Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clean counters, clean clothes, and Mac & Cheese with English cheddar, Irish cheddar, Yarlsberg, and Comté. Reward!
 
Mac & Cheese with English cheddar, Irish cheddar, Yarlsberg, and Comté. Reward!

Yum!

This morning I have a bread baking class...I can't wait!

ETA: one of the three beautiful (and delicious) breads we made...
0103787F-C452-4797-BC02-9A915DDBCCB7_zpstcbz43iu.jpg
 
Last edited:
I am constantly playing with yeast bread recipes.
Congrats, on a successful venture into braided bread!
What kind of bread, is that ?

Now, I do not have to be long winded and say that I am a ovo-lactarian with tendencies to cheat with seafood.

Thank you Lyfe, for using the word, flexatarian.
 
I made Mason jar salads this Sunday, southwestern.

Black beans
diced tomatoes
diced yellow peppers
diced avocado
corn
leafy greens
shredded cheddar cheese

homemade lime vinaigrette
 
I'm slow cooking a standing rib roast , but I just threw it in the crock pot. there was room so I tossed in a second, random roast. Not sure what the other one was. We have a couch surfer tonight so I couldn't make a lot of noise.

I made Mason jar salads this Sunday, southwestern.

Black beans
diced tomatoes
diced yellow peppers
diced avocado
corn
leafy greens
shredded cheddar cheese

homemade lime vinaigrette

Why mason jar? I'm guessing so it marinates? Maybe first 5 ingredients, let is marinate then dump it on greens?
 
I am constantly playing with yeast bread recipes.
Congrats, on a successful venture into braided bread!
What kind of bread, is that ?

It's just a basic white. I went to King Arthur Flour for the class. I've baked bread for years, but I don't do it often because I don't eat a lot of bread. I learned a few things and learned a couple of new ways of doing things. It was a fun class.

We ended up each leaving the class with 3 loaves! The braid and a semolina curlicue are in the freezer. I left out the basic loaf (I gave half to my 'rents).
 
Guacamole, I could live off the stuff. I have no chips handy. I have some masa so I could make tortillas, but I am just eating it with a spoon. Avocado, salt and garlic crushed to a fine paste with the back of my knife.
 
We've had a mild spell in my little valley, and I suddenly felt like summer flavours for supper. So: salmon en papillote with juniper, rosemary and a splash of Tanqueray, new potatoes with butter and fresh mint, and finely chopped watercress stirred into Isigny creme fraiche. The whole thing took about 20 minutes and was a lovely wake-up call in this time of stews and other heavy foods.

Sometime anti-seasonal eating can be the perfect pick-me-up.
 
We've had a mild spell in my little valley, and I suddenly felt like summer flavours for supper. So: salmon en papillote with juniper, rosemary and a splash of Tanqueray, new potatoes with butter and fresh mint, and finely chopped watercress stirred into Isigny creme fraiche. The whole thing took about 20 minutes and was a lovely wake-up call in this time of stews and other heavy foods.

Sometime anti-seasonal eating can be the perfect pick-me-up.

In other words, you had fish.
 
Okay I found my bacon cast iron. It's a little more high maintenance to clean because those grooves like to keep food crusties in them. I was thinking it was more oblong but it was a griddle I have. The brand name is WKM and I found a link from ebay that has one for sale. I'll post that too. I really like this brand because the handle can screw off, which is great for storing.

6ca776adbb001eb4929714268a936ea4_zps92626a45.jpg


ebay bacon cast iron for sale

Also, here's my aebleskiver pan, I haven't used this in years.

62358e15201504bcc2863dd7ecb08a92_zpsdd0c66fb.jpg

Dig the cast iron porn :cool:
 
Thank you. :rose:
You should go, they're hard to get into, but it was a lot of fun.

I'd have to make a vacation out of it. :p Do you live close to one of their baking centers or did you have to travel?

_____________________

Alright, so here's my first attempt at roasting a Whitetail Shank (calf of the leg).
This meat is usually ground up but I decided to keep one whole for this experiment.

Dry rubbed it with salt, pepper, onion and garlic.
Let it marinate for 48 hours in the fridge.
Cooked it for 4 hours in a 250 °F oven.

When I took it out of the fridge (before cooking) I noticed some of the muscle was barely hanging on so I removed it and wrapped it in bacon. I should have wrapped the bone-in muscle too, that would have basted the outer tissue.

Anyways, not bad for a first attempt, the meat was delicious and melted in my mouth, I can't believe how tender and juicy it was!!

cOmQUD6.jpg
 
My first shot at chicken with rice. I cooked thighs bone-in and with skin, but took the meat off and added back in, to make it easier to eat. Came out really good.

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
I'd have to make a vacation out of it. :p Do you live close to one of their baking centers or did you have to travel?

I live close by, but several couples in the class had traveled quite a ways and spent the night at a local inn.

~*~*~

Waffles...Grumpy made sweet potato waffles this weekend, topped with a kale/garlic sauté and an egg...very yummy!!

~*~*~

Grumpy also had a family Christmas party to host, so we made Maple Walnut Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting AND an overnight slow cooked brisket!! Delicious!!

It was a foodie weekend!
 
Last edited:
Food thought-

Lemon and coconut are a classic combination, for a reason.

Do they highlight the qualities of each other ?

Coconut is rich, heavy and carries a toasted flavor well.
Lemon provides a contrast, with acid of the juice, and the
spiciness of the peel.

I have come almost to the end of my quest, and I will be searching for liquid essence of coconut, to add to the recipe.

My theory is the lemon will emphasize the coconut,
and the coconut will emphasize the lemon.
 
I considered making some Fajitas for a red-and-green Christmas Eve meal for myself and the cat. What I had handy was some T-bones. Seemed a waste of some good steaks so I broiled them with garlic-butter.

The cat didn't mind omitting the Peppers.

Coconut-cream pie for desert in lieu of a white Christmas. It gets cold enough and wet enough up in the mountains for snow, but it seems to alternate. Clouds hold the heat in, and it doesn't snow, or vice versa. A 1000 feet up the trail gets snow more often.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top