The Roaring Twenties

In a way, she was glad that Charlie had decided to stay in the fight, though she worried that he could get hurt. The day had worn her down and she was now more lost than she had been a week ago.

Right that's settled then we'll give that number a call in the morning, right now I'm ready for bed, you coming Clare?

Was she? Could she? This was after all how she lost him to Cora to begin with. Did she have him anyway? Or was it all too late after all.

She looked down and bit her lip before following him into the bedroom. Once the door was closed, she stood by it, unsure of what to do.

"Jack, you don't have to feel obligated to anything. I can sleep out on the couch. Jack, I'm sorry that I acted as I did. After all, you did know her better that you knew me."
 
As the door to the bedroom closed Clare stood frozen it seemed, lonely , confused frightened perhaps, then she spoke

'Jack, you don't have to feel obligated to anything. I can sleep out on the couch. Jack, I'm sorry that I acted as I did. After all, you did know her better that you knew me.'

"Clare darling I don't feel obligated to anything, If you wish it I will sleep on the couch but I would much rather be here with you, I can understand your reluctance to believe that we can be the same as we were for we are very different people now. I knew Cora yes, but only her body, every time I was in her arms I was only thinking of you, please please understand that I would never knowingly cast you aside for another woman especially not Cora for she practiced a cruel deception on me, it hurt you and it has hurt me, can't you believe me and love me as I know you did? "

Jack moved closer to Clare and took her in his arms smothering her face and neck with kisses, wanting to undress her and make love to her wonderful soft supple body but afraid to make the first move in case she thought that was all he wanted. what he wanted was for Clare to make love to him, with him, to be together as one.

"I think that it is make your mind up time, make your decision Clare, either break my heart or make me the happiest man that ever lived."
 
She knew that he was right. Cora had been cruel, had deceived both of them. In just a few step, he held her in his arms, a flood of kisses covering her face, her neck. She knew then that she still loved him, though doubt still tugged at her.

I think that it is make your mind up time, make your decision Clare, either break my heart or make me the happiest man that ever lived.

She leaned against him, hearing his heart thundering in his chest and her heart joined his, copying its tempo. Arms with a will of their own found their way around his neck. Her fear made her speak the words that haunted her.

"What if I'm not as good as she was?" Her voice was small and unsure of herself.
 
Jack took Clare in his arms and smothered her with kisses on her face and neck, tasting her soft flesh and her arms crept around his neck holding him close to her and returning his kisses, Between kisses she asked as if fearful of his reply,
"What if I am not as good as she was?"
Still unsure of herself or him.
"Clare, my sweet I can't deny that Cora was a good lover and I found her extremely attractive but that was before I had made love to you and there is no comparison, on reflection Cora was all about her own needs whereas you give yourself wholeheartedly, there is no comparison "

His hand had found the zipper at the back of her dress, slowly he drew it down and his hand caressed her silky soft back stopping only to unclasp her bra and release her breasts from the confines of the lacy cups that held them.
Disentangling her arms from around his neck he held her at arms length and silently slipped the dress off her pale alabaster shoulders and watched as it slid over her full firm breasts and whispered its way to the floor, her bra soon followed and Jack admired her slim lissom body clad in just panties and stockings.
"Clare, you are breathtakingly beautiful, I love you so very, very much."
He took her hand and led her to the bed and sat her down.
"Are you going to make me do all the work or can you manage your panties and stockings by yourself?"
 
Last edited:
Clare, my sweet I can't deny that Cora was a good lover and I found her extremely attractive but that was before I had made love to you and there is no comparison, on reflection Cora was all about her own needs whereas you give yourself wholeheartedly, there is no comparison

She nodded as he unzipped her dress and unhooked her bra, sliding both down to the floor. She felt so exposed, maybe because this time she was doing this of her own free will. This was her, Clare, going to bed with Jack. No longer playing a roll as Cora.

Clare, you are breathtakingly beautiful, I love you so very, very much.

Leading her to the bed, he asked,

Are you going to make me do all the work or can you manage your panties and stockings by yourself?

She blushed. "I'm fine." Sitting on the side of the bed, she rolled her stockings down before removing her panties and quickly climbing under the covers. She was still embarrassed at being seen naked and she was aware of Jack undressing on the other side of the bed.

"Jack, can you be patient with me. For almost 3 years, my life has been turned upside down. My sister stole you from me. Someone may have stolen her from me. Those guys stole my freedom from me. I'm sorry. I am trying. But maybe with your help..."
 
