Prophecy of Ruin or Salvation (closed for heartofcourage)

Claudius looked at Dax with surprise in his eyes. "What do you think we'd do? If they come at us, it wouldn't be your doing." It was a meaningful gesture all the same. "Seeing them longer and up close, I think you're right and they're not hostile." Not hostile wasn't the same thing as not being dangerous. "Maybe we can do a little trading with them later, or at least share a few songs. I imagine Valius'll want to meet your friend for himself."

The two passed back into the shade. Behind them, the caravan had changed angle slightly but was bearing down on the oasis with greater speed. Now that they knew it was safe, the nomadic merchants were obviously keen to get rest and get out of the sun.

Valius met Claudius and Dax as they returned, Masha following with him, along with three members of the Fire Guard who were in formation around Bryn. "What news, Sir knights?"

The old ranger pointed to where the caravan was and then to the north of the oasis. "Band of merchants, it looks like, Sire. Wives, young, and all as far as we could see. Dax knows the spokesman. They said their trip was put off by illness and weathering that storm yesterday. I told 'em that the north of the oasis was clear for their use."

The young king nodded, "And so it is. A good decision, Sir Claudius. I've no wish to think of children needing water because we were feeling defensive." He looked over at Dax, "You know their leader? What can you tell me of him or these people?"
 
“His name is Aurie. I trained with him in Al’Tir for a summer before he was placed in his regiment. He was wounded in battle a few years back and left the life of a soldier for what came naturally to him. He is a trader and a nomad and travels with his family. Three children, all very small, a wife, and probably his brothers and sisters as well.” Dax said, answering the young king’s question as to who the stranger was as well as who he was with.

As soon as Bryn heard the word traders, she knew who they were. Some of the best days in Al’Tir were the days when the caravans would pull into the front courtyard and unload their wares for people to look through and purchase. She felt a little giddy excitement fill her chest as she waited for Dax and Claudius to finish their meeting with Valius.

It was decided that the Rangers could trade with the party after all. Time would be made for each file to make their way to the traders to look through their wares and buy if such need be. Bryn was practically itching at the chance, but knew she would wait for Valius to escort her.

A sudden thought came to her then though. What money did she have? She was no longer part of her father’s household and he would not be paying for her items any longer. Not that she’d ever had the wild spending habits of her sister, but that was beside that point. She knew as a Duchess she had her own tributes from her own lands, but to the best of her knowledge, they had yet to come in.

“Valius…” She said, gaining his attention as the little meeting between the three ended. She would ask him, she decided, but the moment that his grey eyes turned towards her, she lost her nerve. It wasn’t really her place to ask about such a thing and in Al’Tir she would have been punished severely. The thought made her stomach feel hard as a rock and she let out a soft sigh.

“Shall we go and see what they have with the others?” She asked him, skirting around the subject for the time being.
 
Valius did not have the experience of his ranger-captain, nor was he inclined to suspect others without purpose. Dax's information told him enough to feel that it was more than all right to share the oasis with them and even allow the rangers to see what the merchants had to offer. "He sounds like a good man, Sir Dax." He glanced over at Claudius, "Keep alert, but call in the archers you set in the deep green; we won't need them. Tell everyone that if they're not on duty and the traders have set out their wares, they can visit and see what they have."

Claudius inclined his head and saluted. "Yes, Sire." The boy was too trusting by far. He was probably right in this case but he wondered if it wouldn't lead to trouble someday. "I'll see to it."

The old ranger went off to give the orders. As Bryn spoke, Valius looked over at her with a smile. She'd readied herself steady nerves and careful swiftness; like a veteran instead of a new recruit. He wished he'd been half that capable his first time scrambling to readiness in the field!

She'd changed what she'd been going to say. He could tell that much. What had intended to ask? Perhaps something she felt uncomfortable with in front of the other men.

Regardless, he nodded, "Yes, let's. Their route may have taken them along the way we mean to tread as well. If we buy no goods, we may come away with news at the least."

He offered Bryn his arm and the two young lovers set off through the oasis greenery once again. They were not the only ones of the Ithilien group to be doing so; the forest people were curious folk and few of them had ever met any of the desert nomads before. "I wonder what they will have to sell," Valius mused, "perhaps something I have never seen before."

They, and the rest of those who were both curious and not currently on duty, approached the nomads but kept a respectful distance as they were still in the business of watering their beasts and people and setting up their camp.
 
The nomads were a friendly group, encouraging the Rangers to come closer as they watered their animals and got their families settled in the shade of the oasis. Bryn smiled to see little ones running to and fro beneath the canopy of lush green palms. They laughed, full of joy and youth. It gave her much hope for the future of Al’Tir.

“Come. Come, my friends.” Aurie said, beckoning the group that were waiting to come closer. “If you would give us some help setting out our wears, we would gladly like to trade.”

