The Beautiful Game - Closed for DeathsKnight

"It was a fun day, thank you for sharing it with me.
I hope you sleep well and we will see you at the game yes?"


Lisa was glad that for some illogical reason she had shared that most personal of interests with him.

"Thank you for turning up ... I had a great time too ... yes, I'll be at the Saturday game, but I might be late. I have to oversee the contractors setting up the billboards at your stadium."

They had an away game, that necessitated a bit of a journey. It meant that she could get her people to arrive at the stadium from midday so that Ivan's team would have left before the work took place.

"Do you still want me to speak with your team? I think we suggested Monday originally, though if you're on site on Sunday, you'll have to do the explanations."

They would see the advertising boards and logos which would raise questions.

" ... perhaps it's best for you to share the news with them ... I can come for a quick Q & A session if they have any concerns ... "

She suggested.
 
"We will not be at the grounds Sunday, we only have the team jog and then they usually turn to their family and private affairs. It will be perfect if you come Monday for practice, that will give them the answers they need as well as time to raise their questions."

He paused,

"It is a date then, I shall look for you Saturday. Thank you for the information, I have a little gift I am working on for Lisa. I hope you have a good evening."

After he hung up the phone, he continued with the plaque he had in mind, he carved the wood so that her name and the intricate flowery design he had in mind stood out from the wood, it was early morning when he headed to bed, he could sand and polish the wood later.

Later the day found him quite a busy man, not only did he finish Lisa's plaque, his order of wood arrived and he had to sort it out. By the time he was done it was time for training, when he joined the group for warm-up and fitness, nobody seemed surprise, but what did take them by surprise was when he joined in the match preperation. They rarely saw him on the pitch and today he only played the role he chose, doing the basics and not pressing anything. After a few runs he ran the match plan through with everybody, of course there was room for error, but he knew that they could change on the fly. It was late when they were done and after a shower and meal, he went straight to bed.
 
"We will not be at the grounds Sunday, we only have the team jog and then they usually turn to their family and private affairs. It will be perfect if you come Monday for practice, that will give them the answers they need as well as time to raise their questions."

It sounded like the timing was perfect.

"It is a date then, I shall look for you Saturday. Thank you for the information, I have a little gift I am working on for Lisa. I hope you have a good evening."

She wondered what the gift could be, but knew that he would have told her if he'd wanted her to know and respected the fact that he obviously wanted it to be a surprise... Instead she wished him the same and hung up reflecting that the remaining pizza and perhaps another glass of wine was hardly going to be an amazing schedule. But she ensured that she wasn't in bed late for the next day she spent largely at work in her office. From early morning to late evening Lisa worked through catching up on her 'day job'. Even lunch was delivered to her desk to ensure that not a moment went to waste.

Finally at 8 o'clock she left the office and headed to a local bistro having decided to eat out so that she could at least claim to have eaten one decent meal in the past 48 hours. It also forced her to unwind as she ate a solitary, but leisurely meal, aware, but unperturbed by the attention a single female in 'office wear' seemed to attract, whilst a single man dining out drew no notice at all.

She was in bed for 11 pm and allowed herself to sleep late, getting up only at 9 pm. A shower, the donning of a smart/casual outfit consisting of a trouser suit with a warm jumper beneath the jacket and black books would be appropriate attire for her supervision of the work to be started at Ivan's stadium, but also not too formal so that she could don her coat and blend in at the match.

As arranged, the work teams arrived promptly and being the 'control freak' she was often accused of Lisa oversaw the setting up of advertising hoardings, the upgrading of the Director's box and even improvements made to the home and away bench and coffee bar. She smiled hoping that Ivan would approve. She had not been able to factor in an upgrade for the player's changing rooms, but she hoped that the use of the gymn would more than compensate for that. Her final act was to approve the new kit and ensure that she was happy with the logos. She dealt with a company with whom she had a long standing business relationship and as predicted everything was as it should be and met her exactly standards. By the time she had finished it was already gone 14:30 leaving her very little time to travel the distance to game before it started.

She was in a such a rush that she didn't recognise the man she bumped into at first.

"What's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?"

She was ready to bristle at the question, until she recognised the identity of the speaker ...

"Mike! I didn't know you would be over here. Don't you usually stick to home games?"

She entered the ground with him, noticing that the game had started and relieved that there has been no goals as yet.

"Thought it might be worth taking a look at Green Dale."

Mike told her, pausing before continuing.

"A little bird tells me that I'm not the only person taking an interest in that club... "

He prompted.

"Though just how active an interest ...?"

Lisa shook her head unwilling to be drawn.