Jack watched Clare hesitate then roll her stocking carefully down her long pale legs, he could tell that even now she was embarrassed to be seen like this but he couldn't take his eyes off her as she tried to hide herself from his gaze, he smiled reassuringly at her as she removed her panties, he held his hand out for them and in a daze she handed them to him and just put them in his pocket although he was tempted to smell her sex on them.Clare hurried into bed and hugged the covers to her watching as Jack began undressing.

'Jack, can you be patient with me. For almost 3 years, my life has been turned upside down. My sister stole you from me. Someone may have stolen her from me. Those guys stole my freedom from me. I'm sorry. I am trying. But maybe with your help... '

Clare's voice was soft and low, almost pleading, it seemed to him as if she expected him to jump on her and ravish her.

"Don't worry Clare my love, I can understand that you have been through a great deal and for me to put more pressure on you wouldn't be fair. You take as much time as you need, but I'll always be here waiting for you. I love you always."

Jack waited with bated breath, would she give the reply that they had recklessly promised all those years ago?

He saw her lips move but no sound came out but in that moment he knew she was remembering 'Until the end of time. '

Jack now stood naked at the side of the bed his manhood erect and horizontal but twitching uncontrollably,

"I'm sorry Clare but nature has taken over, I have no control over it, but I will sleep on top of the covers if that will make you feel more at ease."

They were brave bold words and Jack sensed the lie in them, he no more wanted to sleep with the covers between them than he wanted to jump in the Thames, but it was said now so it rested with Clare.
 
Don't worry Clare my love, I can understand that you have been through a great deal and for me to put more pressure on you wouldn't be fair. You take as much time as you need, but I'll always be here waiting for you. I love you always.

Her lips gave the answer automatically though the words were whispered. "Until the end of time."

Now he stood beside the bed, nude. His heart beat in that manhood that she beheld, rising proudly from between his legs. There was no shame in his eyes, only desire and need as he looked down upon her.

I'm sorry Clare but nature has taken over, I have no control over it, but I will sleep on top of the covers if that will make you feel more at ease.

She heard the pain in his voice, and she knew that deep down inside of her, she wanted him too. When everything was said and done, she still loved him. She had hesitated once before and had lost him to Cora. She didn't want that to happen again. Perhaps this time, she needed to grow up. To become a woman. To become his woman. She did not want to lose him again.

She drew back the covers and held out a hand to him. "Come to bed, love."
 
For a brief moment Jack thought he had lost her again as she hesitated then her eyes became clear and bright, she smiled and held out her hand

' Come to bed, love.'

Jack almost ruined the moment by tripping over the sheets as he pulled them off Clare's naked body. However it wasn't the quiet meek Clare that he was expecting this was all woman, she lay with one arm behind her head and the other across her belly with her fingers strumming her hooded clit.

Jack was a little nonplussed and lay down beside her hardly daring to touch her. Then he understood, this was the new Clare, she had always been there but had been constrained by propriety and polite society. In the world she had grown up in 'NICE GIRLS' didn't do what she was doing now, they would open their legs, think of England and breed, that was what 'NICE GIRLS' did. Now though she was free.

He took her in his arms and found her soft wetness that trembled with desire as he traced his finger tips along her slit.

"A new beginning Clare, you and I together."

Her hand closed over his stiff thickening cock and she stroked him tentatively at first but under his murmured guidance she gained the confidence to pump her hand up and down and smear his leaking precum over the plum coloured head.

"I won't be offended if you say no but some ladies like the feel and taste of their man's cock in their mouth, I hope you are that adventurous Clare. We can go at whatever pace you wish my love just so long as we are always together. "
 
Last edited:
She was determined to make this work. When he pulled the covers away to reveal her in all her glory, she played it up for him. He had said that he wanted her and her alone. She struck a pose as a smile played around her lips.

Being in his arms was scary and exciting and when his fingers slid down, he found her wet with want. She did want him. She loved him. Had always loved him. Loved him enough that she knew that when Cora told him she was pregnant, he would do the right thing and marry her. Clare was prepared to step aside, even leave the country so that there was no conflict. So that it would be easy for him.

A new beginning Clare, you and I together.

She made a conscious effort to please him, though she at first was afraid that she would hurt him. As her small hand wrapped around his throbbing member, he gave a slight groan. But he smiled and placed his hand over hers and showed her just how he liked to have his manhood stroked and after a minute or two, she felt more confident in what she was doing. The head of it was purplish on color and looked very angry.