Bryn waited with Valius as Rangers stepped forward, helping the small group to set out the blankets and would protect their wears from the hot desert sands. Fabric of all different colors were placed upon the blankets. Journals bound in thick leather. Jewelry. Clothing. Everything was there for anyone that wanted to look.

Still holding Valius’s arm, Bryn allowed him to guide her forward to look over the wears. As he spoke with Aurie, she perused the items, finding a few that she would gladly buy right then and there. There was a lovely tooled leather journal nestled in a writing set that caught her eye.

“How much for this?” She asked the beautiful blonde haired woman that stood nearby cradling an infant against her chest.

“Thirty yal.” The woman said in a light, airy voice, her smile charming as she watched the red headed girl looking over the things on the blanket.

“Oh…” Bryn said softly, mentally calculating how much she had on her at that moment. Thirty yal was quite a bit of money, but for something so lovely she wouldn’t have paid any less.

She moved from Valius’s side, looking at the other wears as she thought more on the writing set. She was in her own little world as she looked over the piles of fabrics and the beautiful jewelry that was spread out before her. It was all so lovely…and far beyond her means for payment.

Then the beautiful blue and green stone hair comb caught her eye. At sixty yal, it was twice what the journal had cost, but she could barely resist the need to pick it up and examine it. The blue and green stones were shaped liked dragon scales and were held firmly to the gold comb with finely twisted golden threads. It was one of the most beautiful pieces that Bryn had seen in her life.

“Is he your husband?” The blonde woman asked as Bryn’s startled eyes turned towards her.

“Valius? Not yet. We are betrothed.” She said simply, giving the woman a smile as she placed the hair comb back onto the blanket.

“Betrothed?! Then you must have something special for your wedding day!” The woman exclaimed, handing off her infant to another woman as she reached down for a piece of white, gauzy fabric that was woven with small flames of orange around the edges. “A special veil perhaps?”

The woman flicked the fabric out with a flourish and settled it upon Bryn’s flame red hair. She smiled in delight, taking a step back to admire the pretty bride that Bryn would make when the day finally came. Aurie moved closer to the two of them, chuckling as he wrapped his arm around his wife’s trim waist.

“Tara, you will frighten the young girl!” He exclaimed, gaining a loving eye roll from his spouse. “Although, you look very lovely in that, Your Grace.”

Bryn glanced over at Valius then, her cheeks flushing red at the look that she found in his eyes. She bowed her head slightly, turning back to the couple that was watching her so intently. She watched as Tara reached towards the blanket and scooped up the hair comb that she’d been eyeing, taking the time to carefully place it in Bryn’s hair.

“You are lovely.” Tara exclaimed, Bryn managing a smile for the both of them. “And I insist on giving you the veil as a wedding gift.”

“Oh…no. Please, it’s too much. I insist on paying you for it.” Bryn stammered, her hand reaching for the coin pouch at her waist.
 
Valius couldn't help but smile as the rangers mingled with the traders; the air a rush of talk and haggling and laughter. There was something simple and good about seeing the two very different groups of people sharing stories and talking with animated good humor.

He walked alongside Bryn, her arm in his, as she eyed the many wares and objects there for sale. A blond woman, similar in build to Princess Chariss, though obviously more filled out still from the birth of her children, spoke with Bryn about several objects that seemed to catch her eye.

Once she left his side, Valius drifted back a bit and inspected the writing set she'd been eying. It was good quality, it seemed. Fine and well tooled leathers, in good repair, and even bore a brief sheaf of small papers, a bottle of ink, and a set of fine quills.

"A fine set, Your Majesty," Aurie said. "Well worth thirty yal."

"It is good," Valius answered, "but I have seen ones almost exactly like it in my own land for fifteen." He looked carefully at the older man, "You know who I am?"

"Word has spread of the Bryn Alerum's betrothal to the Dragon King," Aurie replied, "and her countenance is well to known to all the people of Al'Tir. She can be no one else, so you can be no one else." He ran a finger over the binding of the writing journal, "And this leather is found nowhere in your lands, Your Majesty. It is from the seals that throng the shores on the far side of Al'tir, where the ocean begins and carries one away to Alerum. It is naturally oiled to keep it's color and flexibility and to better protect the pages within. But you certainly could buy an inferior set in your own land cheaper. So, perhaps twenty-seven yal?"

"Ha! Well answered." Valius glanced over to where Bryn was admiring a magnificent comb. He felt a moment of chagrin; should he buy everything she looked at but could not yet afford on her own? It might be spoiling her...but he wanted to give her things. "Twenty."

"Twenty-five."

"Twenty-three." Valius raised his hands, "And no more. It seems your lovely companion is plying your trade masterfully and I shall be leaving far more coin than that with you." The blonde had handed her baby off to another woman and taken up a bolt of cloth that she was starting to showcase.

