The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please be specific. Last winter? This present winter? The winter due next week?

Ahh, poutine! I dreamed of poutine in dfac lineups. A dish ranging from an inedible mess suitable only for whiney SJWs and ex wives/husbands to an angelic repast only one's late, lamented great-grandmother could do justice to.

Best eaten outdoors in springtime off real newsprint. Beer or Pepsi is useful, but not essential.
I hope you enjoy. Having released the recipe, I will have to spend the rest of my life in hiding...

Erm, forgive me please, but WTF :-
dfac ?
SJW ?

<<<< Slips in to make fresh coffee for the morning crew.

Oh good.
Most appreciated, that.

Erm, forgive me please, but WTF :-
dfac ?
SJW ?

Oh good.
Most appreciated, that.

Dfac = military speak = dining facility = mess hall or whatever the Brit term was/is

SJW = social justice warrior and we won't go further than that :cool:

Dfac = military speak = dining facility = mess hall or whatever the Brit term was/is

SJW = social justice warrior and we won't go further than that :cool:

Brit term - canteen, usually run by the NAAFI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy,_Army_and_Air_Force_Institutes

NAAFI facilities are usually run by ex-service people or their families as civilians. There was a difficulty during the Falklands War when a NAAFI manager on a navy ship took over an anti-aircraft gun when the crew were injured and shot down an Argentine plane.

Was he committing a crime because he was a civilian, not a uniformed combatant? It was never resolved because 1. there was doubt whether it was his gun or another than downed the aircraft, and 2. he was a service reservist so was he or was he not a civilian?

. There was a difficulty during the Falklands War when a NAAFI manager on a navy ship took over an anti-aircraft gun when the crew were injured and shot down an Argentine plane.

Was he committing a crime because he was a civilian, not a uniformed combatant? It was never resolved because 1. there was doubt whether it was his gun or another than downed the aircraft, and 2. he was a service reservist so was he or was he not a civilian?

No Og - He was a winner - that covers most problems.:)

No Og - He was a winner - that covers most problems.:)

I know. Winners aren't usually prosecuted for war crimes.

One of my father's Australian friends was in a similar position during WW2 in New Guinea. He was a civilian supply officer working for the Defence Department. He went up the Kokoda trail to see for himself the difficulties in getting supplies through.

He had fought in WW1 at Gallipoli and on the Western Front. His brothers had died in that war.

The supply column was attacked by the Japanese who had outflanked the Allies' front line. The supply officer grabbed a Bren gun from an injured soldier and helped defend the column from the Japanese. He is thought to have killed at least twenty Japanese.

But he was a non-combatant, a civilian. The Australian authorities didn't know whether to give him a medal or a court-martial. He was wearing his ex-WW1 slouch hat. Apparently it was important that the badge was on the hat. It was. The badge meant he was 'in uniform' and therefore a legitimate combatant despite having been discharged from the Army Reserve a decade earlier.

He didn't get a medal. He wasn't court-martialed. Back at base the troops bought him a beer...

Last edited:
Large black, please, Tex.

Brought banana bread for the peckish ones among us.

Make some with apple rather than 'nana and I'll be there in double quick time.

You know, Ogg, it seems to me on occasion that there really should be some decent form of 'award' for circumstances like those mentioned. And I do not mean a BEM. . .

Did someone say 'coffee' ? Yes please

Make some with apple rather than 'nana and I'll be there in double quick time.

More for me then!

We have a beautiful morning here. it's not very cold, and there's a few hot air balloons decorating the skyline. It's supposed to get up to 78F this afternoon ahead of another spring storm that will bring us wind but probably no rain.

The Lit readers are teaching me once again that I shouldn't put much effort into stories I post here. Only one of my other stories had fewer views after its first full day than "Tamsin of Sky Village," and that one had a better score.

The Lit readers are teaching me once again that I shouldn't put much effort into stories I post here. Only one of my other stories had fewer views after its first full day than "Tamsin of Sky Village," and that one had a better score.

Ohhhhh not just you. My monster hunting story only has 2k views after its first day. Too long and not enough sex I guess. Will see what the weekend brings.