I won't be offended if you say no but some ladies like the feel and taste of their man's cock in their mouth, I hope you are that adventurous Clare. We can go at whatever pace you wish my love just so long as we are always together.

She hesitated. "Can we save that for another time?" She released her hold on his manhood and rolled over to press herself to his side. "Please?" Her lips brushed against his. Soft and low is how she spoke to him. "Jack, so far you have made love to me in anger and frustration. Now, would you make love to me out of love? Please?"
 
Clare's touch on his cock caused it to twitch alarmingly but calmed down as he gave her instructions as to how he liked it. Clare was a fast learner and more importantly she wanted to learn, wanted to please him. Asking her to give him a blow job, no matter how politely and enticing he phrased it, was, he admitted to himself, rushing things.

' Can we save that for another time?"Please? Jack, so far you have made love to me in anger and frustration. Now, would you make love to me out of love? Please?"'

At least she hadn't rejected it out of hand, merely put it on the back burner, he was disappointed but prepared to wait until Clare was ready. The important thing now was to show Clare his love and have her come back to him completely.

"I give you my love every time I see you darling, I shine my love into your eyes and although our first time was unfortunate I knew then that without a doubt it was you I loved."

He caressed her hip, adoring her soft silky skin stretched taut over her hip bone. His lips slipped along her jawline until he felt her breathing heavily into his ear and their lips met in a warm loving kiss that quickly turned into a passionate embrace their bodies hot with passion and pressing urgently against each other. Jack was about to push Clare's thighs apart but they were already parted and welcoming his thick organ , Clare guiding it to her puffy pink labia, panting her desire wordlessly and with a drawn out groan Jack was inside her, his member fitting snugly in her channel, they didn't move a muscle for several minutes just taking the greatest pleasure of being together. After a while his hips slid forwards his cock sliding into her soft velvety glove. He groaned with pleasure as her hips pressed back and they fell into a steady rhythm. In the dim light their bodies moved together, making gentle love to each other until Jack spilled his seed into her.
"One day my love it will be you that is carrying our child."
 
Last edited:
I give you my love every time I see you darling, I shine my love into your eyes and although our first time was unfortunate I knew then that without a doubt it was you I loved.

His hands on her bare body thrilled her. Now that she had quit fighting the feelings running through her and just remembered the basics. She loved him. It was as simple as that. Until the end of time

Now this felt right. This was like a gentle rain, slow and steady. His hands explored her body with an almost reverence to it. This time , he didn't have to fight her to open her legs. She was ready and waiting for him, and he didn't take. Instead, she gave. Their coupling was right. And she wanted to be there.

Jack was attentive. He made her feel as if she were the most important person in the world. He slid in and just waited. Allowing her body to adjust to him. Even though it was not her first time to have sex, he treated her as if it was and she certainly appreciated his actions.

Pulling his face to hers, she gave him a kiss to let him know her feelings. It didn't take long though before they began that horizontal tango, with him leading her around the place. As he picked some speed, she thought of Cora.

He whispered in her ear and she whispered her reply. She heard him add as he came, thrusting deep o to her.

One day my love it will be you that is carrying our child.
 
For Jack it was the most momentous, satisfying night of his life, not just the sex, although that was wonderful but the love that flowed between them. It was perfect ,at long last they had come together as they should have done years ago and would have done had it not been for Cora and her deception to try and steal him away from Clare.

Clare had surprised him in some small way with her enthusiasm for making love, from what he remembered she had always been rather prim and proper, not exactly a prude but wary of allowing his exuberance to overwhelm her. It was that very reticence that had led to him repeatedly asking her to go away with him for a weekend.

The morning sunlight filtered through his half closed eyes and just for a moment he thought he had been dreaming then he felt Clare stir beside him and he stretched out a hand and felt her move towards him ,he folded her in his arms and kissed her soft moist lips.

"Good morning lover"

He whispered as his hands trailed over her body, scarcely able to believe that they were together like this. They kissed for several minutes until they heard Charlie moving about ad the smell of bacon wafted through.

"Come on you two, breakfast in five minutes if you can disentangle yourselves. I've barely slept a wink with that bed creaking all night.
"

Jack and Clare looked at each other, Clare blushed prettily and then giggled.

