Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I went for my annual hospital check for my ankylosing spondilitis.

I have MORE flexibility than last year. I haven't got much more, but any improvement is unexpected. The credit must go to my physiotherapist who beats my soft tissues up once every six weeks.

Ankylosing spondylitis has a very erratic and unpredictable prognosis, Og, but exercise always helps maintain and develop flexibility. The soft tissue treatment is good in that it relaxes the muscles that tend to seize up and inhibit flexion, but you should be doing flex exercises, no matter how slight, to take advantage of the relaxed muscles. If you find yourself very stiff when you wake, get a really firm mattress and sleep on your back (if I'm telling you things you already know, just ignore me). Laying supine on the floor and doing slight pelvic tilts is good for the sacrum and lumbar regions of the vertebral column.
Do what ever you can for it; I have some skeletons in my collection with such fusion and osteophytic growth that the person could barely have moved when alive. You do want to stave off that degree of the condition if you at all can.

Do what ever you can for it; I have some skeletons in my collection with such fusion and osteophytic growth that the person could barely have moved when alive. You do want to stave off that degree of the condition if you at all can.

Thank you for the advice.

I have had it for over 30 years, undiagnosed for 20+ of them. My condition is fairly mild compared with others attending the clinic today but I keep moving as much as I can.

Lifting and carrying the grandson can be a pain...

I think my other medical conditions will kill me off before the AS gets too bad but if my ancestors are any guide, I've got another 20 years or so to go. Almost all who survived childhood were exceeding three score and ten years in the 18th Century, and lived even longer in the 19th and 20th.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice.

I have had it for over 30 years, undiagnosed for 20+ of them. My condition is fairly mild compared with others attending the clinic today but I keep moving as much as I can.

Lifting and carrying the grandson can be a pain...

I think my other medical conditions will kill me off before the AS gets too bad but if my ancestors are any guide, I've got another 20 years or so to go. Almost all who survived childhood were exceeding three score and ten years in the 18th Century, and lived even longer in the 19th and 20th.

It's always nice when the ancestors aren't rushing their descendants to join them.

It's always nice when the ancestors aren't rushing their descendants to join them.

It has caused me some difficulties when doing research because when I found someone in the 1871 or 1881 censuses I tended to assume that they couldn't have been born in the 18th Century - but they were.

My eldest aunt was born in the 19th Century. She was still working, admittedly only part-time, in 1990. She was running a youth club for disaffected South London teenagers...

It has caused me some difficulties when doing research because when I found someone in the 1871 or 1881 censuses I tended to assume that they couldn't have been born in the 18th Century - but they were.

My eldest aunt was born in the 19th Century. She was still working, admittedly only part-time, in 1990. She was running a youth club for disaffected South London teenagers...

So, Og, not only longevity but depravity is in your genes...:eek:

My brother's a street missionary;
He saves fallen women from sin.
He'll save you a blond for ten shillings;
My God, how the money rolls in.

So, Og, not only longevity but depravity is in your genes...:eek:

Yep. Granddad was a drunken printer. My aunt had to intercept him between work and the pub to get any money for the family.

One of the apparent ancestors on my mother's side was executed at Tyburn in 1700 for burglary. Not the crimes he was executed for, but earlier crimes included:

- robbing 1000 pounds from King William's tent when campaigning in Flanders;

- he stole the silver plate from the churches of Brussels, Mechlin and Antwerp, including that displayed on the altars;

- he was sentenced to death by court-martial for killing a fellow soldier, escaped to claim sanctuary in a church in Ghent (which he hadn't robbed yet) was pardoned and allowed to rejoin the army, but a few days later he broke into the same church and stole silver to the value of 1200 pounds but when apprehended he didn't have the silver so was discharged for lack of evidence;

- in 1697 when the army returned to England and his regiment was disbanded he became the leader of a band of highwaymen who operated for three years despite some of them being captured and executed;

- He was finally caught red-handed in July 1700 while stealing two feather beds and pleaded guilty.

After sentence he admitted all the above crimes but declared that he hadn't killed anyone in the course of highway or domestic robberies but had killed four or five (he wasn't sure of the exact number) in private quarrels.

On the way to Tyburn he finally admitted that he WASN'T my ancestor at all but had borrowed my ancestor's name after having escaped from Newgate Prison again six months before he had been caught.

I would have been proud to have such a dangerous villain as an ancestor, but it is enough that he was tried in my ancestor's name...

Snow is forecast for tomorrow night, perhaps tonight.

Both local TV news programmes had dire warnings and asked questions about how well the county is prepared for snow. The road gritters have been out and about and will be around in the early hours.

How much snow is expected to wreck our commuting tomorrow, or will ruin our weekend? 2 to 4.

2 to 4 what? Metres? Yards? Feet?

No. Centimetres. i.e. an inch or two.

Disaster is upon us!

Finished reading a 19 part story on Lit earlier today, only to realize that the last part was not the end of the story. I was further dismayed to find out that the last written part of the story had been added in May of 2010, pretty much killing any hope I had of a final chapter being written any time soon. I hate that! They were so close to finishing the story and it was really well written. It sounded like things were coming to a close and stuff would get resolved.

Not only that, but the 18th chapter left me feeling like someone had punched me in the stomach. I felt a little better after Chapter 19, but it really needed the final chapter to resolve everything. Now I can't stop thinking about it and still have that sick feeling in my stomach.

I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS DAMNIT! :mad:

Finished reading a 19 part story on Lit earlier today, only to realize that the last part was not the end of the story. I was further dismayed to find out that the last written part of the story had been added in May of 2010, pretty much killing any hope I had of a final chapter being written any time soon. I hate that! They were so close to finishing the story and it was really well written. It sounded like things were coming to a close and stuff would get resolved.

Not only that, but the 18th chapter left me feeling like someone had punched me in the stomach. I felt a little better after Chapter 19, but it really needed the final chapter to resolve everything. Now I can't stop thinking about it and still have that sick feeling in my stomach.

I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS DAMNIT! :mad:

Try sending a PM to the author.

What were my ancestors up to?

I've been trawling through 19th Century census returns.

In the 1861 census, an ancestor John is shown as being married to another John. I didn't know that was possible then, especially as they apparently had three children.

I've been trawling through 19th Century census returns.

In the 1861 census, an ancestor John is shown as being married to another John. I didn't know that was possible then, especially as they apparently had three children.

Either there is a misprint or someone in your family had a strange sense of humor where female names are concerned.

My guess would be an oblivious census taker.

"Hello, I am Mr Jon Whatever, and this is the wife, Mrs Jon Whatever."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back