"I'm not here to talk business, Mike ... "

Came her smooth, but firm dismissal as they made their way towards the 'guest' seating behind the away bench. Mike had no option but to accept this and did so with good grace, the two settling down companionably to watch the match ...
 
As usual Ivan's attention was riveted to the game, his mind clicking over, checking for weaknesses and strengths. He changed the midfield order and soon the home team found themselves harassed, Ivan smiled, as usual teamwork was the answer and the result to the answer came two minutes before half time, a sneaky back-heel pass to Dan who slotted in a low kick. Half time broke and Ivan headed to the dressing room, he did glance around quickly, but he was unable to spot Lisa. He felt a bit disappointed by that, but he had more pressing matters, like a match to win.

"So..."

Silence ensued as attention was diverted to him,

"Thoughts?"

A low murmer followed and then Dan piped up,

"They seem to struggle with cross kicks, we could perhaps run a few in and see if they adjust?"

Ivan nodded and listened to more suggestions, he made up his mind then,

"They will expect us to attack them now, we are one goal up, so throw an attack at them, defenders stay awake though, they have a wicked counter-attack. When we know what they have planned and use that to strike back at them."

Concent spread through their ranks and shortly afterwards they joined the home team as they jogged on to the field
 
Lisa was jubilant when Green Dale scored, an enthusiasm which was not lost on her companion. Seated in the more 'select' section that she would have had she been on her own, Lisa found it impossible to catch Ivan's eye, but then again she understood that when a game was in progress it was that which was his sole fixation.

Half time came and she went with Mike to partake of the tea and biscuits provided for invited guests. She spent most of that 15 minutes being introduced to other 'officials' and was privy to some less than positive about Ivan, or at least about a Russian coming in and 'thinking he knows our game'. She would have taken issue with them, but Mike strategically steered her away and thankfully left promptly so that she was in her seat when the players came back onto the field for the second half.

"It's very easy to be prejudiced without taking the time to actually get to know the person you're maligning ... "

She commented as she watched Ivan take his seat once more.

"And is that what you're doing, Lisa? Getting to know our Mr Thovenski?"

Mike queried...
 
With a few minutes of play gone, Green Dale surged up the middle, Dan got blocked from the ball and the counter attack came fast and hard from left to right with a secure cross into the middle. The strike was clean and for a second Ivan froze, but Dean got fingertips to the ball, pushing it away. The ball struck the crossbar, rebounded into the field, another strike robbed and just like that the ball raced up the pitch. This was not planned, mostly oppurtunistic and it actually bore fruit, Dan was on the end of the long pass, defenders rushed him, but he calmly slipped it passed them and into the way of his forward partner Alec Steward. Alec struck the ball hard and clean, perfect form and contact.

When the ball slapped into the back of the net Ivan did a fist-pump, two zero, half an hour to play and he was certain that they could make the third goal. But two subs came from the home bench, both defenders and Ivan knew that now they had work to do. His team slipped into the normal 2-4-4 formation, it kept them balanced, but lacking any real attack. Every attack got neutralized and kicked up field, long range strikes rained in towards their goal, but Dean was fabulous. Then in the last two minutes of extra time, Ivan gave the signal, the ball moved forward and in that instant the formation changed to 5-1-4, the sudden amount of attackers caught the defense off-guard and with seconds to spare a short cross kick met Dan's head and slipped passed the goalie.

The Green Dale supporters went crazy, another big score, another great win and on the pitch the players kept their cool, they shook hands with the Home team and jogged off the field as soon as they could. Their joy became only apparant in the chants of Green Dale coming from behind the locker room door. Ivan had not joined them, he had opened his ledger with his scouting material and started writing in it as he sat on the bench, waiting for the euphoria of the players to wear off slightly.
 
Watching Green Dale's play with Mike alongside became a more uncomfortable experience than she could have imagined. She didn't let him put her off the game, but she was aware that his focus was upon her perhaps more so than upon the field.

It was by no means a walk over, but Lisa could see the changes in formation, deduce what the intentions were and was as thrilled as all the other supporters when the final attack was unleashed in the dying minutes and the was caught up in the euphoria when that final goal went in. She studiously ignored Mike's concerned looks, focusing instead upon the calm and sporting way with which Ivan's team conducted themselves upon the field of play. She knew they would be triumphant, but she knew that Ivan had clear expectations of how his team were to behave in victory as well as defeat.

Mike began to steer her back to the club house to partake of the post match drinks and refreshments, but she declined politely.

