Seeking writers for survival RP

WildBill2015

Really Experienced
Joined
Jan 18, 2015
Posts
102
PLEASE DO NOT POST TO THIS THREAD.
TO MANAGE THE GAME, I NEED THIS THREAD "CLEAN".
CONTACT THE HOST ABOUT JOINING.


Survival: DPRK

A pseudo-real time survival game
and
Role Play Wrapped Into One:

The Basic Concept:
  • After a plane crash, 50 people are stranded in the rugged, snow covered mountains of North Korea (the DPRK).
  • They will have limited and quickly dwindling resources with which to survive.
  • They will also have a very minimal amount of assistance from the outside world.
  • First order of business: survive the winter!
  • Second order of business: escape North Korean!
  • "Survival: DPRK" is both "pseudo"-real time game and creative role play, giving Players an opportunity to simply post Character actions or create detailed role play postings or both.
  • BTW, the choice of North Korea is not political, it is logistical: I needed a location where a rescue attempt would be politically impossible, and the DPRK fit the bill.
"Pseudo"-Real Time?
  • The "game" portion of the role play keeps pace with the real world calendar.
  • Each week in the real world will see the passage of a week in the Game.
  • The "pseudo" part of "real time" means that:
    • Although each real world week will see the passage of a game week, each day in the game does not necessarily correspond to a real world day.
    • A grace period of 1-2 days will usually accompany most of the events to which your Characters should respond.
    • Because of this grace period, players do not have to reply the very day of the event but can instead respond before or after it, as will be further detailed with each event.
[*]The amount of time you spend in a detailed, creative role play with another Player is up to you and your writing partner.
[*]The more often you check on and/or reply for your Characters, the more control you have over their actions and destiny.
[*]Not checking on/replying for your Characters for several days in a row can mean:
  • Missing opportunities to decide upon and/or direct the fate of your Character.
  • Missing opportunities to collect valuable resources and/or gain valuable experience for your Character.
  • Causing a temporary loss of control over your Character's actions, in which case the Host will direct your Character's actions on your behalf as necessary..
  • Or, possibly, even causing the death of your Character if he or she was in a hazardous way and you did nothing to save him/her.
Game vs. Role Play:
  • The Game portion:
    • Is mandatory for all PCs and NPCs adopted by Players.
    • Either you act for your PCs/NPCs or, if necessary, the Host will.
    • PCs/NPCs who are inactive for too long will revert to General Population NPC (GPNPC) status, and GPNPCs are expendable. This means that if an event leads to the death of a random GPNPC, the Character you once played could very well die.
    • Game play will include short posts that are primarily descriptions of basic actions/decisions taken by your Character.
    • As a rule of thumb, I would recommend that you check on and/or post for your character 4-5 times a week.
    • Reading and responding to Game Play Updates shouldn't take you more than 10-15 minutes per visit.
  • The Role Play portion:
    • Is not mandatory.
    • Role Play allows you to delve deeper into your Character's situation via creative writing with or without a writing partner.
    • Role Play will occur in separate threads outside of and linked to the Game Thread.
    • No detailed, back and forth, multi-post role play is to occur within the Game Thread.
    • Role Play may or may not lead to additional Game Play options and/or bonus resources and/or gained experience. There is no guarantee.
    Characters:
    • Initially, there will be 50 available plane crash survivors.
    • They all begin as General Population Non-Player Characters (GPNPCs) with little if any profile description.
    • Players can adopt as many as 5 characters, either as very involved Player Characters (PCs) or less involved Non-Player Characters (NPCs):
      • Player Characters (PCs):
        • PCs must be posted for at least 3 times a week.
        • PCs collect resources and experience with which they can better survive and thrive.
        • PCs are more protected from the dangers of current situations and events than NPCs or, particularly, GPNPCs.
        • However, if you do something stupid with or to your PC, he/she can still suffer grave injury or even die. So don't think they are invincible.
      • Non-Player Characters (NPCs):
        • NPCs are posted for when they are involved in events.
        • Typically, NPCs are spare bodies that are under the supervision of one of your PCs. For example, if you have a PC who patrols the perimeter, an NPC might be his/her sidekick.
        • NPC actions are typically part of their associated PC's reply.
        • NPCs don't typically collect resources, but they can collect experience.
        • NPCs are more protected from danger, but if tragedy strikes while they are with their supervising PC, the NPC will often take most of the damage.
        • NPCs, therefore, can die is you put them in a dangerous situation.
      • General Population NPCs:
        • GPNPCs are generally managed by the Host.
        • They are the fodder for the cannons when tragedy strikes.
        • You may think to yourself that they don't matter, but keep two things in mind:
          • Con: They use up valuable resources that your PCs and NPCs might want to use.
          • Pro: They perform routine tasks -- such as collecting the resources your PCs and NPCs use -- which frees up your PCs/NPCs to perform more important tasks.
    • Once we are up and running:
      • Established Players can adopt additional GPNPCs as either PCs or NPCs.
      • And new Players can join at any time and adopt GPNPCs as well.
    The Player(s) For Whom I Seek:
    • "S:DPRK" is both a Game and a Role Play.
    • All Players must engage in the Game portion, but engagement in Role Play is an option.
    • As explained, you should post for your PCs (and NPCs if you have them) at least 4 times a week.
    • This does not mean 4 posts in one day: your posts should be spread across the week as is appropriate for the current events and situations.
    The Tragedy:
    • A commercial airliner bound from Beijing to Seoul disappears over the Yellow Sea.
    • Signals from the black boxes pinpoint the plane's location in the water, but ships and planes from North Korea -- the DPRK -- are preventing search and rescue efforts.
    • It is feared that the 160 passengers and 8 crew are lost.
    The Secrets:
    • Unknown outside a top secret CIA operation, the plane was diverted into North Korean space, where it was promptly downed by a DPRK missile.
    • While the DPRK search teams are searching in the wrong location for what they expect to be shredded wreckage, the CIA knows the exact location of the plane, which actually crash landed in relatively good condition.
    • Despite knowing the location of the plane and the fact that there are survivors, the CIA is not mounting a rescue attempt.
    The Radio:
    • The CIA is, however, in contact with a crash survivor via a burst transmission radio.
    • The radio would normally be undetectable by anyone except the CIA operation except that it was damaged in the crash.
    • To keep the DPRK from triangulating the radio's location:
      • Only texts can be sent. No voice communications.
      • Texts must be restricted to a maximum of 50 characters.
      • Radio use must be restricted to once ever three days or more.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top