What's for dinner?

A big burger, apple juice and chocolate almonds. Dinner on the move at the airport.
 
When I lived in Texas I knew several people who had strong opinions on dinner, can't remember if it was ONLY the mid day meal, or ONLY the evening meal and that they never had 'lunch' or 'supper'. It seemed to be a point of pride that Yankees had lunch (or was it supper?) and Texans had Dinner.

Which seemed like a bunch of hooey to me. I grew up with B'fast, Lunch, and supper, unless it was a special meal, then that meal was dinner. For instance, the mid day meal after church on Sunday was "Sunday Dinner". Likewise the special evening meal to celebrate something was Dinner.

For me, last night's evening meal was dinner, Steak at our favorite place, and tonight will be supper, the left overs from last night's dinner. It will primarily consist of the small portion that is left from my filet mignon. and half of the large amount of appetizer that we didn't finish. - cheese fries with bacon bits. I'll start the oven pre-heating before my better half gets home.
 
When I lived in Texas I knew several people who had strong opinions on dinner, can't remember if it was ONLY the mid day meal, or ONLY the evening meal and that they never had 'lunch' or 'supper'. It seemed to be a point of pride that Yankees had lunch (or was it supper?) and Texans had Dinner.

Which seemed like a bunch of hooey to me. I grew up with B'fast, Lunch, and supper, unless it was a special meal, then that meal was dinner. For instance, the mid day meal after church on Sunday was "Sunday Dinner". Likewise the special evening meal to celebrate something was Dinner.

For me, last night's evening meal was dinner, Steak at our favorite place, and tonight will be supper, the left overs from last night's dinner. It will primarily consist of the small portion that is left from my filet mignon. and half of the large amount of appetizer that we didn't finish. - cheese fries with bacon bits. I'll start the oven pre-heating before my better half gets home.

I never thought of it like that, thank you!
 
Dinner tonight was traditional snow day fare - homemade pizza. Of course, in honor of Pi Day, it was Pizza PIE.
 
A big bowl of leftover homemade chili. It's always better a few days later. :)
 
Supper is often not the day's major meal when we're on the road, like now. An expansive brunch or lunch may lead to supping on kale salad with walnuts and cranberries washed down with strong wine. We'll add low-fat corndogs tonight.

Some favorite travel suppers:

* Supermarket deli potato salad, cole slaw, and a roast chicken
* Whatever a local Mexican, Chinese, or Indian eatery is serving
* Cheesy veggie omelet and nuked potatoes if we have a kitchen
* Bistro burgers and pitchers of dark beer at a friendly roadhouse
* Similarly: an assortment of happy-hour appetizer specials, yum

Local specialties also entice us. We'll be BBQ-ing across the USA South, taco-ing across the SouthWest, lobstering and chowdering across coastal New England... and we're always searching for the perfect Wor Won Ton soup..
 
Same thing as yesterday. Went along with movies, part one yesterday and part two today of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. Now I just have to show the munchkin Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
 
Shrimps and steamed rice with lightly steamed vegetables.
Diced apples and raisins with home made yogurt for dessert (tried making some on Monday overnight and it went really well so now we have four huge jars of yogurt in the fridge)

Tomorrow is Tae Kwon Do and junkfood night to compensate. A big fat juicy burger and fries.
 
Shrimps and steamed rice with lightly steamed vegetables.
Diced apples and raisins with home made yogurt for dessert (tried making some on Monday overnight and it went really well so now we have four huge jars of yogurt in the fridge)

Tomorrow is Tae Kwon Do and junkfood night to compensate. A big fat juicy burger and fries.

I had a very similar dinner tonight.
 
Taco salad with homemade seasoning, guacamole, taco chips, sour cream and plenty of very sharp cheddar cheese.
 
Turkey Meatballs in Spicy Tomato Sauce with Spaghetti

Got the turkey mice out to defrost a few minutes ago.

ek0201_pasta.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.616.462.jpeg
 
When I was a kid we had servants (yep) and we trapped thirty-six of them in a remote castle where we indulged our wildest and most forbidden aristocratic perversions, eventually escalating to our slaughtering and cannibalizing them

Ahem. Sorry. That for some reason is the sentence I always see following any declaration that people had servants. I'm working on that with my therapist.

Let's have another snap at this:

When I was a kid we had servants (yep) and 'dinner' began at about six in the morning (a lot earlier if you counted that people went to the 'wet markets'

beavis-and-butthead-laughing-o.gif


Heheheheh. You said --

Ahem. Sorry. I can be adult about this.

I personally find a good Dutch sausage . . . .both firm and long and capable of getting the salivatory juices going A LOT.

beavis-and-butthead-laughing-o.gif


Or not. I'll just show myself out.



(PS. The actual culinary matter of your post sounds amazing, though. For reals.)
 
I'm currently unable to chew or indeed bite, so dinner consisted of flaked steamed white fish, mashed potatoes with the consistency of prison custard (sloppy, semi-transparent, and an affront to civilisation), strained peas, and cream of wheat with a blob of raspberry jam on it, as if that somehow makes it better; I'm reliably informed that there's more of the same tomorrow. Someone, anyone, please kill me...
 
Bangers & Mash

I had to look that up coz I was like :eek: when I read "Bangers". What the heck are Bangers, I said to myself.

And then I found Toad in the Hole and I was, like, whaaaaaaat? The english eat toads? I thought that was only the French and it was Frogs....

And then I found out what Toad in the Hole really is. And that there's our own version of this but it uses eggs instead of "bangers". Who knew?

So I'm going to try making that english version for tonight.... I just have to send my beloved out today to find some english beer to drink with the english recipe. I'm sure this is a domestic task he will be eager to take on :D

https://encrypted-tbn2.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRy-gHgIIOn64xo_h5xRkmDN-Bl5Tdzn26JBWHzfXdDxcVmWPX47g

And now the quest for the quintessential english dessert to go with the english main course. And I'm thinking this Sticky Toffee Pudding thing looks perfect. With a Toffee Sauce and Vanilla Custard AND Icecream.

I'm thinking now I might ask him if he wants to invite a couple of his buddies over - sausages, heaps and piles of carbs, gooey dessert with loads of icecream and a gourmet selection of whatever english beer he can find. Nothing green. They'll all be happy campers and Chloe will have fun experimenting in the kitchen. These don't look too challenging, she says hopefully.

sticky-toffee-pudding-472x628.jpg
 
Sorry, Chloe; I'd forgotten that there are those for whom the myriad delights of simple English cuisine are a closed book.
There are many types of sausages in England. Pork or Beef (or a mixture of both), and I'm not counting the "Vegitarian" option (mostly Soya-based).

Bangers & Mash is a couple of fried sausages with peas, mashed potato and loads of good rich gravy. Served with fresh crusty bread (to mop up the surplus gravy).
It's a feast fit for a king (especially if followed by trifle, Jelly & custard or ice cream.

Toad in the hole ?
That depends on which part of England you're in.

But tonight? It's steak.
 
Back
Top