What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
UD gets his economy advice from the Huffington Post

More credible sources will understand that printing money doesn't bode well for a prosperous economy.

By ALAN S. BLINDER , professor of economics at Princeton University

How’s the economy, you ask?

I have the proverbial good news and bad news, but in this case, they’re exactly the same: The U.S. economy appears to be hitting bottom.

The alternative [ to a free market system ] is that the Third Deputy Assistant to the Fifth Director of the Second Minister of the Secretary of The Bureau of Snoofles in The Department of Horse Supplies decides that snoofles are no longer a state priority. As a result, the snoofle factory is ordered to reduce their production. Since the price of snoofles cannot be permitted to vary and the underlying demand for snoofles is unchanged, block-long lines of horses at the snoofle store are subsequently the norm each and every day. The "black market" for snoofles thrives.

<snipped to spare everyone's eyeballs>

Have you really been here for 4 years without anybody mentioning that your posting style is totally fucked up and obnoxious?

Because it is.

LOL.

The market was tanking when it looked like Obama could get his agenda passed.

The stimulus bill passed on February 14th. The Dow was around 7800 at the time, roughly where it was when he was elected.

The market then went down to 6500 in the next 15 trading days, a 16% drop.

That seemed to remind people that too much government help was, well, too much, so we haven't seen too many more bad ideas and the market is happier :)

Errrr...so since that big drop after the following fifteen days from Feb. 14th, Obama hasn't been getting his agendas passed? If there aren't "many more bad ideas," what's all the fussin' and fightin' about?

It appears that his stimulus agenda was passed and the market is working because of that, so...not really sure what you're LOLing about, unless you're LOLing with me at those idiots who were screaming about the end of the world at the beginning of the year.

heh heh heh...the end of the world at the beginning of the year. I made a funny.

LOL

http://crooksandliars.com/jon-perr/10-lessons-for-tea-baggers

2. The Stimulus is Working

A prime target of Bagger bashing, the $787 billion stimulus package passed over the near-total obstructionism of Congressional Republicans is already paying huge dividends for the economy.

To be sure, at 9.7% the unemployment rate remains dismal. But the impact of ARRA and other government actions extends well beyond the Obama administration's claim it has created or preserved one million jobs to date. As I documented in August:

After steep declines of 5.4% and 6.4% in the previous two quarters, gross domestic product fell only 1% in the last three months. And while the ARRA overall added "up to 3 full percentage points of annualized growth in the quarter," President Obama's stimulus helped precisely where it was needed most - rescuing devastated state budgets.

Earlier this month, the reliably Republican Wall Street Journal agreed the Obama administration has helped stem the bleeding from the Bush Recession:

Many forecasters say stimulus spending is adding two to three percentage points to economic growth in the second and third quarters, when measured at an annual rate. The impact in the second quarter, calculated by analyzing how the extra funds flowing into the economy boost consumption, investment and spending, helped slow the rate of decline and will lay the groundwork for positive growth in the third quarter -- something that seemed almost implausible just a few months ago. Some economists say the 1% contraction in the second quarter would have been far worse, possibly as much as 3.2%, if not for the stimulus.

For the third quarter, economists at Goldman Sachs & Co. predict the U.S. economy will grow by 3.3%. "Without that extra stimulus, we would be somewhere around zero," said Jan Hatzius, chief U.S. economist for Goldman.

LOL LOL LOL LOLZzzzzzzzzz...:eek:

The stimulus bill passed on February 14th. The Dow was around 7800 at the time, roughly where it was when he was elected.

The market then went down to 6500 in the next 15 trading days, a 16% drop.

Ah those halycon 15 days in February....how excited you must've been (in fairness, Karen Kraft had pudding panties too back then). It seemed the world was going to hell, and you'd be able to blame Obama's policies for everything that was wrong in the world....

Life was simpler then, no?

With the Dow climbing near 10,000 again what's happened to all of the dire, end of the world ravings of our resident "conservative" economists?

Where is all of this inflation we were warned about? According to reports the Consumer Price Index is down 1.5% overall from last year. Despite Augusts increase in prices, gasoline is still down 30% from the high a year ago.

