The Living Works of Art Challenge

JRPerrone

The Curator
I’ve come up with what I think is a fun idea for a thread. A little challenge for the men of lit, for the viewing pleasure of the lovely ladies of lit.

There are many well-known works of art that are based on the male human form. I thought we could reverse the process and pose to emulate those works. Here’s what I propose: every week I will select an iconic work of art. Men, your job over the ensuing week will be to post a shot of yourself posing in your best rendition of said work of art.

Ladies, sit back and enjoy, or chime in and encourage us.

So, on to Challenge #1, an obvious choice: The statue of David, by Michelangelo.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...JPG/250px-'David'_by_Michelangelo_JBU0001.JPG

Go ahead, guys, show us your best ‘David’. I will post my own rendition sometime over the weekend.

Last edited:
lol, It's funny you picked the Statue of David, because I already have one handy.
Way back in my full frontal Superbowl bet thread, as part of my loss, I did a full frontal pic, and in a coincidence, decided to pose in my closest approximation to David.

Here is the result I came up with.
I'm not quite as well sculpted as David himself, but I hope the ladies don't mind. :D

Last edited:
I’ve come up with what I think is a fun idea for a thread. A little challenge for the men of lit, for the viewing pleasure of the lovely ladies of lit.

There are many well-known works of art that are based on the male human form. I thought we could reverse the process and pose to emulate those works. Here’s what I propose: every week I will select an iconic work of art. Men, your job over the ensuing week will be to post a shot of yourself posing in your best rendition of said work of art.

So, on to Challenge #1, an obvious choice: The statue of David, by Michelangelo.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...JPG/250px-'David'_by_Michelangelo_JBU0001.JPG

Go ahead, guys, show us your best ‘David’. I will post my own rendition sometime over the weekend.
Sweet, I'm in!!! Who doesn't love living art? :nana:
lol, It's funny you picked the Statue of David, because I already have one handy.
Way back in my full frontal Superbowl bet thread, as part of my loss, I did a full frontal pic, and in a coincidence, decided to pose in my closest approximation to David.

I'm not quite as well sculpted as David himself, but I hope the ladies don't mind. :D

You did a wonderful job Ecto, thank you!!! :kiss:

I abdolutely love this idea! And will do my best to make an addition if my own asap. Nice first addition echo!

Love,
- St

I ADORE this idea! Thanks!

Woohoo! Love it! :kiss:

This is such a FANTASTIC idea and one I hope is a great success . I am already exited about challenge #1. I always thought i was more of a painting/architecture girl over sculpture but the first time I saw David, it changed. It's incredible what Michelangelo did with with a block of marble. It really did feel like David would step off the podium at any moment and that if I were to reach out and touch him, he would feel warm and not like cold stone.
So Bravo JRP.
Looking forward to your rendition.

I think you did a fantastic job, Ecto. Here is your liquorice candy.:kiss:

I abdolutely love this idea! And will do my best to make an addition if my own asap. Nice first addition echo!

Love,
- St
Yay. Cmon St. Looking forward to your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you did a fantastic job, Ecto. Here is your liquorice candy.:kiss:

*grins big*

Hehe, I'm very amused knowing you considered giving me licorice, which means you've been reading my recent posts. :D

This is a brilliant idea for a thread! Great pic from EJ :) Looking forward to yours too, JRP ;)

I just persuaded H to pose for 'David'. Here it is:

UP5Kt0N.jpg

My attempt

Thanks Ecto and H for your great (and brave) entries. Alas, I am not quite so brave so I opted for the traditional fig leaf (OK, it's actually a grape leaf, not many fig trees in my part of the world). I actually took a couple of shots without the leaf, but then chickened out when it came time to post.

It was a lot harder than I thought to capture the essence of David. Not sure my attempt is all that convincing. A couple of things I noticed along the way is that David has impossibly large hands and a really long neck. He looks way more relaxed than me, too.

Attachments

• IMG_2742.JPG
    IMG_2742.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 1
*grins big*

Hehe, I'm very amused knowing you considered giving me licorice, which means you've been reading my recent posts. :D

Haha, actually I hadn't . But since you mentioned, I went back and looked . I was referring to our candy conversation and wait, I recall you not even liking the black variant. I was the one who liked salmiakki.
This is a brilliant idea for a thread! Great pic from EJ :) Looking forward to yours too, JRP ;)

Goodness!
Oh Numi, I mean he looks fantastic ofcourse but the shadows and lighting on this one. It's gorgeous. Great job on the photograph. And :kiss::kiss:for the stunning HB.

Thanks Ecto and H for your great (and brave) entries. Alas, I am not quite so brave so I opted for the traditional fig leaf (OK, it's actually a grape leaf, not many fig trees in my part of the world). I actually took a couple of shots without the leaf, but then chickened out when it came time to post.