Aurie laughed, "Done then!" The two men shook hands and then turned to approach the women. Aurie slid up to the blond and her identity was confirmed by his words.

Gods, they were good at their job. And Bryn...the pure white fabric shone against her hair and accented her pale, perfect face. The stylized flames seemed almost extensions of her hair and the magnificent comb gleamed like a glimpse of the sea amid a fiery sunset.

Valius sighed and there was a helplessly adoring look in his eyes, along with another, baser feeling. Rot and blight, how he wanted to haul her back to the tents and just-

Deep breath.

"Your gift is generous and greatly appreciated," Valius cut in to interrupt Bryn. "But we do not wish to take food from the mouths of your babes. The comb and the veil, I will give you sixty yal for both. It is agreeable?"

That should give them a profit and give the gift, all while saving face for everyone involved. Though it would cut deeply into his purse, what else was he spending money on?
 
Bryn gasped loudly, looking at Valius as he offered to pay sixty yal for the veil and the comb that were currently in her hair. Her blue eyes were wide, her lower lip trembling as he sought to buy her what had been offered.

“Val…” She started, the very breath leaving her lungs at the look that he gave her.

Tara watched the young couple, smiling softly as she saw the love that the broad shouldered man had for the stunning red haired beauty. She remembered what it was like to be young and in love, the anticipation of what was to come almost stifling for the both of them. She turned to look at her husband, giving him a slight nod as she agreed to what had been said.

“Fifty for all three, Your Majesty.” She said softly, looking at Valius with a knowing smile. “And not a penny more. Our children are well cared for and we thank you for your care, but when it comes to young love...well, my husband and I remember it well."

All three? Bryn was confused as she watched Aurie move from his wife’s side to retrieve the finely bound journal and writing set. No…she couldn’t allow Valius to buy all three for her…

“Valius…” She said, trying to gain his attention but the deed was already done as money changed hands and the writing set was pressed into hers. “Thank you.” She said in a truly humble voice, her blue eyes watering at the kindness that the couple had shown to them.

“And thank you as well, my lord.” She said, turning to Valius and giving him a watery smile, the veil fluttering in the soft breeze that wound through the palms as she held the writing set close to her chest. “I don’t know how I’ll repay you for this.”
 
There was something in the way Tara looked at him then that made Valius feel oddly vulnerable. As though she were looking inside him and seeing some part of the young king that was normally hidden and kept away. He found himself blushing and unable to meet her gaze.

Thankfully, he did not have to as Aurie handled the money. Valius handed over the coins with a nod and a smile, "A generous bargain," he said, "but I still say you are both master merchants."

Aurie laughed, "Perhaps so. But you are yourself, King Valius, to have gotten so fine a bride, whatever price you paid."

Valius looked down at Bryn as she thanked him; her blue eyes huge and warm and wet with whirling emotions. Gods, he could almost fall into those depths and he would sink down into them forever. Despite the scene and the noise of the rangers and nomads talking and interacting, he suddenly felt as though it were just them alone.

He placed his hands over hers as they clutched the writing set to her chest. "Bryn, you will be my wife and companion, my queen, mother of my children. That I will share my days and nights with you alone leaves me greatly in your debt. Accept what I will offer, from time to time, to lessen it somewhat and show what my words are too poor to express."

He smiled on her for a moment before a voice broke into his thoughts, "I don't know, you're doing very well so far, Sire." A pair of the Fire Guard, the raven and tawny haired female rangers that Bryn had started to befriend in the spring of the cave the day before, were standing behind them and grinning. "I never knew you had such a silver tongue!"

The young king gave them a sour look, "Don't you ladies have somewhere to be?"

"We're there," answered one of them. "Guarding Her Grace...and getting a chance to get some prime shopping in at the same time."
 
Bryn practically held her breath as Valius gripped her hands tightly in his. His slate grey eyes told her of the depth of emotion that he was feeling at that very moment and she felt her heart melt a little more. Her cheeks heated as he spoke sweet words, romantic sentiments that were probably something he had never shared with another woman before in his life.

In the hustle and bustle of the oasis, it felt like she were the only other person in the world beside the man that obviously held her so dear. She smiled at him softly, her eyes turning a bit shy as he spoke about their long future together, promising her the small gifts she’d just received and so much more.

“Val…” She said softly, gasping as a voice broke into their moment.

She glanced at the two Rangers that were guarding her, their words making her voice fade and her cheeks blush a darker red. The sour look that Valius gave them was echoed on her own face. She enjoyed their company but Bryn wanted her time alone with her handsome king as well.

“Then shop to your heart’s content. His majesty and I shall retire to the shade of the palms until your done.” Bryn said in a firm voice, her blue eyes turning back towards Valius as she slipped her arm back through his, pulling him towards the thick stand of trees that provided more of a block from the heat and the sun.