"Be right there Charlie and you shouldn't have been listening"
 
Gradually she became aware that it was morning and a hand reached for her. She rolled over into his arms as his lips found hers. His voice whispered in her ear.

Good morning lover

"Good morning." She whispered back.

His hands caressed her body as they kissed. For this brief period of time, her troubles were forgotten. No Cora. No bad guys. Just her and Jack. She could tell that he was getting excited too. And then Charlie shouted out from the other side of the door.

Come on you two, breakfast in five minutes if you can disentangle yourselves. I've barely slept a wink with that bed creaking all night.

She smelled bacon and glanced over at Jack. Blushing as they laughed she swatted his arm as he called out to Charlie.

Be right there Charlie and you shouldn't have been listening

She managed to find something to wrap around her and they headed for the kitchen. She had not realized just how hungry she was. Having your life in danger gave one an appetite. Having sex all night made one hungry too.

"So, what's first on the list of things to do?"
 
Less than five minutes later they sat down to a huge breakfast that Charlie had prepared, Clare had found a wrap to cover herself with, it was enough to cover the essentials but didn't hide her curves to any degree and Jack found himself casting surreptitious glances in her direction and memories of the previous night came flooding back.
At one point Clare reached over for another slice of toast and her wrap fell open and a delectable breast showed itself, Charlie covered his eyes in mock embarrassment although his fingers were splayed apart.

"Must you Clare darling? It's enough to put a man off his breakfast and think of other things."

His quip had all three of them laughing as Clare tucked her bare breast away. Anxious to attend to the business of the ring and its contents Jack asked for the number they had found the night before.

RING, RING

"Morning, who's calling? "

An American accented voice answered.

"You don't know me Sir but I and my friends have something we think you may be able to help us with and possibly be to your advantage, I can't tell you over the phone but if we could meet at say ten o' clock"

The voice sounded puzzled but agreed to meet with them.

"That's that settled, hopefully we'll get some answers."

Jack wandered back into the bedroom to finish dressing and found Clare naked except for her panties in the process of rolling her stockings on, There was one long elegant leg stretched out as she bent over, her breasts hanging enticingly.
Jack caught his breath,

"We're not in any hurry are we sweetheart?"

Taking Clare in his arms and walking her backwards to the bed his hands already inside her panties, clasping her firm round buttocks. His lips on her warm moist mouth as he kissed her.
 
Last edited:
They made it through breakfast with only one instance of her wrap falling open. The meal was still lighthearted and despite what everyone said, she knew that this whole mystery was in the back of everyone's mind.

After they had replenished their energy with food, Clare and Charlie waited as Jack called the number. Hopefully they would be reaching the correct person, and not someone that had the same name. As they were hearing only one side of the conversation, they were dying to know what the man said. But all he would say was, That's that settled, hopefully we'll get some answers.

Frustrated, Clare retired to the bedroom to change, leaving Jack and Charlie alone. She began dressing, but only got as far as slipping on her knickers and starting to roll on her hose when Jack sauntered in. She recognized the look in his eyes. She looked at him and shook her head, hoping to perhaps cool the arder she saw brewing in him, but apparently she was not successful as he approached her.

We're not in any hurry are we sweetheart?

And with that he had her in his arms, hands in her knickers to grip her bare bottom. Her protest was smothered by his kiss. She should protest louder; after all, they had an appointment at 10:00. And he still had not told her what the McCarthy on the other end had said.

"I should be quite cross with you. I should be..." She paused as he drew her against him. "...but I'm..." The end of her sentence was cut off by his kiss and as his tongue danced with hers, she untied the dressing gown Jack wore, revealing his nude body beneath it. A certain portion of his body pressed against her as she returned his kiss. She could see where this was leading.
 
The sight of Clare's almost naked body was so erotic that his cock rose sharply under the dressing gown he had borrowed from Charlie. he pulled her into his arms and slid his hands in the back of her panties and walked her half protesting to the bed,

"I should be quite cross with you. I should be......but I'm..."

"Not, not cross with me at all"

Jack finished for her, kissing her neck and lips until he felt the tie of his dressing gown loosen and they both fell on the bed laughing, him on top of her and between her long legs that were wrapping around him. His cock now was hard and wouldn't be denied, it was flat along her stomach, the root pulsing on her clit.

"God, I want you so badly Clare, imagine we have wasted two whole years, we have so much to catch up on, if it means making love to you two, three times a day then I will."

