The King and I (closed)

"You can either bore yourself with planning this coronation or I can let you have the afternoon off." Charlie said as she looked over at him with a grin. "I figured you would jump at the chance to have some time off."
 
"Ha! Brave words. There is no such thing as an afternoon off. But I will jump at the chance to avoid more planning. Really Charlie, you are planning so much on this coronation, it is almost like something that only happens once in an eon."

He rested his head against the headrest, "But spending a bit of time with mom and actually getting into the pool will help before I have to read those dreary reports and re-check declarations."
 
"It's the start of your legacy, Dave. Everything has to be perfect." Charlie said as Dave tried to brush it all off. "Send those dreary reports to your council and let them handle it. Take the day off and enjoy the fact that you have nothing pressing to do."
 
"Those dreary reports comes from the council and you know how those old bats gets when you don't seem to take their work seriously even if it was the army of assistants each one employs who actually did the work."

He chuckled, "Almost like I trust in you to keep my cogs oiled. Must be why those false accusations against you surfaced all of a sudden."
 
Charlie suddenly turned grim at the mention of the accusations against her. "Those that want to see me fail are some of your worst enemies, Dave. They would rather see you alone and vulnerable than with people around you that can help in those tough times. A bullet is a lot cheaper than many other options that they might have."
 
"Or is it? If you look at the position we are in now. If they take me out, you could spark a civil war. I don't want to seem like I am tooting my own horn here, but I can see that some of the people like my plans to rule, some respect me for what I have done already and some..."

He looked at her as he continued, "Some love me."

He looked outside then, "So the cheapest would be to mess up an assassination and try to get you out of the picture. Through you, they can finger various of the staff. And that is one reason why I need to read those reports Charlie. I know that my answer lies somewhere close to the throat of our kingdom."
 
"You'll make the wrong person mad." Charlie said softly as she reached over to take his hand, squeezing it tightly. "And then you'll be right back at the wrong end of a bullet. We need to think this through, Dave. Very, very carefully."
 
He held her hand just as tight as they drove through the streets, looking at the small worried creases on her face. "I will be careful and we will also have to be very wily about this. First we ferret out our rat and then use a falcon to capture it. I don't have to be involved and neither do you...although you will be the perfect ferret."
 
"I can only do so much, but I can make sure that the wrong people are never allowed around you." Charlie promised as she squeezed his hand, leaning across the seat to kiss his cheek. "I never want to see you on the ground again. My heart can't take that a second time."
 
He patted her hand, "I doubt that my ribs would want that again as well."

He gave her a small smile as the car came to a stop and he waited for the door to be opened for him, waggling his eyebrows at her and then winking, "Can't say I don't try to please."

He got out of the car and accepted the warm coat to cover the wet clothing, he looked around once more and then headed for the steps when Charlie joined him.
 
Charlie knew that she was going to keep her relationship with Dave as private as possible. The public didn't need to know what went on between the both of them. She would retain that sense of privacy as much as she could as things progressed.

"Go get cleaned up. I'll be in my office if you need me." Charlie said with a grin towards Dave as she stepped past him and into the palace.
 
Of course the memo have not yet been received by all the staff and Dave had to endure his name and title being exclaimed when he entered a room which held staff. Of course the walk which should have taken him all of five minutes got waylaid so many times with ministers and aides asking for his opinion or inset that he reached his room an hour later.

Shrugging out of the coat and selecting a more casual suit and shirt, he showered and dressed. Dropping the wet clothing in the clothing hamper and after taking care of his hair, he was on his way to Charlie's office. It was small and stuck into a corner, it was seldom that she used it, since she practically shadowed him most of the time.
 
Charlie was hard at work in her tiny office. She had been offered other accommodations in the palace, but she had always refused. No one knew why and was baffled why the person who was the closest to the royal family would stay in such a cramped office. The view was second to none. She could see the city beyond the palace and the beautiful gardens below, something that she might have to give up if she ever moved.