As they drew to a stop, Bryn turned back to her betrothed and sucked in a deep breath, her fingers gripping her new writing set so tightly as if she thought it would disappear the moment she let it go.

“My dear prince…” She said with a smile on her face. “You humble me. Every day when I fear that worry will control my heart, you always seem to know just what to say and do to drive it all away.”

"Perhaps I could repay you this instant with a kiss?" She asked him, a giddy look crossing her features as she tipped her chin towards him and presented her lips for his use.
 
The rangers beamed impudently at Bryn's mild rebuke and suggestion, saluting as she all but dragged Valius away and into the concealing shade of the tall palms. The young king's irritation gave way to amusement and enjoyment as his small bride to be hauled him off and away from her well meaning and sassy bodyguards. His fiancee was a strong-willed young woman and this was just a little flash of that will. An immensely appealing flash.

They stopped surrounded by the trunks and draped in shade that radically lessened the heat making it not hot but deeply warm and very cozy. For a moment, he wondered if it would be inappropriate to cuddle up with Bryn next to him and nap here.

But her sweet, shy little words drew his attention and he pushed the thought away. His eyes traveled her face, lingering on her pink lips before he fell into the glorious abyss of her eyes once more. Valius chuckled, "My dear Duchess, that is a currency that I am always glad to receive as payment or part of payment for anything that you wish."

They were not terribly far from the rangers or the traders. They were partly out of sight but not fully, so perhaps he should make this kiss chaste and light.

Blight on that idea.

Valius pulled Bryn into his arms and brought his lips to hers with passion and heat, almost lifting her petite frame off the ground. Their bodies pressed together tightly and his tongue tenderly caressed her lips before retreating behind his own. He held the kiss for long moments before he dipped her back slightly and deepened it further, pressing with more intense ardor.

Then it broke, a faint 'smack' sound between their lips as they parted. "We may have to negotiate further. For after that kiss, I feel more than repaid and may be again in your debt."
 
Bryn was over the moon as Valius gathered her tightly against his chest, a smile curling her lips as he leaned down to kiss her. She gasped as his strong arms nearly hefted her off her feet, his tongue tracing over her trembling mouth before he sealed his lips against hers.

A soft little moan escaped her throat, the hair on her neck standing straight in the air as every single nerve ending in her body came to life. There was something about her handsome king that made her feel incredibly alive and needed. She hoped that Valius knew just how much she needed him as well.

A cry of surprise left her lips as he dipped her backwards, his kiss growing more passionate and wanting. She could feel her body heating, a sweat breaking out on her skin as he kissed her completely.

When the kiss ended, she was panting, gasping for breath as he told her that he was in her debt yet again. “Whenever the need to buy me pretty things strikes you, do not hold back, my lord. I’m sure I can repay my debt with many more passionate kisses.”

Bryn giggled, her cheeks blushing red at the look that crossed his features. “My love. My life. You have made me the happiest woman in this land.”
 
He chuckled and nipped at her neck, murmuring, "After a time, I'll ask for more than kisses and happily collect that payment too." Valius straightened and was grinning at her; an expression that was hungry and wicked yet genuinely sheepish as well. "It almost sounds tawdry, doesn't it? Talking about such things this way."

But her words made his chest swell and he just pulled her close into an embrace, not knowing quite what to say at that moment. He held her for several long moments and then sighed and stepped back.

"Well, my love. Would you like to look more at what wares the traders have? If not so, then perhaps we could return to our exploration of the oasis. Once we have secured your new belongings, of course." He smiled and tapped the writing set she held against her chest, "Or perhaps you'd like to try this out and write today's letter to your father early?"

He would like the time to walk with her. In his imagination, he dreamed of them finding a little hidden pool and spending time along by its side. To simply talk and laugh, and then perhaps to slip into the cool waters together and indulge in the passions that roiled in them both.

But it was a dream alone, and he knew that. Pleasant though. "What say you, my Bryn?"
 
Looking down at the writing set in her arms, she considered what he was asking. She could write her letter to Papa before the evening, but she found herself wanting to explore with her handsome king. She turned her blue eyes back to him, giving him a smile before she held out her hand to him.

“I think I will store this in your tent and then we can explore this oasis further.” Bryn said, giving him a smile as she took his hand and allowed him to lead the way back towards his tent.

Once inside the cool canvas covering, Bryn placed her writing set on his desk. Gently pulling off her veil, she made special care to fold it just so and place it on the desk beside her writing set. The comb she left in her hair, pulling the curling tendrils away from her face in the humid day.

“Well, Valius…shall we explore?” She asked when she was finished, grinning as she took his arm and allowed herself to be guided wherever he saw fit.

