anyone may group together and promote a cause. In this instance these doctors have done so and then they went beyond that to say "As Doctors...".

Doctors aren't analogous to lobbyists in any sense. Lobbyists pay politicians to force their agenda on the American people. Doctors try to fix that mistake, just like in the case of doctors versus gun nuts.

^ This. If gun violence is a public health issue, and it absolutely is,

How are guns a public health issue with regard to medical science???

How are they qualified to discuss public policy with regard to guns?

Doctors treat lots of car crashes, that doesn't make them ASE certified master techs, mechanical engineers or civil engineers qualified to discuss vehicle safety standards or roadway construction issues.

How are they qualified to discuss public policy with regard to guns?

Doctors treat lots of car crashes, that doesn't make them ASE certified master techs, mechanical engineers or civil engineers qualified to discuss vehicle safety standards or roadway construction issues.

Gun violence is a public health issue as gun violence affects the public health. Namely, by injuring or killing members of the public.

Much like with the results of tobacco use, doctors are very clearly experts in the area of dealing with the results and costs to society of gun violence. Its asinine to believe otherwise.

This literally makes no sense.

No one said that doctors lie to women other than you. And legislators don't "dictate" they pass bills that are signed into law or vetoed. And sometimes repealed by the voters after enactment.

The rest of your post is unintelligible.

It makes no sense to you because you are blinded by your hypocrisy.

Legislators passed laws requiring doctors to give false information to women seeking healthcare. Look it up.

For someone claiming to have a modicum of intelligence, you truly are an embarrassment.

Gun violence is a public health issue as gun violence affects the public health. Namely, by injuring or killing members of the public.

Not to mention the cost to society when families become dysfunctional as a result of gun violence.

So anything that injures or kills people, medical doctors are an expert on??

I don't think that's how it works.

Guns are a public safety/security issue.....not a medical or health issue.

Last edited:
I wonder why you always see a doctor in a Court of Law as an "expert witness" for things like this...on both sides...if they aren't qualified to do it? Puzzling...

I wonder why you always see a doctor in a Court of Law as an "expert witness" for things like this...on both sides...if they aren't qualified to do it? Puzzling...

They are qualified to give an expert MEDICAL opinions....

Lawyer: 'Is this trauma consistent with this weapon?"

MD: Yes/no.

Public policy and or security aren't medical issues. Same way police are security professionals who see lots of gun shots that they often provide first aid for....doesn't make them surgeons or medical experts.

Thus the term "stay in your lane".

Strawmen alert!

How is that a strawman?

I asked....

You responded with.

^^ You said gun violence is a "public health" issue because guns injure or kill members of the public.

That would make anything that injures or kills members of the public a "public health" issue and thus a medical science issue by your logic........or is it JUST guns because reasons? :D

Last edited:
They are qualified to give an expert MEDICAL opinions....

Lawyer: 'Is this trauma consistent with this weapon?"

MD: Yes/no.

Public policy and or security aren't medical issues.

I know it went over your head...why do you think I posted the link above? Did you read it? Did you see the repeated references to "lack of mental health". So what is it? What is the problem...the guns...or the sick people using the gun? Who better to treat the sick people...than a doctor?

Back