"I'll give it a miss, Mike if you don't mind. I have some things to tie up and a busy day tomorrow ... "

She told him by way of excuse, one she did not have to elaborate on as Mike found himself drawn into conversation with no option but to make his way inside. Turning back to the pitch, Lisa could see Ivan still seated. Much like when she had first sat beside him he was focused upon taking notes, or drawing plans, or whatever it was that he did to prepare for and also it seemed, to analyse games played. From her vantage point she could watch him, and, despite Mike's disapproval found much to admire in him. Ungrounded prejudice annoyed her, but it seemed that principles of diversity did not seem to extend to Russian managers ... though perhaps that was an issue that should be raised ... at a higher level ... she mused.
 
He finished his notes and got up, the thunderous chanting had given way to a song that had the tone of "Sweet Chariot", but the words had been changed, it went more or less like this:
Well, now I looked over the pitch and what did I see
Comin' towards me to score a goal
There was a band of players a comin' to me
Comin' for to score a goal

Slide low, slide sweet
Take the ball from their feet
Slide low, slide sweet
Take the ball from their feet

Well, now if you get there before I do
Strike and send the ball home
Tell all of my friends that I'm a comin' too
Comin' to score a goal

Shoot low, shoot straight
Send that ball home
Shoot high, swing sweet
Kick the goalie from his feet

Well, sometimes we're up and sometimes we're down
Green Dale remains me home
But I know we are league bound
And there for it is my home"

He listened to the mixture of voices and noticed Lisa as she watched him, he waved at her and made his way over to where she stood,

"Well you made it, I hope you didn't miss too much of the match?"
 
Lisa smiled as she watched him singing away to himself, obviously oblivious to anyone around him. And then he lifted his head and turned to look directly at her. He had caught her watching him, but judging by his friendly wave, that fact did not seem to concern him. She watched as he stood and was surprised when he turned in her direction clearly intending to come over to talk to her.

"Well you made it, I hope you didn't miss too much of the match?"

She nodded.

"Yes, not that much ... no more than the first 10 minutes."

She told him.

"Everything went well back at Green Dale Stadium."

She told him.

"I do hope you approve of the work we carried out ... "

She added, then glanced towards the changing rooms.

"You'll be wanting to celebrate. That was quite a match, Ivan."

She approved. She had enjoyed it, despite Mike's presence, but then Ivan didn't need to know about that ...
 
Last edited:
He glanced at his watch,

"Well if a certain lady of the present company doesn't habe much else to do, I would like to offer her a drink to celebrate with me. Celebrations ins best done in company you enjoy."

He tucked the file under his arm,

"That is if one will not be intruding of course."

And for the first time since they have met, Ivan realized that he would like to see how Lisa looked in his old jersey and nothing else, perhaps even sipping on some coffee...he was so lost in the very sudden and unexpected day-dream slash image that he actually missed her reply. He smiled sheepishly,

"Sorry, I was admiring your clothes, I missed that."
 
She saw him look at his watch and was more than prepared to head off so that he did not feel that he had to be polite instead of joining his team.

"Well if a certain lady of the present company doesn't habe much else to do, I would like to offer her a drink to celebrate with me. Celebrations ins best done in company you enjoy."

The offer actually surprised her. Surely it wasn't Lisa he should be celebrating with?

"That is if one will not be intruding of course."

She laughed.

"There's nothing to intrude upon Ivan."

She told him.

"But you have your ... rituals ... I'm sure your team would prefer to have your undivided attention."

For long moments he looked at her blankly.

"Sorry, I was admiring your clothes, I missed that."

His comment made her burst out with laughter.

"What was I just saying about your attention?"

She asked him playfully, letting the comment about her clothes pass.

"I would love to go for a drink with you Ivan, but surely you have plans with your team? I would not want to distract you from what I know you love to do."

She told him genuinely.
 
He smiled again at her remark about his attention,

"Ten minutes, most of the euphoria has passed by now, I will have a chat and then we go for a drink yes? They are big enough to look after themselves, also I doubt they will celebrate too much. Travelling takes it's toll..."

He leaned closer, looking into her eyes at a closer range than usual,

"And I would love to habe that drink or two with you, so I can do two things I love, celebrate a win and have good company doing so."
 
"Ten minutes, most of the euphoria has passed by now, I will have a chat and then we go for a drink yes? They are big enough to look after themselves, also I doubt they will celebrate too much. Travelling takes it's toll..."

Of course, this was an away game. She had almost forgotten that fact just by standing talking to him.

"And I would love to habe that drink or two with you, so I can do two things I love, celebrate a win and have good company doing so."

His words, his gaze; both seemed more intent that she had ever known him to be before. The prospect of spending more time with Ivan was definitely a welcome prospect.

"... I'm always ready for a celebration."

She told him with a smile.

"Take all the time you need, no rush ... "

She told him prepared to wait for as long as it took.
 