He slipped his hand between them and guided his blood engorged cock head to her entrance and it slid in with no resistance at all, tight, yes but no resistance. His hips undulated sliding his length in and out like a steam engines pistons, hard and unyielding, gathering pace but not fast and furious but treating her like a delicate piece of porcelain. Clare soon joined in the rhythm of his long deep thrusts and her back arched as he suddenly ejaculated inside her, hot streams of white cum filled her and he felt rather than heard her pleasure.

Their time was interrupted by Charlie's impatient call,

"Come on you two, we have an appointment, there's plenty time for that later."

"He's right you know we would have been dressed and ready to go if you hadn't tempted me."

Jack grinned as he climbed off Clare and quickly dressed beating Clare by a mere three minutes. Then they headed out the door, into what. they had no idea.
 
Last edited:
They fell on the bed, her beneath him as his cock throbbed against her stomach, calling to her.

God, I want you so badly Clare, imagine we have wasted two whole years, we have so much to catch up on, if it means making love to you two, three times a day then I will.

And with that he kissed her while reaching down to slide his member deep into her sex. She moaned as he made love to her, their bodies moving in time to each other, the beat of their heart becoming one. This was nothing like the first time with the frustration and anger that he had felt. This time was soft and sensual, his lips kissing hers, kissing her shoulders, and neck.

Finally, she allowed herself to accept sex with Jack, to actually enjoy it. The friction he was creating was driving her over the edge and she soon felt goosebumps as she came with him. She gave a little cry, then stopped, remembering that Charlie was just outside the door.

Come on you two, we have an appointment, there's plenty time for that later.

She blushed just knowing that Charlie had correctly guessed what they were doing. And the look that Jack gave her was a devious grin, pleased at what he had been caught doing.

He's right you know we would have been dressed and ready to go if you hadn't tempted me.

She swatted at Jack as he got up. "Just who tempted who? You are a very naughty man. Bringing me over to your evil ways." She laughed and quickly got dressed. And she would have beaten him getting dressed too if he had had to put on hose.

As the three of them left. She was a bit apprehensive, keeping a look out for the weasel man. She suspected that the big guy was probably incapacitated for the time being, but Weasel could still be out.

The ride to the address was quiet. Each of them lost in their own thoughts, they were there before they realized it. Climbing out of the car, Jack grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze. She looked at him, nervous, but he gave her a quick kiss before leading her on.
 
Their destination was an unassuming house in a tree lined avenue on the outskirts of the city, they climbed the four or five steps to the door, Charlie led the way with Jack and Clare just behind. A maid answered the door and asked them to wait in the library. A few minutes later a middle aged man entered.

"Good morning I am George McCarthy, what can I do for you? You sounded very mysterious on the telephone yesterday."

Jack stepped forward and introduced them one by one but when he came to Clare, McCarthy's eyes widened in delight,

"CORA!! How good to see you after all this time how are you?"

He gave Clare a what seemed a more than friendly hug, grasping her buttocks in both hands and kissing her on both cheeks.

"I'm sorry but this is not Cora but her twin sister, Clare, Cora is partly the reason we need to speak to you. unfortunately Cora died two years ago."

His face creased into disappointment and then sorrow.

"I am so sorry, you are the mirror image of Cora, please accept my condolences, as you are probably aware Cora worked for me part time sorting and arranging files while I worked on my machine, we had a very close relationship, she would attend to me personally and intimately whilst I was working then after a while we became somewhat involved but what has she to do with your mystery? You have still told me nothing."

"It's a long story probably take the rest of the morning to explain."

"Then we shall have some refreshment while you tell me."

He rang a bell for the maid and ordered coffee for them all.

"Sorry I can only offer coffee but I cannot abide tea like you English."

Once the coffee had been served they all made themselves comfortable while Jack told the story only leaving out his affair with Cora in the belief that it was Clare.

"EXTRAORDINARY, I can hardly believe that anyone would go to such lengths for a cheap trinket like this ring."

"We believe it is not the ring itself but what it contains."

Jack opened the ring and emptied out the tiny scrap of metal or whatever it was, onto the table.

McCarthy's eyes lit up excitedly "That is one of mine, I am sure of it"

"One of what?" asked Jack, nonplussed by their host's excitement.

"Follow me , I'll show you."

He led them to the rear of the house into what appeared to be a workshop , scattered about were papers, books, tiny screwdrivers and other tools. He went over to a machine with a small glass window on it and a flat glass plate in front. Placing the tiny scrap on the plate he swotched the machine on.