Despite the dire warnings of some of Lit's resident math wizards the Chinese are still very much interested in buying US Treasury securities.

I guess the sky isn't falling after all. :cool:

It would have gotten better had Obama stepped out of the way.

Errrr...so since that big drop after the following fifteen days from Feb. 14th, Obama hasn't been getting his agendas passed? If there aren't "many more bad ideas," what's all the fussin' and fightin' about?

Check it out yourself. Here's a list of what's been passed by Congress this year. The majority of the bills since March have involved naming post offices. Seriously. The biggest changes were the consumer credit changes, meaning nothing much.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/L?d111:./list/bd/d111pl.lst:1[1-62](Public_Laws)|TOM:/bss/d111query.html|

Three quarters of the stimulus money hasn't been spent, and yet the economy is getting better. Sounds like the stimulus was four times too big, and that unnecessary 75% is bigger than any deficit in a year Bush was president.

Ah those halycon 15 days in February....how excited you must've been (in fairness, Karen Kraft had pudding panties too back then). It seemed the world was going to hell, and you'd be able to blame Obama's policies for everything that was wrong in the world....

Life was simpler then, no?

I would be delighted to see Obama quit with the bad ideas. But in the absence of him doing so, I can't start seeing them as good ideas. All I can really hope for is they don't become laws.

BTW that's not a knock on Obama the person, it's on the policies. You won't see me offering much criticism of Clinton's policies, though I will note that the worst of Clinton's ideas also didn't get passed, with the congress Republican for most of those years. You remember those, the ones where the deficit went away.

It's the remnants of freedom prevailing in the economic arena despite their government not because of it.:rolleyes:

Nice self-serving face save! When things are going good in the face of opposite party non-adversity, just count on it being because of those "remnants of freedom prevailing."

It's almost like how those three lone guys using three antiquated Harrier jets destroyed the entire alien conquering force in "Battlefield Earth" after that same alien armada took over the WHOLE FUCKING PLANET years earlier. Somehow, someway, through the power of deus ex machina, those "remnants of freedom" saved the day! :D

You do realize that those "remnants of freedom" in the economic arena are the same ones who abused the freedom of deregulation that got us into this mess in the first place, don'tcha? Those "remnants of freedom" in the economic arena got some pretty juicy bonuses for taking advantage of our freedom.

While you temporize, rationalize, hem and haw, the world votes with its feet:

attachment.php

Attachments

• USD-SFR.jpg
    USD-SFR.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:

His agenda is just getting started, where have you been? He's been floating his crap and tax and health care all year.

Stop fantasying about cocks and pick up a paper once in a while.... maybe you and your life partner are too fixated on gay marriage. He’s letting the gays down as well. What a disaster and before you think im happy about this, think again.

(I'm guessing you don't know how to tell the value of the dollar, so you get a pass on that one.)

the dollar isn't particularly weak against the pound, not like it was two years ago... oh happy days of shopping the States ;)

Look around kid, unemployment is still high, the commercial real estate market is on the verge of collapse, Obama has tripled Bush's deficit, inflation looms, trade war with China, into this he throws higher taxes. He told us he wouldn't raise taxes on Americans earning $250,000 or less by a single dime, but his cap and trade will cost them thousands a year and his health care plan will cost them more thousands a year and give them less care in return. By all means keep hanging your cap on this fading star, it's over for Obama.

I'm sorry, we just started having bad times when...? After Obama got elected? Before?

Gosh, I'm so fuzzy on it now...everybody like you keeps alluding to some rosy, unicorns & lollipops recent past where everything was perfect and good...kinda hard to recall that, especially when plenty of people were struggling with the same problems of now, if not even in a worse way...

His agenda is just getting started, where have you been? He's been floating his crap and tax and health care all year.

Stop fantasying* about cocks and pick up a paper once in a while.... maybe you and your life partner are too fixated on gay marriage. He’s letting the gays down as well. What a disaster and before you think im happy about this, think again.

There you go again, Faneros, still painfully smarting about me indirectly clowning your penis size (because you keep bringing it up) while trying to pretend you have a big boy's-table voice here. By the way, you are horrible at your dissing. Were you saving up that weak gay attack or did you just pull it out of your brain thinking, "yeah, THIS'll make him feel bad! hyuk!"