It was a lot harder than I thought to capture the essence of David. Not sure my attempt is all that convincing. A couple of things I noticed along the way is that David has impossibly large hands and a really long neck. He looks way more relaxed than me, too.

I love this pose JRP even though you did embark on a Fig leaf campaign. :D
Also, I thought your attempt was really convincing and you looked fantastic

Last edited by a moderator:
Really great thread idea.
Ectojohn, hornblende and JRPerrone I really liked your David renditions.

Haha, actually I hadn't . But since you mentioned, I went back and looked . I was referring to our candy conversation and wait, I recall you not even liking the black variant. I was the one who liked salmiakki.

No, I like black licorice.
I'm one of the weirdos that do. :D
I guess some wires got crossed in conversation.
I have never had authentic salmiakki.
Isn't that more of a salted licorice flavor?

Thanks. :)

No, I like black licorice.
I'm one of the weirdos that do. :D
I guess some wires got crossed in conversation.
I have never had authentic salmiakki.
Isn't that more of a salted licorice flavor?

Had to look back in my PM history, but I found what I said about salmiakki vs black licorice.

I hear about salmiakki often, but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. I'd almost be scared to try it, though, because I like black licorice, but am afraid of the salt ruining it. I have heard people who like licorice not liking salmiakki, and US candy tends to be more on the sugary sweet end of the taste spectrum as far as I'm aware. One of these days, though, I'll have to order some real salmiakki. You never know until you try something, right?

So I like black licorice, but am unsure about salmiakki.

Thanks Ecto and H for your great (and brave) entries. Alas, I am not quite so brave so I opted for the traditional fig leaf (OK, it's actually a grape leaf, not many fig trees in my part of the world).

I'll bite. Or the ladies might. ;) :devil:

attachment.php

Great idea JRP. You're grape leaf was still braver than my shot. I have another idea to try during the remainder of the week but after getting two direct requests and encouragement from a third source I thought I should put something up tonight.

Cheers

Attachments

• The Darkside of David.jpg
    The Darkside of David.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 7
I love this pose JRP even though you did embark on a Fig leaf campaign. :D
Also, I thought your attempt was really convincing and you looked fantastic

aww, Lizzie, you are always so sweet to me.

Thanks Icy. Stick around, there is lots more to come

Great idea JRP. You're grape leaf was still braver than my shot. I have another idea to try during the remainder of the week but after getting two direct requests and encouragement from a third source I thought I should put something up tonight.

Cheers

Nice 'back door' version, HR.

It is really cool that I am hearing this thread has created some buzz. I am hearing that ladies are contacting their favorite gentlemen of lit and encouraging them to join in. Others have mentioned discussing it among friends.

I have already got Challenges 2 - 5 selected, so I hope you all are in this for the long haul.

If you have a particular favorite work of art in mind that fits the theme and you would like me to consider it for a future challenge, drop me a note in a PM.

Thanks all for playing along.

This is a great idea for a thread. You've all made great contributions. I wish I could be that daring.

I don't mind, in fact, I like.

UP5Kt0N.jpg

H looks like a model alright.

With the leaf, more Adam than David, but nice to see.

attachment.php

Cheers

There is another side to the sculpture, so we have it covered from all angles. Nice.

Outstanding!!! :heart:

Great job!! :kiss:

Cheers

Awesome!! :heart:

Can't wait to see more men participate!

Love it, JRP, a very pleasing rendition, in lots of ways. You do look relaxed to me, although I agree with you that it's really difficult to 'hold a relaxed pose', as it were. I've always thought David's hands looked outsized too.

Glad to hear you have the next challenges sorted out. Is Rodin's "Thinker" one of them?

attachment.php

Cheers

I like the rear view approach, HR, very nice arse ;) I always go round the back of a sculpture - seems a waste not to when it's a three dimensional thing. The Venus de Milo has a beautiful bum, for example.

Are you teasing us that there will a front or near-front version too, though? I'll add my vote for that :)

Love it, JRP, a very pleasing rendition, in lots of ways. You do look relaxed to me, although I agree with you that it's really difficult to 'hold a relaxed pose', as it were. I've always thought David's hands looked outsized too.

Glad to hear you have the next challenges sorted out. Is Rodin's "Thinker" one of them?

Thanks Numeniusa,

David has a bit of a sinuous posture that I can't replicate due to several injuries to my lower back over the years. Yes, "Thinker" is on the list, but not next up.

I'm convinced! Putting your own essence will make it different from David anyway so this is a fabulous spin on it, thank you!!

Cheers

Rogue!! Thank you for the butt version!! SPANK!!! ;)

Back