The lush, thick green fronds of the palm trees shielded them from the heat of the day as they walked past their thick trunks. She tried to imagine what kind of trees would be waiting for her in Ithilien, but she could only imaging a land that was full of water, green and cool.

“I know that my betrothed is a generous and kind man. I know that he enjoys sword play and writing. But what was his wants and dreams?” She asked, glancing up towards his cool grey eyes. “What do you see for the future, Valius?”
 
Their walk of discovery through the oasis was as much a journey for him as for her. There were plants and trees here that he had read about but never before seen and others still that were unknown to him. The green was cooler than the desert, to be sure, but it was also humid and warm. It reminded him of the southern part of Ithilien where the forests were wet and tropical.

Bryn appeared to be set on her course of knowing him better and he did not mind at all. It was best to know one's spouse, of course, so it was in part a practical matter. There were plenty of romance stories in both kingdoms about people entering into marriages with those they did not know well, only to suffer and have to seek illicit satisfaction elsewhere.

But there were other reasons as well. Perhaps the only one that really mattered was that he wanted her to know more about him. There was a part of him that feared that she would disapprove of some parts of him or that he would lose her respect somehow but he knew those to be foolish thoughts.

"You ask deep questions, but good ones," he answered her first. "It is a hard one to answer as well, what I see in the future. For what I would have said a year ago is not what I would say now."

Valius walked on beside her a while before speaking, "I wish to see my kingdom prosper and my people happier, wealthier, and more educated than they are now. I wish to see Ithilien known and recognized by other nations for our skill and wisdom, respected but not feared, save as one would fear offending the dignity of a beloved matron. I wish to leave my land better than it was when I found it; if I do nothing else in my life, that will let me meet my forebears in what is beyond with no shame."

He laughed, "Airy and insubstantial goals, are they not?" The young man shrugged. "All true though. There's more, of course. I want a family again; to be a good father to my children. I want days and nights of love and passion alongside my wife. I want to see my countrymen cheer their Queen and watch her enspell them all as she has all who have met her. I want to be able to follow our traditions and raise my eldest to take the crown assisted by their siblings and retreat into retirement with you; to spend our days for ourselves."

"But still all airy and grand. Perhaps it does not speak to the immediate or personal wants of who I am, but it is a good start."
 
“I think you’re goals are lovely.” Bryn said, giving him a sweet smile as the grip her hand had on his arm tightened slightly before she let him continue on with his words.

She listened quietly, her red hair rustled by the breeze that blew through the trees. It was nice here in the shade, humid and warm but not scalding hot as the sands would be as the day continued. They were lucky that Dax knew that land and had led them to the little oasis. Another day in the desert and they surely would have been in trouble.

When he spoke of a family, she could hear the want and need in his voice. He needed stability and he wanted love. Did he not know that she would give him all of that and more? Had he really been so worried since his family’s passing? It told her so much more than her handsome king could ever tell her.

“It is a very good start.” She said, giving him a gentle smile as she pulled him beneath the fronds of a thick palm, settling at the base of the trunk before she patted the ground next to her.

“I think three children.” She started, a slight blush covering her cheeks as she talked about matters of the bedroom. “A strong, handsome son that is as smart as his father. And maybe two little girls that will turn their father grey well before his time.”

She couldn’t help the light hearted laughter that bubbled from her lips on her comment as she took Valius’s hand in hers, squeezing it gently. Her king needed to laugh more, to enjoy what life would give them. She was determined to make that happen.

“I want to make my husband proud. I want to make him laugh with abandon every day of our life together.” She brought his hand to her lips, kissing the back of it gently. “I want to warm his bed at night and spend my days in blissful joy. I want to be the Queen that he will respect and love.”

“Most of all…I want you happy, Valius. Above all things, I want you happy.”
 
He liked it when she took charge in little things like this, pulling him under a shady tree and inviting him to sit with her. He took the offered spot, snugged close with his fiery haired betrothed, both of their backs against the trunk of the palm.

Valius grinned when she started talking about children; both from the thought of being a father with her and at the blush that spread over her cheeks. It was cute but more than that he liked that it showed that she too was thinking not only of children but of what they would enjoy in making their family. Her laughter made his grin into a smile and drew a chuckle from him as well. “A pair of daughters to turn me gray. I’m sure they would, as lovely as their mother, I’d spend my time not working fending off suitors and constructing a tower to keep them in,” he said with a wink.

At her next words, the young king felt a rush of tender affection for his small and charming Queen-to-be. “Then the gods are with you, for your goals are already realized. At least in part.” He removed his hand from hers for a moment so that he could slip his arm around her waist before taking hold of it once more. “Though I am not yet your husband, I am already proud, and you have my respect and love. Indeed, both grow the more I am with you, the more I watch you.” And it was not him alone, he was sure. The rangers, Enna, Claudius, Bryn became more dear and worthy in their eyes with each passing hour. Bryn would be their Queen before they every reached the capital, let alone had the wedding.