"Thank you."

He went to the locker room and entered, as soon as he closed the door more cheering started, hands clapped, whistling and shouts eminated from the team. Ivan raised a hand for silence,

"Marc, give thanks."

Heads bowed and a brief prayer of thanks were offered, Ivan then took a seat and flipped open his ledger,

"You played well today, though I feel that I must point out..."

Twelve minutes later the team exited, Ivan last, making sure the room was clean and the laundry all in the basket. He went over to where he had left Lisa,

"We have decided to start the celebration on home turf, would you mind meeting us at Joe's?"
 
Lisa watched Ivan head towards the locker rooms and wondered just exactly what format a team talk after such a victory would take. She had to admire Ivan's devotion to his team. He was so single minded that surely success would be bound to come his way and with the use of the gym she was certain that would be sooner rather than later.

It was quicker than expected when Ivan emerged and headed in her direction.

"We have decided to start the celebration on home turf, would you mind meeting us at Joe's?"

She smiled; it seemed their 'celebration drink' would be in the company of the others of the team, though she had no objection to that at all.

"Joe's sure. It's not that far from where I live so I will probably drive home and then make my way over without the car."

She told him.

"What time are you aiming to be there for?"
 
He glanced at his watch,

"An hour maximum to drive back, an hour to shower and get dressed...let's make it eight o'clock that should give us both a good chance to get there in time."

He paused, then leaned in and wrapped his arms around her, giving her a tight, warm hug,

"We have won!"

His arms released her, but his hands did not, they rested on her cheeks and he looked down into her eyes, how he wished that he could kiss her. But not yet,

"And next week we celebrate in style."

He gave her a grin,

"Poshe Lisa, see you later."

His hands slipped from her face as he turned and walked away
 
"An hour maximum to drive back, an hour to shower and get dressed...let's make it eight o'clock that should give us both a good chance to get there in time."

She nodded.

"... eight o'clock then ... "

She agreed, then gasped in surprise as his arms went around her enveloping her literally in a bear hug.

"We have won!"

She laughed at his elation savouring the brief sensation of his strong arms around her.

"And next week we celebrate in style."

His hands were still on her cheeks, his gaze intent, his mouth upturned into one of his rare smiles.

"Poshe Lisa, see you later."

He released her and turned to walk away leaving her to stand and watch his retreating back, watching as the other players joined him and as they walked en-masse out of the stadium.

"So ... that's how it is ... "

Lisa turned guiltily to see Mike stood behind her, his glance went to the gate then back to her, his expression making it clear that he had seen her and Ivan together.

"I have no idea what you mean... "

She replied smoothly, resolutely refusing to be drawn to defend herself.

"I'm sure I'll be seeing you around, Mike..."

She told him turning to go.

"Lisa ... "

His tone was one of warning.

Despite her intention of walking away, she turned back.

"Just ... be careful ... a man might have all the qualities to be a business associate ... but that doesn't mean that he'd be suitable ... romantically ... "

She would have told him not to interfere if Mike had not looked so uncomfortable about the advice he was giving her.

"I know what I'm doing."

Was her short reassurance before turning and finally leaving the stadium.
By the time she got to her car there was no sign of the Green Dale team.
 
It took Ivan and the Green Dale FC players and fans less than an hour to drive back, Ivan went through his regular motions, dropped off the members who had driven with him, had a good warm shower with a refreshing blast of icy cold water after that. A Shot of his special vodka, fresh clothing and collecting the players who didn't have cars and still wanted to go for a drink or two. It was a quarter to eight when they arrived, a glance proved that Lisa had not yet shown up, he took a seat close to the entrance as the players and fans started their celebration, Ivan chatted with fans who came over as he kept an eye on the door.

Then Lisa appeared, the walk had given her a slight blush under the clothes she wore against the evening chill, he got to his feet and walked over to her, without a word he motioned to the table he had just left and he walked back with her, offering her a chair before taking a seat himself, in the background the Green Dale anthem was sung. He smiled at her over the ruckus, then leaned closer,

"I do hope you drink proper drinks and not those mixed things aimed to make you feel a buzz after twelve bottles."
 
She wore black jeans and a pink blouse topped with a cerise sweater. Ankle boots and a black jacket completed her practical wardrobe. She elected to walk as she had told Ivan she would. She did not live that far away and could always take a taxi later if she was too lazy to walk home. A small black bag over her shoulder and she was ready to set out.

The place was crowded by the time she got there, but it was only just 8 o'clock. No sooner had she entered, but Ivan came to greet her and invite her over the the table where he was seated. Around her there was much singing and celebration and she was more than happy to be in their midst.

