The Official Author's Hangout 2014 Valentine's Day Contest Support Thread

I've never looked closely at the update schedule for the public submissions lists. ( where I gather score )

Casual observation in the process of doing other things leads me to believe that they take a long time to update, though. That makes sense from a back-end standpoint because there are so many pages that have to be updated ( at least ) daily.

That could easily create stragglers that update long after others.

Don't believe it for a moment that the individual scores are being readjusted at great interval after the sweeps. The sweeps must arrive at one rating for all at the same moment--and then the system would take over in showing those changes. It would take time but they'd all adjust at the same time.

My entrée had updated to what it is now by 1 p.m. this afternoon (and the ratings of several others of mine went up by then too). The one I was watching was at 4.66 all day until I mentioned something here, and between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m., despite it having hundreds of votes, it went up to 4.76.

And up until the sweeps, it was listing for way above the 4.66 (having jumped out with a high score and over 200 votes mere hours after being posted in the middle of the night in the States). So, I tag this one as one that the sweeps took down rather than the customary up. Which would mean the swept votes were at the upper scale.

I think someone is just trying much too hard to demonstrate approval and acceptance on small life issues that isn't really there.
 
Not the scores - just the scores we can see.

There's no reason to override the normal update schedule of the public pages just because there's a contest announcement. It would probably be an incredible pain in the ass, in fact.

Then there's the cache curtain the majority of the site appears to be behind. God only knows what that does to what we can see of anyone else's stats. Stuff that actually is updated may not be reflected in what you can see in your locality because you're still seeing the previously cached version until the next time that refreshes.

I just wouldn't throw too many chips in the pile based upon public data updating.

Don't believe it for a moment that the individual scores are being readjusted at great interval after the sweeps. The sweeps must arrive at one rating for all at the same moment--and then the system would take over in showing those changes. It would take time but they'd all adjust at the same time.
 
Last edited:
Does this thread die a death now?

In case it does, I just would like to say thank you for the stories and well done to everyone.

Tx
 
Does this thread die a death now?

In case it does, I just would like to say thank you for the stories and well done to everyone.

Tx

It goes to the basement for a while to play with the other old contest threads and then it goes to the old thread retirement home in south Florida. ;)
 
South Florida? Oh yes, your equivalent of Bognor Regis. Except one hell of a lot drier and hotter. A bit like the Costa del Sol, in fact.
 
god the second place finisher in the LITEROTICA section of the contest is almost as bad as the 1st place "favoritor"....:rolleyes:

Just joined the site....

Admits to being an ALT of one of the old AHers... I wonder which of her lapdogs the QUEEN was paying off here?

And look at the scores on all its other stories:​

Impulse Control (4.43)
Impulse Control Ch. 02 (4.43)
Impulse Control Ch. 03 (4.61)
Impulse Control Ch. 04 (4.64)
Impulse Control Ch. 05 (4.46)
Impulse Control Ch. 06 (4.54)
Impulse Control Ch. 07 (4.70)
Impulse Control Ch. 08 (4.78)
Impulse Control Ch. 09 (4.72)
Impulse Control Ch. 10 (4.76)
Impulse Control Ch. 11 (4.48)
Impulse Control Ch. 12 (4.77)
Rehab (4.58)

The Perfect Man (4.86)

What Came Next (4.11)
What Came Next Ch. 02 (4.29)
What Came Next Ch. 03 (4.34)
What Came Next Ch. 04 (4.50)
 
readers choice winners announced!

A.I.R. VALENTINE’S DAY CONTEST 2014

On behalf of all of us associated with the ASSOCIATION of INDEPENDENT READERS I'd like to offer congrats to the OFFICIAL LITEROTICA winners (except for the cheaters).

I’d also like to post the VALENTINE’S DAY CONTEST winners as picked by the ASSOCIATION of INDEPENDENT READERS. These selections are not official LITEROTICA winners. Instead they were designed to reward stories that were the true #1 choices of our readers. Least read stories don’t make it over here!

We also like to take a second and ask all of you to remember the brilliant BOSTONFICTIONWRITER who was murdered over two years ago. RIP big guy.

[size=+2]ASSOCIATION of INDEPENDENT READERS (A.I.R.)[/size]

2014 Valentines Day Contest Winners

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg


A.I.R. 2014 Valentine’s Day Story Contest
BEST STORY IN THE CONTEST


It’s In The Wrong Category by qhml1


A.I.R. 2014 Valentine’s Day Story Contest
MOST VIEWS RECEIVED WINNER


Mom’s Tan Lines by blaster666


A.I.R. 2014 Valentine’s Day Story Contest
MOST COMMENTS RECEIVED WINNER


Quinn and Kimberly Harris by Matt Moreau


A.I.R. 2014 Valentine’s Day Story Contest
MOST VOTES RECEIVED WINNER


Sibling Bonding Time by Xarth


A.I.R. 2014 Valentine’s Day Story Contest
HIGHEST RATED STORY WINNER


Company Policy by Red Jakal



Thank you boxy for sparing our readers the tiresome and odious pauletta.

Certain stories were disqualified for category problems, failure to follow the theme, or other major infractions. Various authors who broke the one contest-one story rule had their entries thrown out (except for top 25 “most favorite”).