"Watch!" he said mysteriously.

The upright screen began to glow and then tiny figures and numbers appeared in the centre, too small to be read, slowly he turned a dial and the figures and numbers increased in size until they were large enough to read. He began turning another dial and the picture moved pwards like a roll of wallpaper unfolding.

"All that you see is contained on that tiny dot,can you believe it?"

Jack, Clare and Charlie had never seen anything like it and were astounded.

"Simply amazing, all that on that little scrap of whatever."

"Microfilm, my dear boy, I am working on a machine that will enable records to be kept on a series of film much like the one you have, the only problem is I have absolutely no idea what this film is."

Charlie who had worked in Military Intelligence throughout the war had been quiet up to then but he spoke up,

"Cipher, code, what it is about I don't know but clearly someone does and wants to get their hands on it, a good cryptographer could probably break it in a couple of days, then depending what it says they could threaten the security of our country.[/B]"

"So what do we do now?"

They all looked at one another in bemusement.
 
Last edited:
George McCarthy was not what she expected. Basically an unassuming middle aged guy, he greeted them just as confused as they were. That is, until he saw her. The greeting he gave her was very personal, his hands gripping her buttocks and enthusiastically kissing her. He must have missed her surprised look and Jack soon set him right as to just who she was. She wondered if he might be a bit "jealous" at someone being rather friendly with her. It did put her on edge, as did his next words.

I am so sorry, you are the mirror image of Cora, please accept my condolences, as you are probably aware Cora worked for me part time sorting and arranging files while I worked on my machine, we had a very close relationship, she would attend to me personally and intimately whilst I was working then after a while we became somewhat involved but what has she to do with your mystery? You have still told me nothing.

Her ears perked up. What? It sounded like not only was Cora sleeping with Jack, but sleeping with George McCarthy. So, maybe her baby had been George's instead of Jack's? Was that a possibility? That sounded just like something that Cora would do.

Soon they were sitting around drinking some atrocious stuff. She mainly held the cup in her hands and listened to the story that Jack told to George.

EXTRAORDINARY, I can hardly believe that anyone would go to such lengths for a cheap trinket like this ring."

"We believe it is not the ring itself but what it contains.


Once Jack showed him what they had found, the man went crazy, leading them back to his "workshop." Soon they were crowded around looking at just what had been printed very small looking at a bunch of letters and numbers, all jumbled up and not making sense to any of them. Save Charlie.

Cipher, code, what it is about I don't know but clearly someone does and wants to get their hands on it, a good cryptographer could probably break it in a couple of days, then depending what it says they could threaten the security of our country.

What the hell had Cora been mixed up in? Her twin had always been adventurous whereas Clare had been the quiet one. They sat around wondering what to do next. Finally, Clare spoke.

"We need to get this to the right people. There are men out there willing to torture just to get this. Evil men. George, you need to be careful too. We are all in danger because now that we all know about this microfilm, they can and will do anything to get it. Charlie, since you recognized what we may be holding, who can we get this to?"

She looked at Charlie. "And time could be important. We need to get this to the officials immediately!"
 
Even though Jack found McCarthy quite amiable and friendly he seethed inwardly at the way their host had manhandled 'HIS' Clare and then not only apologized but besmirched Cora's name, not saying it outright but intimating that he had been her lover. He held his tongue about that but told his story.
After the demonstration and Charlie's possible answer as to what the jumble of numbers and letters were.

"We need to get this to the right people. There are men out there willing to torture just to get this. Evil men. George, you need to be careful too. We are all in danger because now that we all know about this microfilm, they can and will do anything to get it. Charlie, since you recognized what we may be holding, who can we get this to?"And time could be important. We need to get this to the officials immediately!"

Clare had always been the one to do things the'Right way' and she made sense but Jack sensed that this would not prevent them from being the targets of future attempts on their lives.

"Hold on, if this is some secret document the secret service or whatever they call themselves nowadays are going to want to know how we got it, which brings us back to you George, how did it come to be on one of your microfilms?"

"I really don't know, Cora used to collect files that were to be destroyed and of no further use and I would use them to test my machine, "

"So you're laying the blame at Cora's door eh? Very convenient that she's not able to defend herself."

Jack was angry and upset because he also suspected Cora of something underhand but was too polite to say it.

