In a Sunburned Country Story Event: Official Support Thread

37679200_692265787780404_6412167662171848704_n.jpg

OMG. Getting closer.

Our “Go Live” Date is Tuesday November 6th 2018. Melbourne Cup Day. The Melbourne Cup is held on the first Tuesday in November and for those who’ve never heard of it, well, it’s one of the most famous horse races in the world.

Date for submissions is from Monday 29 October to Monday 5 November, 2018 – that’s starts only nine days away. Still some time for you all to come up with a good story in an Australian setting. So get cracking! :heart:Rattle those dags!:heart:

And I better get my own one finished!!! :eek:

I have just about finished a story I have been working on for months and was going to publish it when I came across this thread. I did actually submit it a few days ago but withdrew it before it was seen when I realised I could improve it.

Now I find if I delay it it would be technically eligible for this theme as it is set in Australia.

There is nothing particularly Australian about it. I just set it where I live - Brisbane. I could have set it in any city in any English speaking country just by changing the name of the city and the three other place names referred to.

Is that in the spirit of the theme?

It will only be my second Literotica story. Like the first it is a Loving Wives story and will be unpopular with the trolls as it is about loving wives who love and are loved and is neither BTB nor about cuckold humiliation. Unless I improve it the title will be "A Couple Who Love Their Colleagues"

I reckon authors will have their own interpretations of 'Australian' (or Big Zealand, or the Land of the Cuzzy Bros) so there will be those that are set in Australia, those that are about Australian culture and those that are written by Australians, and include a lot more nuanced references about what it is like to live here.

There's nothing notably Aussie about my story, except for one of the lead characters. I recently read something about 'Aussie larriken' (for those not familiar with what a larriken is, the Wikipedia description is 'Larrikin is an Australian English term meaning "a mischievous young person, an uncultivated, rowdy but good hearted person", or "a person who acts with apparent disregard for social or political conventions") and how being a bit of an arsehole is actually part of the personality, or, in fact, a key attribute of the personality. I thought it was actually quite apt, and that's what I tried to encompass, in the form of a divorced 50 year old bloke. But my storyline itself? Generic. Generic in the extreme.

Are there any Lit authors here who live in the Melbourne area, and are familiar with the eucalyptus forests of the interior of Victoria? That's where my story is set. I'm doing my research, but I've never been to Australia, so trying to describe it is a stretch. A little reality check would be helpful. I would appreciate some input, and if anyone is willing to give it I would greatly appreciate a private message.

Mate, if your still looking I'd have a go. More familiar with nsw but know the Dandenong Ranges, and Sub Alpine and Alpine area of Vic a bit.

I've left it too late write my own, but happy to give Aussie perspective

I know NSW well, and reasonably familiar with Great ocean rd (vic), Perth and Brisbane.

A couple of thoughts for all, there is quite a range of cultures in Aus, from toothless mullet haired yobbos, to the descendants of the squatocracy (think english accents and cucumber sandwiches under the Wisteria vines for afternoon tea), so there is a fair bit of wriggle room with style and diction.

Add the high proprtion of our wonderful migrants, theres scope to have interracial shenanigans in any language you like.

We're one of the most urbanised countries, but the rural humour and styles lingers.

Add to that a city hipster culture and you got plenty of scope for communication comedy.

Anyway, if i can assist please ping me.

Cheers

Finished first draft "A Blue Christmas"

Going through the editing process now. Reasonably happy with it but could tinker with it for months if time wasn't so short. Hopefully there are enough funny moments, a couple of dramas, a pair of stand up MCs, a couple of villains, an ex-LW trying to pull a fast one, and a bit of romance with hurdles and hoops along the way. It could go in romance or novels, I s'pose. I'm sure I'll get complaints about the length of it, the ending, the overuse of slang at the outset from the angry MC, although that does start to taper off as he mellows and creeps into the second MC's lingo by association. Still, it is what it is.

Because of NaNoWriMo, I may have to put off reading entries until December, but will look forward t0 the, hoping for a good Mum,bet if entries. How's everyone getting on with their comtributions?

Attachments

• 039ED885-44D5-47BE-87D0-ADBBF289ACEB.jpg
    039ED885-44D5-47BE-87D0-ADBBF289ACEB.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
How's everyone getting on with their contributions?
Collaboration with LoquiSordidaAdMe written, final edit done, ready to submit.

Two of Loqui's American girls escape the northern hemisphere's winter and get chaperoned to an ocean-side wilderness resort, someplace in Australia, by EB's Adam (from The Floating World series).

Is Australian spelling acceptable

I live in Australia. My spell checker is set to Australian English. I'm writing a story. Will it be accepted with Australian spelling? Do I need to add a warning about the location? If my story is accepted by Literotica, will an american readership get annoyed by what passes as "incorrect spelling" by their standards?

Example. We use a verb like "to centralise". With an S. That's correct in Australia. But an American person is more likely to use "to centralize". With a Z?

What's the overall practice? Do we write for the largest audience, prrsumably American? Or, do we target niches, like Australia?

I could change my spell checker, if necessary, but I'd rather do it upfront.

