What Made You Smile/Laugh Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the kids to a festival today that had a street artist gallery... they spent 3 hours helping one of the artists do a huge mural on one of the bridge pillars. :D

Nope. I just hung back and watched the whole thing unfold. :)
I have known *so* many kids through both my personal life and my decade-plus of teaching that would have loved to have a mother like you. I hope your kids have some bit of realization how lucky they are.

Happy Mother's Day, CM (and all the other mothers out there)!

House-hunting online.

Just so happens that I am going to do my MA at the uni, 3 hours' drive away from here, where my boyf teaches (totally different department, I hasten to add), so we'll live together there for a year. Wahey! No more long-distance relationship (well not during those 12 months anyway).

Being in a fancy-ass restaurant today and being brought coffee and petits fours at the end of the meal which I SWEAR were announced as being "cassis and tuna ganache". :eek: I got the giggles rather badly.

House-hunting online.

Just so happens that I am going to do my MA at the uni, 3 hours' drive away from here, where my boyf teaches (totally different department, I hasten to add), so we'll live together there for a year. Wahey! No more long-distance relationship (well not during those 12 months anyway).

Woohoo!

Tim Burton's/Johnny Depp's "Dark Shadows." It's never going to be a classic (unless maybe a cult classic a la "Rocky Horror"), but it was amusing and entertaining. :D

Not technically today, as I came across this some weeks ago, but I was cleaning out my desktop and came across this bit of grammatical geekery. This is an actual sentence, spoken by a politician from the state of Mississippi:

Mississippi-sentence_diagrammed.jpg

Not technically today, as I came across this some weeks ago, but I was cleaning out my desktop and came across this bit of grammatical geekery. This is an actual sentence, spoken by a politician from the state of Mississippi:

Mississippi-sentence_diagrammed.jpg
Oh, Lord... you remind me of the sentence another grammar-geek college friend and I ran into in the course of an assigned reading in a shared 18th century literature class. Since we also shared a grammar and usage class that dealt with diagramming sentences, we decided to go diagram this abortion on the chalkboards before class.

It started on the left side chalkboard, went all the way across the board at the front of the room, all the way across the board on the right, and about three-quarters of the way across the back board. When the prof came in and saw it, he located the beginning and carefully followed it across the four boards and around the room, making only one correction... which he then admitted he didn't have to make; it was an alternative form. Needless to say, both my friend and I passed that class with flying colors! :D

I don't know if I could diagram much more than a relatively simple sentence any more. I'm old and senile, and skills unused often become skills lost. <sigh>

Oh, Lord... you remind me of the sentence another grammar-geek college friend and I ran into in the course of an assigned reading in a shared 18th century literature class. Since we also shared a grammar and usage class that dealt with diagramming sentences, we decided to go diagram this abortion on the chalkboards before class.

It started on the left side chalkboard, went all the way across the board at the front of the room, all the way across the board on the right, and about three-quarters of the way across the back board. When the prof came in and saw it, he located the beginning and carefully followed it across the four boards and around the room, making only one correction... which he then admitted he didn't have to make; it was an alternative form. Needless to say, both my friend and I passed that class with flying colors! :D

I don't know if I could diagram much more than a relatively simple sentence any more. I'm old and senile, and skills unused often become skills lost. <sigh>

Wow, I've never come across that before. Looks like a combination of an electrical circuit or some kind of logic thing. How does it work?! (or is it too complicated to explain here?)

40 years old and I still can't diagram sentences. I never understood it in elementary school, and by the time the system realized I was "smart" enough to take higher level English classes, everyone else already knew how so they weren't teaching it anymore. :(

Wow, I've never come across that before. Looks like a combination of an electrical circuit or some kind of logic thing. How does it work?! (or is it too complicated to explain here?)
It is indeed a "logic thing," displaying the logic and structure of a sentence. Each part of a sentence - subject, verb, object(s) (both direct and indirect), modifiers (adjectives, adverbs, various modifying phrases/clauses), etc. - has a position relative to the others, and a sentence diagram simply illustrates how those parts fit together.

For example, the diagram Yank posted works out to this sentence:

"What we have not done is to pass bill after bill after bill that was obviously unconstitutional just so we could all get on record one more time as casting another vote realizing that what was going to happen was someone would file suit the next day and the legislation would never take effect."​

This webpage offers some pretty easy to follow information on how to actually diagram sentences, starting with basic two-word sentences and building up to more complex (and compound :rolleyes: ) sentences.

ETA: I just realized that the "that" in the lower right quadrant of the diagram is misplaced! It should be placed over the words "was going to happen," and a "that" in parentheses (indication it's implied) should be over "would file." Shame on the original diagrammer! :p

Last edited:
It is indeed a "logic thing," displaying the logic and structure of a sentence. Each part of a sentence - subject, verb, object(s) (both direct and indirect), modifiers (adjectives, adverbs, various modifying phrases/clauses), etc. - has a position relative to the others, and a sentence diagram simply illustrates how those parts fit together.

"What we have not done is to pass bill after bill after bill that was obviously unconstitutional just so we could all get on record one more time as casting another vote realizing that what was going to happen was someone would file suit the next day and the legislation would never take effect."​

This webpage offers some pretty easy to follow information on how to actually diagram sentences, starting with basic two-word sentences and building up to more complex (and compound :rolleyes: ) sentences.

ETA: I just realized that the "that" in the lower right quadrant of the diagram is misplaced! It should be placed over the words "was going to happen," and a "that" in parentheses (indication it's implied) should be over "would file." Shame on the original diagrammer! :p

Wish you'd taught my sixth grade English class.

Don't Fix It If It Ain't Broke

Tim Burton's/Johnny Depp's "Dark Shadows." It's never going to be a classic (unless maybe a cult classic a la "Rocky Horror"), but it was amusing and entertaining. :D

Why oh why do they keep trying to one-up the far superior originals like this tv show and many others? Most times they miserably fail. Go figure

You lost me at logic :rolleyes:

Another adult costume sold. I've made more than 3/4 of what I did last year and it's only May!

Also finished some 'every day' cinchers.

I have a huge smile, and starting to feel confident enough to not worry about the 'what if's'

Another adult costume sold. I've made more than 3/4 of what I did last year and it's only May!

Also finished some 'every day' cinchers.

I have a huge smile, and starting to feel confident enough to not worry about the 'what if's'

Atta girl, wenchie!!! *does fist-bump and starburst*
:rose:

Maybe some of that positive attitude will rub off on me!

Pup made feeling better tail waggin progress all day! Lots of snoozing and lots of water drinking and he just seems more himself this eve which of course meant/means lots of whaddagoodboys and belly rubs. :)

I am so grateful.

Pup made feeling better tail waggin progress all day! Lots of snoozing and lots of water drinking and he just seems more himself this eve which of course meant/means lots of whaddagoodboys and belly rubs. :)

I am so grateful.

RUFF!

*positive dog noise*

Dogs are just so fucking wonderful. Perfect creatures. I'm so happy it's going well. Tell 'im I wanna buy him a bowl of water.

I am so grateful.

I am so glad that he is feeling better. It's so hard when animals are sick because they cannot tell you exactly what is wrong. Hope he's up and running around annoying you soon :)

My smile is a lovely pressie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back