Ohhhhh not just you. My monster hunting story only has 2k views after its first day. Too long and not enough sex I guess. Will see what the weekend brings.

People won't know how long it is or how much sex there is until after they've opened it, which I think counts as a view.

Tamsin hasn't even broken 800 views yet. The short description may put people off, and it doesn't have the contest page to help. I suspect that yesterday may have been a low-traffic day for some reason.

People won't know how long it is or how much sex there is until after they've opened it, which I think counts as a view.

Tamsin hasn't even broken 800 views yet. The short description may put people off, and it doesn't have the contest page to help. I suspect that yesterday may have been a low-traffic day for some reason.

Well I picked up my obligatory one stars early on so I'm good with that. And I've had a few messages and emails saying readers have started reading it.....

Well I picked up my obligatory one stars early on so I'm good with that. And I've had a few messages and emails saying readers have started reading it.....

Given its length I think you have to expect a delayed response. You know most of the early votes came from people who didn't have time to read it. It'll be interesting to see where it goes after the sweeps.

Given its length I think you have to expect a delayed response. You know most of the early votes came from people who didn't have time to read it. It'll be interesting to see where it goes after the sweeps.

Yeah. Took me a while to get through it - my lips kept getting tired. :)

And awaiting the sweep so I can find out what real readers think of my April.

It has been an interesting last two days, I must say. Phone calls from up there, phone call from over there. If things work out, I can quit my day job. Oh wait, I don't have a day job. :eek:

Fresh coffee for the evening crowd.

It has been an interesting last two days, I must say. Phone calls from up there, phone call from over there. If things work out, I can quit my day job. Oh wait, I don't have a day job. :eek:

Fresh coffee for the evening crowd.

When do they start wanting you to travel to promote your books?

When do they start wanting you to travel to promote your books?

Uh.... They already have someone for that. Dirty Old Men should never promote anything related to young adults. :eek: I'm not even the grandfatherly type according to the ad people. Anyway, with all them MILF's around, I'd surely get myself in trouble.

Uh.... They already have someone for that. Dirty Old Men should never promote anything related to young adults. :eek: I'm not even the grandfatherly type according to the ad people. Anyway, with all them MILF's around, I'd surely get myself in trouble.

I just spit my coffee. Oh no, I can imagine all to well. Autographes and moms. Laying of. Plot bunny......

And the bounty on those chupacabras and vampires should cover the twinkies and Mountain Dew. No y problema, as they say.

I just spit my coffee. Oh no, I can imagine all to well. Autographes and moms. Laying of. Plot bunny......

And the bounty on those chupacabras and vampires should cover the twinkies and Mountain Dew. No y problema, as they say.

He does keep me from moving a dungeon in. :eek: That might cause more problems than MILF's.

Tea, please.

Chloe, I've put the E-type back in the garage and a few other, miscellaneous, souvenirs collected for the <cough cough> 'museum. I've cleaned up the H&H; I don't think I'll have to have it 'serviced' this year, but you never know. I might chop it in and/or get it modified for .416.

Tx, I do hope I didn't damage anything when I had the accident with that faulty round out back.

What do you think?

My most recent story went up Wednesday in SciFi&F and now has a grand total of 879 views. It's only my second story in the category, so maybe that's normal. I don't know, but the 879 includes views it would have gotten off the new list, as well.

There aren't many things that can induce a reader to click on a story: Title, short description, score, comments, favorites, author name--and all those are only available in the hub.

The score wasn't especially bad, but it didn't have a red H until yesterday, so that could have hurt it. I'm not a well-known author and (common in SF) the views and comments are low. The only other prime suspect that comes to mind is the short description.

The short description on the story is:

A woman struggles to save her adopted people.

I could have written that as:

A woman fights to save her adopted people.
or
Tamsin fights to save her adopted people.
or
Tamsin fucks a monster to save her adopted people.

I could drop "adopted" out of the last one if it's too long.

Was my short description so unappealing that people recoiled from their mouse button when they saw it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back