Who are you envious of?

When the first explorers from the warm lands around the Circle Sea travelled into the chilly hinterland they filled in the blank spaces on their maps by grabbing the nearest native, pointing at some distant landmark, speaking very clearly in a loud voice, and writing down whatever the bemused man told them. Thus were immortalised in generations of atlases such geographical oddities as Just A Mountain, I Don't Know, What? and, of course, Your Finger You Fool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfKr-D5VDBU

My fave is the village of Bad Ass.

And of course, who can forget The Place Where The Sun Does Not Shine.

(and my apologies again, to people who feel I'm ruining this thread by my banter. I'm so sorry.)

Last edited:
Oh. Forgive me for replying back to something I thought interesting to discuss on my own thread.

Yes, you should be truly ashamed of yourself. Fie! That's ten lines by 8 PM for you young lady:

Few things are more distressing to a well-regulated mind than to see a young lady, who bloody well ought know better than to disport herself with Noirtrash of all people at inappropriate junctures instead of listening awestruck to the pearls of wisdom dropping from the awe-inspiringly high brow of Esser Steer.

:D

Yes, you should be truly ashamed of yourself. Fie! That's ten lines by 8 PM for you young lady:

Few things are more distressing to a well-regulated mind than to see a young lady, who bloody well ought know better than to disport herself with Noirtrash of all people at inappropriate junctures instead of listening awestruck to the pearls of wisdom dropping from the awe-inspiringly high brow of Esser Steer.

:D

Hey, he's no friend of mine and I'm on his idiot list as well. But what he pointed out was right. I just replied because it was something I was familiar with. Because he said it, the whole thing is wrong?

No, not at all Kimikimidoll! "Dinnae fesh yersel", as a Scot would say. I was just trying to be facetious and poke fun at a certain individual who seems utterly convinced that the Sun rises and sets only on his say-so. What you or anyone else for that matter says on any thread and where that takes it shouldn't be anyone's business as long as it doesn't violate the site rules. Some people take themselves and their opinions far too seriously and your conversation with Noirtrash was very interesting even if I myself had nothing to add to it. :)

... your conversation with Noirtrash was very interesting even if I myself had nothing to add to it. :)

I too found the conversation quite interesting (as Stephen Fry would say). I know nothing of psychology except that most folk are quite predictable, and you shouldn't stand too close to them in a crowded room.

The naughty corner is possibly getting quite crowded though, and several of us are now all tainted by Noir's southern hospitality. But I'm a lot further south and crossing the equator, I'm told, makes bullshit spin in the opposite direction....

I too found the conversation quite interesting (as Stephen Fry would say).

Are you fair dinkum when you say it was indeed Stephen Fry and not Elmer Fudd, the Man who dislikes Sheilas and who loves his Bondi on the Barbie?

Around here the cowards never start threads, the fools who do die along the way, and the dirty birds with nothing to contribute and pissed about it, shit on the parade. The AH_MOD looks the other way.

Around here the cowards never start threads, the fools who do die along the way, and the dirty birds with nothing to contribute and pissed about it, shit on the parade. The AH_MOD looks the other way.

Hey, that almost rhymes. You can hang it at the door as a warning.

Are you fair dinkum when you say it was indeed Stephen Fry and not Elmer Fudd, the Man who dislikes Sheilas and who loves his Bondi on the Barbie?

Teach me more Scottisms. My 5th grade teacher was Scottish and we never had a clue about what she was saying but we enjoyed her recitation of Iceberg Hermit very much. I miss her (I think she's still alive).

For 9 years PILETTE and TAXRAT are like bird shit from the sky upon any thread they cant contribute to.

The boys give a whole new meaning to BS (bird shit).

For anyone who might not know, the truth of this is just the opposite. JBJ, Noirtrash's former life here, was the biggest troll around. The same applies here. From homophobic to anti Lit everything. One has to wonder why he has to put down every writer on Lit.

For anyone who might not know, the truth of this is just the opposite. JBJ, Noirtrash's former life here, was the biggest troll around. The same applies here. From homophobic to anti Lit everything. One has to wonder why he has to put down every writer on Lit.

Hi,

We already know that. He doesn't need a PR.

Thanks.

Another barb at the ones who do not agree with everything he says. The ones that point out that he only started writing a short time ago. The ones that point out that most of what he posts here in the AH is either anti Lit writer or "Hey, look at me" because he has nothing to add to the discussion. Not to mention changing the discussion with bullshit he's read somewhere.