"Look," Charlie interjected, "All documents have a heading or a title I could try and decipher the first couple of lines and maybe we can see what we've got, those bully boys obviously know or suspect it's important but if they're wrong and it's just rubbish, well,,,,,"

"YEAH RIGHT, they're going to believe us and then pull our fingernails out, a thought just occurred to me how did they know Cora had the microfilm in the first place unless she or someone else told them?"

Jack glared at McCarthy,

"If I had anything to do with it would I have shown you this? I could have just denied all knowledge."

Charlie tried to calm everyone down and suggested they hide the microfilm again and then decide what to do but leave officialdom out of it for now until they knew more. To which they all agreed.
 
She could tell that Jack was not happy with the way that this visit with George McCarthy was going. But was it because of her? Or Cora? Or both? For a moment, she was afraid that he would hit the man and was thankful for Charlie's offer to try and figure out just what may be on this small film.

Eventually it was decided to avoid official intervention and despite her belief that this was wrong, she agreed with everyone else. Apparently in the minority, she kept her opinions to her self and just nodded her head.

They sat around for a bit, each lost in their own thought. Hers were of her sister. Cora. What was Cora up to? Was she a spy, passing on information? Or a double agent, passing on false information in an attempt to outsmart the bad guys? She knew Cora better than anyone, though the information from George had surprised her. She had to admit that it should not have. All her life, her sister had wanted what Clare had. Was there a chance that she had straighten up and was trying to do right? Or was Cora just as she had always been? Two timing her sister? Two timing her two lovers?

Finally, she spoke up first.

"So, just what do we do next?"
 
Ever practical, Clare was the first to ask the question they had all been asking themselves,

'So, just what do we do next?'

Jack shook his head. "To tell the truth I have no idea, we can't go to the authorities until we know what that microfilm contains, obviously Weasel face and his companion knew and they were prepared to murder,,,,,,,,or worse for it."

He glanced at Clare, not wishing to remind her of her ordeal at the warehouse.

Charlie offered them a scrap of hope when he declared,

"I still have contacts in the service , Intelligence I mean, I could ask one I have in mind, a thoroughly decent fellow, ask him hypothetically what to do, that's the best I can offer."

"I have an idea but it will be time consuming but four of us we can cut the time down and we may get lucky."
At last something positive from McCarthy.

"Come on then smartypants, what's this brilliant idea?"

Jack sneered, his dislike evident.

"All my research is filed in date order, the files consist of the paper originals and the micro film that was taken of those originals for comparison. We need to go through those files until we find the paper original without any microfilm attached."

"Best idea so far, shouldn't take too long to go through these files where are they?"
Charlie was enthusiastic and eager to get started.

George led them down some stairs into a room lined with filing cabinets, about twenty in all.

They all groaned it looked a mammoth task.

"It's not as bad as it looks, Cora only worked for me for about six months, two years ago, so we should concentrate on those dates."

"And when did you first get her into your bed?"

Jack snapped angrily, peeved that this paunchy middle aged Yank had been sleeping with Cora at the same time as he had.

"Jack, you seem to be as interested in Cora's love life as you are in Clare's, no conflict of interests is there?

He smiled serenely and set about finding the correct filing cabinets.

There were three filing cabinets to be checked each holding about five hundred files.

"You can help me Clare, a woman's touch is always welcome."

Much to Jack's chagrin he stole Clare from under his nose as there was no real reason for her to refuse.
From time to time Jack glanced over at Clare and McCarthy and fumed inwardly as McCarthy seemed to be getting closer to Clare than was necessary. Then although it seemed accidental Jack had no doubt it was deliberate. Clare was on her haunches with her skirt hiked up over her knees when George bumped her and she went sprawling on her back, her dress rode up several inches displaying the tops of her stockings and bare thighs. McCarthy grinned triumphantly at Jack and helped Clare to her feet, full of apologies but his hands dusted her down, sliding over her breasts and her backside, all seeming quite innocent.

Jack was preparing to square up to McCarthy when Charlie exclaimed,

"GOT IT, I'VE FUCKIN' GOT IT"

He held aloft a sheaf of papers with jumbled letters and numbers on it,

"Wait, it's got a title in plain language,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "

He read the title and the blood drained from his face,

"OH MY GOOD LORD!!"
 
I have an idea but it will be time consuming but four of us we can cut the time down and we may get lucky.

George had some idea, but before anyone could say anything, Jack made a terse reply.

Come on then smartypants, what's this brilliant idea?

