Isolated Blurts - The HT Cafe Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I think you're an awesome teacher, but I really hate your class."

Isn't that just about the most back-handed compliment ever?

Maybe. Or they can mean that they dislike the subject. Like, I've had a great math teacher but I HATE math.

Maybe. Or they can mean that they dislike the subject. Like, I've had a great math teacher but I HATE math.
I think that, at this point in the term, they mostly dislike the work involved in the final project.

I teach Gen-Ed and developmental classes, so I've never known what it's like to have students who take my classes because they actually want to. I do get repeat offenders if I'm teaching the next course in a sequence, though, and that's always a little flattering. :)

It could also mean that you're dedicated to what your teaching- but you actually make them do work. So they hate it.

I teach Gen-Ed and developmental classes, so I've never known what it's like to have students who take my classes because they actually want to. I do get repeat offenders if I'm teaching the next course in a sequence, though, and that's always a little flattering. :)

Then I think you've answered your own question, they enjoy you and the way you teach and/or treat them, but really have a dislike for the course material. Like Satin, I've never been good with math, but had an awesome teacher in college who loved the subject so much and enjoyed teaching so much that I very much enjoyed her. And because of her enthusiasm, I actually learned something that had escaped me in the past. Of course, I forgot it as soon as I left the room, but the sentiment is still the same, she was awesome in a subject that sucked!

And for the record, I'm good with "real" math that involves computations with actual numbers, it is when you start tossing arbitrary letters in there that I am immediately lost.:rolleyes:

And for the record, I'm good with "real" math that involves computations with actual numbers, it is when you start tossing arbitrary letters in there that I am immediately lost.:rolleyes:

Letters and numbers should not mix and if they do, why must it be up to me to separate them? :D No wonder I was a history major in college.

Letters and numbers should not mix and if they do, why must it be up to me to separate them? :D No wonder I was a history major in college.

I'm a "don't ask, don't tell" kinda guy. If numbers and letters are getting freaky in the back room, I don't want to know about it! :eek:

I :heart: algebra, too.

My previous blurt wasn't about a math class, though. I've been saying the following all semester:

"Start early."​
"Don't procrastinate."​
"Those due dates are requirements, not suggestions."​
"You must use scholarly sources."​
"If you don't do what's clearly spelled out in the syllabus and on the assignment sheets, 1/3 of you won't pass this class."​

Turns out that very few students took me seriously when I said those things. I'm now at the point in the semester where I wonder if anything I've been saying for the past 13 weeks has sunk in or gotten through to anyone.

I :heart: algebra, too.

My previous blurt wasn't about a math class, though. I've been saying the following all semester:

"Start early."​
"Don't procrastinate."​
"Those due dates are requirements, not suggestions."​
"You must use scholarly sources."​
"If you don't do what's clearly spelled out in the syllabus and on the assignment sheets, 1/3 of you won't pass this class."​

Turns out that very few students took me seriously when I said those things. I'm now at the point in the semester where I wonder if anything I've been saying for the past 13 weeks has sunk in or gotten through to anyone.
If it's any consolation (actually it's fucking terrifying) my wife has gone back to school and the "adults" are still doing all the above, which is such a help when you get to the group exercises. Also the "I'm so glad you asked what that meant, I had no idea." That's silly but understandable in a child, but stupid and quite possibly negligent in an adult.

P.S. On an unrelated note, and to continue to disregard the rules of the isolated blurt thread, I really enjoy Algebra. The word play in the above posts has been fun to read. :)

Rules?!?!?! Etiquette?!?!!? phphphtphtttttt :rolleyes:

;):D
We now return you to your regularly scheduled isolated blurts. :D

Adam Levine is so fucking hot. I am watching a concert of his being replayed on DirecTV and wow....just wow. Amazing. That is all.

P.S. On an unrelated note, and to continue to disregard the rules of the isolated blurt thread, I really enjoy Algebra. The word play in the above posts has been fun to read. :)

Sicko!:eek: There's no place on this board for that sort of crap.

Mutter mutter mumble, bloody deviants.

You see now! Rules are very important in math....

Quoll ~ I am no sicko or deviant...well, maybe just a little. But, still, slightly geeky and witty redheads are a good thing.

No fair playing trumps.

I was reading at tolerance.org and stumbled upon a suggestion that schools not have "nerd days." When I first read this, I wasn't sure what to think about it. Are "nerd days" offensive? Possibly. My school doesn't have them and I filed it away mentally. Then, yesterday while shopping with my oldest (at the wonderful Plato's Closet), she overheard a group of teens running around excitedly and buying things for nerd day at their school.

In the fitting room together, she gives me her look that indicates judgment and she asks me, "did you hear what their school is doing?"

"No, I didn't."

She whispers, "They're having a nerd day for part of their spirit week. The whole school is okay with making fun of nerds! Yeah, like they don't need smart people. That's stupid. I wouldn't do it. "

Well, I love when a child makes me see the light. I really didn't think anything of it, but she's absolutely right. As someone who cares about academics, she identifies as a little bit of a nerd. (As would I, really.) Of course it's offensive...

geek-bully.jpg

Snippet from a radio ad by a local plastic surgeon: "We also offer vaginal rejuvenation."

WTF? Seriously? :eek:

That's a no knife zone, thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back