“I feel you are destined to be a great Queen, my Bryn. I am not a superstitious man; I don’t believe in fate or destiny. But you…there is a greatness and a quiet majesty that touches all around you. I know you will be part of Ithilien’s history that is talked about for centuries to come.” He laughed again and shook his head, “Again I speak in grand and far off terms. But know this, my Bryn, happiness is a difficult thing with me. I have always been given to temper and to brooding, it is something of a family trait. My losses have only deepened it. But in the small time I have known you, I have smiled and laughed with an ease that has surprised and delighted me. You make me happy now, in a shallow sense. A deeper happiness will come in time, but I do not doubt you will achieve your goal.”
 
“If I do not achieve my goal, I will be a very unhappy woman.” Bryn teased, tipping her head until she could kiss her sweet prince as he held her tightly against his side.

She let out a satisfied sigh as he kissed her with the passion that she’d come to expect from him. Raising her hand, she pressed it against his cheek, pulling him deeper into the moment as she parted her lips to allow him access to play. It felt so incredibly naughty and so right at the same time to be kissing Valius beneath the wide canopy of the palm tree.

She wanted to wrap her arms around his neck and draw him to the ground on top of her, to let him do what he wished to her body in the warmth of the desert afternoon. Propriety was tiring. She wanted Valius in the most basic way a woman could want a man, but she knew she had to wait…

The kiss broke with an audible smack and she was panting as she stared up into his grey eyes, shivering at the look that he gave her. It was almost as if her betrothed was thinking the same thing that she was at that very moment. Is this what their whole life together would be like? Sharing thoughts and moments until they were perfectly in sync?

“I want you, my lord.” She whispered against his ear just before she nuzzled her nose against his cheek and throat. “I don’t think I’ll ever stop wanting and needing you near.”
 
Her sweet, light kisses were a joy that Valius delighted in. But it was her kisses such as this one that truly awed him and made the young man tumble deeper into love and lust with his blue eyed fiancee. That invitation to taste her further, deeper, and then her arms around him and her lips devouring his own. Gods great and small, it inflamed him mind, soul, and body.

And it was just a kiss. When they did make love, he might actually immolate.

Their lips parted with a sound that, in his mind, seemed to echo and in that resounding speak of their united desire. Though their mouths were separate, their eyes met and matching thoughts flashed through his orbs and hers.

And the words that went with those thoughts made him feel more a man, more alive and vital, than all the training and fighting he had ever seen. Women had told him that they'd wanted him before but it wasn't the same. This was not simply a matter of physical desire but wanting him as a whole. Bryn wanted every aspect of his being. It made her simple statements all the more powerful.

Gods, how much he wanted to answer her with action! To pull her onto his lap and kiss her with all the passion that burned in his heart, to tug and pull her garments off of that perfect, petite body, to give them the physical union that seemed to sing between them on other levels already.

But not yet. Not fucking yet.

This trip would be the greatest test of will that man or god had ever devised.

He did go so far as to pull her more fully to him, not quite on his lap but almost. "I hope you don't, I'm sure I never will myself." Life was such that there would be times when they would be apart and those times would be a trial. "It is so strange, in a way, to need you so. I know I lived before I met you but how I did so seems foreign and impossible to me now. I know that I couldn't do so again."

Valius chuckled and wriggled to the side enough for her to settle into a less seemingly compromising position. After all, if he kept her there or shifted her onto his lap, Dax was sure to materialize from out of nowhere and scold them both. "You have great power, my desert rose, though you may know it now. The ownership of men's hearts; mine and your father's. And others still, in the future, I think, will come under your happy thrall."
 
“I have no powers, Valius.” Bryn said, blushing under the look that he gave her as he sang her praises. “I only take ownership if the person allows it. I suppose they’re never truly mine either.”

“It’s easy to care for you, Val. Even when you’re dark and brooding.” She grinned, laughing at the look that he gave her.

“In many ways, you’re like Papa. Strong, lonely, and with no one to share your burden. I won’t allow you to feel the sadness that Papa has though.” She said softly, settling at his side as he tried to put some propriety into their relationship. “I’ve never met any other kings, but I suppose that they are much the same as you.”
 
At first, Valius felt a bit slighted at her comment but he had to admit that it was a fair one. He could not always be an easy person to be around. Her laughter at his expression made him turn a bit sheepish and then he shrugged and gave a brief chuckle, "Well, in the romances I read as a boy, the beautiful ladies always fell for the dark and brooding prince...and here you are. I suppose it works, after all."

