I am Music

This is a tribute...not a live video...so feel free to close your eyes and just feel the presence of one of the most emotionally chaged voices ever...and Sweet Dreams ... :kiss:

Raintrip

thought when I saw your face on
a thread..it would just be for kicks,
chance meeting, few laughs
stella and dance...
and then you walked up to me
this stranger ...danger in black leather
muscle strut...
curly hair ..coal winter eyes ....
and then ...I played this song in my mind....
the rest...tipped the raintrip....on the back
of a harley...

AnnWilson

Here's the third movement of Samuel Barber's Violin Concerto played by Giora Schmidt with Itzak Perlman and the Israel Philharmonic. This is a fabulous piece live, 'cuz it's like watching Eddie Van Halen play classical music. Harder than hell, but absolutely rocks.

Supposedly the violinist who commissioned the concerto, after reviewing the first two movements (Barber had yet to write the third), complained that they were too easy. When this was plunked down in from of him, he backed out of the premiere, calling it "unplayable." Dumbshit.

Oh. When you're through listening to that one, check out the last movement of Barber's Piano Sonata, played by Stephen Beus. It's pretty effing difficult, too.

Thanks for posting those, B. Barber is one of my favourite composers. It's wonderful to be able to watch Schmidt's left hand working.

Some days

the universe just kicks your ass through the halls of time and ya feel like this...
and I did today...and for the next week or so...eeek....
vivalditrubute

Bridging Cultural Gaps

This is a fascinating bit of video to me. It's Van Cliburn playing the second movement of Beethoven's Emperor Concerto. Well, the third movement is my favorite (used to listen to the concerto on the old hi-fi with my dad when I was a little kid), but this was filmed in Moscow in 1962. So it must have been either shortly before or shortly after the Cuban Missile Crisis, and here is this young American playing with a Russian conductor, before a Russian audience at the height of the Cold War. And for the space of that concerto, all that matters to any of them is the music.

There must be a poem in that, but I'm too tired to write it tonight. :D

Usher :

U Got It Bad

Oh, no, no, no, no, no...

When you feel it in your body
You found somebody who makes you change your ways
Like hanging with your crew
Said you act like you're ready
But you don't really know
And everything in your past - you wanna let it go

I've been there, done it, fucked around
After all that - this is what I found
Nobody wants to be alone
If you're touched by the words in this song
Then baby...

U got, u got it bad
When you're on the phone
Hang up and you call right back
U got, u got it bad
If you miss a day without your friend
Your whole life's off track
You know you got it bad when you're stuck in the house
You don't wanna have fun
It's all you think about
U got it bad when you're out with someone
But you keep on thinkin' bout somebody else
U got it bad

When you say that you love 'em
And you really know
Everything that used to matter, don't matter no more
Like my money, all my cars
(You can have it all back)
Flowers, cards and candy
(I do it just cause I'm...)
Said I'm fortunate to have you girl
I want you to know
I really adore you
All my people who know what's going on
Look at your mate, help me sing my song
Tell her I'm your man, you're my girl
I'm gonna tell it to the whole wide world
Ladies say I'm your girl, you're my man
Promise to love you the best I can

See I've been there, done it, fucked around
After all that - this is what I found
Everyone of y'all are just like me
It's too bad that you can't see
That you got it bad...hey

U got, u got it bad
When you're on the phone
U got, u got it bad
You don't wanna have fun
It's all you think about
U got it bad

breakdown

U got, u got it bad
When you're on the phone
U got, u got it bad
You don't wanna have fun
It's all you think about
U got it bad

I gotta give credit here. I got this link from the fantabulous Dennis Mahagin's blog, 4 hour hard on. Trust me. It's groovy. The link and the blog.

Erp. So, anyway, this is the Zombies. Very very old school and a song that I have actually played professionally. (I think we made a total of $100 from the gig. I got twenty bucks for faking the bass line on my decommissioned 12-string, because we didn't have a bass player. Just switched off the bridge pickup and turned down the treble. Good enough to fool a bunch of drunk sailor boys who weren't gonna care anyway. They were, frankly, just looking to get laid. I was as well.)

The video features some excellent 60s birds. Gear. Fab. Rave. :cool:

Last edited:
Tzara said:
I gotta give credit here. I got this link from the fantabulous Dennis Mahagin's blog, 4 hour hard on. Trust me. It's groovy. The link and the blog.

Erp. So, anyway, this is the Zombies. Very very old school and a song that I have actually played professionally. (I think we made a total of $100 from the gig. I got twenty bucks for faking the bass line on my decommissioned 12-string, because we didn't have a bass player. Just switched off the bridge pickup and turned down the treble. Good enough to fool a bunch of drunk sailor boys who weren't gonna care anyway. They were, frankly, just looking to get laid. I was as well.)

The video features some excellent 60s birds. Gear. Fab. Rave. :cool:

Speaking of birds, (not the female ones, but the singing, guitar-playing ones), weren't The Birds a great band? Well I loved (still love) them. Here's a cool video of Eight Miles High. Try to ignore the annoying banner that rolls through the first minute of the clip much as annoying AM deejays used to talk through the first minute of a song on the radio. Anyway, you know the answers to the questions: Is the song about "getting high without a plane"? Um, yes. "Were they a great band?" Duh.

Enjoy this very dated, kosmic clip. :)

Angeline said:
Speaking of birds, (not the female ones, but the singing, guitar-playing ones), weren't The Birds a great band?
Only like my all-time favorite. That's my all-time favorite song, too, though I also like this one a lot. Here's a cover version by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I love TP's jacket.

The Heartbreakers also made what, in my opinion, is the Best Byrds Song Not Actually by The Byrds: American Girl.

Now I want a Vox Phantom twelve-string. Ain't it beautiful?

Tzara said:
Only like my all-time favorite. That's my all-time favorite song, too, though I also like this one a lot. Here's a cover version by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I love TP's jacket.

The Heartbreakers also made what, in my opinion, is the Best Byrds Song Not Actually by The Byrds: American Girl.

Now I want a Vox Phantom twelve-string. Ain't it beautiful?

Oh, I forgot about So You Wanna Be a Rock-and-Roll Star! I love that one even more than Eight Miles High. And that's a great video! On a side note, when my son went through his wanna be a r and r star phase--ages 13 to 15--I used to chase him around singing that song. (Yes, he hated it. lol)

Now my all-time favorite is Buffalo Springfield. I love this clip of For What It's Worth. They all look so young (especially Neil--lol, sorry, pun intended). Too bad I can't find of clip of Kind Woman or Bluebird or my very, very favorite Hung Upsidedown. Ah well, here's a cool CSNY (or SY?) version of Mr. Soul, which I noticed you used to have in your sig line.

Edited to add: Here's the original Buffalo Springfield doing Mr. Soul. eagleyez and I just watched it with big, silly grins on our faces. It's just the kind of music that makes you want to smile and smile. ;)

Last edited:
Back