Clare looked over at Jack. His attitude had changed and she began to wonder if perhaps Jack wasn't still besotted with Cora.

All my research is filed in date order, the files consist of the paper originals and the micro film that was taken of those originals for comparison. We need to go through those files until we find the paper original without any microfilm attached.

It was decided that this was a good idea and George led them off to his file room, where the enormity of it threatened to overwhelm them. But George told them that they only need narrow it down to a six month period.

And when did you first get her into your bed?

Clare softly gasped, shocked at Jack's bitter comeback. What George said next actually echoed what she was thinking.

Jack, you seem to be as interested in Cora's love life as you are in Clare's, no conflict of interests is there? You can help me Clare, a woman's touch is always welcome.

She walked over and began helping George, upset at the way that Jack had been acting. She totally ignored him, concentrating on the task at hand. She should have left after Cora died, forgotten about Jack and started over again. Because it was obvious that he could not let her twin go.

She lost her balance when George brushed up against her and she fell back on her butt on the floor. The file room was dusty and dirty and George was gracious enough to help her up and dusted her off. Suddenly, Charlie was jumping up and screaming his success.

GOT IT, I'VE FUCKIN' GOT IT. Wait, it's got a title in plain language,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, OH MY GOOD LORD!!

The young man looked as if he was going to be sick. They all crowded around him, wanting to know the answer. But from his reaction, whatever it was was something that ferret face and his "friends" would want. Something told her that the end was not in sight. Nevertheless, tonight, she was going to have to have a talk with Jack. If he was going to carry on like he had been about Cora, then they were through. She was not going to fight with a ghost. He could not own both women. And she knew with a certainty that had their places been changed, Cora would say the exact same thing.

Her thoughts turned back to Charlie and the file in his hand. "Come on, Charlie, what is it?"
 
Jack didn't know what made him sneer at McCarthy when he almost gleefully revealed that he had been sleeping with Cora and that meant he would know every inch of Clare's body as well, Jack could recall his nights with Cora/Clare as if it were yesterday and he grew hard thinking of her bucking underneath him gasping 'Yes Jack, oh god yes! JUST THERE, YESS , oh fuck me hard baby.'. Of course at the time he had believed it was Clare but Cora had left a lasting impression on him, if he compared the two, Cora was wild and exciting, unpredictable, whereas Clare by comparison was more staid and predictable but she had given herself completely to him only last night but now this interloper had stirred up those memories. Jack consoled himself with the thought that he had been the first for both sisters and he had beaten McCarthy to Cora's innocence. That didn't change the fact that he could tell that Clare was angry with him, she ignored him and had meekly gone with the American when he suggested that she help him and then manipulated the 'accident' causing Clare to show practically everything to him then he had the gall to rub her breasts and backside.

Charlie's excited shout brought him back to reality and they crowded round Charlie to find out what he had found.

"OH MY GOOD LORD!!"

Charlie's face was ashen and his hand shook.

"No wonder those goons wanted this so bad even though it's two years out of date there must be enough information to cost dozens of lives."

"Well, what is it?" Jack snapped, snatching the file from Charlie's trembling hand.

'
TOP SECRET
EUROPEAN AGENTS EXPENSES AND ACCOUNTS
'

"How the hell did this get here? Somebody's head has to roll for this, we have to get this to Whitehall as soon as we can , we can't let ANYONE get their hands on it no matter what."

They all agreed except McCarthy seemed reluctant to let the microfilm go saying that it was part of his research.

Charlie however was adamant,

"I don't care if you need it to wipe your arse with , it's coming with us."

They called a taxi and piled in, not noticing the black limousine following them.
 
Clare sat in the back seat of the taxi, wedged between George and Jack. George had his arm along the back of the seat behind her. Almost natural. She really didn't think anything about it.

But it must have bothered Jack. He quickly put his hand on her knee. She was getting fed up with this war. The way things were going, she didn't want anything to do with either of them. Charlie sat up front with the driver, and she was starting to wish that she could trade places with him.

"Hey, you guys pick up a tail?"

It grew quiet in the cab and Clare's heart starting beating faster.

" He's just been following us turn for turn. Could be wrong, but I don't think so." The cab driver made a turn at the next corner. "Watch."

Jack and George looked over their shoulders and Charlie watched in the side mirror. The car followed them.

"Have they found us?" She was apprehensive. Shit! Forget apprehensive. She was scared! What were they going to do! She grabbed Jack's hand and squeezed it hard.
 
Back
Top