I live in Australia. My spell checker is set to Australian English. I'm writing a story. Will it be accepted with Australian spelling? Do I need to add a warning about the location? If my story is accepted by Literotica, will an american readership get annoyed by what passes as "incorrect spelling" by their standards?

Example. We use a verb like "to centralise". With an S. That's correct in Australia. But an American person is more likely to use "to centralize". With a Z?

What's the overall practice? Do we write for the largest audience, prrsumably American? Or, do we target niches, like Australia?

When I posted my story in Australian English I put a note in the Note to Admin section of the submission form saying "Because the story is set in Australia, Australian English is appropriate." It was published in Australian English.

It would be a matter of opinion as to whether the number of Americans who find it bad because they are annoyed by the spelling would be outnumbered by the number who find it good because the spelling is quaint and authentic.

Collaboration with LoquiSordidaAdMe written, final edit done, ready to submit.

Two of Loqui's American girls escape the northern hemisphere's winter and get chaperoned to an ocean-side wilderness resort, someplace in Australia, by EB's Adam (from The Floating World series).

Great!

When I posted my story in Australian English I put a note in the Note to Admin section of the submission form saying "Because the story is set in Australia, Australian English is appropriate." It was published in Australian English.

It would be a matter of opinion as to whether the number of Americans who find it bad because they are annoyed by the spelling would be outnumbered by the number who find it good because the spelling is quaint and authentic.

I'd say go with the Australian spelling but maybe add a note under the event name in notes exposing which spelling you used. I'd suggest a note at the top of your story as well coz I get comments on spelling and slang. If you explain first, it reduces the noise. Sometimes ....

I write in Australian English and have never put a note to "warn" anybody of this. I've never received a single comment about spelling. My readers are obviously able to understand Australian English when they see it, and I see no need to pander to those that don't.

Having said that, my collaborative anthology story uses both American and Australian spellings, aligned to the American and Australian characters, so we've said, that's deliberate, don't point it out.

I write in Australian English and have never put a note to "warn" anybody of this. I've never received a single comment about spelling. My readers are obviously able to understand Australian English when they see it, and I see no need to pander to those that don't.

Having said that, my collaborative anthology story uses both American and Australian spellings, aligned to the American and Australian characters, so we've said, that's deliberate, don't point it out.

Okay! I now to experience oh wise one! Lol👍

And now I gotta run..... arrivals incoming

Alright! First draft finished and one rough edit.
I just might make it :)

This has been my experience. Some of my American beta-readers have queried things that weren't familiar to them (which is fine, I'd much rather deal with false positives at that stage than have errors slip through) but I can't recall anybody complaining about Australian spellings in a published story.

I did add a note to one story where I used a term that's mild in Australian English but very offensive in British English, since that seemed likely to cause confusion.

I live in Australia. My spell checker is set to Australian English. I'm writing a story. Will it be accepted with Australian spelling? Do I need to add a warning about the location?

Mine are in Canadian and I add a note to the top to prevent confusion.

Years ago I did see one incident where a reader complained that the story wasn't written in American English and that spoiled his enjoyment. He wondered why the author hadn't done it that way. If memory serves me it was a British writer.

Readers like that aren't needed.

Argh! I thought it was essentially finished weeks ago. I have just been occasionally polishing while waiting for the desired submission dates. Then I realise a glaring anachronism. A school teacher reading erotica on the internet in the 1980's?? Oh well. A couple of minor changes and I think it is actually an improvement.

Here's a challenge for ya, mate. Set it on the Sydney-Perth run, and see if you can make the Nullabor interesting ;).

A few years ago in Sydney, me and my sweetheart were dreaming about a train trip to Perth, just for the privilege for spending 6 days and 6 nights together in a berth. On one occasion, we were at Central Station at 3:15pm on a Wednesday(?) and we admired the carriages and locomotive of the Indian Pacific waiting to start its journey from platform nr. 1. We were holding hands and our imagination went wild.

This is an actual memory for me. I just realise I answered your challenge.

It's 29th somewhere (specifically in Australia) so screw it. I've submitted it. The urge to make more changes was getting too hard to resist.

Not in Australia. It's an affectionate self-referential term, used by just about all Mediterranean country-of-origin communities. We've got a show on TV at the moment called "Wog Boys" which is situational comedy set in the 'burbs, it's a piss-take from a bunch of Greek comedians at themselves.

Twenty-five years ago wogs all drove purple Valiants around the block on a Friday night, now it's mostly go-faster Nissans and Toyotas. It's just multi-culturalism, here. They still drive around the block, some things never change :).

Not in Australia. It's an affectionate self-referential term, used by just about all Mediterranean country-of-origin communities. We've got a show on TV at the moment called "Wog Boys" which is situational comedy set in the 'burbs, it's a piss-take from a bunch of Greek comedians at themselves.

Twenty-five years ago wogs all drove purple Valiants around the block on a Friday night, now it's mostly go-faster Nissans and Toyotas. It's just multi-culturalism, here. They still drive around the block, some things never change :).

Can't forget the show called "Superwog" on the ABC. Another sitcom where "ethnic heritage clashes with heartland suburbia." That the two creators of the show attended Trinity Grammar school just adds to the strangeness.

Although offhand I can't recall if Superwog has a Nissan or a Toyota...

Back