"I do hope you drink proper drinks and not those mixed things aimed to make you feel a buzz after twelve bottles."

She laughed.

"It depends what you mean by 'proper' drinks ... "

She replied.

"What's the poison of the evening...?"

She looked round to see what everyone was drinking.
 
Ivan switched to his best cockney accent, which mixed with his Russian accent made it even more hilarious,

"A pint o' bitter luv, it goes down gud yes."

He chuckled and shook his head,

"My poison is the stuff we Russians are well-known for, but Vodka is an acquired taste, so I will not suggest it."

He had taken time to look over her clothing and as usual Lisa looked not only fabulous, she looked comfortable in her selection of clothing. Ivan found that the more time he spent with her, the more he became attracted to her, sure she was a beautiful woman, but he had his experience with the pretty ones, it was the person inside that counted and that was the thing that was attracting him to her, the fact that she could have been a model didn't hurt either.
 
"A pint o' bitter luv, it goes down gud yes."

Lisa laughed finding his 'accent' hilarious.

"Bitter isn't my tipple."

She told him, her expression making that obvious.

"My poison is the stuff we Russians are well-known for, but Vodka is an acquired taste, so I will not suggest it."

Vodka she found she could drink. It was what vodka did to her system that wasn't pretty. Nothing it seemed went to her head quicker!

"I think I'll stick to lager,"

She decided.

"Not pretentious, not too lethal ... "

She concluded with a laugh looking round at the others and noticing the undisguised interest, even surprise some of the players were showing in the fact that she had turned up there.

"Are you sure I'm not ruining your reputation here?"

She asked only half joking.

"I don't want to get in the way of essential 'team bonding'."
 
He leaned back in his chair and made a point of looking over at his team, he raised an eyebrow then looked back at her,

"Just how much more do you think I can bond with them? By the way there is tomorrow's jog to get more bonding done."

He rested on his elbows,

"And I think a pretty woman at my table actually rises my stakes, since they are yet to see me around one. Excuse me."

He left and got their order, placing her Lager down in front of her, two shots of Vodka down at his seat, then he sat down, lifting one of the glasses,

"Well a toast then, to you, your love of the game, the game and a match well won."

With his toast done he downed his shot and tapped it down,

"Yup it hits the spot."
 
"Just how much more do you think I can bond with them? By the way there is tomorrow's jog to get more bonding done."

She followed his glance and laughed.

"Well as I said from the beginning, it's not for me to comment upon your .... strategy ... "

She gave him the most suggestive look she could and giggled.

"And I think a pretty woman at my table actually rises my stakes, since they are yet to see me around one. Excuse me."

She watched him head off to the bar and glanced around smiling and saying hello to the players that new her well enough to greet her and met the curious glances of the others who recognised her, or perhaps didn't from the training session she had attended.

She looked up as Ivan returned carrying drinks, thanking him as he put the lager in front of her.

"Well a toast then, to you, your love of the game, the game and a match well won."

She raised her glass and sipped at it, watching in admiration as he downed the shot in one practiced motion.

"Yup it hits the spot."

She laughed.

"You're so ... Russian ... "

She observed playfully, making it clear this was far from a negative thing.

" ... to winning ... "

She echoed belatedly.

"... and the love of football ... "
 
He raised the second glass,

"To being humble in victory."

He gave a slight smile and downed the second shot as well, tapping it down,

"Ah they still need to gain the proper drink, these are so watered down. Being Russian does have it's advantages in drinking games."

He chuckled and leaned forward, elbows on the table,

"So Lisa, have you always been a proper lady or did you at times in the past let down your hair and played a few drinking games, danced on the bar and ran down the street singing a crazy song?"

He gave half a smile,

"I did."
 
"To being humble in victory."

She laughed as he raised the second glass and then downed it easily.

"Ah they still need to gain the proper drink, these are so watered down. Being Russian does have it's advantages in drinking games."

She could only imagine what strength the Russian version was and had to be grateful that she would never sample such levels of alcohol!

"So Lisa..,"

She met his eye as he leaned forward, his full attention on her as he asked

" ... have you always been a proper lady or did you at times in the past let down your hair and played a few drinking games, danced on the bar and ran down the street singing a crazy song? ... I did."

She laughed and considered her answer.

"I think I told you I was more of a tomboy... I'm not sure I'm so 'proper' now really ... though I like to appear so ... "

She sipped her lager and then continued.

"I've never been into drinking games ... but dancing and singing ... ? ... alcohol induced...?"

She chuckled.

"It has been known ... "

She remembered one particular time ... or rather she didn't ... she blushed at the memory ... vodka had been involved ...
 
Back
Top