He also wasn't sure he liked being compared to Aldor that way. Not that it was a bad thing but it felt a bit odd for the girl he loved and wanted in the worst way to be saying he was like her father. But then, it was natural, really. Bryn's fire when she was angry and her will reminded him of his mother. It was simply a thing that people did.

"I have met leaders of peoples before, though none other than Aldor who called themselves kings." The leader of the Fleet People was called the Admiral, the trading nomads that the Glacans had apparently wiped out had been led by Chiefs, and the tropical land to the south of Ithilien was ruled by the High Triad of their country's High Priestess, High Queen, and High Shaman. "The burden weighed heavy on them all, in one way or another, though those I have met did have others to share the charge of rulership with, in one way or another."

"Perhaps it is a flaw with having a King alone," he mused. "Though in truth, Ithilien is meant to have two rulers rather than one and my current situation is the result of tragedy rather than design." Valius shrugged and gave her a squeeze, "In any event, it is a burden and it is heavy. But I will bear it until you are ready to do so alongside me."

It would be sooner than she thought, he was sure. Valius was confident that she had a talent for leadership and administration given what he had seen of her so far.
 
“I shall try my best to be ready as quickly as possible, my lord.” She promised him, knowing that becoming the queen of a foreign land was an extremely daunting task.

Bryn enjoyed these little moments alone with Valius, getting to know the man that she had fallen so deeply in love with. She found it easy to talk to him, to love him, to want to make him happy. It would be a struggle, but she was sure it was a battle that she could easily win.

Their afternoon in the middle of the oasis was perhaps one of the most relaxing times of her life. She learned many things about Valius and she was sure that he learned much about her as well. It was important going into a union such as marriage to know the person that she would be marrying as well as she could.

Little ideas and thoughts popped into her head of ways that she could surprise her soon to be husband, to make him see that so much in the world was worthy of his attention and love. She would make him see that his people respected him, adored him, loved him just as much as she did.

When the call was given for the evening meal, Bryn realized how much time had passed since they set down. She glanced at Valius and gave a little sigh. “Shall we go to dinner, my lord?”
 
For a few moments, he did not reply. Yes, they should and they would. He knew that. But he was loath to break this intimate moment with her, not in the sexual sense but the personal sense. How many times would they have hours alone to just talk in the future?

Valius then shook his head and smiled, "We should, yes. Particularly since there will be more messages to go over afterward, unless the hawks have been delayed. If you still want to start learning the business of rule right away, you'll want something in your belly first."

It could be wearying work. This wouldn't be so bad; long messages couldn't really be sent by messenger hawk, after all. But when they were at home, she'd discover that going over the latest reports, requests, proposed laws, letters and all the rest could take hours upon hours with no break.

He rose and offered her his hands, pulling her to her feet and into a quick but heartfelt embrace before they started off back towards the main part of camp. "You should eat well tonight, Tomorrow we'll not be having a full breakfast, just trail rations so that we can get underway as fast as possible. If we do well, we might reach the mountains before the heat gets bad."

Dinner was a surprising affair, thanks to the traders. Whether by gift or trade, the cook had acquired a number of new spices and vegetables, as well as some dried fruits of a kind that Valius was unfamiliar with. "I wonder if our fellow travelers will be joining us this evening. I wouldn't mind hearing news or a new tale or two."
 
Bryn let out a joyful laugh as Valius pulled her to her feet and into his strong embrace. She grinned up at him, feeling her heart skip a beat at the smile that he returned. He had a playful side, a romantic side, and she wondered if he was even aware of it himself.

“I’ll eat whatever’s offered, my lord.” She said as he laid out what she should do that evening. “But only if it’s not that hard white cheese that you all seem to enjoy so much.” She knew she shouldn’t make up her mind so soon about something new, but she couldn’t help but wrinkle her nose at the memory.

Dinner that evening reminded her so much of home. The meat was spiced, delicious and savory. The grain that they had soaked in water to go with the meat was filling and spicy. It made her a little heartsick, but Bryn reveled in the familiar smells that the cook had worked hard to create.

“I wonder where they found these.” Bryn commented to Valius as she pressed a piece of dried fruit to his lips. “They’re very rare and a delicacy. It tastes like a tangy citrus.”

She waited until Valius took the bite that she offered and grinned at the look on his face. What would she do without the food of Al’Tir? Perhaps she would find things in Ithilien that reminded her of home. She wouldn’t think much on it. It would make her sad and if it was something that Valius didn’t need, it was a surly bride.

As the meal began to end, the traders showed up, laughing and talking with the Rangers as if they were old friends. Aurie and Dax reminisced of the various battles they had seen and laughed along with the other soldiers as they shared their stories as well. Bryn was even amazed to see Claudius joining in on the spirited conversation.