Glancing up from the paperwork, she was surprised to see Dave entering the room. "You are suppose to be enjoying an evening off."
 
He gave her a smirk and stepped over to the window to look out at the scenery.

"Yeah I heard that, but what is an evening off without my best friend? Oh sure I have Max and I do need to go see my mother, we will have to discuss this scandal. But at least you can allow me a few minutes of your time?"
 
"You had a few moments of my time earlier, Dave." Charlie said, glancing up at him with a small laugh. "It's sweet that you want to spend more time with me, however. I suppose that's what two people in love want to do."
 
He gave her a smile and stood at the window, looking out to the outside, "Well then we must have been in love for a long long time, since you spent so much time with me."

He chuckled and turned away from the window, "Well time to go and be productive, I will see you later Charlie."

He stooped and gave her a kiss on the cheek, followed with a light squeeze of her shoulder before he exited the room to go find his mother.
 
"You pay the bills, Dave." She said sarcastically as he mentioned that she spent a lot of her time with him. "I promised your dad that I would keep you out of trouble for as long as I could. I intend to keep the promise."
 
He gave her a smile before closing the door behind himself, then he walked towards the throne room, he was certain to meet his mother there.

And that was exactly where he found her, he took her offered hands and kissed the knuckles, then smiled at her. "You are looking better today mother."

She smiled in return and inclined her head, "I feel better knowing that you are save. You have need of me?"

He led her to one of the seats and helped her sit, then sat down on the floor at her feet. "Not really, just wanted to talk a bit, we have not seen a lot of each other lately and I feel guilty for it."

She touched his hair, "You shouldn't, but I will never turn down the chance to talk to you."

And talked they did, Dave was fond of her, she had the knowledge and power of a woman who had learned a lot through the years and a sharp wit to challenge his own. Though never a sparring match, the conversations still enlightened him and he learned a lot from her.

After parting, he got dressed and made his way to the indoor pool, a place he had missed a lot lately. With the grace of a born swimmer, he dove into the tepid water and started to swim.
 
Charlotte worked well into the evening. It was slightly unhealthy the way that she worked, but she had to make sure that everything was together. The future king's schedule was important to people, even if it didn't seem like it mattered to anyone else but her.

When she finally pulled herself away, she was starving and tired. She wondered if Dave were still around or if he had gone on to do something else while she had worked.
 
After a good workout, Dave had gotten dressed into loafers, chino pants a loose shirt and wool pullover. Out of habit he had gone to his study. Not really wanting to look at the files which lay in the tray, but he picked one up anyway.

By the time Charlie escaped her own office, Dave was still in his study. Reading the reports from all the ministers, going through lists of candidates and cross referencing them as he went along. He had clearly forgotten the time and the coronation fitting that Charlie had organized.
 
Max followed at Charlie's heels as she entered the study with some snacks for the three of them. The old hunting dog was as happy as could be as Charlie stopped and kissed Dave's cheek before she continued on to a seat by the window, offering a bone to Max before she relaxed with a long, tired sigh.

"We need a vacation." She murmured, giving Dave a grin as Max happily flopped to the floor and chewed on the offered bone.
 
"Well then you have to organize it before the coronation. You know how hectic life will be once that happens."

He looked up from the papers and smiled, "I am glad that you came in here and told me that we need a vacation and did not scold me for working."
 
"You never work. I'm happy to see it." Charlie said with a grin as Max thumped his tail against the floor, as happy as could be. "You should do it more often, in fact."
 
He paused and turned to look at her, "You know, one day that smart mouth of yours will land you in deep trouble."

He adjusted the papers in front of him and placed them back into their folder, then turned the chair to face her, a slight smirk on his lips, "Tickle trouble that is." And he started to wiggle his fingers at her.
 
"Don't you dare, Donovan." Charlie said, looking at him as he threatened to tickle her. "I know where you sleep at night and the guards won't stop me from exacting my revenge."

She poured herself a cup of tea, still glancing at him from the corner of her eye. It was best to keep her eye on him after he got into mischief.
 
Back
Top