What are you reading at the moment?

Oooo some great books being read!
Diana Gabaldon is one of my all time favorite authors...Been meaning to get to the Lord John books ---- A hint of snow and ashes was incredible!

Sophies Choice - the book was amazing and it made you laugh and cry every bit as much as the movie.... but it feeds you in ways the movie simply couldn't.

Clive - ah Clive - stopped reading you after Sahara - the movie sucked.



Lemmesee----

The Boylen Inheritance (The other Boylen Girl was a Great book the movie didn't resemble it at all) Phillipa Gregory

revisiting - The Ghatti's Tale by Gayle Greeno books 1,2 & 3 (hey got all three for 75 cents~!) I first read them almost 20 years ago now -

And just finished reading all the books written by Donita K. Paul - I got them for my son - there's five of them thus far - and they are very engaging - all ages type books - hehehe --- whipped through them in a week - but my son likes them so its all good.....

And my own book - reading reading writing writing editing a whole lot more....
 
What I'm reading is what will be my first print book. I'm working with a famous co-author and we're trying to finish the last few chapters ASAP. More to follow.
 
I'm reading:

The Sagittarius Command by RM Meluch - a bit of fun when I'm not reviewing an ASTM or ASME standard - it's a space opera that pits the United States Space Navy (and Marines) along with their Roman allies (Hail Cesaer!) against an alien menace that threatens human existance! Lotsa swashing and buckling (last nanosecond saves) with flamethrowers and swords to face down the threat! I know that she had fun writing it because I'm having a ball reading it!
 
I'm enjoying seeing what you folks are reading. I'm still on the same books as in post #1 but two magazines arrived in the post this morning. (OK, this thread is meant to be about books, but it's my thread so I can redefine the limits if I want to! :rolleyes:).

  • FHM Francais, Mars 09 - I took out a subscription to improve my colloquial French (whilst ogling pretty French lasses in skimpy undies ;))
  • Current Archaeology, April 09 - with articles about the Neolithic revolution (of farming), the Mildenhall Treasure (Roman silverware) and excavations of Belfast's 19th century slums
 
Mercy by Jodi Picoult
I'm 4th on the waiting list for Cream Puff Murder by Joanne Fluke
 
Our First Revolution by Michael Barone. It's the amazing story of the Glorious Revolution of 1688 that put William of Orange on the British throne.
 
At the moment? This thread, obviously.

Otherwise? Well, Lois McMaster Bujold's The Curse of Chalion which I am re-reading if I'm sitting in the "library" (what we always called the head when I was coming up) and Paladin of Souls, by the same author, when I'm in bed.
 
I've promised myself to focus on course-only reading for now... so I just read an article called, "The Televised Sports Manhood Formula." Next, I'll be catching up on my reading on the Stoics and Zen (for class Zen, not my Warner Zen :().

*sigh*

Only 3 more weeks, and I can read what I like!
 
GRRRRR

I cant suffer one more page of COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO. The book is about 500 pages too long. Edmond Dantes is the fucking tooth fairy and Obama handing out bailout money once he escapes from jail. Too much.
 
At the moment, I'm reading Hemingway's Death in the Afternoon. Next up is Beth Henley's "Crimes of the Heart."
 
I'm reading "The Selfish Gene" and I'm not having fun. This man is so damn manipulative, evasive, and unscientific. Oxford Press should be ashamed-- but I know they are not. :mad:
 
I have started reading the dragon riders of Pern series by Anne McCaffery

I still have a way to go
 
I'm reading "The Selfish Gene" and I'm not having fun. This man is so damn manipulative, evasive, and unscientific. Oxford Press should be ashamed-- but I know they are not. :mad:

DAWKINS was a prince-warrior in the 70s. He and E.O. Wilson and Vincent Sarich provoked riots with SOCIO-BIOLOGY. The ghetto is the nigger's evolutionary niche and habitat and the battle of the sexes is real.

Dawkins and Wilson have since repented and enjoy their Usual Suspect friends once more, and they changed the name of socio-biology to EVOLUTIONARY PSYCHOLOGY. The Usual Suspects have short memories and short dinkies.
 