I've left you alone for the most part but you have kept poking me with a stick.

For 9 years PILETTE and TAXRAT are like bird shit from the sky upon any thread they cant contribute to.

The boys give a whole new meaning to BS (bird shit).

And here's JBJ's pissing on me and TxRad out of the blue for today. Stay tune for tomorrow's rendition and keep in mind the meaning of deflection.

You know shit about me. I made tons of money from my writing. most of it legal and psychological. I also sent some stuff to Charles Scribners back in 1971 and got an encouraging letter from them. I have what you lack, THE SPARK. You aint got it.

I am racist, homeopathic, misogynistic, and deplorable....what did I miss? I warned you we are at war. Your friends are my enemies. Its that simple.

You know shit about me. I made tons of money from my writing. most of it legal and psychological. I also sent some stuff to Charles Scribners back in 1971 and got an encouraging letter from them. I have what you lack, THE SPARK. You aint got it.

I am racist, homeopathic, misogynistic, and deplorable....what did I miss? I warned you we are at war. Your friends are my enemies. Its that simple.

It's that stupid. You may have wrote reports for some court or other but when you first got here, you didn't have a clue about writing fiction. You had read a lot but reading ain't writing. I will say you have learned some but you still don't understand that your opinion of other people means shit here. You keep giving your opinion because that's all you have. Yeah, it's just that stupid.

Mary Renault, she says, hopefully. :D

Oh Kimi, I think this thread is heading for Timbuktu and it wasn't me. Not this time.

Last edited:

Just a friendly word of advice: Don't use polysyllabic words when speaking to Tx - unless of course you want the gist of what you're saying to elude him completely. The first paragraph was absolutely spot on though! :)

It's that stupid. You may have wrote reports for some court or other but when you first got here, you didn't have a clue about writing fiction. You had read a lot but reading ain't writing. I will say you have learned some but you still don't understand that your opinion of other people means shit here. You keep giving your opinion because that's all you have. Yeah, it's just that stupid.

You should go back to Junior Middle. Your spelling is that atrocious.

Just a friendly word of advice: Don't use polysyllabic words when speaking to Tx - unless of course you want the gist of what you're saying to elude him completely. The first paragraph was absolutely spot on though! :)

You should go back to Junior Middle. Your spelling is that atrocious.

Well, I see JBJ has his own henchman lackey now. :rolleyes:

I must have hit a nerve or two, don't you think

henchman lackey

I beg your pardon? Apart from the confusion of gender, you'll have to decide on one or the other. I'm sure Mz Wainwright of 5C could sort it for you over a semester or two.

I beg your pardon? Apart from the confusion of gender, you'll have to decide on one or the other. I'm sure Mz Wainwright of 5C could sort it for you over a semester or two.

Yeah, you fit the part perfectly.

I did like reading about everyones choices about authors, she says, a little plaintive voice in the wilderness. Please come back and talk about authors and books. Its scary in thd wilds with all these savage beasts around snarling and growling.

I did like reading about everyones choices about authors, she says, a little plaintive voice in the wilderness. Please come back and talk about authors and books. Its scary in thd wilds with all these savage beasts around snarling and growling.

You know, I don't read at all *laughs* this was just a surreptitious way to get good reading recommendations..
Or was it a way to see how each of you think?
Anyway-
Another author I love (that a lot of people might hate) is Agatha Christie. Maybe some of her characters are very 1940s UK (or whatsit) but I love that era anyway. Their emotions are still relatable. And the way she commits the crime is usually simple- a poisoning of this, editing a letter here.. the way the murderer killed in Lord Edgeware Dies is fantastic.

Authors I like:

Thomas Love Peacock, particularly Headlong Hall, but you have to have some idea of the people he was satirising. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlong_Hall

Georgette Heyer, not for her weak plots or small stock of characters, but for her impeccable period detail.

Dorothy L Sayers.

Shakespeare and Chaucer, of course.

Marlowe

Bernard Shaw

A Conan Doyle for his stories not about Sherlock Holmes - the Professor Challenger stories, The White Company and Sir Nigel.

Rafael Sabatini https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Sabatini

For weird fantasy - H Rider Haggard

For dated blood and thunder:

Sapper - not just Bulldog Drummond but his war stories too.
John Buchan - I like Dickson McCunn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickson_McCunn_trilogy

Back