Random Gamer Silliness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try to check questionable spellings and I'm surprised how I can't spell conscientious (stupid t should be a sc...) and others...but my brain does put up flags when I'm not absolutely certain and Gods know it'll get corrected here if I get it wrong.
Sometimes...

I let gross errors pass, pretty much.

"They're, their" - "too, to" - we've been there, done that, but esoteric errors I tend to seize upon.

Some fractured Latin has propelled more than one thread...

(I am the GB Latin Nazi.)

I've never had an alt, but VBM's found a couple folk he thinks are me. I'm tempted to click-through to find out who they are...

RainbowDash, who was posted about on another forum, is actually someone who was very close to me in RL who recently joined the site. She's a gamer to, but tends to stay off the gb. But she's a huge gamer. You'd like her.

Sometimes...

I let gross errors pass, pretty much.

"They're, their" - "too, to" - we've been there, done that, but esoteric errors I tend to seize upon.

Some fractured Latin has propelled more than one thread...

(I am the GB Latin Nazi.)

How do you not hate me? I can't spell for shit.

I've never had an alt, but VBM's found a couple folk he thinks are me. I'm tempted to click-through to find out who they are...

RainbowDash, who was posted about on another forum, is actually someone who was very close to me in RL who recently joined the site. She's a gamer to, but tends to stay off the gb. But she's a huge gamer. You'd like her.

Cool, bring her over if you'd like.

The last real long-running gamer thread I had going was on the BDSM boards.

That royal dancing ballerina vampire girl who tried to change "carpe diem" into "seize the night" actually ended up saying "seize the owl."

I'm an editor for a living. I generally won't fix someone's spelling unless I get paid or I think it's funny...the schadenfreude thing was funny, so that qualified.

You have decent sentence structure, will capitalize and use punctuation. That's a big deal.

That royal dancing ballerina vampire girl who tried to change "carpe diem" into "seize the night" actually ended up saying "seize the owl."

I am not a latin scholar.

I do find medical humor to be hilarious.

There's this one woman who always says "gingkgo dildoba" instead of gingkgo biloba. I just can't tell her to fix it. And why would I when it makes me smile?

Prostrate cancer...

Funny gamer moment: I was playing Shiva with a friend on RE5. That moment when Wesker comes up out of the plane crash and he's like," CHRIS!" and he's all infected and powerful...

I was just like, "Welp, looks like this is between you two. I guess I'll just let myself out."

And I ran like a bitch.

I don't hate anyone on here.

Sometimes I correct them, when I think it will do them some good.

In the case of DCL, my gentle correction of his ignorance of Latin led to a brawl. He got angry because his debate with some idiot was really important to him, and he felt I was taking his opponent's side.

In truth, I thought the guy was an imbecile.

I don't hate anyone on here.

Sometimes I correct them, when I think it will do them some good.

In the case of DCL, my gentle correction of his ignorance of Latin led to a brawl. He got angry because his debate with some idiot was really important to him, and he felt I was taking his opponent's side.

In truth, I thought the guy was an imbecile.

I don't like Latin. There's a rich folk's Latin and a poor folk's Latin and that's just stupid.

Funny gamer moment: I was playing Shiva with a friend on RE5. That moment when Wesker comes up out of the plane crash and he's like," CHRIS!" and he's all infected and powerful...

I was just like, "Welp, looks like this is between you two. I guess I'll just let myself out."

And I ran like a bitch.

Had a moment like that in Dragon Age 2. You're going through a dungeon and a huge rock monster starts to assemble behind you. The characters don't turn around but your companion says "That can't be good."

As a Galaxy Quest fan, I started chanting "Rock! Rock! Rock!"

I don't like Latin. There's a rich folk's Latin and a poor folk's Latin and that's just stupid.
Latin is awesome.

By rich/poor I suppose you mean differences between Classical Latin and Vernacular Latin?

It's not "stupid," it just happened because most people couldn't read. So Vernacular Latin, over hundreds of years, deviated from the language that had once been known to everyone. It deviated so much, after the collapse of the Roman Empire, that it became Spanish, French, Romanian, Portuguese, and Italian.

We think of them now as different languages, and they don't change much, anymore, but they all were once Latin.