I went book shopping on Saturday. Got me:
  • Jewellery Making - a Complete Course
  • Jewellery Making Techniques Book
  • DK Eyewitness Travel Guide to Egypt (guess where I'm going on my hols this autumn)
  • BBC Quickstart Arabic CD language course
 
I love a good book, and I'd like to know what the rest of you are reading. So please tell me, what are you reading at the moment?

To kick off, I'm reading:

  • Shots from the Front, the British Soldier 1914 - 1918 by Richard Holmes
  • Darkling by Yasmine Galenorn (supernatural fantasy / romance)
  • The Student's Guide to VHDL by Peter Ashenden (a programming language for programmable logic chips rather than computers)
Just finished Uncle Tom's cabin (1853).

Fascinating to an atheist, because so much of the references to "Christianity" are clearly sarcastic while others just might be.

To add context, this is basically - as you probably know - a political polemic against slavery, but one of the significant issues explored is the relationship of Christianity and slavery. The author clearly attacks clerical defences of slavery, but so many of the other references to Christian values read - to a 21st century atheist - as almost equally sarcastic: the after-life justifying what is completely unjustifiable in this life.

I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks...
 
I'm reading "The Selfish Gene" and I'm not having fun. This man is so damn manipulative, evasive, and unscientific. Oxford Press should be ashamed-- but I know they are not. :mad:

That was exactly my impression also.

Well, I'm currently reading:
Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Ecco (um, actually for a year now :eek:)
The world as I see it - Albert Einstein
Wall Street and the rise of Hitler - Anthony Sutton
Zen & the brain - James Austin
 
Just turned back to a "between the wars" Romance, A Flower That's Free by Sarah Harrison. It's a humongous book and has been on my nightstand (where I keep piles of "to read" books) in three separate countries--I suspect I bought it in Cyprus. It's taking me ages to finish it. If anyone knows about this book or the author, let me know if the book should be any good.

I'm also tooling my way through Howard Morphy's Ancestral Connections, which connects meanings to Australian Aboriginal art motifs (I'm considering using these motifs in my Christmas cards this year--I've painted my own Christmas cards for 30 years now).

Brad Meltzer handed me a copy of his new suspense novel Body of Lies on Saturday, so I suppose I should start reading that as well. He wrote it as his mother was dying and he said she pops out on every page for him. Will have to look for that.
 
I'll be spending much of today reading and making notes on the Vimalakirti Sutras, the Heart Sutra, the Diamond Sutra, Sukhavati Vyuha Sutra, the Hui-Neng Sutra, and various pieces on Pure Land Buddhism, emptiness and mind-only, and Mahayana Buddhism.

Yes, I have a test upcoming this week. Must learn :rolleyes:
 
At the moment, I'm reading Hemingway's Death in the Afternoon...

I own a "first" of the book; it is one of Hemingway's more obscure and least read works. The photographs are extensive, explicit and stomach turning. It is not a book likely to be found on the reading list or bookshelves of PETA members.

I'm surprised to see it make an appearance.


ETA: I suspect that there aren't too many books in English on the subject of tauromachy !


 
Last edited:
RED QUEEN: Sex and the evolution of human nature by Matt Ridley.

If you hate Richard Dawkins, RED QUEEN will push you over the cliff. She doesnt want you, she wants a free meal. Her eggs are for the good-looking guy next door. Intelligence exists to cheat and deceive other people. And...I DONT NEED TO RUN FASTER THAN A BEAR, I just need to run faster than you when the bear chases us.

I, CLAUDIUS is an excellent read.

MISERY by Stevie King. Disturbing in the same way that STELLA scares me.
 
Lincoln

I'm reading Reelecting Lincoln: The Battle for the 1864 Presidency. His cabinet had been selected under the theory that it would be best to keep your enemies or at least potential competitors close to you. It's interesting to read about some of those who might have been elected if he hadn't been there.
 
I'm reading:

The bikini barista at the expresso stand
by moka stroka

It's about an itsy-bitsy,
teeny-weeny
yellow
polka-dot bikini
that she wore for the first time today

sort of a fugue in A-Minor
 
Back
Top