The woman from the nomad tribe joined in with the female Rangers, showing them how to use the new wears that they had purchased that day. The sight of Enna with a little blonde haired girl in her lap made Bryn smile. The woman was a natural with children and the little girl laughed and smiled as Enna showered her with attention.

“It gives me much hope to see everyone together.” Bryn whispered to Valius, taking his hand and squeezing it as she took in the sight of the two people mixing.
 
It was indecent how much he enjoyed Bryn feeding him like this. In Ithilien, there were rumors that the princes of the Fire Nation ate this way only, lounging on cushions while multiple wives fed them by hand. Foolish nonsense, of course, but he could see the appeal.

"Hm!" The fruit was quite good; tangy but not overly tart and a very refreshing taste for citrus. Perhaps he'd see if the traders would consider expanding their travels to Ithilien in time...but the journey over the mountains might be too much for them. "Very good, indeed," he said and then added in a low voice, "though not as sweet as the little taste of your fingers, my Bryn."

When the traders arrived, Valius stayed with Bryn and watched more than participated in the mingling. They split off into male and female groups. Was that a custom of theirs? Perhaps so, but it was also true that each gender did often prefer to spend time with like. He heard a few familiar stories from Claudius, a few featuring his father as a major supporting character, and heard Dax and Aurie's tales.

The squeeze of Bryn's hand drew his gaze to her. She was radiant and seemed even more so in the light of the joy she felt at the happily mingling people before them. Valius raised her hand to kiss and then set their joined hands between them, "It is a thing to behold, and it gives me comfort as well. We have found an enemy on this trip but also friends. Our cultures are different in many ways but I think this shows that one day, all of our people may mingle so freely to talk and tell tales."

As he was speaking, some of the trader men produced instruments; drums and objects that produced a rattle when shaken mostly, though some had flutes. They began to play a spirited, up tempo piece with a heavy, pouding rhythm.

Tara, Aurie's wife, paused in her conversation with Enna and tilted her head before smiling broadly. The blond stood up, as were a handful of others among the traders' women, and began to move towards a large central fire that had been kindled.

Over the music, Valius heard Aurie laugh and say, "Ah, now my friends, you will see why we who travel feel our lot is best! You will see dancing as never before!"

Valius looked over to his betrothed, "Bryn, do you know the customs of these people? What does he mean?"
 
Bryn blushed as Valius asked what Aurie was talking about as his wife stood to stand next to the fire. She looked at her betrothed and gave him a little smile, laughing softly as she wondered what exactly she should tell him.

“They’re harem dancers, Valius.” She said in a soft voice. “Or maybe they’ve trained as one. It’s a very beautiful way of dancing, one that many girls are taught as a way to be more graceful and pleasing for their husbands.”

Her dark blue eyes stared up into Valius’s storm grey gaze. Her heart was hammering in her chest as she watched those words sink into his brain. “I wouldn’t mind dancing for you, Valius…but perhaps only in private.”

Her cheeks were crimson red as those words left her lips and the exotic sounds of the band struck up around them, playing songs familiar to Al’Tir. Bryn reached up and touched Valius’s cheek as the women started to sway and move to the tempo, laughing among one another as they danced in their ancient way.

“I’m not as good as them, but I most certainly can try my hardest to please you, my lord.” Bryn whispered in a low voice.
 
Harem dancers? What did that mean? He knew what a harem was, but he hadn't thought they actually existed anymore. "To be pleasing to their husbands," he repeated. The possibilities that brought to his mind were...exhilarating.

His eyes widened as Bryn hinted that she could dance this way and that she would, for him. Given the blush on her cheeks, he wondered how accurate his thoughts about what the dance might be were. He smiled and turned to kiss her small hand after it pressed to his cheek, "I'm sure you're better than you think and I would love to have you dance for me one day soon."

The trader women had begun to dance as they spoke and Aurie was right, it was like no dance the people of Ithilien had ever seen. They gyrated and rolled their hips, asses shaking, bellies flexing, breasts jiggling and bouncing in their clothes but all in tempo, all in rhythm, all fully controlled. They moved with a quick grace that was still somehow deliberate and measured, strutting and turning about the fire. Here and there a scarf might tumble away to reveal a bit more skin, or a blouse might loosen a few buttons, a skirt lift just a bit to tease with a hint more leg.

The Ithilien men, and some of the women, were enthralled. Their eyes devoured every moment and drank it in. Those Ithilien women not struck with desire by the dancers themselves studied the effect it had intently and watched the dancers closely as well, if only to try and pick up how it was done.

The rhythm of the music grew faster and faster as they danced, whirling and turning, gyrating and flaunting, the drums pounding and resounding in the growing twilight.

Valius' mouth was dry and he found himself embarrassing unable to look away. He was blushing, as were many of the men so watching. "And I thought your people prudish, my Bryn," he said. "I may have judged too soon."
 
Back
Top