All Non-Erotic stories were disqualified as well as the twenty-two stories identified by our association computers as ALT authored stories. All SURVIVOR CONTEST stories were also disqualified.

Congratulations to our winners – well done!​

*Under the ASSOCIATIONS rules a story/author can only win one prize in any contest.
** Minimum numbers of votes are required to qualify in the various categories
 
Awww, not even an honourable mention from Scouries. Gutted.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry about it. He probably forgot with all the fake contests, fake awards and fake lists he has to deal with. It would have probably been a fake honorable mention in any case. :D
 
I don't think an author saying in his bio "This is my super secret alter ego" means its an alt.

I would take it to mean that the "pen name" is the alter ego of the r/l person.

Its dawned on me that scouries and Pilot have something in common.

Both of them seem to think any author with good scores must be cheating.
 
I don't think an author saying in his bio "This is my super secret alter ego" means its an alt.

I would take it to mean that the "pen name" is the alter ego of the r/l person.

Its dawned on me that scouries and Pilot have something in common.

Both of them seem to think any author with good scores must be cheating.

Souries has no reading comprehension.

Pilot is, well, Pilot.
 
Absolutely loved Playing Power Games, glad you survived the near death experience with your tomato soup ;)

Thanks, I had a lot of fun writing it.

Have decided after a few requests to do another chapter. Unfortunately, my characters are currently misbehaving: Lindsay is feeling rather cock-hungry, Gavin's become partial to eating her out and Adam's contemplating taking Lindsay by surprise and trying to take control. I have a feeling he's in for a bit of a shock.
I'm supposed to be writing romance, but this is so much more fun. :D

Well done on your entry.

Tx
 
Here's the final track:

http://darkniciad.com/hotlink_pics/Valentines_Day_2014_e.htm

Final average score 4.41 with a median of 4.51.

Average # of swept votes 25 with a median of 22 and a total of 1719.

Keep in mind that these are "observed" swept votes. What that means is that if the vote total is lower than the day before, it's counted as a swept vote. Votes can be swept and replaced by new votes, becoming invisible to this means of tracking.

Anyone who was watching their stats will undoubtedly have noticed more swept votes than are recorded here.

You can see just how much of an effect the sweeps had when you look at the average and median scores on the first day I tracked vs. today.

4.12 => 4.41 +.29

4.28 => 4.51 +.23

The top 9 stories are all in different categories with no repeats. That's quite a change from years gone past where a handful of categories tended to dominate each and every contest.

Have fun with the stats :) Just don't expect it to happen very often. I got a wild hair this contest and decided to do it. Something that takes anywhere from an hour to two every night really sucks away what little time I have.
 
Last edited:
Great work with the stats, Dark, and very informative. I'm a number junkie too so I appreciate the hard work you put into compiling them for us.
 
I'm just glad I saw my score right before the winners were announced. I would not believe that it was high enough to win. I wish I had taken a screenshot. It's dropped .09 since then. ;)
 
Great work with the stats, Dark, and very informative. I'm a number junkie too so I appreciate the hard work you put into compiling them for us.

I'm not much of a numbers girl, but I appreciate the time spent. Thanks.
 
More likely is infighting on the toplists

Oh brother. :rolleyes: It's like a friggin' soap opera around here.

While they were protecting their top list spots, I was spending $150 on sex toys. :eek: Gotta be a plot bunny in there, right?

When I disappear on or about Feb. 18, you'll know why. ;)
 
Oh brother. :rolleyes: It's like a friggin' soap opera around here.

While they were protecting their top list spots, I was spending $150 on sex toys. :eek: Gotta be a plot bunny in there, right?

When I disappear on or about Feb. 18, you'll know why. ;)

Highly recommend the WeVibe and it runs for about 150, in the event you haven't decided on what to get. ;)
 
Oh brother. :rolleyes: It's like a friggin' soap opera around here.

While they were protecting their top list spots, I was spending $150 on sex toys. :eek: Gotta be a plot bunny in there, right?

When I disappear on or about Feb. 18, you'll know why. ;)

HP and I will bring the cameras to record this historical event. :D

I started a series of stories about a lady who had never owned toys that won a contest. A new toy per month for a year. "Toys are Us" I need to get back and finish that series someday. :rolleyes:
 
I'm just glad I saw my score right before the winners were announced. I would not believe that it was high enough to win. I wish I had taken a screenshot. It's dropped .09 since then. ;)

That's the nice thing about NOT placing. My story has stayed on the same score (though with only 3 new votes added), so no trolling so far. Be interesting to see what happens when ch 2 comes out. It will definitely be a lower score - and I'm guessing not just lower than the artificial contest result but also lower than the more correct presweep score of 4.67. But I'm hoping it'll end up around the 4.5 mark and maybe earn me a few more votes and views on ch 1.

Rigth now I'm trying to kill the Earth Day plot bunny which keeps popping up in my head :)
 
I'm just glad I saw my score right before the winners were announced. I would not believe that it was high enough to win. I wish I had taken a screenshot. It's dropped .09 since then. ;)

My Winter Holidays winner has dropped to the level of my other entry.

One of my winners lost its H long ago. My solitary E has never had an H.

Winning stories become targets for the trolls. They also tend to spread their attentions to the author's other stories. Each time I have won or been placed, several of my stories lose their Hs. Sometimes they get them back; sometimes they stay well below 4.5.
 
Back
Top