1789 (closed for ShadowKelly)

IreStockTrader

Experienced
Joined
Aug 4, 2014
Posts
35
June 1789

Adam Stanford was a peasant, in every way possible. His father was a farmer, and his mother sold the farm produce at the local market. He left the small town that he had spent eighteen years maturing into a young man, for the riches of the big city. But all he had managed to do was find a job as a servant at the mansion of Countess Admore. He still dreamt of the possibility of making something of himself in the city, even if it looked like a pipedream right now. For months, he dragged himself through the sorry excuse that was his life. But one day, it all changed. That change arrived in the form of the countess' niece, the daughter of some noble lord from up north. She was here to meet her future husband, and close ties between two noble families.

She was one beautiful girl. Adam had not seen a more beautiful girl in his young life. But while he found his affection growing, there was no way she could ever feel the same way.
 
Princess Cassandra greeted the lesser nobility lining the steps to the manse with an effortless grace that only came from countless hours of memorization and repetition. She had never met any of them before, but greeted each and every one as though they were an old friend, commending each family’s successes while tactfully avoiding any mention of their disgraces. It was a role that she was well suited to, even if she did find it all so tedious. The smile never faltered from her lips as she made her way through the crowd until she stood before Countess Admore. A genuine smile spread across her lips now, as she dipped into a low courtesy. “Auntie,” she said gleefully, sounding more like a child than a polished princess.

“Cass,” her aunt replied with a smile equal to her own, as they embraced. It had been a number of years since she had seen her aunt, and it seemed strange to be looking down on the woman that had loomed so high above when she was a girl. “My goodness, look at you,” she said running her fingers through Cassandra’s wavy dark brown hair and along the fair skin of her cheek. “A beautiful princess, it is no wonder the suitors have been streaming into the city from far and wide for a chance at your hand. I couldn’t be more proud of my dear little niece.”

Cassandra blushed. “You are much to kind, Auntie.” She took a step back and smoothed her light blue dress, which was tied tight to accentuate the swell of her cleavage. Of course, Cassandra knew that everything that her aunt had said was true. Princes had been seeking her hand long before it was appropriate to do so, but now at 18 years old, it was passed time for her to be married and it would be her decision. It was rare that a woman would be given so much power, and her father had been nearly impossible to convince, but her aunt had fought hard and prevailed to bring her to the city and let a decision that could affect the allegiances of the kingdoms rest upon her slender shoulders.

“You must be exhausted, my dear. Please, come inside. You are home.”

With only a nod, Cassandra moved to her aunt’s side, and they walked side by side into the mansion.
 
Adam watched as Princess Cassandra made her way down the line, patiently waiting his turn. When she appeared in front of him, her smile melted his heart. He nervously took her hand, and offered stuttered thanks for her kind words about his family. But then she was gone as she appeared. Once inside, the servants were ushered off to their daily tasks. His master barked his name,

"Adam! Grab the princess' luggage and bring it to her chambers! Now Adam!"

"Yes sir", Adam replied. He picked the two large suitcases, and struggled his way up 3 sets of stairs. He knocked on the door.

"Princess, I have your luggage. Where would you like it?"
 
Once she finally arrived in her room, Cassandra's head was pounding from exhaustion. Her father had gone through great pains to remind her of her duty and responsibility in the days before her journey. In her position, she could not afford to take her decision lightly and needed to take into account all of the consequences of her choice. She had thought that it had been his typical overreaction. Like most men in a position of power, he didn't think that a woman should be trusted with such a monumental decision, not even his own daughter.

She had expected support from her aunt when they sat down to discuss how the courtship would take place. She was shocked at how blunt her aunt was. It made her father's nagging feel like a pep talk. "You may think that these suitors are chasing you; chasing your charm and beauty. They are not. Our land has many beautiful and charming girls, daughters of farmers and servants, that they will gladly fuck to their hearts content. You are not a girl. You are a princess and it is your seat that they lust for." The tone in her aunt's voice was full of condescension. Her aunt proceeded to lecture her at length about the perils of being "a foolish girl" because some would come only to try to taint her reputation, and casting out the "foolish notion" that this had anything to do with love.

She wearily opened the glass double doors that led out to her private balcony and garden and took in the view of the city where her future would be decided. Her aunt's mansion was on the eastern outskirts, nestled into the side of a hill and provided a stunning view overlooking the city, with the sun beginning to set over the hills in the west and the orange glimmer of a meandering river through the center. It was breathtaking. Her own palace in the north was beautiful, but much more rural. She had never seen a sight quite like this combining a vast urban sprawl with nature.

Over the coming weeks and months, she was sure that this would become her sanctuary, a place to meditate. The gardens provided a feeling of home with the nature she was so accustomed to, while the city a constant reminder of where she was and the work that she was there to do. She took a few deep breaths, trying to suppress those seeds of doubt that had crept into her mind. She had walked up those steps a few hours earlier confident and regal. She was smart and strong, more than capable of the decision before her. She didn't need to be told that a decision based solely on love or lust would prove to be a disaster. She tried to remember how excited she had been just a few hours earlier for the courting to begin, how eager she was to have every high born prince vying for her hand.

She was startled by a noise behind her in her room and for a moment her heart raced as she remembered her aunt warning her of the danger she was subjecting herself to. Many people were unhappy about how her courtship was being handled and may be willing to take drastic action to derail the process. She stepped back into her room, calling the air of authority that came easily to her at home as she confronted the intruder, staring at him coldly through her icy green eyes. "I left instructions that I wasn't to be bothered," she barked at the man, a servant that she recognized from earlier in the day. Her mind raced to recall his name, until she was certain that she had it. "I suppose I do need my luggage though. Please leave them by the door, Adam and send for," she searched her brain for the name of her handmaiden, "Amanda. I will require a bath before I join my aunt for dinner."
 
Adam set the bags down.

"Yes ma'am", bowing as he left. Man, what he'd give to be seen by her as anything but a slave. But that would never happen. He had his place in life, and she had hers.

He fetched Amanda, delivering the message. He then reported to the kitchen to help with the dinner preparation. Under Mr. Scott, he was part of a team of twelve that carried out tasks from bell boy to waiter. As this was Cassandra's first night at the manor, the Countess was putting on a lavish spread. It would take hours to prepare.
 
Back
Top