Had a moment like that in Dragon Age 2. You're going through a dungeon and a huge rock monster starts to assemble behind you. The characters don't turn around but your companion says "That can't be good."

As a Galaxy Quest fan, I started chanting "Rock! Rock! Rock!"

lol Galaxy Quest

Anything with Alan Rickman

Latin is awesome.

By rich/poor I suppose you mean differences between Classical Latin and Vernacular Latin?

It's not "stupid," it just happened because most people couldn't read. So Vernacular Latin, over hundreds of years, deviated from the language that had once been known to everyone. It deviated so much, after the collapse of the Roman Empire, that it became Spanish, French, Romanian, Portuguese, and Italian.

We think of them now as different languages, and they don't change much, anymore, but they all were once Latin.

Yeah, well it's stupid to have half your country so illiterate that they literally bastardize the language. Much like how rednecks don't really speak English and it's fucked up my foundation for the language so bad that I have to activly work to not sound like a dumbass in my native language. And that's on top of actually being a dumbass. I don't need that extra work.

Seconded.

But Patrick Stewart's in like, everything and that makes the lack of Rickman ok.

He is. And I just picked Max Von Sydow out of a lineup in Skyrim.

Not quite the same as Rickman, but he's the Exorcist, man.

I am not a latin scholar.
I wouldn't claim to be one either.

I skipped it in school. French seemed fairly ridiculous to me, except when my girlfriend spoke it, but that was later, German sounded like Arabic - I figured that would wreck my throat. I did try Spanish, but I dropped the course after a few weeks... lack of interest.

And then, years afterward, I got into Renaissance choral music. In ecclesiastical pronunciation, there are only pure vowels. All long, no diphthongs. There's no more awesome language for singing. And then, looking at the English translation compared to the Latin original, I wondered... what sort of crude language have I been speaking all my life? Because the Latin was so much more elegant. So that's how I got hooked on it.

I do find medical humor to be hilarious.

There's this one woman who always says "gingkgo dildoba" instead of gingkgo biloba. I just can't tell her to fix it. And why would I when it makes me smile?

Prostrate cancer...
Lol...

Like, cancer when you're lying down...?

Lol...

Like, cancer when you're lying down...?

This is my job, I might as well have fun with it.

I also remember proofreading a dictionary for Simon and Schuster and their medical dictionary defined homosexuality as a hysterical condition caused by social trauma.

I put a note on it saying they might want to reconsider defining it in such a way. Even better. Take it out.

I believe I got a thank you for saving them a lawsuit.

They also thought kuru was a hysterical condition and I pointed out that prions are serious business, not hysterical.

Yeah, well it's stupid to have half your country so illiterate that they literally bastardize the language. Much like how rednecks don't really speak English and it's fucked up my foundation for the language so bad that I have to activly work to not sound like a dumbass in my native language. And that's on top of actually being a dumbass. I don't need that extra work.
Yeah, well, it's stupid to have no electricity and no modern machines and no running water.

Live like that and see if you even survive a month, let alone have time to worry about what you fricken sound like.

Yeah, well, it's stupid to have no electricity and no modern machines and no running water.

Live like that and see if you even survive a month, let alone have time to worry about what you fricken sound like.

It also doesn't help to have lead in the pipes.

It also doesn't help to have lead in the pipes.
But what's worse: water through a lead pipe, or no water?

I swear, I would love to send a random selection of people back in time 2000 years just to see how they would cope.

It's my belief that 90% of them would die within three months, and at least half of those from suicide.

But what's worse: water through a lead pipe, or no water?

I swear, I would love to send a random selection of people back in time 2000 years just to see how they would cope.

It's my belief that 90% of them would die within three months, and at least half of those from suicide.

Oh, definitely. But I'd definitely be homicidal first before I was suicidal. Might as well take some of the pedophiles out. Not all, mind, but some.

My brain is accustomed to a certain level of air conditioning.

I don't idealize history the way many people do, I know it was brutal and there's a reason why most people didn't live out of their 20's.

That actually makes me curious. How different do you think the reactions would be if, instead of sending them back directly 2,000 years, you sent them back 100 years at a time every time one year passed? It would take twenty to reach the destination, of course, but barring potential discrimination snafoos and the plague I wonder how different it would end up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back