I've been following Obama's presidency just fine, thank you very much for your fail. You can now go back to being that guy in the background bumping his fist in the air and blurting out a "yeah!" everytime someone says something. As forgettable and disposable as your persona is, it's still a part of the online community here. ;)

* it's spelled fantasizing, you bitch-assed dimwit.

Last edited:
I can think of one more example. The democratically elected government of Iran did not go out of existence because Iranians voted too lavish benefits. It was overthrown by a CIA engineered coup that installed the Shah of Iran as an absolute monarch. The Shah was never a popular dictator. By installing him in power the CIA guaranteed that when he was overthrown the people of Iran hated us.

Well, I was thinking of republics/democracies which self-destructed -- and, come to think of it, should not have mentioned Allende's Chile in that company either.

Why didn't Republicans complain when GW started two wars while cutting taxes?

The Bush Administration contributed in tripling the Federal budget deficit. It surely was an embarassment to genuine, fiscally conservative Republicans but they are a very rare creature indeed. Most Republican office-holders are no different than their counterparts from a fiscal standpoint - they have no discipline and no compunction to change the system.

So, Republicans didn't complain because they luvs ta spend da money, too. They just don't want it to be their money.

I'm sorry, we just started having bad times when...? After Obama got elected? Before?

Gosh, I'm so fuzzy on it now...everybody like you keeps alluding to some rosy, unicorns & lollipops recent past where everything was perfect and good...kinda hard to recall that, especially when plenty of people were struggling with the same problems of now, if not even in a worse way...

There you go again, Faneros, still painfully smarting about me indirectly clowning your penis size (because you keep bringing it up) while trying to pretend you have a big boy's-table voice here. By the way, you are horrible at your dissing. Were you saving up that weak gay attack or did you just pull it out of your brain thinking, "yeah, THIS'll make him feel bad! hyuk!"

I've been following Obama's presidency just fine, thank you very much for your fail. You can now go back to being that guy in the background bumping his fist in the air and blurting out a "yeah!" everytime someone says something. As forgettable and disposable as your persona is, it's still a part of the online community here. ;)

* it's spelled fantasizing, you bitch-assed dimwit.

Wow, I spelled a word wrong..........:rolleyes:

They're calling you back to the warehouse, more shelves to stock this morning, get back to work IrezumiPiss

Wow, I spelled a word wrong..........:rolleyes:

They're calling you back to the warehouse, more shelves to stock this morning, get back to work IrezumiPiss

I'm sorry, Faneros. Did you "misunderestimate" my visit? I was there to check up on management, not work beside you. There's a reason you wear top-to-bottom brown company-label-stitched-on-the-shirt-pocket gabardine with black sneakers and I'm in a suit, silk tie and Italian leather shoes, helllllooo? Your supervisor told me an interesting story, though. He says you haven't been licking his hairy ballsack when you're down on your knees between his legs. Said something about you squirming away or some shit like a little baby not eating its strained vegetables while his palms are guiding your matty head down south. That ain't right, boy. You know it ain't right.

I think if you value your employment, you best go that extra mile. There's lots of people who could do your job in this economic climate, you'd have a care if you don't want to blow your landlord again for coming up short with the rent.

Steady climb after hitting the basement:

chrtsrv.dll

Obama must be ding something right.

He stopped the freefall and things are recovering, slowly.

Steady climb after hitting the basement:

chrtsrv.dll

Obama must be ding something right.

He stopped the freefall and things are recovering, slowly.

That chart speaks to a near-zero-interest environment more than anything Obama's done. The ISM is a better proxy, but even that isn't Obama's doing, but rather the result of injecting gobs of stimulus money into the system in an effort to stave off the worst-case scenario.

That chart speaks to a near-zero-interest environment more than anything Obama's done. The ISM is a better proxy, but even that isn't Obama's doing, but rather the result of injecting gobs of stimulus money into the system in an effort to stave off the worst-case scenario.

I know the President really doesn't have much effect on the economy, but since this thread and others blame Obama for the economy, he must be doing something right.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back